Why hurt and humiliate the helpless

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 12:01 am
Why do people get off on hurting or humiliating those who can't do anything about it? Having been homeless, the things I had to do, things done to me and things I've seen done to other homeless people. To me its like torturing animals or babies. Hurting people who did nothing to you and all you are doing is messing with them for no reason.

jespah

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 09:32 am
@JessieSweetz,
I'll take a stab at explaining it, although it's probably more complicated than this.

There are people in the world who have very little power in their lives, very little to point to as an accomplishment or a good thing, yet they crave that sort of attention and good feeling that comes with such things. Hence they instead play a comparisons game:
At Ieast I'm not:
  • A person of color
  • Fat
  • Old
  • Female
  • Gay
  • Trans
  • Disabled
  • A person with Down's Syndrome
  • Out of shape
  • Jewish
  • Muslim
  • Poor
  • Addicted
  • An ex-con
  • Single
  • Childless
  • Widowed
  • Homeless
These people love having a feeling of superiority, but they don't get it from being faster or stronger, smarter or kinder, or from having talent or an education or a good way with people. They get it from this sort of superficial garbage. And if they don't feel superior enough, then they actively try to put the other person down.

Hell, I've even seen it in the weight loss community, where people look down on anyone who's had plastic surgery, or took a weight loss supplement at any time, or who has/had more than 100 pounds to lose (by the way, I've been all three).

I suppose you could refer to it as toxic snobbery.
JessieSweetz

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 01:22 pm
@jespah,
How sad. I never thought of it like that. It does make sense. I just felt there were too many jerks and idiots in the world, but your way makes better sense.
Thank you
jespah

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 02:03 pm
@JessieSweetz,
Hang in there. Best we can all do is be kind and drown out these other voices.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 03:21 pm
@JessieSweetz,
I agree with Jespah, but I would like to go even further: there is very little risk in hurting and/or humiliating the homeless. As a group, they are generally powerless to protest the abuse, or take any steps to counter it. This perceived lack of risk encourages a group of people(probably best described as a group with terms such as sc*mb@gs) to commit such despicable acts.

It's perhaps similar to the current culture of online bullying and the constant deluge of death threats that seems to permeate a lot of discussions... People feel themselves to be anonymous and as such not readily accountable for any nefarious deeds they commit.
JessieSweetz

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:41 pm
@najmelliw,
So true and so wrong. Whether they are hurting the homeless or sex workers, no one cares about us, cops laugh about it. No one seems to care.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:53 am
@JessieSweetz,
Predators prefer easy prey.
Learn who the predators are and don't be easy prey.
JessieSweetz

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 06:09 pm
@mark noble,
Tue, I'm learning. Been good for a couple of months now, just flashbacks
0 Replies