What can we do to help improve science education in the US?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:22 pm
fishin wrote:

And ever since then they've been crying and unable to understand how it is that someone with multiple post-grad degerees can't get a job.

Well, according to the Harvard alum web site, this is true. A man who worked in pr for a large midwestern city found his retirement funds insufficient to support him and so he's now driving a truck. But, my left wing friends actually worked, not like a current student teacher who is getting a master's in teaching English at Salem State. EVeryone has to be somewhere, but . . .
-----------------------
fishin wrote:

d you'll note that the special needs community you refer to is probably the single most supportive community when it come to this NCLB program that you hate so much.

What does that mean? Who is the "special needs community"? The teachers? or the parents?

Actually, the special needs teachers and aides here all hate what they call, "No Child Gets Ahead."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:27 pm
Sigh!

fishin' wrote:
lmao. Tests are bad! Tests don't mean anything! "Besides, standardized testing is nothing new..". It's fun to watch you shoot down your own arguments.

No, I am not shooting down my own argument. These tests were called achievement tests. They did not punish the schools. This whole no child left behind thing is nothing more than a way of dismantling the public schools. How can informing you that tests are nothing new be in any way dismantling my argument? What about your own inability to offer a reason why folks who could barely graduate from college should write tests for companies looking to line to the pockets of their founders?

I know nothing of how these tests were written. I know what my results were.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:41 pm
Brandon, who just admitted I won, refuses to answer a statement made in the real world.

Well, despite his pouting, here are some answers for him.

The sole purpose would be to look at the average result for each school and provide assistance to schools whose students score well below the expected level.

1.) What about AHS where only 20 kids need retesting in English and 40 in math?

2.) The purpose of the NCLB program is to close schools.
----------------------------------

Any school which consistently scored very low for several years would be subject to some kind of repair process which would often involve firing some employees. An employee who consistently fails to perform and cannot or will not improve should expect to be fired.

Some systems have done this and put in commercial ventures like Edison Schools. They have regretted this almost immediately.

Unlike my numbered list of topics, Brandon, who thinks that I will cave in from something I have experienced first hand, just mushes everything into one paragraph and repeats and repeats.

What, Brandon, about for profit companies whose employees are untrained and barely educated? Let me tell you about my experience in a fifth grade class here in Arlington three years ago. The classroom was well decorated with a bulletin board devoted to student writing. These essays were about their shoes and the writing equalled my own 8th grade class' where we wrote weekly. There were history projects on Egypt in the form of tomb mock-ups; a bulletin board devoted to Latin words and the English, French and Spanish words that evolved from the Latin; several on-going science centers featuring animals and plants that the students monitored; another bulletin board featured math. All was at a very high level.

How old are you? I can say this was superior to the teaching I received. The woman who taught there -- I met her: she was out of the class, presenting a government mandated reading test -- has taught for 25 years. The knowledge she continued to accumulate shown in that room.

---------------------------------------

The American public education system can never perform adequately if it is exempt from any assessment or consequences for bad performance. There must be an objective process of quality control.

WHAT PART OF THERE ARE ASSESSMENTS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? There is the national math test. There are reading tests galore, given after the teacher has made her own assessment.

WHY DO YOU THINK THESE FOR PROFIT COMPANIES ARE BETTER AT ASSESSMENT THAN A WOMAN LIKE THE ONE DESCRIBED ABOVE?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:48 pm
What can we do to improve science education in the US?

Why not begin at home?! You know those folks with the three and four kids who don't read to them and don't teach them nursery rhymes? Let's call on them to prepare the soil, literally!

Notice how no one gardens any more? Grow your own tomatoes this summer. Use compost and not chemical fertilizers. The kids will begin to learn.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:47 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Brandon, who just admitted I won, refuses to answer a statement made in the real world.

Well, despite his pouting, here are some answers for him.

The sole purpose would be to look at the average result for each school and provide assistance to schools whose students score well below the expected level.

1.) What about AHS where only 20 kids need retesting in English and 40 in math?

What about it? A scoring algorithm for the school as a whole would be developed (a method of producing a score based on the student test results) so that each school would receive at least a pass or fail. Schools that failed would be offered assistance, but schools that failed repeatedly would be subject to federally mandated repair. I believe that a fair scoring algorithm to translate student results into a pass or fail for the school could be developed, but perhaps in some extremely complex case, a federal panel could override the result.

plainoldme wrote:
2.) The purpose of the NCLB program is to close schools.
----------------------------------

Whatever the faults of NCLB, I am debating whether schools should be tested and accountable in principle. Faults in this current program have no bearing on whether testing and accountability are valid in principle. Actually, yes, it might be true that the consequence for some school that failed repeatedly would be closing.

plainoldme wrote:
Any school which consistently scored very low for several years would be subject to some kind of repair process which would often involve firing some employees. An employee who consistently fails to perform and cannot or will not improve should expect to be fired.

Some systems have done this and put in commercial ventures like Edison Schools. They have regretted this almost immediately.

Why?

plainoldme wrote:
...What, Brandon, about for profit companies whose employees are untrained and barely educated?

If you are referring to having companies implement the testing, then, of course, it would certainly be possible to have a substandard or incompetent implementation, but that does not imply that the goal itself is wrong. Anything can have a good or poor implementation.

plainoldme wrote:
Let me tell you about my experience in a fifth grade class here in Arlington three years ago. The classroom was well decorated with a bulletin board devoted to student writing. These essays were about their shoes and the writing equalled my own 8th grade class' where we wrote weekly. There were history projects on Egypt in the form of tomb mock-ups; a bulletin board devoted to Latin words and the English, French and Spanish words that evolved from the Latin; several on-going science centers featuring animals and plants that the students monitored; another bulletin board featured math. All was at a very high level.

How old are you? I can say this was superior to the teaching I received. The woman who taught there -- I met her: she was out of the class, presenting a government mandated reading test -- has taught for 25 years. The knowledge she continued to accumulate shown in that room.

---------------------------------------

How does one excellent class or teacher have any bearing on the issue of whether schools should be tested and accountable?

plainoldme wrote:
The American public education system can never perform adequately if it is exempt from any assessment or consequences for bad performance. There must be an objective process of quality control.

WHAT PART OF THERE ARE ASSESSMENTS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? There is the national math test. There are reading tests galore, given after the teacher has made her own assessment.

WHY DO YOU THINK THESE FOR PROFIT COMPANIES ARE BETTER AT ASSESSMENT THAN A WOMAN LIKE THE ONE DESCRIBED ABOVE?

The national math test is a step in the right direction, but as for the rest of it, a teacher cannot be allowed to grade herself, nor can a school be allowed to grade itself. I am advocating an external measuring authority which will not have a motive to give its own work a good grade.

I have not, that I recall, advocated having a for-profit company implement the tests, but I can say that the imperfections in any particular implementation or method of implementation of standardized testing have nothing to do with whether standardized testing itself is desirable. If some implementation of it is no good, then throw it out and try again. Teachers, schools, or school districts simply cannot be allowed to grade themselves, since they cannot be relied on to fail themselves when they ought to.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 04:20 pm
plainoldme wrote:
First of all, this man is not in education.

And your part-time job working ias a clerk at Williams & Sonoma qualifies you as "working in education"?

Quote:
Second, he seems to disregard that it is no secret that these tests that have sprung up -- education is as fad ridden as medicine -- in the last decade ARE THE PRODUCT OF FOR PROFIT COMPANIES, CREATED BY PEOPLE WHO WANT NOTHING MORE THAN TO LINE THEIR POCKETS. There was a documentary on public television about this a few years back.

Oh! I see. You saw it on a documentary. Well, it MUSt be true then!

Quote:
And, if every student passes a test, the test may measure nothing.

Or it may measure exactly what it is supposed to measure.

Quote:
Here, in Massachusetts where there actually was teacher input in the formation of the state test -- MA was the first state in the nation to do this: every other one blindly accepted the tests -- the percentage of successful passes is considered too high and a movement is afoot to make the tests more stringent.

So is that the fault of the concept ofr the fault of the education professionals implementing the concept?

Quote:
Finally, what about the test composers -- those little business students who are just out of college and come to work daily with towels to dry behind their ears, who compose the tests by looking in the indexes of books and . . . I've written this too often to repeat.

Yes.. You keep yapping about it and you still ignore that right here in MA the tests are written by teachers culled directly from the classrooms of public schools. No newbie business students involved. The very test you scream the loudest about is written by the supposed best and brightest the Education profession can muster.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 04:34 pm
plainoldme wrote:
What does that mean? Who is the "special needs community"? The teachers? or the parents?

Actually, the special needs teachers and aides here all hate what they call, "No Child Gets Ahead."

They aren't to hard to find:

http://www.napas.org/publicpolicy/MR_Final_04-04.htm
http://www.ldanatl.org/legislative/joint_activities/nclb1203.asp
http://www.ndss.org/content.cfm?fuseaction=InfoRes.SchEduarticle&article=612
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 04:39 pm
plainoldme wrote:

They aren't to hard to find:

http://www.napas.org/publicpolicy/MR_Final_04-04.htm
http://www.ldanatl.org/legislative/joint_activities/nclb1203.asp
http://www.ndss.org/content.cfm?fuseaction=InfoRes.SchEduarticle&article=612
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 04:51 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Sigh!
No, I am not shooting down my own argument. These tests were called achievement tests. [/quote[

Oh! They were called acheivement tests! And they were measuring whether students were or weren't acheiving what exactly????

[quote] They did not punish the schools. This whole no child left behind thing is nothing more than a way of dismantling the public schools.

Blah! Blah! Blah! That's a load of crap and you know it. 98% of NCLB came directly fromit's predecessor, the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994. All the same testing requirements existed. The exact same teacher qualification requirments existed. The ONLY major difference between IASA and NCLB is that IASA had no repercussions if shcools ignored it.

Are you trying to tell us that Bill Clinton was trying to dismantle America's public schools now?

Quote:
bout your own inability to offer a reason why folks who could barely graduate from college should write tests for companies looking to line to the pockets of their founders?

The only people that write tests in this state are professional educators. Are you claiming they all barely graduated college now too? Maybe we should lower teacher pay so they can quit lining their pockets? The fact is that you have absolutely know knowledge of the qualifications of the test writers.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:06 pm
An old CNN article which comments on some of this
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:59 am
Brandon -- What you continually miss is that while there has always been standarized testing of the sort I took twice each year in the 1950s, the current mania for testing was created by a handful of for profit companies.

There are lots of educational scams out there today. Kaplan is one of them, imo. Another is the hiring of educational consultants to help parents place their kids in the right college. Scam! Scam! Scam! Standardized testing is another.

Why? Because the tests are so poorly written, by people without competancy that they test nothing.

The same people who champion these tests also call for more stringent teacher certification. So, on the one hand, they want better trained teachers but, on the other, they want these teachers to be evaluated via tests written by airheads and gumchewers.

And the purpose of NCLB is to close schools.

But, if 20 kids out of 1200 can not pass the English exam and those 20 kids either have educational plans or are from other countries, would you punish the entire school by taking away its certification?

And that reminds me. Certification is a rather rigorous process. Just another check in line that you chose to ignore.

Frankly, you rattle on in such an empty headed way that I can't respond now. Will wade through the rest of your nonsense later.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:38 am
plainoldme wrote:
Brandon -- What you continually miss is that while there has always been standarized testing of the sort I took twice each year in the 1950s, the current mania for testing was created by a handful of for profit companies.

There are lots of educational scams out there today. Kaplan is one of them, imo. Another is the hiring of educational consultants to help parents place their kids in the right college. Scam! Scam! Scam! Standardized testing is another.

Why? Because the tests are so poorly written, by people without competancy that they test nothing.

The same people who champion these tests also call for more stringent teacher certification. So, on the one hand, they want better trained teachers but, on the other, they want these teachers to be evaluated via tests written by airheads and gumchewers.

You are only saying that the people involved are not likely to implement this well. That has no bearing on whether it could or should be.

plainoldme wrote:
And the purpose of NCLB is to close schools.

You provide no evidence to substantiate this, but even if it is true, it only means that NCLB may be misguided, not that standardized testing from a non-local agency and accountability are not necessary. Furthermore, if a school were absolutely incorrigible and the problem appeared systemic within the school, why would closing it be out of the question?

plainoldme wrote:
But, if 20 kids out of 1200 can not pass the English exam and those 20 kids either have educational plans or are from other countries, would you punish the entire school by taking away its certification?

No, 20 out of 1200 failing would seem very acceptable to me. I might desire a corrective action if 900 out or 1200 couldn't pass.

plainoldme wrote:
...Frankly, you rattle on in such an empty headed way that I can't respond now. Will wade through the rest of your nonsense later.

Everyone here knows what the use of insults instead of logical debate means.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:01 am
Brandon -- This computer is not highlighting correctly but you've just taken me to task for insulting you but it was alright when you upbraided me for presenting a series of logical responses you just didn't understand.

Listen, kid, you need to return to the sandbox. You aren't listening and you're just writing because you have nothing better to do.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
plainoldme wrote:
Brandon -- This computer is not highlighting correctly but you've just taken me to task for insulting you but it was alright when you upbraided me for presenting a series of logical responses you just didn't understand.

Listen, kid, you need to return to the sandbox. You aren't listening and you're just writing because you have nothing better to do.

In other words, you cannot counter any of my statements directly, and are putting up a smokescreen to hide the fact. Most people who are right are both able and willing to directly address the arguments made to them in a debate.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:06 am
As a mother, I gave my kids subscriptions to age appropriate scientific magazines. I watched Nova with them. Maybe if more parents did those things, science instruction in the schools would be pulled along by the informed students.

Now, the teacher who offers AP physics, chemistry and honors physics and Chemistry is a graduate of MIT. I just spoke with a student teacher from the math dept who is wearing an MIT ring. If more graduates of top schools go into teaching, the standards will improve.

As for physics being boring, well, you should have spent the three years I spent with a series of kids passing through my house who could talk about nothing else but what they were learning in physics classes.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:12 am
plainoldme wrote:
As a mother, I gave my kids subscriptions to age appropriate scientific magazines. I watched Nova with them. Maybe if more parents did those things, science instruction in the schools would be pulled along by the informed students.

Now, the teacher who offers AP physics, chemistry and honors physics and Chemistry is a graduate of MIT. I just spoke with a student teacher from the math dept who is wearing an MIT ring. If more graduates of top schools go into teaching, the standards will improve.

As for physics being boring, well, you should have spent the three years I spent with a series of kids passing through my house who could talk about nothing else but what they were learning in physics classes.

What this has to do with the need to check to see if specific schools are functional, I cannot imagine.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:19 am
Brandon -- You must be a self possessed 17 year old. Sorry, kid, but I have argued correctly, not with pompous, meaningless sentences that ramble on. Learn to write. Learn to argue. Are you cutting class today?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:23 am
plainoldme wrote:
Brandon -- You must be a self possessed 17 year old. Sorry, kid, but I have argued correctly, not with pompous, meaningless sentences that ramble on. Learn to write. Learn to argue. Are you cutting class today?

Just for the record, I am a 51 year old man with two degrees in Physics, as you would have known had you even bothered to check my profile. You have refused to address any of my statements to you directly, preferring insults to logic. The pattern is that you make a statement, I respond directly to what you have said, and you then ignore what was said to you and make an irrelevant point or an insult. In the view of most people, this means that you lose.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:33 pm
Obfuscate! Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

Listen, little boy, when you chose to insult, its fine, but why would I bother to check your profile? I already know all that I need to know about you.

Try debating with facts and examples from the real world as I do not with obfuscation.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:36 pm
Brandon -- there hasn't been a fact in any of your airings: just the right wing propaganda you swallowed and regurgitated because it is easier than looking at the real world.
0 Replies