Objections of Randian Objectivism

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 06:37 am
Ray- I was involved with Objectivism when Rand was collaborating with Nathaniel Branden, before the two of them parted ways. It was Branden who codified a lot of Rand's ideas, and presented them as a philosophy. A lot of the writing of the time, which was presented in "The Objectivist Newsletter" was authored by Branden. I had all of these writings, but got rid of them when I moved down south, which I really regret today.

Yes, you might call Rand, in some sense, a "looney". She had some wonderful ideas, but was caught up in her own grandiosity, which I think eventually, was her downfall. At the time of the split, which was quite dramatic, and handled totally inappropriately, I was one of those people who "sided" with Branden.

Nathaniel Branden moved to California, and became a licensed psychologist. I tend to think that it was HE who was the more level headed of the two.

I have not been that impressed with the people who are handling Rand's website. Branden really was the "wunderkind", who knew how to connect with people, and to express Rand's ideas in a less abrasive, more realistic manner.

You might want to "Google" Nathaniel Branden. You will find him far more reasonable in his manner, and the way that he presents the ideas, and the conclusions that he draws from those ideas, that originally emanated from Rand's work.

You might enjoy starting with this:

http://www.nathanielbranden.net/content/ayn.html

This is a particularly fascinating article:

http://www.nathanielbranden.net/ayn/ayn03.html
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:06 am
Thanks Phoenix, I'll take a look at it.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:45 am
Well, at least he uses the word self-interest rather than Rand's misconception of selfishness.

I still disagree however, and I think I'll leave it at that.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 06:13 pm
Libertarians are worse than most objectivists.
0 Replies