What's wrong with finding comfort in religion?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 01:47 pm
Quote:
If I were to show up on your doorstep completely naked, would you have a problem with that? What if I was a public school teacher, and I taught your kids in school that way? It's my choice, right? And if you say it affects you (or your children, in that situation), how so?

Rex- If you ran around naked in your house, or in a nudist camp, where nudity is the cultural norm, there is no problem. If you came to my house naked, you WOULD be infringing on my rights. If you taught my children naked, and I did not approve of that, you would also be trampling on my rights.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 03:48 pm
Re: What's wrong with finding comfort in religion?
almach1 wrote:

For those of you who are athiests: what drives you do do great things in life. Why do you strive to be a model citizen?

Why can those of faith not imagine life without it?

Why do we not kill people, even though we don't follow a God?

Because we still live. There are still emotions, still pain, still guilt, still love, still happiness, at this very moment. Just because someone is without a God, doesn't mean they are numb. We feel everything you do. What drives you to do great things? Chances are it's the same reason we do. To feel good, to achieve something.

To live your entire life based on what will happen to you after you die is foolishness...the point is that you can feel NOW, and you have cause-and-effect NOW. That is why.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:05 pm
Quote:
Well, very cute, but this is some of the bad logic I was referring to. I agree that there is no sound argument leading to the belief that a God doesn't exist. However, the fact that you cannot disprove something is not sufficient reasonable basis to believe that it's true (or false, of course).

Ah, but you're making the assumption that the basis for my belief (or any religious person's belief for that matter) is the fact that you cannot disprove. Assumption is bad logic.

Indeed, it would be pretty foolish to base one's entire belief system just on the fact that it cannot actually disproved-- but that's not the basis for, I'm gonna say about 99.9% of religious people. I only mentioned the fact that it cannot be disproved in addition to your statement that it cannot be proved-- indeed, these two facts together make the issue rather void.

Quote:
I can't prove that there isn't an alien spacecraft with 14 little purple men orbiting the solar system at a distance of 13.4 astronomical units from the sun and observing us, but that is hardly sufficient logical justification to believe that there is.

But what if I truly believed that there was an alien spacecraft with 14 little purple men orbiting the solar system at a distance of 13.4 astronomical units from the sun and observing us, for my own reasons?

And say someone comes up to me and says "You can't prove there is an alien spacecraft up there like you believe"...would it not be logical for me to respond by saying "And you can't prove there isn't, which is why I have faith"?

Quote:
If you came to my house naked, you WOULD be infringing on my rights.

Okay, maybe you didn't understand my question. I was already assuming that you would think that was infringing upon your rights, but I was clearly asking how so?[/u]

How so? How does that infringe upon your rights? I sincerely hope by "rights" you are not referring to those within the Constitution, because we're talking about morality here, not law.

And before you actually answer that question (which I hope you will this time, instead of dodging it again), think of how that instance of infringing on your rights differs from attempting to kill you, and from parading around your neighborhood with my homosexual lover.

All instances affect you in some way, yes? Well then, without a strict moral code to go by, where do we draw the line of what is allowed to affect you and what isn't? Where do we draw the line of where one can presumably "go too far"?

And, perhaps more importantly, who is the "we" that draws the line, if we are all individuals with our own views of morality? Who's to say which view is "right"?

Quote:
To live your entire life based on what will happen to you after you die is foolishness...the point is that you can feel NOW, and you have cause-and-effect NOW. That is why.

I respect your opinion that "living life based on what will happen to you after you die is foolishness", but I don't believe in that for one second. And here's a quick rundown why:

I don't live my life just because of what will happen to me after I die. I also live in the Present, or, as you put it, the "NOW".

Indeed, humans live in time but God destines them for eternity. He therefore, I believe, wants us to attend chiefly to two things-- eternity itself, and that point in time known as the Present. For the Present is the point at which time touches eternity. Of the present moment, of it only, can we have an experience analogous to the experience in which God has of reality as a whole; in it alone freedom and actuality are offered us. He would therefore have us continually concerned with either eternity (which means being concerned with Him) or with the Present-- like obeying the present voice of conscience, bearing the present cross, receiving the present grace, giving thanks for the present pleasure.

I also don't live my life based on what will happen to me after I die because that is not what I believe God wants us to do. He does not want men to give the Future their hearts, to place their treasure in it. Instead, His ideal is a man who, having worked all day for the good of posterity (if that is his vocation), washes his mind of the whole subject, commits the issue to Heaven, and returns at once to the patience or gratitude demanded by the moment that is passing over him. He does not want a man hag-ridden by the Future-- haunted by visions of an imminent heaven or hell-- for a number of reasons (of which I could elaborate on if you'd like).

Quote:
Because we still live. There are still emotions, still pain, still guilt, still love, still happiness, at this very moment. Just because someone is without a God, doesn't mean they are numb. We feel everything you do. What drives you to do great things? Chances are it's the same reason we do. To feel good, to achieve something.

Hmm, you say that you focus on the Present (or the "Now"), which may be noble, but I ask you...do you really?

Biological passions point to the direction of the Future, so that thought about the Future inflames hope and fear. In a word, the Future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most completely temporal time-- for the Past is frozen and no longer flows, and the Present is all lit up with eternal rays. Hence the fact that schemes of thought such as Evolution, Scientific Humanism, and Communism, which fix men's affections on the Future, are on the very core of temporality.

Hence nearly all vices are rooted in the Future. Gratitude looks to the past and love to the present; fear, avarice, lust, and ambition look ahead. You have already noted that you feel all these emotions that "we" do, so obviously you are also looking at the Future.

So, it is not wrong to look forward to the Future-- it's just that I'm a deep thinkier, and like looking a little farther than just when I die-- which seems to be what is to your particular liking.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:55 pm
Moral choices are available to everyone--atheist, theist, and agnostic.

Some Christians do "good" because they expect to receive a reward; a well-trained dog can exhibit an equivalent level of moral behavior--which is to say, behavior that is not based on a moral code, but something less.

Let's assume that you, as a Christian, have concluded, based on your study of the Bible and own convictions, that murder is wrong. Then God -at least you believe it is Him- appears before you and instucts you to kill an evil person, as He has done in the Old Testament on many occasions, and, if the testimony of some people in the present day is to be believed, still does today.

What is your response? Is it right because God says so, or does right stay the same regardless of what God says?
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 09:29 pm
Quote:
So does the image of a homosexual couple walking down the street...where's the difference?

See, it gets real sticky.

Please Rex, I would rather you didn't give the 'Homosexuals are Monsters and going to Hell Speech'. It's quite aggravating.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:02 pm
Quote:
Moral choices are available to everyone--atheist, theist, and agnostic.

No one is denying that. The only problem with that is everyone has their own moral views, which (like I believe I've already proven), gets quite sticky, because of the fallacies in transcendance and moral relativism. For example, one person thinks murder is okay, another doesn't. Who's right? Who's to decide who's right? And if that person's reasoning for murder to be wrong, why is that?

Because it affects someone else? So does a billboard with a scantily-clad woman on it...where's the difference? And who draws that line? And who's to decide who draws that line?

Maybe murder is wrong because it involves taking an innocent life, and hurts the friends and family of the victim. Do these answers show that murder is wrong? Only if we can show independently that it is wrong to take an innocent life and hurt the friends and family of the victim. However, in order to show this we will have to appeal to further principles, such as that it is wrong to hurt people; these principles will themselves have to be proven using other principles, and so on ad infinitum
Quote:
Some Christians do "good" because they expect to receive a reward

And some Christians used to plunder and raid villages and slaughter people during the Crusades. That doesn't mean it's what God wants to see. God wants his people to do good because they love Him, not because they expect something in return-- that's not the nature of true love.

Quote:
Let's assume that you, as a Christian, have concluded, based on your study of the Bible and own convictions, that murder is wrong. Then God -at least you believe it is Him- appears before you and instucts you to kill an evil person, as He has done in the Old Testament on many occasions, and, if the testimony of some people in the present day is to be believed, still does today.

What is your response? Is it right because God says so, or does right stay the same regardless of what God says?

Without going into my own analysis, and run the risk of having my comments taken out of context (*cough* Eryemil *cough*), I refer you to this article by John Adams-- http://www.themasterspen.com/archives/000350.html

Quote:
Please Rex, I would rather you didn't give the 'Homosexuals are Monsters and going to Hell Speech'. It's quite aggravating.

Please Eryemil, I would rather you didn't scold me for something I didn't do, or imply I that I have biases that I don't have. You obviously took my sentence about "a homosexual couple" out of context, because in the context of the paragraph it was in it did not in any way convey that homosexuality is wrong or right. That quote of mine was part of an objective paragraph in an objective discussion about morality, with no references to the righteousness or unrighteousness of homosexuality. If you don't understand what "objective" means, I would recommend looking it up in a dictionary.

So, again, I would ask you to please not scold me for something I didn't do, or imply I that I have biases that I don't have, or take my own objective quotes out of context and twist them to have some other meaning. It's quite aggravating.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 05:30 pm
Quote:
Without going into my own analysis, and run the risk of having my comments taken out of context (*cough* Eryemil *cough*), I refer you to this article by John Adams-- http://www.themasterspen.com/archives/000350.html

The catch is that the voice of God instructing you to murder someone does not contradict His Word.

One example (from Samuel):

15:18 And the LORD sent thee on a journey, and said, Go and utterly destroy the sinners the Amalekites, and fight against them until they be consumed.

15:19 Wherefore then didst thou not obey the voice of the LORD, but didst fly upon the spoil, and didst evil in the sight of the LORD?
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
I'm sorry, but holding a grudge against people because of what their religion has done in the past is stupid. Why fight hate with hate. Religion can be twisted and interpreted to do very terrible things, but it can also be twisted and interpreted to do good things. How do you explain Christian gay churches. To me even though i am catholic, I interpret religion to a personal level.

This is going to sound a little bad, but people kind of pick wich commandments and wich morals to follow and ignore. This in a way makes the catholic religion different to every person.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:46 pm
Quote:
Maybe I believe it's OK to murder...why does the "standard" in society not include my beliefs? Because it affects other people? So does the image of a homosexual couple walking down the street...where's the difference?

First of all, I admit I worded my retort the wrong way. But I believe what I said was indeed based on a fluke in your argument.

The difference Rex, is that in the case of a murder, the victim has no choice but to be affected. A victim of murder can't just ignore their aggressor.
People are offended by homosexuality because they choose to. If you compare them in the same context, you can't really call a person who sees two men kissing a victim, can you?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:54 pm
Rex the Wonder Squirrel wrote:
Quote:
I can't prove that there isn't an alien spacecraft with 14 little purple men orbiting the solar system at a distance of 13.4 astronomical units from the sun and observing us, but that is hardly sufficient logical justification to believe that there is.

But what if I truly believed that there was an alien spacecraft with 14 little purple men orbiting the solar system at a distance of 13.4 astronomical units from the sun and observing us, for my own reasons?

And say someone comes up to me and says "You can't prove there is an alien spacecraft up there like you believe"...would it not be logical for me to respond by saying "And you can't prove there isn't, which is why I have faith"?

No, it would frankly be rather unintelligent and highly illogical to defend a belief in something extremely specific like that based only on the fact that it couldn't be disproven. To be logically justified in believing that there is an alien spacecraft......units from the sun and observing us, you would have to have some kind of evidence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:57 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My view on this would be, that if you don't think that contraception is moral, it is your right not to use it. If you don't think that abortion is moral, don't have one. But don't attempt to foist your religious belief on someone who does not believe as you do.

You still have failed to explain why it's okay for you to foist laws on society based on your concepts of right and wrong that may not be shared, but not okay to do so based on religion, assuming that the laws do not establish or promote religion.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:29 am
Hi guys, I'm not really joining the discussion but rather responding to the original question, not on behalf of all atheists but rather to help enlighten those who understandably misunderstand us.

almach1 wrote:
I'll agree that reason and religion really don't go together, especially when you begin to try to explain it's roots and creators. But I find my self feel extremely alone and sad when I think that I will cease to exist when I die. It's sad to think that if an asteroid takes out the earth and every human with it, nobody will care. It will just be quiet and full of nothing just as it was before we existed.
I know that this may be a fact, but what's wrong with believing that maybe there is an afterlife. What's wrong with believing that maybe I have to be a good person to get there.

What's wrong with believing there is an afterlife (if there is not): You will make decisions based on a wrong assumption. Some people devote their entire lives to serving a deity, forgoing many of lifes pleasures (such as marriage or sex) and sometimes wasting the great contributions they could have made to humantiy as a whole. You could also hurt other people (eg someone who loves you but must give you up because you have given your life to a deity), or at a more extreme level killing those of an opposing faith.

Quote:
What's wrong with believing you have to be a good person to get there?

Several things, first you are denying yourself the pleasure of being a good person without the promise of a huge reward. Secondly, you are dismissing the good thing another person did for you as an ultimately selfish action on thier part. Next, you are deciding how to be a good person based on an external authority, instead of being able to decide such things for yourself, and the rules vary dramatically depending on the religious authority you choose to follow. I'm sure there are more reasons but moving on...

Quote:
If we are really just energy, atoms and our feelings really are just chemical reactions in our brains then what's the point. Do athiests believe in LOVE? I think love is no more provable than religion. I know it might be just chemicals in my brain, but I find beauty in believing it's something greater.

I totally believe in love, Moulin Rouge is one of my favourite films Smile But saying "just chemical reactions in the brain" is to belittle both chemical reactions and the brain. The first covers everything from mustard gas to the colours of Jupiter, the second is the most complex thing in the known universe. I also think that athiests have a greater appreciation of beauty generally than theists, for the theists may say, wow God did that because he can do anything, whereas the atheist says WOW the whole history of the universe has led to this thing in this moment and to me witnessing this awe-inspiring beauty.

Quote:
For those of you who are athiests: what drives you do do great things in life. Why do you strive to be a model citizen?

Again I think atheists can be thought of as more "moral" than theists because they act for the good of a) themselves and b) others without the promise of a huge reward (everlasting life and happiness) Also I think in some ways atheists are more concious of the limited time they have available to make a difference. Also I think in some ways they feel more responsible for what kind of world they leave behind. Also when we see a child starve to death we cannot take comfort in the thought that they are now safe in Gods loving arms, we just see an aweful tragedy that we could have helped to avoid. Theists are able to lay they blame on a)an evil entity pushing the world to evil and b)God for having made all humans flawed. Also theists can be less concerned generally with the future since they sometimes believe that everything that happens was designed or meant to happen and that the future is already decided. Why bother trying to change it?

Quote:
Why do you strive to be a model citizen?

Speaking for myself, I have a number of fundamental drives...one (by way of example) is to create beauty (in the form of music) to add to the beauty of the world and to move people to tears of joy. I want the whole world to thank me for the music I write. It is a purely selfish motivation but the outcome ultimately benefits society as a whole. I think theists sometimes trick themselves into believing that their drives are external to themselves and can therefore not be held responsible for them.

I strive to be a model citizen because I like to be liked, because I want people to listen to me and respect my opinions, because I have a family and freinds who expect me to act in a way they approve of, because my parents taught me to behave in these ways, and more recently because I am a parent and I wish to lead by example. (I also like to lead by example in the world at large).

I guess my main points are that theists do not "own" morality, aguably thier morality is compromised by propaganda and that believing in something that may not be true can cause great harm to oneself and to others.

So there you have it, one atheists long-ish answers to the questions we so often hear!

Counter-attacks welcome! Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:20 am
almach1 wrote:

I feel that every person owes it to every other person to be as good a person as he can be. Otherwise it just won't work, living together on this earth. I myself in any case feel that I should try to be a good person, to be kind. I guess its the way I was raised (my parents were idealist socialists). Its not for a reward, though there is the "do unto others as you would wish them to do unto you" thing, which makes sense with or without religion; it's because - well, I feel I ought to. Question of internalising values, I suppose. We cant live like we're alone on the world. We gotta share. Our space, our patience, and even our earning power - in that the taxes we pay allow for us communally to also take care of those among us who have less capability. We're a community: our town is, our country, the world. If you want to share in that community and reap the benefits of being part of it, you've also got to accept the responsibility of a citizen of it. Each will interpret how he can best do that differently, but thats the basis.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:03 am
almach1 wrote:

Quote:
Religion can be twisted and interpreted to do very terrible things, but it can also be twisted and interpreted to do good things.

Well put. The key, as in most things, is in the interpretation. Religion is not inherently evil; neither is its absence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:18 am
Greyfan wrote:
Well put. The key, as in most things, is in the interpretation. Religion is not inherently evil; neither is its absence.

But the belief that a God exists is either true or false, once one defines "God." For myself, I don't believe it is possible to construct a logically sound argument that one probably exists.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:39 am
Can't disagee, Brandon; but I have found the worth of people to be quite independent of their religious beliefs, and their religious beliefs, or lack thereof, seldom based on logic. I am an atheist myself, and find most faith-based philosophies on an institutional level repugnant, and yet have found decent, thoughtful people in both camps, and even some in the middle.

The key for me is whether someone's beliefs are employed primarily as the guiding philosophy of their own life, or as a cudgel against those who do not share their views.

If a person is thoughtful, humble, and tolerant of other points of view, regardless of what he believes personally, I feel more common ground then if he has merely arrived at the same conclusion. The spirit in which the journey is undertaken matters more than the destination.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:47 am
A beautiful and moving post Eorl. Welcome to A2K
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:47 pm
Quote:
I'm sorry, but holding a grudge against people because of what their religion has done in the past is stupid. Why fight hate with hate. Religion can be twisted and interpreted to do very terrible things, but it can also be twisted and interpreted to do good things.

Very well put. Smile

Quote:
First of all, I admit I worded my retort the wrong way. But I believe what I said was indeed based on a fluke in your argument.

Okay, then say it was a fluke in my argument. Don't try to imply that I'm being biased when I'm being objective.

Quote:
The difference Rex, is that in the case of a murder, the victim has no choice but to be affected. A victim of murder can't just ignore their aggressor. People are offended by homosexuality because they choose to. If you compare them in the same context, you can't really call a person who sees two men kissing a victim, can you?

Ah, again, you didn't understand what I was saying in my post. Here are my exact words:

"Maybe I believe it's OK to murder...why does the "standard" in society not include my beliefs? Because it affects other people? So does the image of a homosexual couple walking down the street...where's the difference?"

Please, Eryemil, could you point out where any form of the verb "to offend" is used in that quote?

I believe the fluke is yours, sir. You assumed by "affecting other people" I meant people would be offended by homosexuality. But, let me reiterate-- this is an objective argument.

The image of a homosexual couple walking down the street affects everyone that sees it-- yes, it may offend some, but others may take pleasure in the sight. The issue isn't whether it's wrong or right-- the issue is whether it affects people. Just like murder...it affects people, whether you think it's wrong or right.

Either way you put it, it affects people-- and the person seeing the image, as you put it, "has no choice but to be affected". When you see something, it affects you. Even if you choose to ignore it...it was that image that affected you to do so.

So, since they both affect people (some in a positive sense, some in a negative sense), what is the difference between murder and the image of a homosexual couple walking down the street? I'll tell you-- it's all perception.

And that is where things get sticky. Everyone has their own perception of right and wrong, so who's right? Again, what if I think murder can be justified, and shouldn't be wrong? Who's to say that I'm wrong in my opinon? You? If not you, than who? And why would it be wrong? Because you or someone else thinks it's wrong? Why are you allowed to decide what's right and wrong for me?

Quote:
No, it would frankly be rather unintelligent and highly illogical to defend a belief in something extremely specific like that based only on the fact that it couldn't be disproven.

And it would be equally unintelligent and highly illogical to attack a belief in something extremely specific like that based only on the fact that it couldn't be proven.

Quote:
To be logically justified in believing that there is an alien spacecraft......units from the sun and observing us, you would have to have some kind of evidence.

And to be logically justified in not believing that there is an alien spacecraft...units from the sun and observing us, you would have to have some kind of evidence.

Basically it comes down to faith-- faith in what is being debated over, faith in the truthfulness in any and all evidence used to justified said belief...faith. And faith has a pesky tendency to defy logic. So it's not bad logic at all-- it's faith. Smile
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:49 pm
Eorl,
Your response is great. What is funny is that, athiests in a way have their own personal religion. Religion is nothing but a bunch of beliefs and values.
Ok, personally I admit i might of been brainwashed a little by the catholic church, especially with the whole "do good or go to hell" thing. I'm only 24 and I think I have grown out of that kind of thinking. Jesus has kind of turned into my conscience. The whole WWJD? thing in way backfires because if he truly was a great prophet, he wouln't be endorsing some of the things the catholic church has done.

PS: did anybody se ER last night? Great example of how religion can be good and bad.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:52 pm
Quote:
PS: did anybody se ER last night? Great example of how religion can be good and bad.

No...what was it about?
0 Replies