Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 12:56 pm
Vivaldi ha deto due o tre cose sulle tempeste di mare...

0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:15 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I’ll readily acknowledge that saying shockingly non-empathetic things might be a rebellious reaction to oppressive emotional social pressure. I’m sure you also will acknowledge that it could just as easily be simply an expression of how that person actually thinks and feels.

No one can be inside someone else's mind/consciousness.
livinglava

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:18 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Cummings was a witch hunting thug and the world is a better place without him. The reason why I said it is because it's true.

The problem with the gun control freak show is in fact the issues that they are focused on. They want to violate our civil liberties for fun. That would be unacceptable even if they were using some other tactic besides hysteria over their precious victims.

I'm not trying to be shocking really. I'm just telling them to shove their precious victims up their rear end.

When someone dies, they move on to whatever hereafter lies in store for them. We don't judge them and we should pray for them in any case. We are all caught up in culture in various ways and we are all sinners, witch-hunters, etc. in various ways. We can only hope to be judged as we judge others . . . when our time comes.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:36 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

snood wrote:

I’ll readily acknowledge that saying shockingly non-empathetic things might be a rebellious reaction to oppressive emotional social pressure. I’m sure you also will acknowledge that it could just as easily be simply an expression of how that person actually thinks and feels.

You put forth one explanation; I offered another. That’s all that transpired. No one said they know what’s in someone’s mind.
livinglava

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:45 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

livinglava wrote:

snood wrote:

You put forth one explanation; I offered another. That’s all that transpired. No one said they know what’s in someone’s mind.

Your explanation is the obvious one that doesn't require any special psychoanalytical reflection. Mine requires that you go within your own experience and look for instances where you felt pressured to empathize with some victim and as an act of rebellion you said something offensive or even shocking to assert independence from the person pressuring you to empathize.

The phrase, "I don't care," and "leave me alone," are so common because people don't want to pushed into empathy and/or compliance for things they often should be compelled to empathize and/or comply with.

It's possible to empathize with the feeling of rebellion even when you know intellectually that the rebellion is unreasonable. Emotions and reason are separate in many ways, so it is possible for our reasonable mind to recognize that ours or someone else's emotional reactions are unreasonable, yet still empathize with them as something we've experienced ourselves as well.
snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:45 pm
@livinglava,
Your explanation requires one to think past the obvious, which is fine. But in my opinion the behavior of the individual in question is best described by the Occam’s razor explanation - his words simply express what he thinks and feels. In this case as in other cases when I am confronted with someone who speaks in racist or homophobic or misogynistic or just generally hateful tropes, I rely on the advice of Maya Angelou: “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

It’s okay with me if we view this individual differently. You going to be able to leave it at that, or has this not yet been vivisected completely enough to suit you?
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Weve been jacking up subsidence problems all over the world using slant drilling and horizontal drilling techniques and backflushing "Proppants" ( medium quartz sand slurries and clay and sand slurries) FOR YEARS. I guess Venice's problems are more political than technical
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 07:29 pm
So here we are in a thread about global warming. And for some reason, you boys have turned it into a criticism of a poster concerning his postings in another thread that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed here. Analyze that, boys!
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 07:55 pm
@Glennn,
whatya tlking about. I addressed Walter an Olivier;s concern nd information re the Flooding in Venice (Italy) where the long term records indicate tht flooding is getting to be a major problem tht i ffected by AGW and subsidence caused by oil production and waters.
Glennn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 08:26 pm
@farmerman,
Did I mention you? No.

But just for fun, why don't you tell me who LL and snood have been talking about?
oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 09:34 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
So here we are in a thread about global warming. And for some reason, you boys have turned it into a criticism of a poster concerning his postings in another thread that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed here. Analyze that, boys!

I actually think it's pretty funny when progressives wreck progressive threads by making them all about me.

Sometimes they even change the subject to "me" in threads that I hadn't posted in for weeks or months.

I'm at a loss as to why they do it. But it's still pretty funny.
Glennn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 09:41 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm at a loss as to why they do it. But it's still pretty funny.

Yeah, it's kind of cute to see them go into their little huddle like that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 09:51 pm
@Glennn,
you made your announcement about Liberals just after I posted. So it was just an APB eh? .
Ive no idea what another conversation is about, I was reading the stuff about Venice. Does that meet with your illiberal worldview??
Glennn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 10:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
you made your announcement about Liberals just after I posted. So it was just an APB eh?

Did I quote you in my post? No. I was obviously referring to LL and snood since they were ones obsessing on oralloy. You just suffered a paranoid moment/feelings of persecution, that's all.

And what's this accusation about me making an announcement about liberals? This should be good.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 10:39 pm
@Glennn,
Why do you think it's obvious you are referring to LL and snood???? Just for giggles, why do you bring it up?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2019 07:28 pm
Quote:
California and nearly two dozen other states sue Trump administration for the right to set fuel-efficiency standards
WP

Perhaps the most fundamental notion held by American conservatives is that central government must be restrained as much as possible and power kept in the hands of state governments.

Unless that's inconvenient for political purposes or when entities like the fossil fuel megacorps see a threat to profits.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 10:24 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Your explanation requires one to think past the obvious, which is fine. But in my opinion the behavior of the individual in question is best described by the Occam’s razor explanation - his words simply express what he thinks and feels. In this case as in other cases when I am confronted with someone who speaks in racist or homophobic or misogynistic or just generally hateful tropes, I rely on the advice of Maya Angelou: “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

It’s okay with me if we view this individual differently. You going to be able to leave it at that, or has this not yet been vivisected completely enough to suit you?

Yes, but you also have to pay attention to who is showing you that they are a witch-hunting witch.

Witch-hunting works by evoking emotional reactions in others. To understand and see it, you indeed have to look and think beyond the obvious.

Witch-hunting works precisely by manipulating what is 'obvious' in order to trigger hate and negativity against the 'witch.'

People are not witches. They are human beings. Human beings can be manipulated into (social)psychological states that can be used against them.

That is the reason we have rights of the accused, such as Miranda warnings and various constitutional amendments/protections.

This is not to say that such protections can't be used to shield criminals and protect witch-hunters as well as the innocent.

Often you have to look beyond the obvious to see reality for what it is, i.e. because deception and manipulation fall within the spectrum of human abilities.

snood

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 10:36 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Often you have to look beyond the obvious to see reality for what it is, i.e. because deception and manipulation fall within the spectrum of human abilities.

Thanks so much.

Do you assume I don’t know or thoroughly enough understand these things, and so must be instructed?
livinglava

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 10:55 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Thanks so much.

Do you assume I don’t know or thoroughly enough understand these things, and so must be instructed?

Based on the post I quoted and responded to, yes.
snood

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 11:20 am
@livinglava,
All due respect, but your ideas are not so uniquely profound or revelatory as you seem to assume they would be to me.

Obtaining my graduate degree necessitated that I become somewhat versed in the roots and modes of human behavior - I guess you’ll just have to take my word for it, since you seem to be saying my posts don’t belie my experience.

Maybe you can find a more willing poster here to illuminate with your obviously evolved and comprehensive expertise. You can begin your lesson with that particularly valuable pearl of wisdom that “deception and manipulation fall within the spectrum of human abilities”.