Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/9Ch1oZAl.jpg

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/nHGiYLal.jpg

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 07:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This is the *first* thing they should change. Good article.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 07:32 am
@Lash,
Not long ago you guessed that it was time to outlaw penises in Britain.
Now you want knife possession to be punished harder?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 07:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Knife crime: news headlines are predictable - but what of the causes?
Quote:
After knee-jerk reactions and soundbites we must join up the dots between cause and effe

It can’t be said that covering terrorist attacks is easy, but, to a degree, it is at least straightforward. The gun is fired, the knife wielded, the bomb goes off and we dispatch our brightest and best. They go to the scene, find out what happened, talk to those in range, file their stories. In the days that pass, we mourn the dead, assess the claim of responsibility. Praise the first responders. The world moves on.

But what happens when the horror comes in instalments. When there is no one scene of the crime? No claim of responsibility, no immediate and dastardly logic?

Such has been the experience again in past days as the news media has tried to get to grips with an upsurge in London’s knife and gun crime. It was Easter – relatively news light – so the story featured prominently. It led the Ten O’Clock News and Newsnight and made it to the Today programme.

The Sun splashed on the drive-by shooting of 17-year-old Tanesha Melbourne-Blake, the 47th suspected murder in London this year “She died in mum’s arms”. “How many more innocents must die,” demanded the Express, reporting her death and that of 16-year-old Amaan Shakoor, shot just a few miles away. “Another senseless murder shames nation”, the paper said. It also provided a graphic list of the “ruthless gangs that blight Britain’s major cities”.

The sequence of killings was, indeed, horrific. Each yielded its backstory of the bubbly personality, the futility of potential cut short.

But for those who live in the capital, who watch BBC London News or read the Evening Standard, there was, sadly, nothing revelatory. The variant was the tempo and aggregation. It was like watching a familiar movie speeded up.

Like every modern country, Britain faces problems both acute and chronic. The problem with youth violence and consequent community tragedy, spans both categories.

I regard our media as peerless in its coverage of the acute. Consider the depth and breadth of coverage when disaster strikes, when the plane crashes, when lives are taken. The long ingrained tradition of ingenious ferreting means information is quickly unearthed and professionally communicated.

Sometimes, the tradition is pushed too far; witness the condemnation of the Kerslake Report into isolated incidents of press misbehaviour after the Manchester Arena bombing. But generally, we know what to do when tragedy strikes and do it well.

When the problem is chronic, however, we suffer system failure, and therein lies a problem. So often the chronic, underlying problem explains the acute. By failing to be aware of, or understand, the chronic problem, we are constantly surprised by the acute. So it was with the Easter killings when the chronic problem of youth violence became the acute one of multiple deaths. How to explain them?

There was no shortage of an emergency diagnosis … Police cuts: Sophie Linden, the deputy mayor for policing in the capital blamed the government for disastrous economies. Lack of youth provision: up popped a phalanx of youth leaders detailing the struggle they have making a viable and valuable contribution. Lack of mental health provision. Gangs: I saw testimony from figures who were once in “gangs” but have since straightened out. They, too, talked of how hard it has become to divert “at risk” youth from that path. Stafford Scott, the venerable, straight-talking community leader from Tottenham, was called to pronounce, as he is whenever the acute manifests north of the capital. Think of the Broadwater Farm disturbances and the disorder after the shooting of Mark Duggan seven years ago. If in doubt, seeking orientation, call Stafford. I know that’s the drill. I have done it myself.

And all that has its place in the immediate aftermath. But is this really the best way to get to grips with what’s happening? Surely the extent the media was blindsided with regard to the anger and alienation that led to the Brexit vote should have told us something. Ditto the blind spot we discovered when the Grenfell Tower burnt down and we suddenly were exposed to lives and a world we barely knew existed; and didn’t need to until the chronic became acute.

This is not a criticism. It’s an observation. And it’s not a blanket assertion. Some reporters have very noticeably hit the road since the Brexit vote. The Guardian’s John Harris was garlanded at this year’s British Press Awards for doing just that. Gary Younge has won well deserved awards and plaudits for his ongoing project on knife crime Beyond The Blade.

It is laudable that they and others – notably the Evening Standard – have elected to go beyond the acute, and it is encouraging that press peers have feted them for doing so. But even better would be a sense that, within the decision to celebrate that form of journalism, lies a statement of intent.

Can we say there is sufficient space in the press, on television and radio and online for the sort of pieces that flag up chronic conditions before tragedy strikes. That truly joins the dots? The lack of youth opportunities, the way that young men who fail at, and who are failed by, schools exercise their limited options thereafter. The way they coalesce. Space for journalism that examines the assumptions.

It’s a gang problem, we’re told. What is a gang? Is it like the Mafia with leaders and a structure. Or are we talking about mates who live close by and hang out for want of better things to do? What is the draw of that way of life? How many of the categorisations and definitions relied upon, as we scramble to cover the acute, actually bear relation to people’s lives?

There are practical implications to recalibrating. Inquiry into the chronic takes time and commitment. It incurs financial and opportunity costs. I was impressed with the approach explained to me by a BBC journalist friend in the days after Grenfell. “My boss has told me to go down there, and not come back,” she said. It means, perhaps, dwelling a bit more on journalism some might deride as worthy.

In the 1980s, in a former life at the BBC in the south-east, I was one of a network of community affairs correspondents. Every English region had one. Our brief was to connect with the people and communities routinely overlooked, and to air their stories. Network News had its own; it was a stepping stone for the now celebrated bulletin anchor Reeta Chakrabarti. Time moved on, and so did the network of correspondents, but while it lasted, the initiative did pay due regard to the fact that we didn’t know all we should, and that the omission was important. Maybe, if there is to be a journalism that links the chronic to the acute, the time for that thinking has come again. Disaster arrives, tragedy strikes and quickly we must explain it. Wouldn’t we better inform the public if we were better informed ourselves?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 09:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I want people who stab people to do more time.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 09:29 am
I think I fell prey to a ego-cultural reading of this:

“Amber Rudd, the Home Secretary, has announced plans for a new law to crack down on knife, gun and acid crimes today - which could be brought in within weeks.”

Knife, gun, and acid crimes read to me as having committed a crime with one of those items; it appears the article focuses on just being in possession of those items.

I agree that more innocent knife-carriers would be swept up with the potential murderers.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 11:17 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I want people who stab people to do more time.
That's okay, but the article is about "possession of knives". And exactly that's one of the reasons (perhaps THE reason, why The Telegraph published that) why it's better in Scotland than in England and Wales knife-crime related.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 11:20 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

“Amber Rudd, the Home Secretary, has announced plans for a new law to crack down on knife, gun and acid crimes today - which could be brought in within weeks.”

Knife, gun, and acid crimes read to me as having committed a crime with one of those items; it appears the article focuses on just being in possession of those items.
Quote:
Anyone buying a knife online will be banned from having it sent to a residential address, under a government crackdown following a surge in street stabbings.

New legislation, to be brought forward within weeks, will also make it illegal to possess zombie knives and knuckledusters in private – or any knife on further education premises.

Rapid firing rifles will be banned and the legal definition for threatening someone with an offensive weapon changed to make prosecutions easier.

The measures – which also include a ban on acid sales to under-18s – will all be included in a new “serious violence strategy”, to be launched by the home secretary, Amber Rudd, on Monday.
Source
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 11:23 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I agree that more innocent knife-carriers would be swept up with the potential murderers.

You must have missed this.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 11:45 am
Quote:
UK: Social workers and police knew about plight of Muslim rape gang victim, but did nothing

Much bigger fish to fry in the UK. Nothing advice from a pompous German is going to stop. If anything those comments enable Islam. The silence is deafening when the UK's problem is the appeasement of Islam.
Quote:
“Police insisted there was nothing they could do.”

Quote:
For them to have said otherwise would have been “racist” and “Islamophobic.” British officials sacrificed their nation’s girls, and hence their nation’s future, for fear of professional difficulties coming from the nation’s Left. The British Left has destroyed Britain, and will likely be rewarded with the Prime Minister’s chair for doing so. Theresa May’s “Conservative” government is, of course, completely sold out to the Left as it is, but its successor will be even worse.

Britain is, as everyone knows, finished.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2018/04/uk-social-workers-and-police-knew-about-plight-of-muslim-rape-gang-victim-but-did-nothing

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 12:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
To have senior police officers advocating for primary prevention from maternity services onwards shows the kind of cross-agency thinking that has helped Glasgow and other Scottish regions succeed.
If you've got a highly accessible support for parenting and families, this will dramatically alter children’s life trajectories. But this requires all the agencies involved to work closely together.Youth services - and of course the police - have a strong role in this development.

Knife and gun crime in England and Wales has risen steadily since 2014 ... ... 2014, that's when austerity started to bite.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 12:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
If you've got a highly accessible support for parenting and families,

If you had families that did not need support to do what families do the problem would disappear. The government manufactures so many ills that it in reality supports, it is more destructive to very things that spawned Western civilization, which seems to be the solution to them, destroying Western cultures.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 05:44 pm
Quote:
Hungarian and Romanian news says Munster monster, a Muslim Kurd

Maybe a naturalized German, but a Muslim. I see no MSM reporting this, why?

https://vladtepesblog.com/2018/04/08/hungarian-and-romanian-news-says-munster-monster-a-muslim-kurd/

http://searchlight-germany.blogspot.de/2018/04/terror-in-munster-romanian-television.html
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 08:35 pm
https://i0.wp.com/therightscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Sadiq-Khan-knives.jpeg?resize=800%2C387

Quote:
No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law.
Mayor of London (@MayorofLondon)

Laughing Laughing Laughing
http://therightscoop.com/nobody-has-a-right-to-carry-a-knife-says-muslim-mayor-of-london/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 10:06 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
]Maybe a naturalized German, but a Muslim. I see no MSM reporting this, why?
Yes, we Westphalians were naturalised.
Actually, like all the others, in 1871 (though we didn't get a German passport before 1913).
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 10:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That is not the question I asked, but I am supposed to welcome irrelevant trivia.

OK Wally. Anything else to deflect that is anywhere, at least, near the present?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 10:25 pm
@coldjoint,
Might well be that you know more than the locals from the village, he lived until he left grammar school. (Half an hour away from where I live, nearly the sam distance from here to Münster.) My bad.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 10:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
My bad.

Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 11:05 pm
Quote:
The alarming rise in knife and gun crime is largely down to “improvements in police recording”, a controversial new Home Office strategy claims today.

Amber Rudd, the home secretary, will risk a backlash when she points to better collection of statistics as the explanation for “about half” of the recent increase in violent crime.

Some police chiefs, as well as opposition politicians, have warned the shrinking of police forces – 21,000 officers have been lost since 2010 – is starving the police of intelligence gathered from patrols.

But the £40m “serious violence strategy” will state: “About half the rise in robbery, knife and gun crime is due to improvements in police recording.

“For the remainder, drug-related cases seem to be an important driver. Between 2014-15 and 2016-17, homicides where either the victim or suspect were known to be involved in using or dealing illicit drugs increased from 50 per cent to 57 per cent.”

It will warn that “crack cocaine use is rising in England and Wales” – which has “strong links to serious violence”.

Ministers took to the airwaves on Sunday to dismiss any link between the surge in stabbings and shootings – there have been more than 50 killings this year in London alone – and falling police numbers.

The charge has been led by Ian Blair, the former Scotland Yard commissioner, who said London was paying the price for the undermining of intelligence-led neighbourhood policing – with not enough officers “visible on the street”.

But Ms Rudd, writing in The Sunday Telegraph, condemned “political quarrels”, dismissing the idea that “there are not enough officers on the streets”.
The Independent
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 02:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There's now a discussion going on about a leaked home office research ...

https://i.imgur.com/98LBNd2l.jpg

... on the likely between rising violent crime and police cuts.

https://i.imgur.com/2QzzI9Xl.jpg
(sreenshots via The Guardian)

Amber Rudd denies having seen the leaked document.
She said, she had no knowledge at all about it, but blames the London mayor and police and crime commissioners for the cuts in police numbers. (The latter are blaming the government.)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 03:04:30