The lackidasical complainer grows teeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:45 pm
I'm a lackidasical complainer. I'm one of those fence sitting, on the other hand, oh whatever kind, of girls.

Or maybe I'm just thick skinned.

I don't know.

Anyway....

When I do have a complaint I ususally sit on it a while. If the irkiness doesn't go away I'll write a nice little note expressing my problem and asking for help in resolving the issue.

Yesterday though!

Ho boy.

Here is what happened:

Mo and I usually go swimming three times a week at the pool near our house. We usually go in the evenings and we have never ever ever had any kind of problem at the pool.

The last three weeks have be insanely busy and we haven't had a chance to go swimming -- or really do anything else fun -- so yesterday we went to the morning open swim. I thought doing something fun and familiar would help us get back on schedule.

I don't know what set it off but one of the lifeguards on duty took an instant disliking to Mo and began to yell about everything he did - things that have always been a-okay at the pool before. Honestly, Mo couldn't move without this girl taking issue with it. There were six other lifeguards on duty and none of them seemed to think Mo's behavior was inappropriate.

Our swim was neither fun nor relaxing so I began to gather our things up to leave. At this point Mo's in a bit of a snit, crying and complaing because he doesn't want to leave and the lifeguard comes over and starts yelling at him that "he'd better listen to his momma and knock it off".

I guess my expression was enough to warn her to back off. It took every ounce of my willpower to not let her know that this wouldn't be happening at all if she hadn't been such a jerk.

By the time we showered and changed, instead of having calmed down I was steaming. I found the park director and complained.

And complained some more.

And maybe just a little bit more.

I didn't scream or yell or anything like that but I let them know in no uncertain terms that the lifeguards behavior was reprehensible.

I even lay in bed last night staring at the ceiling still mad at this lifeguard.

I'm still mad today.

So.

What I'm wondering is if this is some kind of "mom thing"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,093 • Replies: 9
No top replies

squinney

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
LOL! I came hear thinking Mo had had a sudden lapse to two-dom only to find.... Laughing

Yeah, it's a Mom thing. Bravo for not layin' that girls butt out on the ground! Would have been priceless for you to say to Mo at that moment "And this is how children are NOT to behave!" while pointing to the lifegaurd.

I know, ya can't really do that. But it woulda been funny.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
Hmmm. Yes, I think so. I distinctly remember the feeling of growing a spine thanks to my kids. It's one thing, I guess, if I let someone push me around. It's another if I don't stand up for my kids or if I don't stand up for myself in front of them.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:52 pm
Sounds like a "parent thing" to me... (I'm not a mom so I can't comment there! Smile )
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 04:03 pm
Oh yes, of course, a "parent thing" for sure.

I'm very relieved to know that I'm in good company!

I nearly did lay that girls but out. I don't think I've ever come so close.

You nailed it, freeduck, standing up for them is a whole 'nother animal.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 04:13 pm
Yeah.

Trying to push me around is one thing.

Harrassing little kids is something completely different.

Burns me up when I see someone preying on the defenseless.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 04:15 pm
Totally a parent thing!

Stretch that spine.

One of my first "ooh she's good" encounters with Noddy was when I expressed my apoplectic rage at this idiot (OK, it's coming back) mother who allowed her big preschoolerish kid to claw at sozlet's eyes when she was barely old enough to walk, drawing blood (BLOOD!!!) on her cheek. The mom like giggled and barely shrugged or something. No sanction given to her kid.

Oh man I was MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noddy mentioned a mama tiger in her response and reassured me that my anger was not actually psychotic.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 05:03 pm
Thanks for the kind words, Sozobe.

Boomer--you missed all the pre-natal classes the rest of us took. You see, honey, when the rabbit dies, the tiger moves in.

All the same, you have your Mama Tiger. Welcome to the club!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 05:06 pm
Boomerang: I presume you and Mo both emptied your bladders in the pool before exiting?

You know my philosophy ... get mad and get even.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 05:30 pm
It is very odd for me to have that kind of anger -- and to hold on to it even after having my say.

It does feel downright psychotic.

I've always thought that I didn't have those "maternal instincts" I've heard so much about.

I'm such a late bloomer.

Thank you all for assuring me that responses was not abnormal.

I feel like maybe I should get some kind of rank stripes to sew onto my sleeve.

A commererative medallion, perhaps.

I'm becoming more Mother than mOther.
0 Replies