What can we do to help improve science education in the US?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:29 pm
spendius -- Sorry, but your writing is opaque.

Also, financially rewarding teachers will increase the sort of abuse that already occurs in schools. the kind that stems from administrators favoring teachers whose personalities -- and not their knowledge, intellect or devotion -- mesh with the administrators own.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:33 pm
Also, theatre, sports, music and art are not redundant nor are they unnecessary. A truly educated person knows something beyond those 3Rs that all too many critics -- boorish and uneducated themselves -- demand a return to.

Exercise actually stimulates the brain and increases the ability to learn.

Art, music and theatre present different ways of thinking.

Older students, beginning at ages 12 or 13, have an urge to join. It is better for a school to have sports, even Frisbee; band, choir, theatre than for the kids to join street gangs or sit around someone's home smoking pot.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 05:48 pm
Oh- I don't know about that POM.

Joining street gangs and sitting around smoking pot or boozing is not all negative. It's quite popular actually. What you can learn from sports, bands, choirs and theatre might be a function of who is in charge of the lessons. You won't learn what Shakespeare had in mind off a feminist for example.

I saw a good band tonight on the BBC's Prom concert. Mahler's Resurrection Symphony actually. Most of the bands you are talking about are of the "won't you let me f**k you sweet darling babe" type.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:07 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Also, theatre, sports, music and art are not redundant nor are they unnecessary. A truly educated person knows something beyond those 3Rs that all too many critics -- boorish and uneducated themselves -- demand a return to.

Exercise actually stimulates the brain and increases the ability to learn.

Art, music and theatre present different ways of thinking.

Older students, beginning at ages 12 or 13, have an urge to join. It is better for a school to have sports, even Frisbee; band, choir, theatre than for the kids to join street gangs or sit around someone's home smoking pot.

Given the choice, I'd rather have schools that produce students that can read and comprehend, score well in algebra and know their history, rather than play ball and play the lead in Bye Bye Birdie.

If a school isn't producing the basics well, the fluff has to go. Let parents who see the value ( we paid for our kids music and sports out of our own pockets, and did it on our time not school time ) do it on their own dime.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:58 pm
...and if playing ball help you to understand parabolic geometry, and a good performance of Bye Bye Birdie requires good comprehension skills...?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 08:43 am
spendius wrote:
What you can learn from sports, bands, choirs and theatre might be a function of who is in charge of the lessons. You won't learn what Shakespeare had in mind off a feminist for example.

Most of the bands you are talking about are of the "won't you let me f**k you sweet darling babe" type.

Wow! You want to generate a negative impression of yourself!

There is a tiny amount of redemption in the first of your sentences that I've pulled out: the use of the word might. However, the next comment is beneath contempt.

As for the third sentence, well, it's pretty obvious that you don't know what I am talking about. Some remedial studies are needed on your part.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 08:56 am
real life wrote:

Given the choice, I'd rather have schools that produce students that can read and comprehend, score well in algebra and know their history, rather than play ball and play the lead in Bye Bye Birdie.

If a school isn't producing the basics well, the fluff has to go. Let parents who see the value ( we paid for our kids music and sports out of our own pockets, and did it on our time not school time ) do it on their own dime.

Whoppee! You paid for your kids to do music and sports. Well, have some empathy, sport, because there are kids who come to school insufficiently fed because their parents are doing all they can do to keep a roof over their heads and the money doesn't extend beyond a small bowl of cereal for breakfast.

Have some understanding, if you can, that one mode of learning compliments and strengthens another. Those same parents who scream fluff about gym class and/or recess are the people who spend every weekend glued to telecast sports. Where do baseball/football/basketball players come from without school sports and fitness programs? Furthermore, physical exercise actually improves academic performance. When I subbed at the elementary school level, I had a very bright fifth grade class whose day began with two consecutive periods (periods are 45 minutes long at that level in that school) of writing. It is difficult for adults to write for 90 minutes, let alone ten year olds! I could see how exhausted these kids were and declared recess. That teacher, like many in that school, had a laundry basket filled with soccer balls, whiffle bats and balls, and jump ropes. The kids went out for 20 minutes, ran, played and climbed. They came back to their work with renewed energy.

Frankly, many of the contributors to these threads exhibit no ability to ascertain whether a school is doing well in the basics. Far too many contributors are guilty of poor logic, word usage and sentence construction.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 08:56 am
Eorl -- Good points!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:32 am
POM wrote-

Quote:
Wow! You want to generate a negative impression of yourself!

Sure do pom. You should try it if you're good enough. One doesn't wish to start off grovelling. Have you not seen where they always end up?

Why is-

Quote:
You won't learn what Shakespeare had in mind off a feminist for example.

"beneath contempt"? It's been happening for years. Not just Shakespeare.

I'll say it again-

You won't learn what Shakespeare had in mind off a feminist. And you won't. To just casually state that such a comment is "beneath contempt" when you haven't even read Ted Hughes's Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being is objectively beneath contempt. Feminists now run the examination set books and you should see the differences. Rider Haggard is never set. Dylan's out for goodness sake. Kingsley Amis. Philip Larkin's meat.

It's great though. Everybody passes their exams. Effortlessly.

What remedial studies have you in mind for me to take up. You want to try avoiding having two assertions in one sentence. I'd remedy that mate before I started making suggestions for others.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:42 am
Eorl wrote:
...and if playing ball help you to understand parabolic geometry, and a good performance of Bye Bye Birdie requires good comprehension skills...?

It would be nice if that actually worked. Unfortunately, most teachers are either incapable or unwilling to use those sort of activities as learning experiences.

The ball example could also be explained in the geometry class in a matter of minutes vs. hundreds of hours on a field to learn the same thing (when they could be learning something else!).
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:55 am
spendius wrote:
POM wrote-

Why is-

Quote:
You won't learn what Shakespeare had in mind off a feminist for example.

"beneath contempt"? It's been happening for years. Not just Shakespeare.

I'll say it again-

You won't learn what Shakespeare had in mind off a feminist. And you won't. To just casually state that such a comment is "beneath contempt" when you haven't even read Ted Hughes's Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being is objectively beneath contempt. Feminists now run the examination set books and you should see the differences. Rider Haggard is never set. Dylan's out for goodness sake. Kingsley Amis. Philip Larkin's meat.

It's great though. Everybody passes their exams. Effortlessly.

What remedial studies have you in mind for me to take up. You want to try avoiding having two assertions in one sentence. I'd remedy that mate before I started making suggestions for others.

What are you talking about? Do you even know? Feminists are running the examination set books? What does that mean? Who or what are feminists in your mind? Who's passing what exams? The British and the American school systems are very different. American conservatives have demanded standardized testing for the past several years, and, initially, those tests were largely composed by recent college graduates who were yet to begin their careers. they worked as temps, composing questions by thumbing through the indices of books, grabbing names that were vaguely familiar.

Rider Haggard is the standard by which you would judge literature? He has always been considered a junk writer!

Do you mean Dylan Thomas or Bob Dylan? Haven't seen either of them being ignored.

Kingsley Amis may be in eclipse as a sort of period writer. Almost all writers wax and wane in popularity and esteem.

Philip Larkin was never part of the American literary pantheon. While I was in grad school for English and American lit many years ago (1969-74), Larkin wasn't a blip on the radar even then.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:57 am
fishin wrote:

The ball example could also be explained in the geometry class in a matter of minutes vs. hundreds of hours on a field to learn the same thing (when they could be learning something else!).

Of course, the kids who played ball would return to the classroom with improved hand-eye co-ordination. There are lots of schools systems paying physical therapists to help kids with their co-ordination and large motor skills.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 11:09 am
plainoldme wrote:
fishin wrote:

Of course, the kids who played ball would return to the classroom with improved hand-eye co-ordination. There are lots of schools systems paying physical therapists to help kids with their co-ordination and large motor skills.

Yeah, except the kids that play ball usually aren't the one's that need the improved eye/hand coordination. The one's that play usually do so because they are fairly good at it where the one's that need the improvement either don't make the teams or or they know they suck at it and don't even try.

We're not talking about PE classes or classes designed for someone with impaired motor skills here. We're talking about the standard extra-ciricular sports teams that most every middle/high school fields.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:08 pm
fishin -- You're right about the kids who play ball not being the ones with co-ordination problems. However, the fact that many kids do have co-ordination problems is a reason why kids need PE.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 02:29 pm
POM wrote-

Quote:
Rider Haggard is the standard by which you would judge literature? He has always been considered a junk writer!

Now there's a real silly for you. And you make my point. He has been taken out of the agenda precisely with statements like that which are intended for the simple minded which is what you must think we all are to take any notice of such real junk.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:31 pm
plainoldme wrote:
real life wrote:

Whoppee! You paid for your kids to do music and sports. Well, have some empathy, sport, because there are kids who come to school insufficiently fed because their parents are doing all they can do to keep a roof over their heads and the money doesn't extend beyond a small bowl of cereal for breakfast.

Have some understanding, if you can, that one mode of learning compliments and strengthens another. Those same parents who scream fluff about gym class and/or recess are the people who spend every weekend glued to telecast sports. Where do baseball/football/basketball players come from without school sports and fitness programs? Furthermore, physical exercise actually improves academic performance. When I subbed at the elementary school level, I had a very bright fifth grade class whose day began with two consecutive periods (periods are 45 minutes long at that level in that school) of writing. It is difficult for adults to write for 90 minutes, let alone ten year olds! I could see how exhausted these kids were and declared recess. That teacher, like many in that school, had a laundry basket filled with soccer balls, whiffle bats and balls, and jump ropes. The kids went out for 20 minutes, ran, played and climbed. They came back to their work with renewed energy.

Frankly, many of the contributors to these threads exhibit no ability to ascertain whether a school is doing well in the basics. Far too many contributors are guilty of poor logic, word usage and sentence construction.

I've got a lot more empathy for kids than you exhibit.

I think kids should be guided in their aspirations to be doctors, engineers, inventors, writers, historians .........

........not NBA players, NFL players or MLB players.

Do the math.

How many slots are open in the country for major league sports players? Maybe a few thousand at best. They have careers that average 2-3 years in the sport and they are out.

How many opportunities are there for kids who can read, write, know their math, their history, achieve in science? Millions of opportunities.

You do a great disservice to kids if you are encouraging them to consider pro sports as a profession, POM.

Teach them to read. Spend school money on teaching something that will benefit them.

If they want to play sports, perform music or act then let them do it after school.

Try this with a kid: Ask him, 'Tell me about the University of Florida (or any big university) ' and see if the first thing 8 out of 10 (or more ) mention is the sports program.

We give students the wrong perspective on education, POM. The University is not there just to field a football and basketball team.

Why can't a kid's heroes be those who are bright, creative, and educated? Because we steer them the wrong way. 'School spirit' is all about supporting the Homecoming Game, not the Science Fair.

Teachers and admins kowtow to athletes and send the message that kids who study hard are window dressing because what really excites us is going to State Championships in (name the sport).

btw I did not advocate ending recess or PE, so maybe you can brush up on your reading comprehension before you blast off next time.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:01 pm
The Microsoft Education System

Lots of glitz. A few interesting ideas.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:15 pm
Love glitz.

And it doesn't take long for a few to become a lot these days.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:58 pm
Hope the ones that were chosen by lottery can read after spending the past 8 years in government schools. Chances are pretty good that many of them cannot read at the high school level.

But the internet has lots of cool pictures.

POM, what should they call their football team? How 'bout the West Philly Motherboards?

Rah rah ree. Kick 'em in the keys.

Rah rah rouse. Kick 'em in the mouse.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 11:14 am
spendius wrote:
POM wrote-

Quote:

Now there's a real silly for you. And you make my point. He has been taken out of the agenda precisely with statements like that which are intended for the simple minded which is what you must think we all are to take any notice of such real junk.

You're obviously not up to the task of commenting.
0 Replies