I'm Sick Of The Rap Battles.

Gargamel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 07:57 am
Of course you have a right to talk about what you dislike. That's what 50% of A2K posts are about!

Where I disagree with you is, first, the generalization that all rap is about violence and big asses. It's not. And even songs that contain lyrics about those things, there's often a bigger picture for folks who aren't flustered by "uncouth" language.

By going on to say then that this is a reflection of the mind or intellect of someone who raps becomes another generalization altogether.

If you're talking about the rap threads--yeah, not the most talented people out there, but they stick to their own thread and it's not my problem. But you made a comment on rap in general at the end of your post, and I was quick to defend it, because a lot of people in this forum criticize rap without having listened to much of it.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:47 pm
Considering how much interest there are in rap battles, I agree with CarbonSystem that they should get their own section. It just doesn't seem to fit in the original writing section.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 07:16 pm
Ok, Kool-Aid, good point.
There really is some rap that doesn't fit those generalizations, and I like some rap.
I withdraw my generalizations, and often a hand in peace nigga' Razz
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 08:46 am
Peace, flushd! (offering hand)
0 Replies

scrapz

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 12:05 am
man i remember dis thread, does tear jerked punk still post?
0 Replies

DJBattlefield

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:21 am
now this topic is boring..... blah blah rap, bah blah lyrics too harsh, most of the highest paid and most respected people are in the rap game, if we wernt in there having rap battles, you old biddys wouldnt be in here talking bout it, face it, if we wernt battling, this topic wouldnt exsist and able2know web site would be just another boring web site. We battle and talk, you talk about our battling. if you dont like rap battles then start a hoe down, let me start you all off

grab your partner dosey doe
make sure you dont step on ones toe
if you do then your a shmoe
lets have tea and biscuits at the rodeo.
0 Replies

DJBattlefield

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:27 am
wow i just realised the last person to post in here was in july......... what does that tell ya....

hoe down!!!!

tap your heel and pull a face
lets see who can make first base
do be shy now take a punt
or you'll never be able to see her C.............
.....ooop wait toooooo harsh
0 Replies

Silverback Viper

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
hey rap battles give some of us something to do
0 Replies

tcb

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 06:32 pm
What happened to the poem?
Those 14 line sonnets
With couplets well honed
Were they erased by the ages
Relegated to pages unknown
Thrown in a heap by the side of the road
Are there only rhymes these days
Seemingly thrown and sown with
Haphazard pride
Vulgar to their core
Besmirching creative purity
As if the F Word could cure illiteracy
Purporting that bullying and badgering
Is a from of artistry
The meek, the intellectually weak
Only think they are writing
When in truth they are fighting
The world
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:18 pm
Quote:
I suggest we start a rap battles section, that would solve pretty much all of the problems.
That sounds like a good idea. Why doesn't someone talk to an administrator?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
Its been done, this is the disclaimer at the beginning of the Rap Battle thread.
Shine on. :wink:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit (Moderator): Our Terms of Service prohibit gratuitious insults, but we are willing to make an exception for this thread so long as it is within the rap form. Insults which are outside of the form will be removed.

Use only this thread for Rap Battles. All existing threads will be locked and any new ones will be pulled.

You may not post links to your site or use Able2Know for promotional purposes.

0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:14 pm
DJ_Battlefield wrote:
...if we wernt in there having rap battles, you old biddys wouldnt be in here talking bout it, face it, if we wernt battling, this topic wouldnt exsist and able2know web site would be just another boring web site. We battle and talk, you talk about our battling.

Well, it seems most people have been very nice and ignored how insulting this little peice of work is, but I think I'll just clear a few thinks up for you.

1. 'old biddy'

?!? I have no clue what a biddy is, but as for being old, I'm only 16, so...

2. '...face it, if we wernt battling, this topic wouldnt exsist and able2know web site would be just another boring web site. We battle and talk, you talk about our battling.'

I'll just have to tell you how false this statement is. There are hundreds of threads on A2K at this moment (not to mention the hundreds of thousands in the archives), the entirity of A2K rapping goes on in one, single thread. Let that sink in...

In fact, even though rapping has only one thread, there are almost as many posts in the 'perpetual limerick' thread. Laughing

Now, the whole rap-battling 'issue' only has two threads, because the 'old biddys' need to talk about what to do with you guys, or because they apparently need to vent on how annoying you are to them.

You act as if everyone is making a big deal of this and no one is. Hardly anyone is even concerned enough to start a thread over it.

3. 'if we wernt battling, this topic wouldnt exsist and able2know web site would be just another boring web site.'

A2K would certainly not be a boring website without rap battles, it would continue on, business as usual. Minus one small controversy/annoyance.

Thanks for listening. Very Happy I'm not trying to offend anyone who does rap battles and if that's what you like, go for it. I am fine with rap and all that. I'm simply responding to a post that was, in my view, offensive to the majority of the A2K population. Thank you.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:32 pm
sublime1 wrote:
Its been done, this is the disclaimer at the beginning of the Rap Battle thread.
Shine on.

Oh...I thought he was talking about making a whole new forum section. Which I think would be a very good idea.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:10 am
How odd that AngeliqueEast isn't in here throwing blood and decrying everyone that is against rap battling as a nazi, and pointing out how if they don't like it they can move to another forum blah blah.

Battle rap is just one of those things that if you don't care for it, you just have to ignore it. Like modern art or hairless cats.

It's as viable as any other form of music.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
Questioner wrote:

Of course.

But, why is it that no rock or country or pop or any other musical genres but rap come to the original writing forum to post their new songs? It's an interesting thing really. It must have something to do with the way you write it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:34 am
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Questioner wrote:

Of course.

But, why is it that no rock or country or pop or any other musical genres but rap come to the original writing forum to post their new songs? It's an interesting thing really. It must have something to do with the way you write it.

From my understanding, it's one of the few genres of music out there that retains some semblance of rhythm to it in written form. The word construction can be loosely considered poetry in some rap.
0 Replies

tcb

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:55 pm
As I mentioned via my verse posted on this thread last night, Rap, while a new art form at its inception, has gone the way of graffiti, which is now recognized as vandalism masquerading as art.
The fact that "Battle" (as in Rap Battle) has even the slightest scintilla of associated relevance to the genre just about says it all.
Conventional poetry may be boring to some, but I doubt very much if anyone finds it offensive
0 Replies

DJBattlefield

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 02:59 pm
see, ive just given you's something to talk about and no ones commented on the hoe down !!! come on people!!
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:48 pm
tcb wrote:
As I mentioned via my verse posted on this thread last night, Rap, while a new art form at its inception, has gone the way of graffiti, which is now recognized as vandalism masquerading as art.
The fact that "Battle" (as in Rap Battle) has even the slightest scintilla of associated relevance to the genre just about says it all.
Conventional poetry may be boring to some, but I doubt very much if anyone finds it offensive

Well said. Cool
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:07 am
tcb wrote:
What happened to the poem?
Those 14 line sonnets
With couplets well honed
Were they erased by the ages
Relegated to pages unknown
Thrown in a heap by the side of the road
Are there only rhymes these days
Seemingly thrown and sown with
Haphazard pride
Vulgar to their core
Besmirching creative purity
As if the F Word could cure illiteracy
Purporting that bullying and badgering
Is a from of artistry
The meek, the intellectually weak
Only think they are writing
When in truth they are fighting
The world

How incredibly pompous and short-sighted!

Reading, writing sonnets doesn't make you intellectual. Participating in rap battles doesn't make you "intellectually weak."

Vulgar? Ahem, many "distinguished" poets were far more candid than the folks involved in the battle thread. Walt Whitman and Allen Ginsberg regarded candor as an essential rule of poetry.

Pick up any contemporary poetry magazine today. You will find that scary, scary word, the "F" word, somehwere.

And no, the sonnet is not at all an endangered form. As tempting as it might be to use your knowldege of it as a way to thumb your nose at anyone who hasn't taken an Intro to Poetry course at any university or community college, the sonnet is still alive and published widely--see American Poetry Review, Fence, etc.
0 Replies