how do I prepare swiss chard?

JPB

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:01 pm
I bought some swiss chard because ???? maybe it called out to me, I don't know, but now I have it and I think I'll try to make it to go with dinner (lamb chops). I also have some white turnips and a ham hock. I'm probably thinking of southern greens but I've never used swiss chard in anything. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,363 • Replies: 10
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 05:49 pm
I use it all the time, it works with a lot of dishes similarly to spinach. I put it in soups, I put it with pasta, I've put it in ossobuco. The one thing I haven't done is just saute'd it and served it by itself. Sure, treat it like southern greens....
I've been known to saute it in a bit of olive oil and garlic and add a little chili pepper.. before I add it to pasta, or rice..
0 Replies

fishin

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 05:54 pm
I used to grow swiss chard in the garden all and always just used it in place of spinach. The simplest is probbably just to blanch it and serve it as a side veggie (little chunks of bacon and/or pearl onions work well with it).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:02 pm
I've put little bits of prosciutto with it, though I didn't mention that, and you are thinking ham hock and fishin' mentioned bacon... great minds think alike!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:22 pm
Take out the thick white stalky bits, roughly chop it and steam it (micro-wave is OK).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:36 pm
Or the gold stems, or the red stems... there are a bunch of different chard varieties. Sometimes I separate the stems, and cook them first, then add the torn up leaves. If it's soup, I don't care about that.

As to texture, it's a little off for us to say just-like-spinach (I know I intimated that) since spinach breaks down faster. In my own mind, I have it breaking down, re timing, between spinach and kale...
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:12 pm
It was delicious!!!

I chopped up some bacon and rendered out the fat, threw in a chopped clove of garlic for a minute, added the blanched swiss chard and diced white turnips, a few grates of nutmeg and half a can of chicken broth, let it simmer for about 10 minutes and added a can of rinsed cannellini beans and simmered for another 10 minutes. The beans were overkill but I knew the girls would skip the lamb chops and I wanted them to have a protein.

To go with the greens 'n beans and lamb I also made some oven roasted yukon gold potato wedges tossed with olive oil, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.

DH gave the whole meal a rousing YUM, the girls said they liked the potatoes and the entire thing took less than an hour. Success!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:16 pm
All right....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:16 pm
All right....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:00 am
Your children ate GREEN FOOD!!!! Call the Guinness Book of Records and Nature magazine - this must be a first!!
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:20 am
And it's the easiest plant to grow in your garden, J_B! It last for ages & seems to almost thrive on neglect! I grow the "rainbow chard" variety - pink, purplish & golden stems - & plant them in my flower beds amongst the flowers & shrubs. Very pretty! Very Happy Then, any time I need a "green" boost in a soup, casserole, whatever, I pick some leaves & throw 'em in. The very young, tender ones can be eaten raw in salads. The way I usually prepare chard (silverbeet) is to add shredded leaves to olive oil, garlic & dried chili. A chick saute & Yum! Nice on steamed rice, too, when you crave a bit of simplicity.
0 Replies