Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:50 pm
We just had a power outage. Now it happens that I am visually impaired at night, to put nice words on it. Whonk, splat, excuse me, trip, plonk, thwang....

well, over m'life I've learned to keep a flashlight around just in case.
I have a nifty decorative concrete bowl in my living room with a batch of flashlights at the ready, and I keep batteries as backup, only reasonable, though I am not all so perfect in keeping them ready.

So tonight we had a power outage. Oh/sht. Then I remember the recent decorative bowl thing, which was nearly meant as a joke.

Grab wall, grab table, and so on, and I found the flashlights, and set up lit room areas. Also grabbed a book I like, and my dog on the couch, and we were fine.

So, what, this post is to nag those who don't have flashlights or candles at hand...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,176 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:58 pm
Flashlights??? Who needs 'em when you have cat like night senses?

<as I stub my toes again on leg of the bed>
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:05 pm
I stocked up on candles, batteries, and flashlights after the blackout of September 2003. I even have a TV with batteries...just to catch the local news and weather.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:27 pm
A tv with batteries, what can I say...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:12 am
well i like to feel for things in the dark... then i learned that when ladies are about its not the smartest thing to do... so now i own a big mag lite...
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:53 am
Last summer we had a blackout so I found my DeWalt flashlight and set it on the floor and was able to aim it at the dartboard to illuminate it perfectly. My friends and I continued playing darts and drinking beer throughout the entire outage. It is always a good idea to have a flaslight handy.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:00 am
I have lots of flashlights and lots of candles. When I was a kid, the power went out practically every time it rained, so it's a long habit of mine.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
Darts by flashlight, cool...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:02 am
I have been wantingto get one of those manual flashlights. They have a kind you shake, squeeze, pump, crank for 5 seconds every minute or so. But, I don't have one. And, I left my flashlight outside on my front steps a year agao and someone took it by the next morning. So, I bought another one - I have no idea where it is.

Candles I have. I really like the idea of candles, so I buy them, but I never think to light them. Matches I have fewer off.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
Quote:
They have a kind you shake, squeeze, pump, crank for 5 seconds every minute or so. But, I don't have one.

You sure that's not a nightstand toy?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
um, yep
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:53 am
Osso--

I'm with you: Necessity is the Mother of Invention and Physical Infirmity is the Memory of Necessity. My bones were not built for dark wandering.

I have flashlights in every place where I spend considerable sitting time: beside my living room chair; within arms reach of my kitchen rocking chair; the drawer of my bedside table, tucked on a shelf in my computer lair and between toilet paper and unread magazines in a bathroom cabinet.

Woe betide Mr. Noddy--or anyone else--who uses one of my flashlights and doesn't replace it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:06 pm
Yep, I got me a nice flashlight, an oil lamp, tons of candles and a wood stove. We lose the power fairly often, so we'd be up the creek without a paddle if we weren't prepared.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:15 pm
I keep a small flashlight on my nightstand. That way I don't step on pets when making my way to the bathroom in the dark.

Of course I learned this the hard way.....ooof, meow, whine, ouch!
0 Replies

Golden Bough

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:19 pm
I have flashlights and a kerosene lamp.

Back when I was growing up, we were always losing power, so kerosene lamps were a household fixture. We even had a kerosene stove for emergencies--I recall my mother cooking dinner on it when the electricity went out.

It's been several years since I've had to use my kerosene lamp, but it is filled and ready, just in case.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:35 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Flashlights??? Who needs 'em when you have cat like night senses?

<as I stub my toes again on leg of the bed>

How is it that you can actually stub your toes/bang your shins multiple times without learning that the frickin' thing is there? I constantly stub my toe on the wall when leaving the kitchen (the baseboard juts out slightly at the floor). For how many times I've walked there it seems like I'd learn. But nooooo....

Ever wonder why we can't get this stuff??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
And you'd think I'd learn to always put my keys in the same place...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:42 pm
ossobuco wrote:
And you'd think I'd learn to always put my keys in the same place...

now THAT would just make life too easy. Laughing

I always loved the "key finder thingy" they sell (or used to sell). You press the remote and it makes the keychain beep. Well, that's all fine and good but if you lose your keys a lot, chances are you'd lose that remote too, right? So how do you find the lost remote that makes your lost keys found?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:57 pm
with a flashlight, silly...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Replying to self some years later..

I don't use candles that much since I'm clumsy and don't trust myself not tipping them over. In California, some of our power outages were a result of earthquakes, so on top of my own clumsiness, I feared the earth knocking candles over.
0 Replies