I'm goin' out for Afghani food...

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:13 pm
First off, let me say I use a lot of taxis for my catering business, and recently found a great new company whose owner happens to be Muslim, and Afghani. All the drivers are Muslim as well, and most are always tuned into the news when I am picked up. Today the owner picked me up and recommended 2 Afghani restaurants in the city, one of which he said if I called him up to take me there, I could probably eat for free, and the chef would show me how to cook Afghani food.

Well, not like the Food and Drink forum is the place for politics, but my point is, I have found a very different attitude among the true citizens of our world than what we read in the media. When a Jewish chef and a Muslim cabbie can connect over what Christians refer to as "breaking bread" I think that is a beautiful thing, and I'm goin' out for Afghani food!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,382 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:18 pm
cavfancier- What a lovely story!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:27 pm
Yay Cavfancier! I wish I had such good connections! I did finally go to the Afghani restaurant near me. It doesn't have a lot on the menu for vegetarians though.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:42 am
Sounds awsome. I'd love to try it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 06:26 am
Cooking is a universal language. In my country, the charting of the influence and acceptance and embracing of new cultures is a story of changes in cuisine.

And, at last, we have an embracing of indigenous Australian cuisine. Sad, eh?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 06:32 am
Well, the most popular food in the Central Asia (and Afghanistan is a part of it) is boiled rice with meat (usually mutton, but poultry can be used too) and vegetables (onion, carrots, garlic) and dried fruit (raisins, apricots). This meal is called pilau, pilaf, plov and the like.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 07:46 am
Oh what fun!! You'll have a blast!!Very Happy
I've found that the love of food is "The great communicator", people with a passion for it just love to share it. And people become especially proud of the foods of their families, which in turn are usually the heritage of their homelands and love to show them off!!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 08:16 am
Lil'k... where is it? I'll try anything once.

Deb, please tell me that Oz cuisine is not like the Outback Steakhouse chain we have scattered over the country like rubble...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 08:34 am
SP - it's over by the galleria mall.
Helmand Restaurant
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 10:58 am
By the way, what does Australian cuisine look like? Is this something resembling the American one? (Popular prejudice claims that the central meals of the latter are BBQ and Thanksgiving Day turkey).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 11:17 am
Seal - I have heard tell of those horrors!

There may well be some Ozzians whose diet consists of whatever those places sell - steak, mainly, is it?

However - the cuisine most typical of finer Oz is known as "fusion' - a blending, developed first by the wonderful Cheong Liew, of my own fair city, of the finest of European classical cuisine and Asian - using the freshest of Oz ingredients.

Other than that, we, as an immigrant country, like to choose from the many influences forming us. One may eat the odd meat and three veg. from Britain - although the veg will now generally be crisp and lovely - or Italian, Middle Eastern, or Greek, or Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Thai (very influential), Vietnamese, whatever. Personally, I cook a lot of Thai influenced food - or Indian. Italian and Greek are very big - as is Vietnamese, Malaysian and fusion.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 11:19 am
OK, but is there any specifically Australian meal (except piece of bread with Vegemite in the morning)?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 11:48 am
Jerry, I read Anthony Bourdain's book 'A Cook's Tour in Search of the Perfect Meal'. That's exactly what this book tells. The love of food works great for him all over the world.

So what was the Afghani food like, Cavfancier?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 11:57 am
While being in Afghanistan in 1982-86, I used to eat in the Soviet Army canteens, and did not taste the Afghan food. Right now I made a brief Web search and found there a dessert meal that I regret that I have never tasted.
Here is the recipe:
Quote:

Firnee

3 c Milk
1 pinch Salt
1/3 c Granulated sugar
1/2 c Cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 c Cold water
1/2 c Slivered blanched almonds
1/4 ts Ground cardamom (or more)
1/4 ts Saffron threads (pounded), can be omitted
1/4 c Finely chopped pistachios (blanched)

Put all but 1/2 cup milk into a heavy pan and add salt and sugar. Put on to heat gently, stirring to dissove sugar. Blend cornflour into reserved milk with the 1/4 cup water and pour into warm milk, stirring constantly. Add almonds and keep stirring until mixture thickens and bubbles. Use a whisk if mixture becomes lumpy. Add cardamom to taste and the pounded saffron. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, letting pudding simmer very gently. Stir occasionally.

Pour into 6 or 8 individual sweet dishes, spreading evenly. Sprinkle pistachio nuts around edge of each dish. To serve firnee in the traditional manner, the pudding should be poured into two plates, decorated with pistachio nuts and cut into quarters to serve in wedges.

By the way, I think that this recipe is almost dietetic, despite of pertaining to a dessert meal; it contains almost no fat, especially if the low-fat milk is used for its cooking.
The site where this and the other Afghan recipes can be found is as follows:Margarita's Afghani Menu
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:14 pm
Thanks, steissd. Very good link. Even if Margarita didn't care much for firnee, I think it sounds delicious.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 02:04 pm
Toronto's an amazing place for groups of people from differing cultures gathering to go out for meals at an astonishing range of restaurants. Within walking (5 - 10 minutes) distance of my house in a not too posh part of town is a good Ethiopian restaurant, an excellent Thai restaurant, close to a dozen Chinese restaurants of varying quality and style, a Peruvian place, a Macedonian diner, a tandoor house, a Scottish pub, a Polynesian restaurant, a restaurant that seems to be Algerian (still trying to figure that one out) and another dozen or so eating places of various mixed cultures.

I'm in the process of organizing a group of about a dozen to go to the Ethiopian place - our group members include a woman who came here from Kiev about 8 months ago, a friend from Goa, an immigrant from England with her husband and daughter, a friend from Sri Lanka, a Muslim former co-worker from Guyana, a friend from Guyana who has converted from Hinduism to Christianity, a friend from Tobago and a couple of plain ole trontonians (whose parents or grandparents immigrated here). I love the mix of people here, and the willingness of them to mix it up further.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:05 am
Hey, who is in favour of Bush and Saddam getting together for a private dinner at Nobu to work out their differences instead of this nonsense we are getting now?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:09 am
Thanks for the dessert recipe. Sounds good.

To be honest, we won't be able to make it out until next month, but I will keep everyone posted.

ehBeth, Toronto does indeed rock when it comes to the wide availibilty of different foods and restaurants, not to mention the wealth of ingredients we have to work with. A true "melting pot", so to speak Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:30 pm
Kensington Market rocks!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:53 pm
Cavfancier

What a delightful story!
And yum, I LOVE Afghani food! (what's the name of that delicious yoghurt-based soup, someone?)
0 Replies