Can a baby poop TOO much?(you can stop laughing now... ha)

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
This is the 2nd day of Bean's poop fest.
In all of my books, all I can find is about diarrhea, and the possibility of THAT being too much. But nothing else? She is pooping on average 6 times a day. All the size of my fist! Shocked ( for the squeemish.... here comes the details)
All of her bowel movements are soft, normal color, normal odor.. nothing out of the ordinary at all. And trust me.... I look... ;-)
She has no fever, no change in appetite, no excessive thirst, no sleepyness... nothing that would say ' call the doc now'.. except she is pooping amounts that I have never seen?!! And doing it several times a day!!! I dont think she EATS this much food..?????
Is this a cause for concern?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,206 • Replies: 23
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
Before yesterday, how often did she poop?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
does she show any other symptoms of republicanism?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

maybe twice a day.
It was a given that she would poop once a day.
Every now and then it would happen twice.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

dyslexia wrote:
does she show any other symptoms of republicanism?
Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:45 pm
Has her diet changed at all recently?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:46 pm
How old is she?

I'm assuming we're talking diapers here so keep in mind that if they are very soft some of the liquid will get absorbed by the diaper and they might be wetter than they appear.

Was she plugged up at all prior to yesterday and how many times a day does she normally go?

She might have eaten something that has disrupted her system a bit. Are you still introducing new foods and did she have something new recently?

Make sure she stays hydrated. If she's losing more liquids than normal through her poops then she can get dehydrated even if it doesn't appear that she has classic diarrhea.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
No no big diet changes.
The only new food I introduced to her diet this month was spaghetti squash.
Her diet is all homemade baby food.
Basically, I buy organic fruits , veggies , grains and nuts. boil, steam, or broil them.. what ever they call for, Mill them to baby consistancy, and freeze small servings. So she isnt getting anything packaged that might contribute to this problem. The spaghetti squash was one serving ( about 1/5th of a cup) one time 4 days ago. No new juices, breads etc. I am pretty good with introducing only one food at a time and not introducing ANYTHING for at least 3 weeks to make sure she isnt allergic.
She hasnt been outside.. well.. she has been OUTside, but not to any stores, playgrounds.. etc where she could have come in contact with anything either.
her diapers have nto shown any signs of liquid in her poop. It is just soft mush like usual. ?

Dys-
no other signs.. Thank the lord...
I mean it.. I SAID thank the lord! NOW! Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:52 pm
Oh, she is 10 months old
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:01 pm
I'm clueless unless she was saving it up for a few days before hand.

I don't think you have to haul her off to the peds but it never hurts to give them a call and let them know somethings up. Gives you some peace of mind and gives them a chance to do something for free.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:05 pm
I just got off the phone with her nurse.
She said that if there is no fever , there isnt anything they can do.
>sigh<
I hate general answers like that. It makes me feel like I am worrying too much..
hmmmmmm,. maybe I am...?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:14 pm
Maybe, but at least you're paying attention. Has she been eating more fibrous foods lately? If she wasn't saving it, and nothing in her diet has changed, it's a real mystery. Trust your instincts, though. If you think she's not well, go ahead and take her to the doctor.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:21 pm
It is hard for me to accept that nurses answer. I am a nurse as well and I know when there is a chance that something is wrong. I dont see any real signs though that would make me drive her to an ER... but there is something.. maybe? Im not sure. It very well COULD just be -overflow- but her body is so small, this sure seems alot of excess.hehe.
If it doesnt stop by tomorrow I think I will take her to her Doc. I think 3 days is enough tine for her to get rid of excess ya think?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
This is ringing faint bells. I looked in the Sears' Baby Book (would you get that thing already?! I think you'd love it) and a quick perusal of the index didn't yield anything except that 1-5 a day is normal for a newborn.

I think in this case consistency and her general affect is more important than frequency per se -- is she acting perky and healthy? If so I wouldn't worry too much.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
well I am over 60 in years and still full of it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:56 pm
I looked in "What to Expect the First Year" and the only not obvious thing listed was teething. The rest: illness, food sensitivities, antibiotics, change in diet, etc you've thought of already. Is she teething?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 03:29 pm
Soz -
I ordered that book 2 days ago from Amazon;-)
It aint here yet!! ( waahhh )

yeah, she is teething, she is on her 6th tooth. 4 on top, 2 on bottom.
That could be it.....she has never had this problem before when she was cutting teeth, but that doesnt mean it wont happen this time..
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:15 pm
If my 12 month old only pooped once or twice a day, I would call a doctor. You should be thanful your kid started pumping out appropriate ammounts.

The way you describe it sounds perfectly normal by my experience.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:46 pm
I recall Yaya going through something like that. Other baby bloggers have mentioned the same thing. "You really gotta admire someone who can make a poop as big as they are."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:03 pm
It sounds like teething to me. If you are concerned about the amount - give her something to plug her up and avoid foods that cause excessive pooping. Give her bananas and avoid fruit juices. Bananas are great for plugging and easy for a 10 month old to eat. Also rice - another good plugging food.

Isn't motherhood grand? It is socially acceptable to discuss poop.
0 Replies