What’s up in London? Murder rate surpassed NY

oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 02:13 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I’ve spoken out against the NRA.
What do you have against civil liberties?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 10:14 pm
Knife and weapon offences reach highest level since 2009
Quote:
Official figures show 21,484 offences were recorded across England and Wales in 2018

The criminal justice system dealt with the highest number of knife and offensive weapon offences in nearly a decade last year, official figures have shown.

In 2018, 21,484 knife and offensive weapon offences were recorded, the most dealt with since 2009, when 25,103 offences were registered, according to the Ministry of Justice.

The figures come after the chancellor, Philip Hammond, handed an extra £100m to police forces in England and Wales after a spate of fatal stabbings led to a renewed focus on the response to knife crime and fresh debate over police resources.

The justice minister, Rory Stewart, said: “Knife crime destroys lives and shatters communities, and this government is doing everything in its power to tackle its devastating consequences.

“Sentences for those carrying knives are getting tougher – they are more likely to be sent straight to prison, and for longer – than at any time in the last decade.

“But we are doing more – yesterday the government committed a further £100m to tackle knife crime, while our serious violence strategy works to prevent young people picking up a knife in the first place.”

Total funding for forces in England and Wales fell by 19% in real terms from 2010-11 to 2018-19, according to the National Audit Office. Officer numbers have dropped by nearly 20,000 since 2010.

Elsewhere, the figures show offenders are now more likely to receive an immediate custodial sentence for a knife and offensive weapon offence.

In 2018, 37% of knife and offensive weapon offences ended in an immediate custodial sentence, compared with 20% in 2008.

The average length of the custodial sentences received also increased over the same period, from 5.3 months to 8.1 months.

For 72% of offenders it was their first knife or offensive weapon possession offence, a proportion that has been decreasing and is at its lowest level since the release of the statistics began in 2008, when it was 80%.

https://i.imgur.com/A9UQCuVl.jpg

... ... ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 May, 2019 11:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Rising knife crime linked to council cuts, study suggests
Quote:
Places in England that have seen the biggest council spending cuts to youth services are likely to see the biggest increases in knife crime, a study says.

Research by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Knife Crime showed the average council cut real-terms spending on youth services - such as youth clubs - by 40% between 2014/15 and 2017/18.

And the four worst-hit areas have seen some of the biggest knife crime rises.

APPG chair MP Sarah Jones said youth services cannot just be "nice to have".

She added: "We cannot hope to turn around the knife crime epidemic if we don't invest in our young people.

"Every time I speak to young people they say the same thing: they need more positive activities, safe spaces to spend time with friends and programmes to help them grow and develop."
... ... ...

The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Knife Crime
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 12:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Senior officer suggests austerity fuelled surge in violent crime
Quote:
Superintendent Darius Hemmatpour said that taking 20,000 police of the streets created a void

Funding cuts to police and public services that previously helped stop people, especially the young, from offending has helped fuel the surge in violent crime, a police chief has said.

Supt Darius Hemmatpour of Scotland Yard’s violent crime task force, said stabbings and other life-threatening attacks in London spiked after 2017, and suggested that austerity was a factor.

Speaking at the Police Superintendents’ Association annual conference he said: “Austerity has obviously impacted on individual families and households.

“Public sector services were cut. There comes a point that services previously available were no longer there.

“People on the edge of criminality may have previously had an intervention that may have diverted them away, but with the loss of those services, that intervention was not there.”

He added: “If you take 20,000 police officers off the streets of England and Wales, because of austerity, that creates a void.”

Hemmatpour’s comments echo statements from others in policing, linking violent crime to the effects of austerity. He said a massive focus and deployment of resources was now slowly reversing the trend for those aged under 25.

Boris Johnson has pledged to recruit 20,000 police officers over the next three years, the exact amount lost after funding cuts by previous Conservative governments since 2010. Senior ministers claimed at the time that crime would not rise, but the most serious offences did.

Hemmatpour said changes in drugs markets were also a factor, with phenomenon’s such as county lines leading to violence between competing drugs gangs.

He said knife victims were suffering more ferocious injuries, with surgeons reporting up to eight woulds inflicted in an attack: “Five years ago you would see two to three knife wounds, now there are seven to eight.”

He added that disputes were becoming more intense, fuelled by social media: “Before there might be a punch. What social media has done is antagonise people, you can really rile people.”

“I’m not sure killing someone is in the thought process, to say: ‘That was my endgame’. I just think it is done with such hatred and venom, the reality and the severity of those stab wounds lend themself to homicide.”

Weapons being used now include “Rambo-style knives”, tornado and zombie knives, Hemmatpour said.

Met chiefs have said they wanted to cut the level of stabbings, especially those suffered by those under 25 years of age. Hemmatpour said there were now 370 fewer victims under 25 because of a phalanx of measures but the level was still too high.

Stop and search was a vital tactic, he added, with the Met having increased its use to 25,000 a month and as well as expanding the use of section 60 powers which allow stops without reasonable suspicion.

n one day, Sunday, police started investigations into three deaths in London following a drive-by shooting in north-west London, the fatal stabbing of a mother also in north-west London, and the death of a man in south-east London who died after being hit by a bullet he had fired which ricocheted off a nearby car.

Privately, despite all the extra effort, police think the level of homicides in London this year is on course to be around the same as the 135 killings seen in 2018.

0 Replies

beantownmike

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:20 am
@Lash,
If you haven't already read the book Freakonomics, I'd suggest it.
It explains a significant reason (Roe V Wade) why the murder rate in NY & the US in general went down.
0 Replies

beantownmike

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:22 am
@Lash,
My question about all this. Weren't Guns banned for Citizen ownership by the English government?
From what I understand that is the case.
And the murder rate went up... Hmmm.... So I guess guns don't actually kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:34 am
@beantownmike,
They kill a lot more with guns.

This whole issue has been debunked, London surpassed NY for one month two years ago. That was it.

Only stupid people still go on about, the same stupid people who use phrases like "English government."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:32 am
@beantownmike,
beantownmike wrote:
Weren't Guns banned for Citizen ownership by the English government?
According to the (unwritten) British constitution, gun ownership in the U.K. is a privilege, not a right. (England doesn't have an own government - English affairs are handled within the UK's government and parliament)

However, firearms may be licensed and are held on a firearm or shotgun certificate.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 05:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Whereas the late King James the Second by the Assistance of diverse evill Councellors Judges and Ministers imployed by him did endeavour to subvert and extirpate the Protestant Religion and the Lawes and Liberties of this Kingdome.

By raising and keeping a Standing Army within this Kingdome in time of Peace without Consent of Parlyament and Quartering Soldiers contrary to Law.

By causing severall good Subjects being Protestants to be disarmed at the same time when Papists were both Armed and Imployed contrary to Law.

And thereupon the said Lords Spirituall and Temporall and Commons pursuant to their respective Letters and Elections being now assembled in a full and free Representative of this Nation takeing into their most serious Consideration the best meanes for attaining the Ends aforesaid Doe in the first place (as their Auncestors in like Case have usually done) for the Vindicating and Asserting their auntient Rights and Liberties, Declare

That the raising or keeping a standing Army within the Kingdome in time of Peace unlesse it be with Consent of Parlyament is against Law.

That the Subjects which are Protestants may have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Conditions and as allowed by Law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/WillandMarSess2/1/2

The right exists. It's the very same preexisting right that is referred to in our Second Amendment. The problem is that in the UK their legislative statutes have the power to overrule their rights.

The only rights that cannot be overruled by their statutes are the rights that are applied externally by the European Convention on Human Rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 05:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
They kill a lot more with guns.

Except, they don't.

Statistics are very clear that gun availability has little impact on homicide rates.

You guys gave up your freedom for no reason.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:29 am
@oralloy,
Don't talk nonsense. The homicide rate in America is through the roof, because of guns.

The only thing statistics are very clear about is you don't understand them.

We are free, we can cross the road without being arrested, eat clean food, drink a beer in public and place a bet.

And our children are free from the NRA nonces.

You don't know what freedom is, someone else does your thinking for you and it shows.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:36 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
You guys gave up your freedom for no reason.
You think, it should be re-instituted "That the Subjects which are Protestants may have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Conditions and as allowed by Law"?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Dunblane was a pretty good reason. There was overwhelming public support, and now our children are safe from the NRA, unlike American kids.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I think that technically it is still on the books. It's just that newer statutes have overruled it, meaning that it has no legal force currently. If those newer statutes were repealed, the original statute from 1689 would go back into force.

To answer your question, I'm not sure. I certainly wish for the world to be free. But on the other hand, they say that they don't want it.

I would certainly applaud if they repealed those newer statutes and returned their nation to freedom. But I think it should only be done if the people there actually want it.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Don't talk nonsense.

I never talk nonsense.

izzythepush wrote:
The homicide rate in America is through the roof, because of guns.

That is incorrect. Statistics are very clear that gun availability has little impact on homicide rates.

izzythepush wrote:
The only thing statistics are very clear about is you don't understand them.

That is incorrect. I understand them quite well.

izzythepush wrote:
You don't know what freedom is,

Sure I do. Free people have the right to carry a gun when they go out in public.

Note for clarity: It is not enough that people are allowed to carry a gun. A serf may be allowed to do something. Free people have the right to do it.

izzythepush wrote:
someone else does your thinking for you and it shows.

That is incorrect. The fact that hardly anyone can ever point out any errors in my posts is evidence that I do my own thinking.

If I had let someone else do my thinking for me, my posts would not be nearly so error free.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:45 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

ITo answer your question, I'm not sure.

That's putting it mildly.

Freedom means not being told what to do by other countries.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:47 am
@oralloy,
You only talk nonsense, because somebody else thinks for you so you're never too sure of what you're saying.

Lickspittles are never free, and you're the biggest brown noser on A2K.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:50 am
@izzythepush,
That is incorrect. You cannot point out anything untrue in anything that I've said.

Your inability to point out anything untrue in my posts is evidence that I am doing my own thinking. Anyone else would be making mistakes.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Freedom means not being told what to do by other countries.

I have no desire to impose freedom on any other country.

I am saddened by their lack of freedom, but if that's what they choose for themselves, so be it.

On the other hand, here in America we will always choose freedom.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:54 am
@oralloy,
You do. You're upset that the NRA aren't murdering our kids.

Well tough ****. We value our freedom and our children's lives.

Now off you go and pay your health insurance like a good little drone.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:24:56