3

how do I prepare swiss chard?

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:01 pm
I bought some swiss chard because ???? maybe it called out to me, I don't know, but now I have it and I think I'll try to make it to go with dinner (lamb chops). I also have some white turnips and a ham hock. I'm probably thinking of southern greens but I've never used swiss chard in anything. Any ideas?
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,233 • Replies: 11

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 05:49 pm
I use it all the time, it works with a lot of dishes similarly to spinach. I put it in soups, I put it with pasta, I've put it in ossobuco. The one thing I haven't done is just saute'd it and served it by itself. Sure, treat it like southern greens....
I've been known to saute it in a bit of olive oil and garlic and add a little chili pepper.. before I add it to pasta, or rice..

fishin

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 05:54 pm
I used to grow swiss chard in the garden all and always just used it in place of spinach. The simplest is probbably just to blanch it and serve it as a side veggie (little chunks of bacon and/or pearl onions work well with it).

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:02 pm
I've put little bits of prosciutto with it, though I didn't mention that, and you are thinking ham hock and fishin' mentioned bacon... great minds think alike!

Mr Stillwater

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:22 pm
Take out the thick white stalky bits, roughly chop it and steam it (micro-wave is OK).

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:36 pm
Or the gold stems, or the red stems... there are a bunch of different chard varieties. Sometimes I separate the stems, and cook them first, then add the torn up leaves. If it's soup, I don't care about that.

As to texture, it's a little off for us to say just-like-spinach (I know I intimated that) since spinach breaks down faster. In my own mind, I have it breaking down, re timing, between spinach and kale...

JPB

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:12 pm
It was delicious!!!

I chopped up some bacon and rendered out the fat, threw in a chopped clove of garlic for a minute, added the blanched swiss chard and diced white turnips, a few grates of nutmeg and half a can of chicken broth, let it simmer for about 10 minutes and added a can of rinsed cannellini beans and simmered for another 10 minutes. The beans were overkill but I knew the girls would skip the lamb chops and I wanted them to have a protein.

To go with the greens 'n beans and lamb I also made some oven roasted yukon gold potato wedges tossed with olive oil, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.

DH gave the whole meal a rousing YUM, the girls said they liked the potatoes and the entire thing took less than an hour. Success!

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:16 pm
All right....

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:16 pm
All right....

Mr Stillwater

1  
Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:00 am
Your children ate GREEN FOOD!!!! Call the Guinness Book of Records and Nature magazine - this must be a first!!

msolga

1  
Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:20 am
And it's the easiest plant to grow in your garden, J_B! It last for ages & seems to almost thrive on neglect! I grow the "rainbow chard" variety - pink, purplish & golden stems - & plant them in my flower beds amongst the flowers & shrubs. Very pretty! Very Happy Then, any time I need a "green" boost in a soup, casserole, whatever, I pick some leaves & throw 'em in. The very young, tender ones can be eaten raw in salads. The way I usually prepare chard (silverbeet) is to add shredded leaves to olive oil, garlic & dried chili. A chick saute & Yum! Nice on steamed rice, too, when you crave a bit of simplicity.

Kailash

0  
Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 11:29 pm
@JPB,
Lemon-Garlic Swiss Chard is one of my favorite dish, its recipe i am describing below:
Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil $
1 tablespoon minced garlic
12 cups Swiss chard, chopped (about 10 ounces) $$
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice $
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons shaved fresh Parmesan cheese $
Preparation

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown. Add Swiss chard and 2 tablespoons water to pan; cook 3 minutes or until chard wilts. Stir in lemon juice and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.
VARIATION 1 Quick Caramelized Onions: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil; swirl to coat. Add 2 cups sliced yellow onion and a dash of baking soda; cook 10 minutes or until browned. Add 12 cups chopped Swiss chard and 2 tablespoons water to pan; cook 3 minutes or until chard wilts. Stir in 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1/2 cup) CALORIES 64; FAT 1.4g (sat 0.2g); SODIUM 253mg
VARIATION 2 Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons pine nuts to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Remove nuts from pan. Add 1/4 cup golden raisins and 1/4 cup water to pan; cook 1 minute. Add 12 cups chopped Swiss chard; cook 3 minutes or until chard wilts. Stir in 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1/2 cup) CALORIES 90; FAT 4.6g (sat 0.4g); SODIUM 231mg
VARIATION 3 Warm Bacon Vinaigrette: Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon to pan; cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Remove pan from heat. Add 2 teaspoons cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to pan, stirring with a whisk. Pour vinegar mixture over 6 cups chopped Swiss chard; toss. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1/2 cup) CALORIES 39; FAT 2.4g (sat 0.9g); SODIUM 225mg