Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 11:49 am
@Olivier5,
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-and-death-penalty
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 12:49 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The person hasn’t been murdered by the state.

Your cavalier attitude toward human life is disturbing.

Would you rather be killed by the state, or imprisoned? It is either a quick, painless death... or a long painful slog.

There is something to be said for just getting it over with.

At this point I would rather have a quick execution than a 20 year prison sentence.
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 12:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I think I’ve heard her say before that she would rather have a quick poison than a slow one.

That might have been Edgar though and it was on a different subject.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 02:04 pm
@maporsche,
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jailed-innocent-record-number-people-exonerated-2015-n510196

Quote:
A record-breaking number of people were exonerated in 2015 — freed after serving time in American prisons for crimes they did not commit.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 06:35 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If you spend 15 years in prison... and then "oops". There isn't any turning back on that one either.

Unless the state pays you a lot of money in compensation, tax free.

Although I admit that a lot of states don't do nearly as much of that as they should.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 08:27 pm
@oralloy,
How much money would it take to get you to volunteer to spend 15 years in prison.

There is no amount of money that would make that worth my while.
oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 08:51 pm
@maxdancona,
I've actually heard of a reality TV show where people spend 60 days in jail (without the guards or real inmates knowing that the participants are anything other than another inmate). Not some little rural county jail either, but a big overcrowded jail in a large city.

Anyway, not paying enough to do it voluntarily doesn't change the fact that it is possible to pay people enough to live on and rebuild their lives.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:31 pm
@maxdancona,
I grant your wish.

Just don’t impose it on other people.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 01:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

How much money would it take to get you to volunteer to spend 15 years in prison.

There is no amount of money that would make that worth my while.

Still, i'd rather lose 15 years of my life than the whole of it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 12:28 pm
@Olivier5,
So true! During WWII, we were put into concentration camps for 4 years. I also enlisted into the USAF for 4 years. Those were somewhat lost years, but I have traveled to over 80 countries since then. I consider myself to be fortunate and blessed that I have seen so much of this world, and have met and made friends with many - even in Russia.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 01:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
even in Russia

Tsk tsk tsk...

:-)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 01:58 pm
@Olivier5,
I met Sergei on a2k, and when I visited Moscow, he spent the day with me showing me around. I met Oleg in Havana, Cuba, several years ago, and he's from Moscow. My travel buddy has his email address if I wish to contact him, but we connected on Facebook recently.
0 Replies

Timaeusyahoo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:14 am
@dorotalysik,
Yes. Without death penalty, killing and murder will be free of limits.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 06:00 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Still, i'd rather lose 15 years of my life than the whole of it.

Maybe, but that wasn't the point.

The point was that if you are unjustly imprisoned for 15 years of your life, there is no amount of money that would compensate you for that. Is there any amount of money you would accept for being imprisoned for 15 years?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 06:01 am
@Timaeusyahoo,
Timaeusyahoo wrote:

Yes. Without death penalty, killing and murder will be free of limits.

... and speeding. As it is right now, nearly everyone breaks the speed limit without a second thought. If we started executing anyone who broke the speed limit, this particular crime would like end.

It may even save lives (since there would be fewer accidents.)
Olivier5

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 07:09 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Is there any amount of money you would accept for being imprisoned for 15 years?

I suppose it would depend on the prison environment, food, internet, whether I can keep my virginity and the likes. Every man's got his price, they say.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 07:11 am
@maxdancona,
Lep spreading in the subway, too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 11:05 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Maybe, but that wasn't the point.
The point was that if you are unjustly imprisoned for 15 years of your life, there is no amount of money that would compensate you for that. Is there any amount of money you would accept for being imprisoned for 15 years?

Paying money to exonerees allows them to live a comfortable life after leaving prison (presuming that they are paid enough). It is far better than not attempting to right the wrong that was done to them.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 01:39 pm
@oralloy,
Sure Oralloy, but no amount of money is worth wasting 15 years of life in prison.

How much money would it take for you to agree to go to prison for this time? I wouldn't do it for any amount of money.

The money is better than nothing... but it is still not making up for the real loss of life.
oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 02:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
How much money would it take for you to agree to go to prison for this time? I wouldn't do it for any amount of money.

I don't know. I have no idea how to even comprehend such a choice.

But if I had a choice between "being executed" verses "15 years in prison followed by 15 million dollars tax free" (a likely court judgement if my wrongful conviction was proven to be due to state wrongdoing), I'd choose the latter.

If I had a choice between "being executed" verses "15 years in prison followed by 1.2 million dollars tax free, free health care and psychological treatment for life, and an additional $80,000 a year for the rest of my life" (what Texas would pay to an exoneree who had spent 15 years in prison), I'd still choose the latter.

Side note: It is interesting how a conservative state like Texas does so much better in caring for their exonerees than many left-leaning states do.
0 Replies