About chinese food!

cjhsa

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:57 pm
All I know is that when we go out for Chinese food what's on our table looks nothing like what the Chinese people a table over are eating. They order off of a secret menu or something.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:59 pm
And from my experience at work (microwaves), real chinese chinese food must incorporate the most god awful fermented skank roadkill available. If it doesn't smell like absolute dead fish ****, it isn't authentic.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:11 pm
Ummm, love some of it, but my tastebuds are still limited on dishes. I usually stick to the kiddy buffet..and hit the things that I know what is.......

Dragon Rolls, Crab Ragoon, S&S Chicken......Fried Rice, Shrimp......pork eggrolls.

I have ventured off into other dishes that are unknown to me, I'm still new to Chinese Food.....but its usually a bite or two and I'm done...till I find one that I like.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
And from my experience at work (microwaves), real chinese chinese food must incorporate the most god awful fermented skank roadkill available. If it doesn't smell like absolute dead fish ****, it isn't authentic.

Laughing Laughing My daughter just asked me why I was laughing at the computer, too funny.

I too think there are special menus at some places.

I have a friend who moved here from Shanghai. We've discussed the differences between what we eat here and what he grew up with. He said that the ratio of meat or seafood to vegetables is inversed and many of the dishes we routinely order here are special occasion holiday dishes in China. He also said he'd never seen a fortune cookie until he came to America
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:24 pm
My strategy for getting good Chinese food has worked well:
marry a Chinese woman who is an excellent cook.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:32 pm
At the Chinese Restuarant we visit often, I sometimes wonder what those little women are thinking when all of us folks are lined up at the buffets..lol
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:32 pm
You're a lucky man George.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:35 pm
Thanks, J_B. I think so, too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:36 pm
Does she put fish sauce on the rooster, George? Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:39 pm
She considers the rooster quite saucy enough.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:42 pm
that's VERY true about the smell. Try going to China or similar countries. It's the seafood.

When my relatives are around a lot of American food, they feel the same way. Many think spaghetti is vomit (sauce too sweet), so they rather just have plain noodles with a touch of cheese.

As far as Chinese people having a different dish ...not on the menu... often they'll just ask the waitress to bring them a dish of their pleasing and the chef knows exactly how/what to make (w/ the real hot spices! yum). I know that's what my mom and her friends do.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:53 pm
When we go to Chinese restaurants in Chinatown with my wife's family,
we get a menu that is written all in Chinese. There seems to be more on
it than on the menus given to the LoFan customers.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:55 pm
One thing irritating is that while chinese restaurants will indicate hot and spicy vs. mild, they don't differentiate between sweet and savory. I've wound up with multiple sweet things and no balance to the meal too many times.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:57 pm
I love Chinese food; I think I have tried everything on the menu at every Chinese restaurant I've been to.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:59 pm
NOTHING I hate more than cheap restaurants!!!!

When you say you want the hot version, they just throw in more peppers instead of doing it correctly. this making the entire dish taste terrible because the flavor is not hotter ...well it is, but not the sauce. All you taste is peppers. They should use a different sauce and not "just" add too many peppers.
0 Replies

hadaji

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:26 am
I 'm very gald to see that so many people are interested in chinese cuisine!! I just spent chinese new year holiday.It is just an opportunity to get weight,because chinese new year means food & drink. I hope you can come to China .it's a wonderful place.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 02:07 am
I love mutton soup, also love noodles.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:38 am
May I ask Just what part of China she comes from exactly, George?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:41 am
satt_fs wrote:
I love mutton soup, also love noodles.

I have got bored with that.
I have it almost every morning Sad Confused :wink:
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:07 am
^JB^ wrote:
May I ask Just what part of China she comes from exactly, George?

You may.
The Lovely Bride was born in the New Territories area of Hong Kong.
Her Dad came to the US and worked in Chinese restaurants to save up
enough to bring the rest of the family over. She came to the US at age
10. We met in Programmer Training class in what was then New England
Telephone.
0 Replies