Are we soft on our kids

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:42 am
Are we softer on our kids than our parents were on us? This question comes up cause of a recent thing that schoold did here. They closed schools just cause it was cold outside. Not cause it was snowing but cause it was cold. They did shut down when it snowed and that is understandable but cold? I remember kids standing out in the rain. Another thing i heard in the news was that they were saying back packs are to heavy for our kids to carry. Are they serious? My back pack due to the fact that my books had to be inlarged. They weighed a ton and I still had to carry those puppies. Lol then the other day wile at the movies this mother with child at toe spilled some of her popcorn wile walking with him. He picked up a piece and decided to put it in his mouth. That lady lost her mind. She grabbed him up and rushed him to the bathroom. My god the things my lil brother put in his mouth as a child would of made that lady's head spin. But ya know we never got sick and I notice that now kids get sick all the time. Oh and why do strolers need shocks? I saw this the other day, this lady was pushing her baby in a stroler it had shocks front and back. Omg when i was a kid they had a seat with metal and cardboard lol. Ok I sound old now but do you think we baby our kids to much these days and does the way we handle them have anything to do with the fact that their amune systom may be weaker? Oh one more, cell phones. There is a lil girl 7 years old, lives down the road from me. She has a cell phone and her mom calls her on it to com in even if she is playing in the front yard. As a kid it didn't matter where I was I better be able to hear my mom by her calling me one time. This kid lets the phone ring lol and will call her back at her earlyiest availability. So what do you guys think? I think the worlds gone mad myself. But that's my opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,007 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:52 am
Don't you know the three most overused words in this current politically correct society in which we live?

For-The-Children
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:06 pm
We have tried not to be too soft on our kids. We make them do things they don't like to do, push them, make them learn for themselves. We always minimized their creature comforts as much for our own convenience as to not spoil them. They're still spoiled though, it's hard not to in today's world of consumerism.

At the same time I see these other parents who have purchased every possible gizmo/toy/etc. for their kids and it's just stupid. You know the ones, they have the double wide stroller with the built in coffee/hot chocolate warmer, wondering why you don't get out of their way. The ones who get on planes with more baby **** than they really need for a month, and expect you to give up space in the overhead bins for them.

These people can KMA.

You want to do something "for the children"? Teach them something cool. You know how they all love violent video games? It actually translates quite well when you stick bow&arrow in their hands and take 'em out in the woods. Teach them how to cook so the aren't dependent upon you for food all the time, and eating junk when youre not around. Be a parent, not a friend.

Just my 2-cents.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:07 pm
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I have to say that I don't remember having to carry a backpack that weighed about 50 pounds. I've seen some poor kids carrying packs as big as they are.

I am totally against cell phones and credit cards for those under 18.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
I agree with you on the credit cards, FreeDuck, but cell phones make life a whole lot easier for parents once the kids start driving.

Let's see...note to self...do not call Devious_Britches or cjhsa for babysitting.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:48 pm
That's funny eva, because my wife was an at-home daycare provider for a number of years. I love kids, and mine have never wanted for anything, except stuff they don't really need.

And yes my 15-year old daughter has a cell phone. It's a tool, and a bit of a leash. I think it makes her safer too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
And BTW, that same young lady had a root canal yesterday after a filling went bad and it decayed underneath. So, yes, I've been being soft on her. She's my little girl, after all, and I can feel her pain.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:54 pm
Lol actually I'm a Great babysitter if I do say so myself lol. I've cared for over 46 lil kids, at one point I had 7 kids under 4 in one house and homeless teen mothers more than I care to count of them and they all survived lol. I just am oldfaisoned in the fact that I don't believe in giving a kid a tv and letting them sit there all day. It's fine for an hour but after that It's time for activities to make their minds work and stronger. And as for kids putting stuff in their moth lol my lil girl is blind and omg lol the things that kid does and you know what i let her to a level cause that is how she learns. What do I mean? umm like sand she wanteed to feel of it and she put it in her mouth. Teacher lost it I said let her be she's fine and ya know what she never did that again lol. She said eww yucky and I agreed and that was that. Now if it was some thing dangerous no I wouldn't let her do it but some thing like picking up pop corn is not some thing I'm gonna fall aport over. I have learned to choose my battles wisely when it comes to kids and enjoy them wile they are little cause they get bigger and when they get to the I know it all age aack the fun really starts then. I think the terrible two's have nothing on the teen years. But if you do good in the beginning even those years aren't so bad.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
Yes.

If I ever spoke to my parents the way I hear kids speaking to their parents, I would have gotten slapped in the mouth. And child services wasn't on their asses to haul them off for child abuse.

Kids have too much stuff. They have too little supervision. Too many friends...not enough parent.

I am not a parent yet so I can't speak for how hard it is to raise a child but I can assure you, I will raise my kids the way my parents raised me. With self-dignity and respect for others.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
Then they'll be just fine, Kristie. And as for the rest of you...I didn't think you were as mean as you came across at first. Glad to hear it!

I'm strict with my son, but we're also very affectionate and loving. He has a lot of things, but he is also involved in a lot of activities and is a high achiever. We have a close relationship, and I think that's what makes all the difference. The parents who park their kids in front of the TV or computer or PlayStation for hours every day are the ones who have something to worry about.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
well mine can't park them self in front of the comp lol cause I'm there hehe just kidding but I agree. and to the person with the avator that is pounding their head on the desk lol you are way ahead of the gang cause that is exactly what you will find yourself doing some times wile raising kids.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
My parents never banged their heads...it only took one hit to the wall to knock them clean out. Shocked :wink:
0 Replies