Gorbachev Calls Iraq Election 'Fake'

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:47 pm
Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev called the Iraqi parliamentary elections a profanation.

In an interview with the Interfax news agency, he said the elections are "very far from what true elections are. And even though I am a supporter of elections and of the transfer of power to the people of Iraq, these elections were fake."

I don't think these elections will be of any use. They may even have a negative impact on the country. Democracy cannot be imposed or strengthened with guns and tanks," the agency quoted Gorbachev as saying.

Earlier, the Russian Foreign Ministry said it respected the results of Iraq's elections. However, the statement said that it was important for the Iraqi people to acknowledge and accept the poll's results. Russian President Vladimir Putin also welcomed the parliamentary elections in Iraq, calling it a "step in the right direction" and a "positive event."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/2/2/233843.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 413 • Replies: 1
No top replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:58 pm
I forgot the part where I cared what Gorbachev thought.

Democracy like any new form of government has to be generally brought by guns and tanks. That's how almost democracies or republics came about. Through civil war or some outside force. Try not to flaunt to much naivity there.

BTW I'm not some conservative bushophile talking. I did not support the Iraq war or even Bush. But I hate the inane partisanship of the liberals far more.
0 Replies