Have rising housings costs affected homelessness

mjb2019

Mon 10 Feb, 2020 10:57 pm
I am a college student trying to afford housing. Rent is so high in my area that I have a lot of friends 'couch surfing' because they can't afford housing. Is anybody else seeing this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 587 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

Linkat

Tue 11 Feb, 2020 07:18 am
@mjb2019,
I have not personally seen this - but I have heard of this.

One thing I have learned it is not just the rent in the surrounding areas of colleges (Boston I know for sure is one area this is the case) - but it is also the schools charging insane prices to live on campus. It is a huge money maker for them. I cannot imagine how it could cost $1k a month to live in one small room with another roommate while sharing a bath on a common floor. But many colleges require at the very least that first year students live on campus.
0 Replies

Methen

Tue 11 Feb, 2020 08:54 am
@mjb2019,
why dont you and your friends go in together and get something
Linkat

Tue 11 Feb, 2020 09:40 am
@Methen,
Methen wrote:

Most do - rents still top $1k and higher a month unless you go for an illegal unit in which it becomes likely unsafe, crowded and likely a health hazard.
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 11 Feb, 2020 10:16 am
@mjb2019,
Have raising coffee cost affected the consumption off coffee?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 09:16 am
@Methen,
Methen wrote:

Just because they're friends doesn't exactly mean they're suited to live with one and other, (temperament and lifestyle wise, etc...).

Plus, they may have different needs in living spaces (geographically and residentially speaking). Some may need to live a bit closer to their work. Some may find cheaper places that are lesser "friendly" neighborhoods where others don't feel secure enough in the first place.

But, yes. That is an alternative consideration one should take if looking for a new place to live. Ask a close friend who is also looking for a place to live. Just make sure that you two are compatible.
0 Replies

Methen

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 09:56 am
@Linkat,
in my opinion going through all the crap of going to college simply is not worth it, I have seen a lot of people that did and end up working at McDonalds
Linkat

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 10:12 am
@Methen,
Methen wrote:

in my opinion going through all the crap of going to college simply is not worth it, I have seen a lot of people that did and end up working at McDonalds

Depends on your major - if you major in Art History yeah I could see that - where as if you major in Chemistry - it is pretty lucrative to be a chemist.
0 Replies