Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

roger

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 12:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, we wait long enough - no more coastal areas. Problem solved?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 04:15 am
@oralloy,
Doncha just love the way oralloy laughs at kids getting terribly sick and dying.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 04:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's indeed the case: we are all going to die, at some point, but that's a trivial point. The real issue is: how soon is the climate going to be so fucked up that millions of people start to die as a result?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 04:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I can't see how the MOSE project is going to improve things significantly. Venice needs the Dutch approach: to seal a whole polder from the sea.
snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:49 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Doncha just love the way oralloy laughs at kids getting terribly sick and dying.

Well he talks about piling up gun massacre victims and pissing on them.
He celebrated Elijah Cummings’ death and called him a thug on the thread I started in his honor.

It’s pretty safe to say this is scum for whom the concept of sinking too low has no meaning.
oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:29 am
@snood,
Leftist phony outrage is goofy.
livinglava

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:41 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:

Well he talks about piling up gun massacre victims and pissing on them.
He celebrated Elijah Cummings’ death and called him a thug on the thread I started in his honor.

It’s pretty safe to say this is scum for whom the concept of sinking too low has no meaning.

When people say such shockingly anti-empathetic things, it should be a clue that this person is more than likely rebelling against social pressure to empathize.

The problem with feminism and social justice movements isn't the issues they are focused on but rather the way they attempt to exercise fascist-type collective authority over others, by pushing people at the emotional level.

When you push someone at the emotional level to empathize, it strikes them on a level that is supposed to be governed by their own cognitive-emotional apparatus. The experience of having your emotions commandeered and pushed into political alignment is like being raped in a way, and some people respond by lashing out with offensive counter statements, like celebrating violence against victims they should empathize with.

I am not defending this terrible practice of saying offensive things about victims, but I am providing a social-psychological analysis of how it could be an act of rebellion in some cases and not just a terrible person expressing disturbing thoughts that are totally sincere. Of course, some people might get so stuck in the mode of rebellion against emotional social-pressure that they can no longer distinguish their thoughts of rebellion from natural thoughts that they have not due to rebellion.

Either way, celebrating Cummings death or the deaths of some shooting seems more likely to be something said for shock value by someone who feels the need to rebel politically against social-emotional pressures to empathize by people who abuse empathy as a political tool/weapon than something someone would say because it's a sincere opinion that's not a exaggerated political reaction.
snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:43 am
@oralloy,
You support a man who gold plates his toilets at taxpayer expense. Goofy, heal thyself.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:53 am
@livinglava,
I’ll readily acknowledge that saying shockingly non-empathetic things might be a rebellious reaction to oppressive emotional social pressure. I’m sure you also will acknowledge that it could just as easily be simply an expression of how that person actually thinks and feels.
oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:59 am
@livinglava,
Cummings was a witch hunting thug and the world is a better place without him. The reason why I said it is because it's true.

The problem with the gun control freak show is in fact the issues that they are focused on. They want to violate our civil liberties for fun. That would be unacceptable even if they were using some other tactic besides hysteria over their precious victims.

I'm not trying to be shocking really. I'm just telling them to shove their precious victims up their rear end.
snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 07:14 am
@livinglava,
I proffer the witness
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 07:48 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I can't see how the MOSE project is going to improve things significantly. Venice needs the Dutch approach: to seal a whole polder from the sea.
Rising sea levels in the Netherlands is an issue and the Dutch are doing all they can to prevent a disaster.
But I think that the situation in the Netherlands (and the German Frisian coastline) is different to the in the Mediterranean Sea (The Delta Works project in the Netherlands and the 'koogs' (koog is a kind of polder) were used for land reclamation.

You get such in France as well: the lowest polder in France (-4 m) is located in a commune in French Flanders, in the Dunkirk arrondissement (Ghyvelde - Les Moëres).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 07:58 am
@Olivier5,
Venice is subsiding (more than the Netherlands) and the absolute sea level is rising.
The most crucial problems of Venice and its lagoon are: the lowering of the level of the city in relation to that of the sea, the continuous decline in the number of inhabitants, the increasing frequency of the “high water” phenomenon, air and water pollution, and the increased erosion and salinity of the lagoon.
More at Coastal flood risk Italy
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 08:30 am
@oralloy,
oralloy says
Quote:
The problem with the gun control freak show is in fact the issues that they are focused on. They want to violate our civil liberties for fun. That would be unacceptable even if they were using some other tactic besides hysteria over their precious victims.

I'm not trying to be shocking really. I'm just telling them to shove their precious victims up their rear end.

blatant sociopathy incarnate as usual.
hightor

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 08:45 am
@oralloy,
Exhibit F
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 08:49 am
@MontereyJack,
Preventing you from violating people's civil liberties for fun isn't sociopathy. It's just being a good American.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 10:43 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
more glenn bullshit. here's the reality\

The reality is the surface temperature data from new uncontaminated sites around the country. The NOAA's U.S. Climate Reference Network (USCRN) implemented new sites in 2005 because the old sites were located in places that were warmer than surrounding air, like next to airport runways, in cities, where temperatures were artificially inflated by concentrations of people, motor vehicles, buildings, etc.

The USCRN includes 114 pristinely maintained temperature stations spaced relatively uniformly across the lower 48 states. NOAA selected locations that were far away from urban and land-development impacts that might artificially taint temperature readings. Graph from USCRN that shows actual surface temperatures taken from pristine sites from 2005 to present can be seen at the link below[/u]:

https://www.realclearenergy.org/articles/2019/08/23/climate_alarmists_foiled_no_us_warming_since_2005.html
____________________________________________________________________________________________

An interesting summary of the history of UAH satellite data:

Hurrell and Trenberth 1997 found that UAH merged different satellite records incorrectly, which resulted in a spurious cooling trend.
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/abstracts/files/Hurrell1997_1.html

Wentz and Schabel 1998 found that UAH didn’t account for orbital decay of the satellites, which resulted in a spurious cooling trend.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v394/n6694/abs/394661a0.html

Fu et al. 2004 found that stratospheric cooling (which is also a result of greenhouse gas forcing) had contaminated the UAH analysis, which resulted in a spurious cooling trend.
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~qfu/Publications/nature.fu.2004a.pdf

Mears and Wentz 2005 found that UAH didn’t account for drifts in the time of measurement each day, which resulted in a spurious cooling trend.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/309/5740/1548.abstract
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 10:56 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
. . . and with glenn's position.

The annual snowpack in the Oregon Cascades has been remarkably resilient in the face of climate change over the past several decades.

However, a new study co-­authored by an Oregon State University faculty member concludes this resilience is largely due to luck, and luck eventually runs out.

“I’m fairly confident that the assist that we’ve had from nature for the last 35 years is very unlikely to continue for the next 35 years,” said Nick Siler, OSU assistant professor and co-author of the study.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/6855672-151/lucky-weather-has-led-to-strong-snowpack-despite

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 11:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, it's been subsiding for a long time and indeed that makes it much harder to save from the rising sea.

I love this city but my wife hates it... and yet it's the romantic place par excellence.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 12:19 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
[...]
Work on the flood barrier began in 2003 but has been dogged by delays and issues including a corruption scandal that emerged in 2014, in which the then mayor Giorgio Orsoni was accused of accepting bribes in return for awarding contracts.

The latest estimated completion date is 2021. On Thursday the current mayor, Luigi Brugnaro, and the transport minister, Paola De Micheli, gave assurances that the job would finally be finished.

As part of the project, an artificial island was built between Venice Lido and Cavallino-Treporti to separate two rows of barrier gates and to house the main technical buildings for the operation of the gates. Riu said the island had changed the lagoon and allowed seawater to enter more quickly.

“The lagoon needs to be returned to the way it used to be as it worked perfectly well for thousands of years,” she said. “Now it’s completely destroyed. I cannot think about what it will be like in 10 years or even less, as we can see so much change happening already.”

Fabio Bagarotto, whose nearby gift shop was damaged in the floods, said: “All the tax money that has been spent on Mose and it’s not even finished. Politicians don’t care about ordinary people.”

As residents assessed the implications of the floods, tourists were enjoying the novelty. There were some wading through a flooded St Mark’s Square on Thursday morning and posing for selfies in front of the basilica.

One visitor said she had chosen to come in November on the off-chance that she would experience the famous high tides. Some spoke about how their hotels had filled with water, causing blackouts, but for the most part they had been getting on with their trips.

Chloe Dutton and Josh Parry, first-time visitors from Liverpool lifting their suitcase through St Mark’s Square after arriving on Thursday afternoon, said one of the first things that had caught their eye was a rat floating in the water. But it hadn’t put them off. “I think the water makes the city even more magical,” said Parry.