President Bush (free rider problem last night ? )

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:33 pm
Unfortunately I do not have TV at home so I missed it, anyway I'd like to know what did he say about the free rider problem .
Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 902 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:33 pm
Sure, I will bite.

What is the free rider problem? I don't think he used that term anyway.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:36 pm
I think he is talking about the guest worker program, or the SS issue.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:45 pm
Maybe he is talking about the Freedom riders...

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAfreedomR.jpg

I haven't heard much of them outside of history class since the late 60's though.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:28 am
Hmmm. Perhaps he is referring to the well-known problem in the inner cities where people will just hitch a ride on the back of the metro buses without paying a fare? Not sure what the federal government could do about it though. Doesn't seem like something that should come up in a S.O.T.U. address.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
The Free Rider Problem. I'm not entirely satisfied with this definition (e.g. it mistakenly ties the "tragedy of the commons" to the free rider problem), but it's ok as an introduction to the concept.

I don't know where Bush mentioned the free rider problem in the state of the union speech. A quick "find" operation on the text didn't result in any hits for "free rider."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 12:52 pm
Thanks Joe... That's interesting.

What are the examples in today's America that Bush could/should have addressed? (You still there DJ? Don't leave us hanging about what the heck you were talking about.)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 01:06 pm
Or maybe Free Riders.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 01:07 pm
Here is a much better explanation of the free rider problem: Rat Democracy.

EDIT: I mean much better than the definition I previously posted. Brandon's cite is very good too.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 01:09 pm
Maybe it has to do with people who ride the bus, then claim they lost their transfers when it's time to pay. I've seen that done here. They fish around for the transfer until the driver loses patience and lets them out.

They are, in a sense, free riders. But again, I don't recall Pres. Bush addressing this the other night. Perhaps he should have...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 01:11 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Maybe it has to do with people who ride the bus, then claim they lost their transfers when it's time to pay. I've seen that done here. They fish around for the transfer until the driver loses patience and lets them out.

They are, in a sense, free riders. But again, I don't recall Pres. Bush addressing this the other night. Perhaps he should have...

I wonder what it means that he so obviously omitted this issue. Why should these people get transfers for free? It's society as a whole that pays in the end. I want an investigation. How high up does this thing reach?
0 Replies