I alienated my sister

jespah

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 09:03 am
@neptuneblue,
Well, that sucks.

But at least you know where she stands. Apparently she thinks abuse is no biggie you should just get over, whereas she gets to hold a grudge for you not calling her for Thanksgiving, which was 4 months ago.

In my professional, utterly non-doctor opinion, that's fucked up.
vikorr

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:52 pm
@jespah,
That's not at all how these things tend to work.

The sister 'used to be her rock', and there is no reason the underlying character traits that supported that sort of relationship would have changed for the worse (outside of domestic abuse, where they can become repressed). Conflict doesn't often change character traits.

Do you know why her sister believes she has to constantly walk on egg shells?

As one possibility: her sister may have been hurting over many years, watching how much Neptune is hurting. She may believe (many psychologists do) that to completely heal, Neptune needs to forgive (I would say let it slide into the past), because the holding on keeps the pain fresh, and so keeps the damage ongoing. And in so believing, her sister may have tried over and over again to 'help' Neptune forgive, in the hope of her healing...only for Neptune to react to 'her not understanding my pain'...

...or that may not have been it at all. There are many variations on the motivations in such situations.

What is fairly normal for both sides of such a situation, where emotions can be felt intensely, is for one or both parties (usually both) to communicate in ways they don't even realise are damaging...hence why mediators are so good in such circumstances.

By the way Neptune, whatever you decide, I do hope it works out for you.
vikorr

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 07:23 pm
@vikorr,
By the way, for whoever is doing so - rather than voting posts down - why not explain what you disagree with? It's much more helpful to all involved that way. Down votes with no explanation help no one.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 06:13 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
None of that is going to happen. Any communication with my niece should go through Victim's Services and she isn't willing to accept any thing I have to say. It's a done deal. I get it, no hard feelings, she has to look out for herself, and she's doing that. She knows that I was opposed to giving a rapist the victim's address and that's just how that one went.

One additional suggestion that I have, if you're still reading this thread, is to take Glitterbag's advice about finding out for yourself about the parole hearings, and make sure that the parole board knows about the damage that he has caused to everyone by writing that letter.

It would likely make them have second thoughts if they were at all inclined to release him.
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 01:01 am
@oralloy,
Absolutely not.

Whether he stands or falls, I will not be a party to it. He is now 59 years old. I have to figure out my own healing, and right now, I don't give a rat's ass. Not my problem, man.

I wrote an email to my sister. It's my last ditch effort. I have to be done with this. It seems I never will be.
0 Replies