What's wrong with finding comfort in religion?

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:39 am
..then again, YOU seem to be the one who's "flaming" Eryemil
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:42 am
Eryemil wrote:
Yet it goes so well with the gay stereotype, doesn't it?

My complete lack of style, grace, sophistication, fashion-sense and class however defies that one.
0 Replies

Codgo

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:07 pm
Do people have an intrinsic sense of right and wrong?

Righty. This is a general view i want to express after crusing these boards for a good hour or so.

I think that all the debates to do with these issues of spirirtuality come down to 1 key issue:

If, individually, we believe that we are responsible for our own actions. I.e if we choose to believe that people have a fundamental sense of right and wrong.

This blurs a little bit as all views do, in that my personal view is that while people do have the potential to understand what is right and wrong, clearly it is not given, as any child will show you if you watch it under its own behaviour. Right and wrong is something that can be learned, and so it is down entirely to your upbringing. Thus those who do 'wrong' can be forgiven, for they have not been educated on wrongs and rights. This brings me to one major flaw in christian faith:

The idea of hell..

If, for example, a woman living in a rainforest lives a full life, and has sex before marriage, believes none in god, nor jesus, commits adultery (and feels bad), and then dies leaving a few nice children, is she condemened to hell? She has commited so many sins and not once achknowledged the existence of your god, nor needed to. I am curious... can someone fill me in?

Thanks...

Adam, England
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:16 pm
I'm not one to argue with you on this Codgo, I'm more likely to give you a list of all the other major flaws in christianity ! Oh, and welcome !
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:28 am
Re: Do people have an intrinsic sense of right and wrong?
Codgo wrote:
Righty. This is a general view i want to express after crusing these boards for a good hour or so. I think that all the debates to do with these issues of spirirtuality come down to 1 key issue

Yes, in one hour you've determined the one truth behind the thousands of debates that have occured over the course of A2K's spirituality forum. Lead and inform us oh wise and beneficient Codgo.

If, individually, we believe that we are responsible for our own actions. I.e if we choose to believe that people have a fundamental sense of right and wrong.

Yes. This is precisely the issue behind.

Debating whether God is male or female.
Debating the means of creation.
Debating whether omniscience and omnipotence are mutually contradictory.
Debating the nature of trinity.
Discussing whether the laws of the old testament are superceded by new.
Questioning whether the bible is literally inerrant, merely inspired or just a book.

Very Happy
0 Replies