Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I hope those being funded to prove AGW arent having to eat their white coats from a lack of money. $70 billion has been spent by the USA Gov alone since 2008, and that has gone up considerably since Obama. Scientists get money to prove GW. If they dont prove it, they dont get any more.
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:13 pm
@MontereyJack,
From the "Union of Concerned Scientists"?? Rly?

Quote:
Rising temps ARE endangering reefs
Is that why they found that the CO2 in the oceans is being absorbed at a much greater rate than they thought possible? Given that the world does not have a one temperature one ocean, how do oyu figure corals in more colder climes arent going to grow if the oceans get warmer? Doesnt suit your doom and gloom much, does it?

Quote:
And since you're in Oz, you don't get a notice from youtube saying a video is not licensed in your country and is blocked, since it originated in your country. I, in the US,do.
So that justifies your emotional criticism of my summary of a video you never watched. Got it.

Quote:
I googled it and ended up with sites with Oz govt. backing, citing GBR dangers.
I will not be held responsible for fools in government. They are chasing votes that will swing them into power.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's been recently reported that the warming of the sea water has increased toxins in the Pacific Ocean.
So now GW is only affecting the crab industry on the West Coast of the USA...interesting. Try this:http://www.reportlinker.com/report/best/keywords/Crab?utm_source=adwords3&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Food&utm_adgroup=Crab&gclid=CjwKEAiAndSzBRDp5P232v-qtHkSJABw-VdtllrRPgTVqRi35RS3-zJ1gGpwq0j1fvKw6D7r1mHegBoCBB_w_wcB
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:28 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Amazing, you've gone two posts and haven't called me any names.
I havent been well lately.

The most volatile part of the Earth id the coastline. All of those things I mentioned can cause hundreds of milliond of flooding refugees as you call them. Take Bangladesh and a good tsunami. Japan and a good earthquake; some of those South Sea Islands under threat wont survive a storm surge, never mind GW.

Quote:
dumping megatons of CO2 into the atmosphere
If you have a room 20 x 20 x 10 meters of pre-industrial atmosphere, mankind has contributed one burnt match of chemicals including CO2. Doesnt sound so ominous that way, does it.

David Suzuki is a paid presenter. He is not an expert on GW, he simply knows how to make money by appealing to the greenies. He has no qualifications that enable him to comment with authority on the GBR. He did however get paid very well to express his opinion with the usual green doom and gloom.
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:31 pm
@ossobuco,
There was a report in the USA of a brand of trees being killed off in large numbers. GW was obviously to blame. Then someone went to the trouble of a detailed study and found it was due to bug. GW devotees were very disappointed. They love things dying off ...its good for business.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:53 pm
@Ionus,
I've seen the trees. Can you point me to the study.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 12:12 am
@Ionus,
Ionus says:
Quote:
There was a report in the USA of a brand of trees being killed off in large numbers. GW was obviously to blame. Then someone went to the trouble of a detailed study and found it was due to bug. GW devotees were very disappointed. They love things dying off ...its good for business.

You're probably thinking of the black bark beetle and the mountain pine beetle, which are chewing their way through our western coniferous forests, and may have killed close to a third of some lodgepole pine stands, among others. Hot, dry summers, drought conditions weaken the trees, and warming winters mean many more beetles survive the winter die-off and can fly further, and kill more trees come summer. In other words, the tree biologists say climate change is responsible for the increse in beetle populations and hence the tree die off. Nice try, ionus, it would help if your memory were accurate.\ and told the complete story It's not, and it doesn't

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/why-bark-beetles-are-chewing-their-way-through-americas-forests-15429

and wikipedia, "Mountain Pine Beetle".
roger

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 12:28 am
@MontereyJack,
I have seen this in person on the drive to Sandia Crest in New Mexico. It was the most depressing sight I saw in 2014. I am not going back.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 12:35 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I hope those being funded to prove AGW arent having to eat their white coats from a lack of money. $70 billion has been spent by the USA Gov alone since 2008, and that has gone up considerably since Obama. Scientists get money to prove GW. If they dont prove it, they dont get any more.

And herein lies a rub.

The federal government is spending more money researching a topic which it claims is fact, than on developing methods and means for mitigating the predicted ill effects.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 01:03 am
@MontereyJack,
Part of the problem is that virtually everything considered "bad" by people in 2015 can be connected, one way or the other, to climate change.

The globe underwent drought conditions long before humanity came on the scene, and beetle populations have previously surged and had ill effects for certain tree species.

Assuming everything GW Prophets call for is done, and done correctly (and this is a huge assumption since even the highly touted Paris agreement won't accomplish it if executed perfectly, and governments are notoriously incompetent) there will still be droughts and population explosions among certain species and die-offs among others. I suppose that at that point the focus on human activity in its entirety will sharpened and there will be Eco-Warriors calling, at least, for mandatory sterilization of great swathes of the world's population.

This entire matter has come down to a power struggle. There are hidden agendas underlying hidden agendas, but in typical progressive fashion, those disagreeing with their position are deemed evil rapers of the earth who are diabolical enough to destroy the planet, but too stupid to realize they live on it. Anyone who doesn't realize that there are powerful economic interests lined up behind the Climate Change movement that stand to make enormous amounts of money if one plan or another is enacted, doesn't understand how the world works, and has not paid any attention what-so-ever to the personal finances of Al Gore.

I've often bemoaned the fact that humans never seem to get around to addressing big problems until they become huge crises, but such behavior, at least, has the benefit of avoiding wasting time and resources on a crisis that isn't a problem.

It's bound to have a very frustrating outcome for the average person who either believes the crisis is real or does not. The world will never come together to enact all of the measures the Climate Prophets insist must be taken if the earth has any chance (never mind that the worst Climate Change predictions don't actually encompass the destruction of the planet), but enough will be done to significantly disrupt the global economy with a resulting loss of millions upon millions of jobs. If small atolls are actually in peril of being swallowed by the ocean, they will be swallowed and if coastal cities are actually in peril of flooding, they will be flooded. And if they are not, they will endure although many of their citizens will be lost to economic ruin. Meanwhile the New Energy magnates will become the new Rulers of the Universe, and some of the old ones will do fairly well too, by switching courses.

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 02:16 am
@Ionus,
Bolt is a paid presenter. He is not an expert on GW, he simply knows how to make money by appealing to the energy sector and its dupes. Unlike Suzuki, who has a doctorate in zoology, Andrew Bolt has never completed a university degree program and has no qualifications that enable him to comment with authority on the GBR. such as a zoologist does. He does however get paid very well to express his opinion with the approval of the energy sector.
Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 02:17 am
@MontereyJack,
They have the same problem with lodge pole pines in Canada, and for the same reasons.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Part of the problem is that virtually everything considered "bad" by people in 2015 can be connected, one way or the other, to climate change.

Ya think?

Quote:
"Climate change is "directly related" to the growth of terrorism."— Bernie Sanders on Saturday, November 14th, 2015 in a Democratic presidential debate in Des Moines, Iowa.

Quote:
President Obama made headlines Monday when he said during his remarks at COP21 that the climate change conference taking place in Paris is an "act of defiance" against terrorists who attacked the city earlier this monthLater on the same day, Bill Nye, the "science guy," took that link a step further, explaining to HuffPost Live that the brutality in Paris was "a result of climate change."

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:12 am
@roger,
Google "trees killed in USA by bug". There are no end of bugs eating trees. From memory it was the ash borer. Initially the greenies said it had to be GW, but that was just a knee jerk reaction. The investigation was reported in a news outlet, I havent the time to find it again.
Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:19 am
Things like this just don't seem to sink in:

Quote:
Hot, dry summers, drought conditions weaken the trees, and warming winters mean many more beetles survive the winter die-off and can fly further, and kill more trees come summer.

See Monterey Jack's post above for references to sources.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:22 am
By the way, storm surges, tsunamis and earthquakes are discrete events, and the effects are short-lived. Rises in mean sea level will last for decades, and possibly for centuries.
Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:22 am
@MontereyJack,
There are no end of assumptions in your posting. Just like with GW, you KNOW. Its going to require more than religious belief. This bug problem in the western forests happened in the 70's drought. I guess all the forests died out then and all this is a figment of your imagination. Of course it would help if you had more memory and less fantasy.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Last year (2014) the BBC announced it wasn't going to allow any comments that were against GW. They are getting desperate. From memory the Los Angeles Times was the first to do it.
layman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:32 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Last year (2014) the BBC announced it wasn't going to allow any comments that were against GW.

Why should they? The science is settled and the debate is over. I'm glad they did it. That will leave more print space for scary stories about global warming, ya know?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:33 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Bolt is a paid presenter. He is not an expert on GW
Thats correct but his guests had ample qualifications.

Quote:
he simply knows how to make money by appealing to the energy sector and its dupes
Opinionative and an ad hominem. And wrong. He gets paid by the TV station which also has a prime time show that supports GW.

Quote:
Unlike Suzuki, who has a doctorate in zoology
Was there something wrong with the credentials of the expert panel? Suzuki has been prone to errors ever since the green lobby started to make him rich.