Job Shadow Day - What Would You Do?

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:19 am
I know take Your Child To Work Day isn't until April 28th, but our school system does a "Job Shadow Day" to go along with Groundhog Day. For this day the students (8th graders) get to choose who they want to shadow based on their interests, rather than just going to work with Mom or Dad.

Well, today our youngest, whose best friends dad is a United pilot, got to hop a plane to DC to learn about a career as a commercial airline pilot. How absolutely cool is that? I'm not sure which one of us was more excited when he left at 5:45 this morning!

It got me to thinking...

If you could "Job Shadow" someone today, who would you choose (what career) and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,517 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:33 am
Oh... this is fun. I've always wanted to fly in a jet fighter and have those afterburners kick on and go shooting straight up into the air, so I might choose a military pilot to shadow. I've also been pretty interested in psychology and architecture so those would be my back up shadow jobs.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:49 am
Medical Examiner
or
Crime Scene Technician (crime scene investigator, crime scene analyst, whatever you want to call it)

I've always been intensely fascinated with this stuff but always wondered if I could hack it. (no pun intended)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:36 am
JP- I'm thinking that is our sons ultimate dream job,too, but we are encouraging the private pilot route. He's highly motivated by money, so hopefully that will win out.

bella - uh, yeah. Bad pun! I would find that fascinating, too but am already sure I wouldn't have the stomach for it. I like the logic and crime scene recreation aspects. Just not the blood.

I would probably want to shadow someone that designs homes. I would want to be the designer, but not have to do the actual drafting work. That part would be boring and require too much detail work. I would like the creativity involved, though, and would want to decorate it after it was done.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:17 am
i think i'd like to try my hand at being the son of a multi-billionaire for a day or 3...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:19 am
What a fun question!

Dream gig: job shadow the photographer Mary Ellen Mark.

Something more generic: something with a zookeeper or animal trainer.

Just for kicks: follow around a reporter for the Weekly World News.

There are just way too many things to chose from!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:25 am
Just one more - something a bit more realistic - but kind of dumb...

I have always wanted to use one of those paint color mixers at Home Depot so shadowing the color mixer person would be another cool way to spend the day.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:43 am
boomerang wrote:
I have always wanted to use one of those paint color mixers at Home Depot so shadowing the color mixer person would be another cool way to spend the day.

That is a lot of fun. I used to work at a Sherwin Williams way back when. My favorite part was when a customer would come in with a color he wanted custom made. We had a computer reader that would get you close but it was never perfect. I always did it by eye and nailed it every time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:10 pm
Now THAT would be challenging, jpin....

I always study the little recipe cards they stick to the top of the can so I can try to figure out how the colors combinde to make the selected color. To be able to look at a color and know its componets is an art in itself.

Now I want to shadow you around the paint department!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
I must say, paint mixing has been attractive to me, too. Must be the little kid in us!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:56 pm
Scarily, I'm into the paint mixer as well.

I'm always buying oops paint and then adding tint by hand to get the colours I want. I'd love to operate that mixer.

Anything else? hmmmm

I worked as a job coach and then vocational counsellor for a lonnnnng time, so I've tried out a lot of stuff. Not much left that I find fascinating.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:18 pm
Wow I wish I knew so many women were interested in mixing paint back when I actually was mixing paint... just think of all of the chances I missed Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:37 pm
(Uh, we actually just liked watching you shake that can!) Cool
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:38 pm
I can only speak for myself but I didn't become fascinated with the paint mixer until I was 40ish.

I think it might be a great career choice for an older man interested in meeting women though!

Or somebody with a kind of attraction to the Mrs. Robinsons of the world.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 06:26 pm
My paint mixer thing goes back to my first apartment, soooooo maybe 25 years Shocked

I thought of somebody else to shadow - sort of for the awful fascination of it - Hollywood wedding planner.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 06:36 pm
Awful fascination for sure! Brides are the most atrocious animals on earth. I photographed a few weddings before I decided I wasn't that masochisitic.

A job I think would be cool is a packaging designer, especially for a hair product line. I get hypnotized in salons by all of that cool packaging. Naming that stuff would be fun - or naming makeup colors - that would be fun too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 10:45 pm
I'd love to shadow the Travel Editor for Southern Living magazine. The whole idea of getting to go everywhere I wanted on someone else's dime, get chauffered around to all the best places, wined and dined, and then get PAID to write about it (instead of just writing in my own journal)...it's almost too good to be true.

And I told him so when I chauffered him around town here a coupla years ago.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:23 am
Eva - I'm with you. That one would be very cool.

Made me think of another one myself... I would love to shadow Ty or Carter from Trading Spaces. Would love to play with their tools and learn how to make things.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 08:14 am
C'mon squinney, tell the truth. You just want to play with their tools. Wink
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 08:18 am
I'd like to shadow a carpenter or cabinet maker. There's just something about power tools and wood glue that I love.

Other than that, an interior designer or a mail route planner. I really enjoy shortest-route problems.

<edit> I didn't read squinney's post first. Yeah, Ty Carter would be awesome to shadow.
0 Replies