New River on the other hand was not a force of nature

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 01:51 am
I wonder whether the expression "New River on the other hand was not a force of nature" is grammatical.

The meaning of it is clear, which refers to " New River Incidence on the other hand was not a result of the force of nature."

Context:

Trump and his termites are doing immeasurable harm to America and the sad part is that most people will never realize what is happening. Trump has proudly bragged that he will do away with two regulations for every new regulation. The Republicans have made regulation a bad word with no consideration whether a regulation serves a purpose. In the last century a regulation put in place forbade child labor up until it was passed child labor was the norm. I saw a picture of the workers at a mine and none of the employee looked to be more than twelve. We take a lot for granted we think the world has always been the way we found it. Certain incidences are expunged from the history that we are taught. I lived in West Virginia and was taught West Virginia history but there were two big events that were expunged one was the New River Disaster and word disaster usually describes a flood or tornado something far beyond the control of man. New River on the other hand was not a force of nature but an intentional act of men. Buying respirators for several hundred men would have been expensive but management when inspecting the tunnel was provided respirators. This wasn’t done out of ignorance since the time of the Romans it was known what exposure silica did to men. The fact that 600 workers a year are still dying of silicosis is criminal. For Trump to do away with regulations meant to stop people from dying at work is criminal.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 615 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:12 am
New River, on the other hand, was not a force of nature but an intentional act of men.

or

On the other hand, New River was not a force of nature but an intentional act of men.

layman

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:36 am
@PUNKEY,
Naw, that aint it. It's not "on the other hand." It's more like: "Notwithstanding the fact that it has been misleadingly called a "disaster," it was not.....

Of course, that said, the consequences resulting from many "intentional acts of men" have been properly referred to as "disasters."

Quote:
dis·as·ter, noun

an event or fact that has unfortunate consequences.

"a string of personal disasters"

synonyms: misfortune, mishap, misadventure, mischance, setback, reversal, stroke of bad luck, blow
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 09:18 am
Ori just asked if that idiom was used correctly, in a grammatic sense.

There will be other questions, I'm sure. .
layman

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 09:38 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Ori just asked if that idiom was used correctly, in a grammatic sense.

There will be other questions, I'm sure. .

Yeah, I was under the mistaken impression that you had altered the original to include "on the other hand," but I see now that that's the way it read in the original. My bad.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:01 am
The writer of the original piece has misused the expression "force of nature", which means "a person with an unusually strong personality". I suspect they meant "act of nature'.
0 Replies