Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 02:16 am
@Ionus,
You will notice, Ionus, your post says sewa water floats on fresh. That is wrong. In this post, you finally get it right, that fresh floats on salt. That is NOT your original claim. And temp was not part of the original post. Salinity was, and you were wrong. Further I'll be damned if I wast half an hour on an inept video. Your summary of their points was by and large foolish. The experts the Oz government have dealing with the GBR disagree with your denialists' points. They says that pretty much all the reefs in your quadrant face threats, the GBR among them, from CLIMATE CHANGE, pollution and despoliation of the coral structure from fishing methods. There are basically two types of reefs, temp-dependent and not-temp-dependent, and most of the reefs of economic importance to humans are temp-dependent, even a change of a couple degrees can cause coral to expel its symbionts (which provide the color in reefs, which is why the process is called bleaching). if the temp goes down, the symbionts can re-establish themselves, but the process is very stressful to the coral, and bleaching weakens it. If bleaching happens repeatedly, the coral will die, and that is what has happened to a large percentage of the world's reefs. The biggest el Nino of the last couple decades, in 1997-1998 bleached Oz coral. They're predicting a larger el Nino this year, another stressor on the world's coral, and likely to be more common as the world warms. No, the GBR is precarious. Yes, we're endangering it, and endangering the large fraction of the world's population that relies on protein from reef fishing.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 02:19 am
@MontereyJack,
And if I remember correctly, that video was one that wou;dn't play in the States anyway.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:56 am
When someone talks about "anthropomorphic" global warming, that pretty well says it all about their knowledge of the subject.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 04:03 am
@Setanta,
Is that the same as anthropogenic?
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 04:11 am
@roger,
It appears that at least one person here thinks so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 05:05 am
It is worth noting that our anti-global warming warrior here has ignored the most significant issue arising from sea level rise, which is definitely not whether or not the great barrier reef survives. A two meter rise in sea level will make hundreds of millions of people flooding refugees, and at the same time destroy huge tracts of farm land. That will be a catastrophe beside which dying coral will pale into insignificance.
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:17 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Further I'll be damned if I wast half an hour on an inept video.
Spoken like a true fanatic.

Quote:
Further I'll be damned if I wast half an hour on an inept video. Your summary of their points was by and large foolish.
So you are guessing the summary is by and large foolish...wouldnt it be better if you actually watched it? But I forget you devotees are like religious fanatics...never watch anything that was made by the Devil and will tempt you away from the righteous path.

Quote:
The biggest el Nino of the last couple decades, in 1997-1998 bleached Oz coral.
If you had of bothered to watch that video, you would know the points I referred to:
5. Sea level falling has killed much of the Great Barrier Reef over the last 5,000 years.
6. The only temp stressed reefs here (Oz) are in water where it is too cold.

That was from Professor of Marine Physics Peter Reid, at James Cook University; Professor of Marine Geology at James Cook University, Bob Carter; what are your counter qualifications?

All USAians should stop going on about the Great Barrier Reef (esp Obama) when clearly they know nothing.

Quote:
The experts the Oz government have dealing with the GBR disagree with your denialists' points.
Who are they exactly?

Quote:
You will notice, Ionus, your post says sewa water floats on fresh. That is wrong. In this post, you finally get it right, that fresh floats on salt.
If that is all you got out of it, when I went to some trouble to explain exactly what floats on which and when, then dont bother replying. You dont understand science.

Quote:
Yes, we're endangering it, and endangering the large fraction of the world's population that relies on protein from reef fishing.
Ahem....
http://sciencenordic.com/more-fish-found-deeper-ocean
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:18 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
And if I remember correctly, that video was one that wou;dn't play in the States anyway.
Its on youtube.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:20 am
@Setanta,
You got me. I was in a hurry and just clicked on the spellcheck version. I hope this great victory is well remembered by all your fans.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:24 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
A two meter rise in sea level will make hundreds of millions of people flooding refugees, and at the same time destroy huge tracts of farm land. That will be a catastrophe beside which dying coral will pale into insignificance.
So will undersea landslides, volcanic activity, earthquakes, meteorites, comets, solar flares, Global Cooling, Nuclear War, viruses and bacteria, overpopulation, and many more. The chance of something happening is more important dont you think?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:39 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
That was from Professor of Marine Physics Peter Reid, at James Cook University; Professor of Marine Geology at James Cook University, Bob Carter; what are your counter qualifications?
You forgot to mention that those both are members of the NIPCC ("Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change"). And the NIPCC is backed by the Heartland Institute, a US-based free-market thinktank that opposes action on climate change.
Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I get the impression you are saying because they are not devotees of GW then they must be wrong, esp as they belong to an institution that disagrees with GW. If they had of belonged to a GW devotees organisation would they automatically be right?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:14 am
@Ionus,
I don't mind what impression you get. But since you started to publish their academical occupation, I've just added who is sponsoring their work.

I would add that someone is a member of the IPCC as well, if that's not mentioned.

Dr Robert Carter,btw, was an unpaid associate professor - he's now an advisor at at least ten climate sceptic organisations and think tanks.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
he's now an advisor at at least ten climate sceptic organisations and think tanks.
... and got a monthly fee of $1,667 (USD) from The Heartland Institute "as part of a program to pay 'high-profile individuals who regularly and publicly counter the alarmist [anthropogenic global warming] message'."
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:30 am
@Ionus,
Sorry, Ionus, the science disagrees with you and your denialist cronies

http://www.climatehotmap.org/global-warming-locations/great-barrier-reef-australia.html

Citations there for relevant research. Rising temps ARE endangering reefs, not falling ones. And there's a big el Nino likely coming up in Oz, Prepare to eat your words.

And since you're in Oz, you don't get a notice from youtube saying a video is not licensed in your country and is blocked, since it originated in your country. I, in the US,do.

When you brought this up several months ago, I googled it and ended up with sites with Oz govt. backing, citing GBR dangers. They're there.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 11:03 am
@MontereyJack,
or in NZ. Same thing applies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 12:45 pm
@MontereyJack,
It's been recently reported that the warming of the sea water has increased toxins in the Pacific Ocean. The crab industry on the west coast has been all but destroyed, and crab must be shipped from the east coast- at high cost.
We usually have crab for New Years, but not this year.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 12:58 pm
@Ionus,
Amazing, you've gone two posts and haven't called me any names. I dispute that all of the events you've listed would cause hundreds of millions of flooding refugees. Quite apart from that, we know that the climate is warming. Just because you and a select few who get kickbacks from organizations who don't want their energy sector golden goose disturbed doesn't mean it isn't happening. Collisions with comets and thermonuclear exchanges are unlikely, dumping megatons of CO2 into the atmosphere is happening right now, and it is something we can take action on.

David Suzuki, by the way, has a PhD from the University of Chicago, and was a professor of genetics at the University of British Columbia. He was a very popular television presenter in a career that spanned more than 40 years. Your boy in that video just wishes he could do as well as Suzuki. Sounds very much like sour grapes to me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 01:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Also, toxic algae are affecting sea lions, causing them brain damage and memory loss. There have been several articles on this; here's one I saved:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article49792420.html

http://pics.mcclatchyinteractive.com/news/nation-world/national/4xb7ft/picture49792410/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/Sea%20Lion

photo caption:
Over a hundred sea lion pups washing up on California shores are color-coded, feed and treated by veterinarians and volunteers caring for them at the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, Calif., in March. Every available pen and pool at the center is filled with sea lions – mostly 8-month-old pups separated from their mothers, injured and emaciated. Manny Crisostomo The Sacramento Bee file

(There's more to the article, I just clipped the photo)

What warming ocean temperatures has to do with it comes towards the end of the article.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 05:17 pm
@Ionus,
He is saying they are a minority.
0 Replies