11000 Iraqi's set to vote in Canada. But for who?

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
Quote:
TORONTO (CP) - Nearly 11,000 Iraqi-Canadians out of an estimated 25,000 in the country who are eligible to cast a ballot have registered to vote in the Iraq election.

The International Organization for Migration reported Wednesday that 10,957 Iraqi-Canadians have signed up to vote in the national assembly election. "The numbers, I think, reflect quite accurately the numbers of interested Iraqis able to come and register in Canada," said Ian Smith, head of the Canadian branch of the organization's out-of-country voting program

....but

Quote:
More than 100 parties are fielding candidates. The parties represent the religious, ethnic and territorial divisions within Iraq. The assembly will be elected through proportional representation, so if a party wins 25 per cent of the vote, it will receive 25 per cent of the seats in the assembly. Former top members of the Baathist party under Saddam Hussein are banned from running.

Source

...and the majority of Iraqisdon't know who to vote for.
How ironic it is that democracy is being pushed, but the integrity of the democratic process is but a bastard child of the "real thing".
I commend the fact that elections are being held...but if the candidates are being murdered, and their "politics" relatively unknown...what's the point.
Seems like a show to me.
IMO stability should be given primacy over these elections.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 420 • Replies: 0
No top replies