What's wrong with finding comfort in religion?

almach1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:10 pm
Rex the Wonder Squirrel wrote:
Quote:
PS: did anybody se ER last night? Great example of how religion can be good and bad.

No...what was it about?
One of the female doctors finds her real mother after being adopted as a newborn. She had her when she was 15 and they are now meeting for the first time. So they are talking getting along great. The doctor totally understands why she was given up for adoption. The mother wanted a better life for her child.

The problem was that the mother had become a harcore bible thumping christian. The doctor is a lesbian and had a child with her partner. Her adopted parents died before she could tell them and her partner died also. Her real mother is now her only family left(besides her child). The mother said she would always love her but wouln't accept the fact that she is gay. The doctor said she doesn't need love without acceptance.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:12 pm
Quote:
No, it would frankly be rather unintelligent and highly illogical to defend a belief in something extremely specific like that based only on the fact that it couldn't be disproven.

And it would be equally unintelligent and highly illogical to attack a belief in something extremely specific like that based only on the fact that it couldn't be proven.

No. I am not attacking the belief based on the fact that it can't be proven. Not at all. I am attacking the idea that the fact that something can't be disproven is sufficient reason to believe it is true.

Quote:
To be logically justified in believing that there is an alien spacecraft......units from the sun and observing us, you would have to have some kind of evidence.

And to be logically justified in not believing that there is an alien spacecraft...units from the sun and observing us, you would have to have some kind of evidence.

No, you are wrong. To be logically justified in believe that something is not true, I would need evidence. I do not need evidence to merely not believe that it is true. I do not need evidence to believe that there is insufficient evidence that something is true to justify a reasonable belief in it.

This is a perfect example of the bad logic that I alluded to earlier. You are just playing word games with me, quickly scanning my posts and turning the words around without actually thinking about what you are saying.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 02:38 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Greyfan wrote:
Well put. The key, as in most things, is in the interpretation. Religion is not inherently evil; neither is its absence.

But the belief that a God exists is either true or false, once one defines "God." For myself, I don't believe it is possible to construct a logically sound argument that one probably exists.

Brandon, we don't agree on much, but I agree with you here.
A good read, and a fantastic attempt at logically ascertaiting that God in fact exists, is St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica,
Not a light weekend volumed set to hunker down to in a rainstorm, but, nevertheless, an interesting read.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 03:08 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Greyfan wrote:
Well put. The key, as in most things, is in the interpretation. Religion is not inherently evil; neither is its absence.

But the belief that a God exists is either true or false, once one defines "God." For myself, I don't believe it is possible to construct a logically sound argument that one probably exists.

Brandon, we don't agree on much, but I agree with you here.
A good read, and a fantastic attempt at logically ascertaiting that God in fact exists, is St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica,
Not a light weekend volumed set to hunker down to in a rainstorm, but, nevertheless, an interesting read.

I remember being taugh St. Thomas Aquinas's proof of the existence of God in school. The teacher discussed the flaw in the logic and said, "...and if you don't believe that, you'd better make your peace with the Lord." Thanks for the reference
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 03:36 pm
Yeah, I spent a summer wading through it...and wrote a paper on it in University.
Dude had lots of time to piece that together...much respect for such a large work.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 03:47 pm
Quote:
No. I am not attacking the belief based on the fact that it can't be proven. Not at all. I am attacking the idea that the fact that something can't be disproven is sufficient reason to believe it is true.

That's nice-- except that my entire point was that belief in Christianity is not based entirely on the fact that "it can't be disproven". Same with the whole alien thing-- my basis for my belief wasn't that it couldn't be disproven, but that it's my logical retort against claims that "it can't be proven". See?

Quote:
No, you are wrong. To be logically justified in believe that something is not true, I would need evidence.

That's what I just said! To be logically justified in not believing something (in this case it was your alien example), you would, and I quote myself, "have to have some kind of evidence."

You just said I was wrong, then repeated what I said. So who's just scanning who's posts without thinking about what they're saying? Wink

Quote:
This is a perfect example of the bad logic that I alluded to earlier.

Except that I'm not using bad logic.

Quote:
You are just playing word games with me, quickly scanning my posts and turning the words around without actually thinking about what you are saying.

Okay, now that's bad logic. What is your basis for that assumption? I'm not "quickly scanning your posts" at all-- in fact, I've been careful to keep all of your quotes in context and with their original meaning intact to avoid the situation I had with Eryemil earlier. If you feel I've "turned your words around" in any way, please feel free to point out the instances in a post.

And indeed I am "thinking about what I am saying", considering I continue to hold this discussion with you, despite the fact that you're making assumptions about me and contradicting yourself.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:03 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
No, you are wrong. To be logically justified in believe that something is not true, I would need evidence.

That's what I just said! To be logically justified in not believing something (in this case it was your alien example), you would, and I quote myself, "have to have some kind of evidence."

You just said I was wrong, then repeated what I said. So who's just scanning who's posts without thinking about what they're saying? Wink

What I said is not at all what you said. You are a very annoying person. This is what you said:

And to be logically justified in not believing that there is an alien spacecraft...units from the sun and observing us, you would have to have some kind of evidence.

This is what I said:

Brandon9000 wrote:
To be logically justified in believe that something is not true...

There is a difference between:

believing that something is not true

and:

not believing that something is true.

The former requires evidence, the latter does not. You are reading my posts very carelessly.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:16 pm
Quote:
You are a very annoying person.

As are you. I suppose that means it's a draw.

Quote:
The former requires evidence, the latter does not. You are reading my posts very carelessly.

Both require evidence, whether it be physical evidence or not. To not believe something is true means that you do not believe in the justification used to prove that something. And for it to be logical, you must have some reason for not believing in that justification-- thus, you need evidence that that justification is not true. Otherwise, your own reasoning is illogical.

Which is exactly what I said. And exactly what you've been denying. Quite carelessly, at that.

And please, don't try to dodge the other subject-- in your next response, I would ask you again to point out the instances in which I've, as you put it, "turned your words around". Again, I've been careful to keep all of your quotes in context and with their original meaning intact to avoid the situation I had with Eryemil earlier.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:27 pm
Oh, my. How much clearer can I make this?

To believe affirmatively that there is definitely no God requires evidence.

To merely not believe that there is a God does not necessarily require evidence. The person may simply feel that he has insufficient evidence to have an opinion. Someone does not require evidence to support the lack of a belief. I do not need to show evidence to back up my lack of conviction that there are little aliens orbiting the Earth etc. I would need to show evidence to back up an assertion that they are definitely not there.

I am distinguishing between believing that something is false and simply having no belief that it is true. The former requires evidence; the latter does not.

If you don't get it this time, I don't think we have much to discuss.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 03:18 am
I agree with Brandon. His argument is sound.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:58 pm
almach1 wrote:
Eorl,
Your response is great. What is funny is that, athiests in a way have their own personal religion. Religion is nothing but a bunch of beliefs and values.

Thankyou almach1. However I disagree with your assertion that atheists have their own personal religion. I propose that what is happening here is that people who are accustomed to thinking along religious lines tend to see atheism (and science) in a similar way to religion. Atheism is not a bunch of beliefs and values, it is merely the lack of a belief in gods. A scientific view on life (such as I hold) has no room at all for faith, every aspect of scientific knowledge is open to criticism and attack, every effort is made to DISPROVE every assertion a scientist makes. The result, for the most part is a collection of facts that cannot or have not yet been proven false.

Religion on the other hand, demands that I accept many things without proof and without question. Thus we have two distinct kinds of reasoning..."faith" based reasoning and "fact" based reasoning. The two are not alike...not at all.

Oh and Brandon is correct, his reasoning is sound Smile
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:30 am
Re: What's wrong with finding comfort in religion?
almach1 wrote:
"What's wrong with finding comfort in religion?"

Firstly if your only reason for following a religion is because it makes you feel good and alleviates your fears, you have to ask yourself whether the truth is more important than happiness. If you're happy lying to yourself then that's up to you. (Note: This does not apply if you genuinely believe the religion is factual).

Secondly if you find comfort in a religion that tells you to kill other people for violating some of your religious tenants than the moral problems there become quite obvious. Likewise if the religion causes you to do other things that harm or annoy other people.

Thirdly, a drug habbit can cause pleasure at first that gradually fades and results in more and more extreme dosages which leads to financial and health ruin. Likewise you must be careful that accepting a religion may give you an initial surge of comfort now but in the long run make you less happy than you were to begin with.

Those are the three main problems with embracing a religion for the purpose of comfort.

Quote:
It will just be quiet and full of nothing just as it was before we existed.

Mmmm, peace and quiet. Am I the only person who appreciates a final ending where things just stop?

Quote:
Do athiests believe in LOVE? I think love is no more provable than religion. I know it might be just chemicals in my brain, but I find beauty in believing it's something greater.

It's amusing that love is always the example. Just once I'd love to hear someone say "Do atheists believe in an itchy arse? it's a brain process no more provable than religion!"

Quote:
For those of you who are athiests: what drives you do do great things in life. Why do you strive to be a model citizen?

<Shudder>. "Model citizen". If the loftiest example of morality you can contemplate is conforming to the standards of your civilization then that's fine but rest assured that I want no part of it.

There's a simple beauty in doing something, not for reward, not because you were told to, not even because it will make a difference but because you believe that it's right. To me such an act is infinitely more noble than doing something to make the grade to receive heavenly rewards.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:20 am
I used to be almach1 but i changd my name. I thought this thread was dead? OK. I still don't see how finding comfort is bad. Some people find it with exercisze, meditation, yoga, painting, all kinds of stuff. Religion gives you the impression that somebody cares about you when you think nobody does.

Honestly do you ever think you will find the ultimate truth about anything. People throughout history have benn looking for the truth, but they really have never found it. Future science and theorys always prove that they didn't know everything or were just flat out wrong. We only have a limited time to live. I could spend my time wondering about my origins, wondering about our evolution and when an asteroid or sun explosion might blow us up. But I know enough about science to konw that we really can't do jack about that stuff.

I'm not saying that ignorance is bliss, i'm just saying that it's uplifting and invigorating beliving in something you can't prove. Remember when you were a child when your imagination was real. When life was a dream. when you believed in god, the easter bunny, santa claus, angles, the devil, monsters, and other mythical figures. These things brought us comfort in our youth. Why is it when we grow older believing is so wrong. We're not machines with pentium processors for brains. We have the ability to see beauty in many forms. One form is religion.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:39 am
From the first letter of Paul of Tarsus to the school at Corinth:
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11
Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
Chapter 14, verse 20

I think to deliberately deceive one's self is childish and irresponsible. Also you are blinding yourself to the beauty of the universe and the miracle of your place in it, by righting the whole process off as a whimsical act of some allpowerful deity. The true story of the earth, the sun, the stars is more beautiful to me than any story in the bible.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:46 am
Tenoch wrote:
I used to be almach1 but i changd my name. I thought this thread was dead?

I have a habbit of surfing the old threads for conversations that look interesting. Sorry.

Quote:
OK. I still don't see how finding comfort is bad.

I didn't say it was. I only said that I could see three potential problems with it. If none of the problems I mentioned exist in your particular case then IMO there is nothing wrong with finding comfort in religion.

Quote:
Some people find it with exercise, meditation, yoga, painting, all kinds of stuff.

Yep. Each of those has a few potential problems which you should acknowledge before doing it and weigh up against the benefits you may obtain. For example with exercise there's the risk of muscle strain, gym fees, etc. However if the increased physical fitness and/or enjoyment counterbalance the risks you have to take then go for it.

Quote:
Religion gives you the impression that somebody cares about you when you think nobody does.

<shrug> I care about me. That's always been enough.

Quote:
I'm not saying that ignorance is bliss, i'm just saying that it's uplifting and invigorating beliving in something you can't prove.

I wouldn't know. I don't seem to have the capacity.

Quote:
Remember when you were a child when your imagination was real. When life was a dream. when you believed in god, the easter bunny, santa claus, angles, the devil, monsters, and other mythical figures.

I had extremist atheist parents. I never believed in santa, god, the easter bunny, monsters, devils, angels or other figures of mythology. Probably due to their influence I never had imaginary friends or believed in things that weren't real. I occasionally wonder whether I was missing out on something.

Quote:
Why is it when we grow older believing is so wrong.

Societal expectations change with our age. One could equally ask why wetting the bed becomes wrong when we get older. I'm not suggesting that religion and bedwetting are on the same level, but you can see how expectations vary depending on our age and social group.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:55 am
I don't read the bible! My favorite classes in high school were science classes. I took honors chem, physics and studied it at the college level. I know all about that stuff. But how the planets formed, atoms split, and fire burns has nothing to do with how I treat my fellow man.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:09 am
Tenoch wrote:
I don't read the bible!

I do.

Quote:
My favorite classes in high school were science classes.

Hmmm, oddly enough mine were Drama, English, Art, French, History and Music... kinda goes against the atheist stereotype but, meh.

Quote:
I took honors chem, physics and studied it at the college level. I know all about that stuff. But how the planets formed, atoms split, and fire burns has nothing to do with how I treat my fellow man.

Agreed.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:14 am
Huh?

You don't have to believe in gods to be treat your fellow man well!

Actually I think I'm the nicest person I know Wink

(..Except when I re-read my previous post I think I'm actually terribly condescending if not just plain rude and I apologise for that Tenoch.)
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:15 am
Quote:
Hmmm, oddly enough mine were Drama, English, Art, French, History and Music... kinda goes against the atheist stereotype but, meh.

Yet it goes so well with the gay stereotype, doesn't it? http://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/gifs_demonios.gif
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:21 am
...yeah, and what is that picture he's using...is it..it couldn't be a......??
0 Replies