What’s up in London? Murder rate surpassed NY

coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:23 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Do we know ethnic backgrounds and religions of perpetrators?

The police are not allowed to record ethnicity or religion anymore. It offends certain minorities, three guesses on who that minority would be.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:33 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Do you think ‘societal change’ is their euphemism for an influx of Islamic or other types of people who seem more prone to violence, or do they mean something else by societal change.
You mean, the Met uses an otherwise fixed term differently? Then it must have happened more recently because senior officers published papers [I just did a quick scan through various publications] with the usual use of this term.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
These constant mentions of ‘societal changes’ and that other vague references to ‘London’s virus’ makes it seem people are trying not to say something.

It does look like police’s method of community involvement is an important piece of the solution.

coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:38 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
It does look like police’s method of community involvement

Where the police can go safely it might make some difference. I don't think many police are found in the Tower Hamlets section of London, they have their own Sharia police there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:39 pm
This was odd.

Ex-Met Police Ch Supt Leroy Logan says it is proof that "London's violent traits have become a virus".

“London’s violent traits”

I don’t understand what that means.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:47 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
These constant mentions of ‘societal changes’ and that other vague references to ‘London’s virus’ makes it seem people are trying not to say something.

It does look like police’s method of community involvement is an important piece of the solution.
"Soietal changes" is a term used in criminology. (For instance, it's taught at the German Police University (they have two full professors in the department of "Criminology and interdisciplinary crime prevention".)

Community involvement certainly shouldn't been neglected. But I do think, that "public health" is at least as important, if only because it works in Scotland.
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What societal changes do they refer to?
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
"Societal changes" is a term used in..

bullshit answers that always eliminate the obvious answers. Overthinking motives based on what some academic says is a waste of time and exactly what every criminal wants an excuse for what he or she did.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:04 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
What societal changes do they refer to?
I don't know what the quoted senior police officer referred to, but generally the term includes social change, social justice, social activism, civil engagement, civil dialogue, community building, social capital, cultural vitality, community development.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:07 pm
@Lash,
Sorry, I'm not so fluent in American English that I could translate that.
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lash wrote:

"Soietal changes" is a term used in criminology. (For instance, it's taught at the German Police University (they have two full professors in the department of "Criminology and interdisciplinary crime prevention".)

Community involvement certainly shouldn't been neglected. But I do think, that "public health" is at least as important, if only because it works in Scotland.

You seemed to have an understanding of the term due to the bolded part of your response. They seem to be saying societal changes are the root of the problem. I was hoping for an example of specific societal changes...

Thanks for trying though.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:15 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I was hoping for an example of specific societal changes...

I already gave you one, Islam.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:19 pm
Quote:
Sadiq Khan's London: Six Stabbings In 90 Minutes

Quote:
Since Khan took office, crime has increased by 12%. In the months of February and March, for the first time in modern history, London surpassed the homicide rate of New York City. This was mostly contributed to a spike in knife attacks. Moreover, the city has seen "epidemic" levels of acid attacks, which are common in Muslim majority countries.

Societal changes.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/29134/sadiq-khans-london-six-stabbings-90-minutes-amanda-prestigiacomo
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:22 pm
@coldjoint,
I do realize that you are forwarding that reason for the increase in murders.

I’m trying to squeeze an answer out of the articles and law enforcement officials’ quotes; they definitely seem to be tiptoeing around something. They may mean poor parenting, but that wouldn’t explain London’s ‘violent traits’ comment.

I just wouldn’t want to believe it without facts.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:23 pm
@coldjoint,
Uh oh. Acid attacks.

I thought acid attacks were primarily used in India. Haven’t read about it in a long time, though. Seems to be connected with Indian girls who refused to go through with arranged marriages?
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:32 pm
Little more clarification. Similar lines of thought and a bit more detail.
They do cite parenting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-43654831

The youth culture seems to be falling apart at the moment. Young people don't feel like they fit in with society and there doesn't seem to be a voice for young people so at the moment there's a bit of carnage. On the streets it seems to be feuds from social media, from gang rivalry, postcode wars. At the moment it seems to be an epidemic of violence between the young people and it's getting worse.

"It's a discussion and conversation we need to have, to address what's happening and think what the community is doing.

"What is it that young people are lacking - what can we do? what opportunities can we create for young people?

"They feel that this is the life they are accustomed to - but there is a lot more out there and we need to find out what will keep them motivated.

"Due to spending cuts there has been less policing, community centres are closing. There's been not money directed at the third sector for a while and with all these cuts and reductions we've got more young people falling out on to the streets.

"Young people argue on social media over nothing. A boyfriend or girlfriend is in a feud and it escalates and you get people getting involved in situations that didn't necessarily involve that young person first hand.

"Young males are coming from homes with no fathers, no male role models. Many are lacking love.

"At the moment there are a lot of parents trying to be their children's friends rather than being the authoritarian person in their lives. When it comes to the stage of trying to impose discipline it's too late and the young person is 15 and has learnt their own way of life.

"I've got to be honest - looking back at my mindset when I was 15 or 16 - nothing would have stopped me.

"Until you've either killed someone or it's you in that body bag you're just going to get a Youth Referral Order and you'll just carry on."

0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:33 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Seems to be connected with Indian girls who refused to go through with arranged marriages?

If they were committed by Hindus, but we will never know, females treated badly and they have honor killings also. Of course that does not make them bad, right? Islam has been known to borrow from all religions and making it theirs. But we won't know if Muslims are doing it either.

But what does it matter if the crime comes with a religion, society can just change and start accepting it, right again? I do not think they prosecute for FGM. Remember crime is rising and authorities are baffled.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 11:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
"The teenage years are associated with risky and problematic behaviours for everyone. But these behaviours are aggravated by poverty, inequality, school exclusions, mental illness and chaotic family circumstances. Rather than thinking of violence among young people solely as a crime problem, it should be considered a health risk, alongside drug use, smoking, drinking and unprotected sex.
Dr Anthony Gunter, a criminologist from the University of East London, author of Race, gangs and youth violence - Policy, prevention and policing, quoted in The Guardian.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 06:21 am
Another interesting viewpoint.

Do Black Lives Matter in London?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/06/david-lammy-kids-are-getting-killed-where-is-the-prime-minister-where-is-sadiq-khan
Excerpt:

David Lammy is one of those politicians whose public profile has never correlated with his position in his party, or converted into frontbench power, and this sort of maverick celebrity operator tends to attract suspicion. Elected to represent Tottenham 18 years ago, the 46-year-old has at various key moments – the Grenfell fire, the London riots – distinguished himself in the public’s affection by seizing individual ownership of the agenda. To some, particularly in Westminster, this highly personalised brand of political identity is opportunistic self-promotion, artfully disguised as heroism.

To me, his politics look sincere and principled, I’ve just never been entirely sure what they are. He used to joke: “I’m not Blair, I’m not Brown, I’m just black.” And he has successfully eluded all association with any ideological faction with such dexterity that he can sometimes look a bit slippery, as if his public persona is contingent on whatever strategy he has devised to please his audience.

We meet in the Bernie Grant Arts Centre in Tottenham on Thursday, to discuss the violent crime surge that has cost 51 lives in London this year. More than half of the victims have been young – in their 20s and younger – and poor. I am not expecting much more than for Lammy to offer carefully calibrated, bland reassurances. It takes less than five minutes to see how wrong I am.

Lammy woke up on Tuesday to a text informing him that Tanesha Melbourne-Blake, a 17-year-old girl, had been gunned down in a drive-by shooting in his constituency. This time, he decided, he would not let the murder go unnoticed.

“To be honest,” he says, “I was shocked that four weeks ago, when a moped and pillion passenger gunned down a young man standing outside the cinema in Wood Green, that there was not more national attention on that shooting.” How does he explain the apparent indifference? “Because he was black.” He delivers this with such force, his words ring out across the cafe. “Because he was black,” he repeats. “And I think we’ve got to ask ourselves, do black lives matter?”

For the next hour, Lammy barely draws breath. Only twice does he pause to consider the impact of what he is about to say. Even in private, I have never heard a politician hold forth with such utter disregard for his or her audience.

The first thing Lammy wants us to understand is the blameless ease with which a child who goes home to an empty council estate flat because his mum can’t afford childcare while she’s at work, can become a gang member. All it takes is a gift of new trainers, he says, for which in return the child is soon asked to carry a little package round the corner, and before long, the 12-year-old is earning more in one week than his parents make in a year. The white middle-class market for cocaine is booming, Lammy says, citing reports by Interpol and Europol, and he has seen for himself how easy it is to service because dealers in Tottenham have shown him. “People are ordering drugs on WhatsApp, Snapchat. It’s easy.” One young constituent was caught selling cocaine in Aberdeen: dealers in London now operate what are known as “county lines”, supplying cocaine to every region of the country. Do middle-class customers safe in neighbourhoods far away from Tottenham’s turf wars have blood on their hands? For a moment he pauses....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 07:19 am
Knife crime criminals in England spend half as much time behind bars than those in Scotland
Quote:
Criminals convicted of carrying a knife spend half as much time behind bars in England and Wales than those convicted of the same offence in Scotland, where violence involving knives has fallen, analysis has revealed.

Research by The Sunday Telegraph also found almost half of repeat offenders in England are not given an immediate custodial sentence, despite a pledge to crack down on those found with a knife more than once.

A study by this newspaper compared the way knife crime is tackled in Scotland and in England and Wales after data revealed forces north of the border have successfully cut knife crime dramatically over the last ten years.

It revealed someone convicted of possession of a knife in England could expect around six months in prison on average last year, compared to a year and three months for those convicted in Scotland - more than double.

Amber Rudd, the Home Secretary, has announced plans for a new law to crack down on knife, gun and acid crimes today - which could be brought in within weeks.

But experts have warned that the justice system currently allows too much flexibility when it comes to sending someone straight to prison for a second knife offence, as sources told this newspaper that there needs to be a broader conversation about whether prison is the right place for young men who arm themselves with knives out of fear.

Will Linden, the acting director of Scotland's Violence Reduction Unit, said much of the success north of the border is down to changing young people's attitudes towards carrying knives, coupled with getting tough on persistent offenders.

But he warned mandatory knife sentencing can do more harm than good if it ends up targeting young people on the fringes of gangs who carry knives to keep themselves safe who are then further indoctrinated when they are behind bars.

The unit, which was set up in 2005 to tackle notoriously high levels of knife violence in Glasgow, is credited with reducing it by taking a public health approach and making it the priority of the NHS, schools, police and youth workers.

"Fear and fashion were the motivators" for young people carrying knives in a lot of cases, he said, adding that many of them thought the problem "was more prolific than it really was" and chose to carry knives to protect themselves from the perceived threat.

Only a small number of knife carriers were actually gang members.

The unit used targeted advertising campaigns in cinemas and on the radio to explain the consequences of carrying knives but also to stop kids "thinking it was cool to carry weapons and stop them thinking their friends were carrying them".

The project found little evidence to suggest that scaring people stops them from carrying knives.

The team then targeted their resources on teenagers "who were really entrenched in criminal lifestyles".

"That required mentoring, one to one trauma treatment, giving them more hope and aspiration rather than just education - which works but not necessarily with those who are deeply, deeply involved because they are already aware that they could go to prison and they're not scared of it.

"They're not short of knowledge, what they are short of it hope, they're short of someone saying we can help you, to give them a new direction in life."

The Home Office has also launched an anti-knife poster campaign which will go out on social media, depicting young people under the caption "knife free".

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 04:49:43