What can we do to help improve science education in the US?

plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 11:21 am
real life wrote:

I've got a lot more empathy for kids than you exhibit.

I think kids should be guided in their aspirations to be doctors, engineers, inventors, writers, historians .........

........not NBA players, NFL players or MLB players.

Do the math.

How many slots are open in the country for major league sports players? Maybe a few thousand at best. They have careers that average 2-3 years in the sport and they are out.

How many opportunities are there for kids who can read, write, know their math, their history, achieve in science? Millions of opportunities.

You do a great disservice to kids if you are encouraging them to consider pro sports as a profession, POM.

Teach them to read. Spend school money on teaching something that will benefit them.

If they want to play sports, perform music or act then let them do it after school.

Try this with a kid: Ask him, 'Tell me about the University of Florida (or any big university) ' and see if the first thing 8 out of 10 (or more ) mention is the sports program.

We give students the wrong perspective on education, POM. The University is not there just to field a football and basketball team.

Why can't a kid's heroes be those who are bright, creative, and educated? Because we steer them the wrong way. 'School spirit' is all about supporting the Homecoming Game, not the Science Fair.

Teachers and admins kowtow to athletes and send the message that kids who study hard are window dressing because what really excites us is going to State Championships in (name the sport).

btw I did not advocate ending recess or PE, so maybe you can brush up on your reading comprehension before you blast off next time.

This is complete bosh. When and where did I ever encourage kids to go into professional sports. When I read your second to the last reply, I decided you were crazy. You have just confirmed it.

My own orientation is extremely academic. I was in the National Honor Society and an award winning writer, not a member of any sports team and I do not encourage kids to aim for professional sports.

You've gone on a tear for nothing.

As for kids who know how to read and write making a great deal of money, well, that is far from true.

Try responding to what people post hear and not to the products of your imagination.

I am advocating for recess, music, art, journalism.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 11:41 am
plainoldme wrote:
real life wrote:

I've got a lot more empathy for kids than you exhibit.

I think kids should be guided in their aspirations to be doctors, engineers, inventors, writers, historians .........

........not NBA players, NFL players or MLB players.

Do the math.

How many slots are open in the country for major league sports players? Maybe a few thousand at best. They have careers that average 2-3 years in the sport and they are out.

How many opportunities are there for kids who can read, write, know their math, their history, achieve in science? Millions of opportunities.

You do a great disservice to kids if you are encouraging them to consider pro sports as a profession, POM.

Teach them to read. Spend school money on teaching something that will benefit them.

If they want to play sports, perform music or act then let them do it after school.

Try this with a kid: Ask him, 'Tell me about the University of Florida (or any big university) ' and see if the first thing 8 out of 10 (or more ) mention is the sports program.

We give students the wrong perspective on education, POM. The University is not there just to field a football and basketball team.

Why can't a kid's heroes be those who are bright, creative, and educated? Because we steer them the wrong way. 'School spirit' is all about supporting the Homecoming Game, not the Science Fair.

Teachers and admins kowtow to athletes and send the message that kids who study hard are window dressing because what really excites us is going to State Championships in (name the sport).

btw I did not advocate ending recess or PE, so maybe you can brush up on your reading comprehension before you blast off next time.

This is complete bosh. When and where did I ever encourage kids to go into professional sports.

Well , what is this all about?

plainoldme wrote:
Where do baseball/football/basketball players come from without school sports and fitness programs?

I am not too concerned 'where the football players' of the future will come from. Perhaps you are. But I don't see it as one of the critical missions of our schools to insure an adequate supply of trained entertainers for the NFL, NBA and MLB.

plainoldme wrote:
When I read your second to the last reply, I decided you were crazy. You have just confirmed it.

Oh, so you're an armchair shrink? Congrats.

plainoldme wrote:
My own orientation is extremely academic. I was in the National Honor Society and an award winning writer,

Congrats again for something substantial.

plainoldme wrote:
not a member of any sports team and I do not encourage kids to aim for professional sports.

You've gone on a tear for nothing.

As for kids who know how to read and write making a great deal of money, well, that is far from true.

I didn't mention making a great deal of money, so maybe you should follow the advice of one A2Ker when they said:

plainoldme wrote:

Try responding to what people post hear and not to the products of your imagination.

Well whaddaya know, that was you.

plainoldme wrote:
I am advocating for recess, music, art, journalism.

Advocate all you wish.

Be prepared for folks to disagree with you, and when they do, calling them crazy doesn't mean you have made a convincing case.

I have no problem with recess.

Journalism is more of a higher level subject that should probably be offered once kids can read and write well, although that doesn't seem to be a current requirement in the profession.

If a school is doing very well and consistently turns out the overwhelming majority of students who perform well in the basics: math, reading, writing, history, science......

......THEN I have no problem with them offering music, art, etc

That just doesn't happen very often.

Most of our schools are failing to adequately educate a sizable percentage of students in math, science, history, reading and writing. Would you agree with that?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:22 pm
Don't go away angry, just go away. You're completely unable to follow the thread.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:11 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Don't go away angry, just go away. You're completely unable to follow the thread.

Not going away at all. What gave you that idea?

And I'm not angry, I'm actually having quite a good time with this.

The thread is about improving education, specifically science education.

I have proposed several specific ideas to change things.

You seem to be simply defending the status quo.

The thread is on topic.

So to pick up where we left off:

real life wrote:
Most of our schools are failing to adequately educate a sizable percentage of students in math, science, history, reading and writing. Would you agree with that?

Or you simply an apologist for the sorry state of the government schools?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:00 am
rl wrote-

Quote:

It might be said with equally strenuous facility that all of our schools are failing to adequately educate all students in math, science, history, reading and writing and that that will always be the case and in all other subjects as well.

Or is it another example of the writer inventing an invidious comparison between himself and the lumpen proletariat.

"Most" is iffy.
"Failing" is iffy.
"Adequately" is iffy.
"Sizable" is iffy.
"Educate" is iffy.

All are used subjectively to emphasise rl's superiority.

Schools are not there to educate. Giving people the impression that they are leaves them with the impression that they can be "ecucated" at 18 (say) and thus no further effort is required.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:38 pm
real life wrote:

plainoldme wrote:
Where do baseball/football/basketball players come from without school sports and fitness programs?

I am not too concerned 'where the football players' of the future will come from. Perhaps you are. But I don't see it as one of the critical missions of our schools to insure an adequate supply of trained entertainers for the NFL, NBA and MLB.

Intellectuals were lionized at the high school I attended. The prom court was made up of members of the National Honor Society. If kids fail to look up to bright, creative people, maybe it is because they're parents are losers who have no respect for anyone and who ridicule achievers constantly.

The second group of quotes has a context, something you obviously fail to recognize. Reading comprehension poor, eh?

Finally, you can not say "most" of our schools. Did your school fail to teach you or did you fail to learn?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:39 pm
BTW -- real life, how ridiculous of you to suggest that I -- of all people -- am defending the status quo. Try to figure out what I am saying and have said for a life time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:19 pm
And so has everybody else. The Sunday Times has a weekly column about it.

And things get worse. It doesn't take long to start thinking that all the noise is a contributory factor. Maybe the decisive one. All the other problems may stem from too much blather.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:00 pm
plainoldme wrote:
real life wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

Intellectuals were lionized at the high school I attended. The prom court was made up of members of the National Honor Society.

Glad to hear it.

Are you under the impression that the school you attended typifies schools today?

We're talking about things as they are now, not as they used to be.

plainoldme wrote:
If kids fail to look up to bright, creative people, maybe it is because they're parents are losers who have no respect for anyone and who ridicule achievers constantly.

I would never tell a kid his parent is a 'loser' , no matter if that was my opinion of the parent or not.

To teach a kid disrespect for his parents does not bolster his respect for his teacher or anybody else.

As my parents used to say, 'You cannot pull yourself up by pulling others down.'

If your idea of motivating kids includes ridiculing parents as 'losers', I can only hope you're not a teacher.

plainoldme wrote:
The second group of quotes has a context, something you obviously fail to recognize. Reading comprehension poor, eh?

Yes I read the context and your question 'where will the ballplayers come from?' makes no sense if you are not referring to professional sports. But perhaps you intended it not to.

plainoldme wrote:
Finally, you can not say "most" of our schools. Did your school fail to teach you or did you fail to learn?

Neither. My parents taught me to read when I was 4. I always did well in school whether it was a good one or not. (I have attended both.) My success was a result of my hard work in school.

plainoldme wrote:
BTW -- real life, how ridiculous of you to suggest that I -- of all people -- am defending the status quo. Try to figure out what I am saying and have said for a life time.

Yes I am trying to figure out what you are saying, but you seem to contradict yourself.

On one hand , you seem to deny that most of the schools are failing to adequately educate a sizable percentage of students. Well, if you believe that most of the schools are doing a good job, then why do you claim you are not defending the status quo?

I can certainly say confidently MOST of our schools are failing to adequately educate a sizable percentage of students in math, science, history, reading and writing.

I say it because it is irrefutably true. To deny it is to close your eyes to the facts.

So, if you are not defending the status quo, what suggestions (besides the NEA favorite 'throw more money at it') are you contributing to the discussion?

(There is a quasi political movement in our area that places yard signs at election time that say 'Elect Candidates who will Fund our Public Schools'. There are no candidate or party names, labels or symbols on the signs. I have always wanted to make up a bunch of stickers and walk the neighborhood , pasting the word 'Fix' over the word 'Fund'.)

What specific[/u] recommendations do you have for improving science education, and also reading, writing, math and history?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:03 pm
Get you lot off the case and put some professionals in charge.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:05 pm
spendius wrote:

The professionals are in charge. It's a mess. Now what?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:32 pm
Well ros- when professional footballers get in a mess they get in some fresh ones in the hope, often disappointed I'll admit, of getting out of the mess.

Assuming it is a mess which I don't necessarily do. That's your idea. In pro football they know how to measure it. It's scientific.

You are the only Superpower left. How can that be a mess?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:17 pm
spendius wrote:
Well ros- when professional footballers get in a mess they get in some fresh ones in the hope, often disappointed I'll admit, of getting out of the mess.

Assuming it is a mess which I don't necessarily do. That's your idea. In pro football they know how to measure it. It's scientific.

You are the only Superpower left. How can that be a mess?

There is a 40 to 50 year lag between the education system and the people who control the system (all systems).

The momentum of the 50's and 60's makes us a superpower. The mess we have now in education could make us a super-powerful loose cannon in the not too distant future.

With great power comes great responsibility, and the need for wisdom, didn't you watch Spiderman? Sheesh.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 12:45 am
rosborne979 wrote:
spendius wrote:

Ros you do a good imitation of me on occasion.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:42 am
rosborne979 wrote:
The momentum of the 50's and 60's makes us a superpower. The mess we have now in education could make us a super-powerful loose cannon in the not too distant future.
Some would say the United States is already a loose cannon. In future there is going to be tremendous competition with China over resources, particularly oil. It will call for intelligent wise and very careful leadership if conflict is to be avoided. I'm not optimistic when I see the quality of current American leadership.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:28 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
spendius wrote:

Ros you do a good imitation of me on occasion.

That scares me. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:32 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Some would say the United States is already a loose cannon.

I know. And this is our first taste of a born again christian president who wants to "teach the controversy". Just think how much fun things are going to be when there are more of them.

The whole world should be worried about the US education system.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:58 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Some would say the United States is already a loose cannon.

I know. And this is our first taste of a born again christian president who wants to "teach the controversy". Just think how much fun things are going to be when there are more of them.

The whole world should be worried about the US education system.

The US education system has been in the tank LONG before the Bush presidency.

The federal government has a fairly limited influence over education, which is primarily a local and state function.

The places where schools produce the poorest results are mostly large cities where the mayor and school boards are predominantly liberal Democrat.

I know you can't resist bashing GWB as often as possible;.

Possibly you would want to contend that the Bush presidency 'predicted' the poor performance of public schools since it was already a long established fact before he showed up. Very Happy
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:01 am
real life wrote:
The places where schools produce the poorest results are mostly large cities where the mayor and school boards are predominantly liberal Democrat.

Those are also the poorest areas, and the most populated. It's probably more of a money problem than a "liberal" problem. But if you want to bash liberals, go ahead (I'm not a liberal, so I don't care. I'm a wishy washy moderate Smile

real life wrote:
Possibly you would want to contend that the Bush presidency 'predicted' the poor performance of public schools since it was already a long established fact before he showed up. Very Happy

No, but I could say that his presidency didnt' help the educational problems, and probably made things worse.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:03 am
http://i8.tinypic.com/2ey9wg4.jpg

Quote:
Kansas gives science a rare political win

By Wendy Wagner and Rena Steinzor

The election that captured headlines last month was Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman's defeat in Connecticut, but the race that interested us was in Kansas, where voters ousted two state school board incumbents, tipping the balance on the board back toward teaching evolution in the public schools. It was a rare victory for science in the realm of politics.

Sadly, the integrity of science doesn't count for as much as it should where politicians are involved -- and not just on state school boards. The Bush administration and its conservative allies in Congress and industry have routinely and systematically curbed scientists' independence by reshaping, rewriting and suppressing scientific analysis that is inconsistent with the heavily political agendas of special interests, from chemical and oil companies to the religious right.

A case in point is the Food and Drug Administration's recent but long-delayed approval of Plan B -- the ``morning-after pill'' -- for over-the-counter sales, in response to a petition several years ago from the drug's manufacturer.

The FDA's various professional and scientific arms, including the advisory panel in charge of reviewing the safety and efficacy of over-the-counter medications and reproductive drugs, recommended approval. Yet the FDA's political officials ignored the final, overwhelming vote by those scientists, instead rejecting the petition at the behest of religious fundamentalists.

Only under intense pressure did the political appointees finally get out of the way of the scientists and medical professionals and approve the petition.

Other examples of the administration's disrespect for science and the scientific community are legion. They include:

• Editing, by White House staff, of a scientific assessment of global warming in an Environmental Protection Agency report to Congress.

• Revising a National Cancer Institute Web site to suggest that women who have had abortions are more likely to have breast cancer (an assertion unsupported by science).

• Stacking government agencies' various scientific advisory committees with pro-industry scientists or with candidates with scant scientific experience but impeccable ideological credentials.

Meanwhile, some administration allies have taken to harassing scientists whose findings threaten industry profit.

One internationally recognized global-warming expert, Professor Michael Mann of the University of Virginia, had to spend hundreds of hours away from his research when Rep. Joe L. Barton, R-Texas, demanded detailed responses to a lengthy series of questions drawn from a critique of his research produced not by scientists but by an economist and a businessman. The National Academy of Sciences and others protested Barton's demand, but the expert, whose work had been replicated and peer-reviewed, still had to submit to Barton's congressional subpoena.

With the powers-that-be showing such disrespect for science, Kansas-style victories for science over ideology are all the more important. But cleaning up the damage done to science over the past few years requires more than sending a few school board members packing. The problem goes beyond the White House, the executive agencies and Congress; in the courts, scientific research and analysis are increasingly subject to interference and ideological assault.

Fixing the problem requires, first and foremost, a new commitment from all players to quit treating uncertainties in scientific research as justification for inaction on public health, environmental protection, worker safety and the approval of new drugs. Science informs policy decisions, and research must be as good and complete as possible. But decision-makers should take responsibility for what they do or fail to do, and stop hiding behind claims that ``the science isn't there yet'' to defer action.

Specific reforms are in order, too. They include the insulation of research from inappropriate pressure from interested parties, including political appointees and industry; legal reforms to protect scientists from baseless litigation aimed at punishing them for their findings; increased funding for research so that important but under-researched issues (such as the effects of pesticides) are explored even if industry would rather they not be; and insistence by regulatory agencies that scientists submitting research for rule-making procedures disclose any conflicts of interest -- paychecks from the regulated industry, for example.

Many of the immediate risks from politicizing science are clear: chief among them, harm to public health and the environment because of the failure to adopt needed safeguards against a variety of hazards. But the long-term threat is that by treating scientific findings as if they were just another piece of political rhetoric -- something to be attacked, suppressed and abused rather than respected -- we devalue the importance of scientific exploration. Kansas voters sent an important message in that regard this summer. Let's hope others follow suit. is a law professor at the University of Maryland. They are the editors of ``Rescuing Science from Politics.'' They wrote this article for the Baltimore Sun.

Text from The Mercury News, cartoon from today's Albuquerque Tribune (page 13)
0 Replies