Bush Tells CBC He's 'Unfamiliar' with Voting Rights Act

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:38 am
Bush tells CBC he's 'unfamiliar' with Voting Rights Act

by Roland S. Martin, Chicago Defender
January 27, 2005

President George W. Bush met with the Congressional Black Caucus Wednesday for the first time as a group in nearly four years, but what CBC members said stood out the most was the president's declaration that he was "unfamiliar" with the Voting Rights Act of 1965, one of the most significant pieces of legislation passed in the history of the United States.

At the conclusion of yesterday's 40-minute meeting, Bush - who attended along with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice - was asked by Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-2nd) whether he would support the re-authorization of a portion of the Voting Rights Act that must be approved every 25 years (It will come up for consideration next year).

"I don't know anything about the 1965 Voting Rights Act," Jackson recalled the president saying in an interview with the Chicago Defender.

He said that a hurried Bush went on to say that "when the legislation comes before me, I'll take a look at it, but I don't know about it to comment any more than that, but we will look at it when it comes to us."

"It was so unbelievable to me that as soon as I walked out, I got Frank (Watkins, Jackson's top legislative aide) on the telephone, put (Congresswomen) Maxine (Waters, D-Calif.) and Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), so that I could confirm what he just said is what I heard," Jackson said.

Rep. Bobby Rush (D-1st) said he recalled the president saying he was "unfamiliar" with the Voting Rights Act.

"I was surprised and astounded," Rush told the Defender....

...As for Rice, Rush said the new secretary of state said "absolutely nothing. She was just there. For what reason, I'm not sure."

Whole article here: http://www.chicagodefender.com/page/local.cfm?ArticleID=381
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 604 • Replies: 5
No top replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:46 am
My guess is that this will be spined into a discussion about Jessie Jackson and how the left has kept the blacks down by giving them all those rights and those rights are now not needed. They are laying the ground work in my opinion to not re-authorizing it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:15 am
revel wrote:
My guess is that this will be spined into a discussion about Jessie Jackson and how the left has kept the blacks down by giving them all those rights and those rights are now not needed. They are laying the ground work in my opinion to not re-authorizing it.

When they re-authorize it, please remember this prediction.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:12 am
That he knows nothing about it is no surprise. The surprise would have been if he did. I am sure when the time comes if it does someone will in the simple language Bush can understand explain it to him and tell him whether to sign or veto the legislation.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:43 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
revel wrote:

didn't mean to make two post the same.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:43 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
revel wrote:

If he does re-authorize it, I will gladly remember my dire predictions and welcome the re-authrization.
0 Replies