Wall Boards

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:03 am
Ok, so I'm going to be putting up wallpaper in the kitchen. I'm doing a 2 tone thing with a plain color wallpaper on the bottom and a print at the top. My plan is to put a wall board (don't know the real name of it) about 3 or so inches wide going all the way around the room to separate the 2 different wallpapers. I hope this makes sense. My question is, what do I use to apply the boards? Do I use a nail gun? Can I just use little nails and a hammer? I don't have a nail gun, so I'm hoping I can do this without one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,474 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:13 am
I would predrill, and fasten them with oval headed screws, if I were doing it. Spacing of the screws are critical if you want it to look good.

I don't know what they're called either, though I've made some, intended to keep chair backs from scuffing the wall.

If you have a router and a bevel router bit with a pilot bearing on the bottom, use it on the boards. They'll look much better than plain boards.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:20 am
I'm going to get some of those fancy pre-cut boards, but wouldn't your way make the screws noticable?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:23 am
Sure. It's almost impossible to make the fasteners invisible, so make them pretty. Chrome or brass oval head screws can look pretty good. Better than any darn nails, too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:29 am
I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing. Let me see if I can't find a photo.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:40 am
I can't find a pic, but it's like a fancy base board, only it's on the middle of the wall.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:45 am
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Same as our chair bumpers, but maybe a bit higher. Before you discard the idea, go to a hardware store and make sure you know what an oval head screw looks like.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:12 am
Ok, but I finally found a link to what I'm taking about and they're called chair rails.

http://elitemouldings.com/chair_rails.htm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:32 am
I figured I could use little nails like those in a nail gun, then use wood filler to fill in the little nail marks and then just paint them. I know a nail gun would be nice, but maybe my unkle has one.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 04:50 am
Get an electronic stud finder ($14.99).
Marking Pencil
Torpedo Level ($4.99)
A pack of 1 1/2 inch finishing nails. (.99)
A couple of 1/16 inch drill bits. ($1.49)
A 1/32 inch nail set. ($2.49)
One or two tubes of Liquid Nails or some other construction glue. ($2.99 per tube)
Caulk gun ($2.99)
Wood putty. ($2.00)

First cut all the pieces of chair rail so that they fit. You will need a miter box to make the corner cuts.

then:

Find and mark the centers of each stud in the wall. In the US they are 16 inches apart, those are the red numbers on your Stanley tape.
Then have someone hold the chair rail on the wall just above the marks, while you mark the chair rail for the nail holes. Make sure the rail is level. You don't have to mark them all, get two or three real good ones, then use the 16 inch spacing on your tape to mark out the rest of the rail while it's on a bench or a table.

Drill 1/16 pilot holes through the marks on the chair rail.

Make nice curvy snaky lines of Liquid Nails on the back of the chair rail.
(Don't over do the glue.)
Use your level to make sure the rail is straight and drive the 1 1/2 nails through the holes into the studs until about 1/16 is still sticking out. Wipe up any excess glue. (I told you not to overdo the glue.)

Use the nail set to drive the nail heads in to just below the surface of the rail. Fill with as little wood putty as it takes to do the job.

Joe (We want to see the before and after pictures.) Nation
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:28 pm
Yea, what Joe said.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:39 pm
Oh cool. Thanks for the step by step, Joe :-D I already have the stud finder, level, drill, drill bit, measuring tape and marking pencil, so it looks like I only need the chair rail, miter box, nail set, liquid nails or construction glue, chalk gun and wood putty.

This is a job I'll be doing next winter, but before and after pictures will be seen by all.

You're a sweetheart, Joe. Thanks for taking the time in helping me get one of my home improvement plans together :-D

I'm giving my whole house a face lift one room at a time and it's going to take me a few years to finish, but things are going great so far.

So far I've painted and wallpapered the livingroom, painted the kitchen and computer room, but since I love wallpaper, I'll be doing the kitchen over next year. I've also replaced 2 doorbells that didn't work and an outside light. I'll be adding new light fixtures to every room as I go along and tile back splashes in the bathrooms. My mom can't believe the amount of money we're saving by me doing the work myself. I guess watching those home improvement shows have paid off :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:16 am
I finally made my way to the kitchen and am only days away from putting up the chair rail, so I'm bumping this thread to find it easier when I need instructions.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:00 pm
So finally, here's the finished product. I'll add more pics after I finish clearing all my tools and mess out of the kitchen :-D

Whataya think?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/gezzygirl/MVC-001F-1.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:01 pm
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/gezzygirl/MVC-002F-1.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:04 pm
I wanted to thank you all for your help in making my chair rail perfect. It came out better than I thought and I'm very happy with it.

Just wanted to let you guys know I think you're awesome :-D

Now for my next project <sigh> Laughing
0 Replies