Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Adanac

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 12:39 am
Quote:
WEATHER REPORT……………….
January 8, 2010 " budsimmons

WEATHER REPORT……………….

The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a
report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consul Ifft, at Bergen , Norway . Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers
all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions
report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf
stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many
points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared. Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals
of herring and smelts, which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few
years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

Quote:
I’m sorry, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922 as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 04:02 am
Thank you, Adanac, for posting that article. It reinforces the fact that GLOBAL WARMING IS REALLY HAPPENING IN THE ARCTIC, because what was abnormal in 1922 and not characteristic of the ensuing decades, was
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 06:51 am
@parados,
Quote:
Where do you think it came from?
Because the earth has a internal heat source and an atmosphere it retains heat from the sun. Temp swings are largely due to weather, not climate. Climate is a result of very long term trends. Weather is a result of heat distribution.
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 06:57 am
@parados,
Quote:
Quote:
(parados)Your information is only 15 years old ican. Rolling Eyes
(parados) I realize it is much easier to just roll your eyes than look at any actual science, so roll away.
Double standards AGAIN ? Oh, for shame !

Thank you for the references.

I will get back when I have had a chance to read them.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:00 am
What caused the Medieval Warm Period ? Global Warming ? What caused the Little Ice Age ? Global Warming again but this time it was negative ? We still have not lost the amount of ice that we lost during the Medieval Warm Period. It came back..but why ? ....did they destroy their economy to stop Global Warming then ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:01 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Thank you, Adanac, for posting that article. It reinforces the fact that GLOBAL WARMING IS REALLY HAPPENING IN THE ARCTIC, because what was abnormal in 1922 and not characteristic of the ensuing decades, was
Yes ?? was....what ????
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 08:46 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Because the earth has a internal heat source and an atmosphere it retains heat from the sun. Temp swings are largely due to weather, not climate. Climate is a result of very long term trends. Weather is a result of heat distribution.

Very good Ionus. Now if one part of the globe sees a 40 degree temperature increase because of a change in heat distribution what happened to the part of the globe that the heat came from?

I have no idea why you introduce the "internal heat source". Are you arguing the "internal heat source" is enough to make a difference in our temperature?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 01:28 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

For the n time, I did provide the reference.

Where did you provide it?

Quote:
Your argument is to ignore it as you dont like it. If you show up after the link has been given then you read it. If I provide it again, what will be your excuse then ? I didnt read it for you ?

No, I will simply read the link.

Quote:
How do you think weather stations get an average temp ? Radio relay every second ?

I don't know for sure how they work. But I do know for sure that I don't trust the unsourced allegations that you are putting forward, and apparently nobody else here does either.

Quote:
As for providing the link, make it worth my while to cater for your laziness.

No. You are obligated to perform this duty as the proponent of an argument. If you want to withdraw your argument due to YOUR laziness, that's fine with me. But no obligation rests with me to do anything at all.

Until you provide a link I'm going to repeat: you're full of **** on this issue.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 01:58 pm
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
Jan-Dec Global Mean Temperature over Land & Ocean
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
ican711nm

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 02:05 pm
@ican711nm,
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, more than 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries have voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report
Lev Zeleny, director of the Institute of Space Research at the Russian Academy of Sciences and an Academy corresponding member, rejects man-made climate fears. According to a September 28, 2007 article in the Russian publication RIA Novosti, Zeleny "believes that before making Kyoto Protocol-like decisions, we should thoroughly study the influence of all factors and receive more or less unequivocal results. In order to treat an illness, we must diagnose it first, he insists." Zeleny noted, "Judging by Venus, a planet, which is similar to the Earth in all respects, we can see how far this can go. The temperature on its surface is about 500° C (mostly due to a greenhouse effect). At one time, Venus did not have a layer of clouds, and this is probably when it was warmed up by the Sun, causing a greenhouse effect. What if the Sun is responsible for the warming of our climate?" Zeleny asked. "There are two channels of energy transfer from the Sun - electromagnetic and corpuscular radiation," he explained. "The bulk of it - about 1.37 kW per square meter of the Earth's surface - which equals the power of an electric kettle - comes via the electromagnetic channel. This flow of energy primarily fits into the visible and infrared range of the spectrum and its amount is virtually immune to change - it alters by no more than a few fractions of a percent. It is called the 'solar constant.' The flow of energy reaches the Earth in eight minutes and is largely absorbed by its atmosphere and surface. It has decisive influence on the shaping of our climate," Zeleny said. "Solar wind becomes more intense when the Sun is active. It sweeps space rays out of the solar system like a broom," he added. "This affects cloud formation, which cools off both the atmosphere and the whole planet. We know from historic records that it was quite cold in 1350-1380. The Sun was very active during this time," he said. "Some dangers are much less discussed today, for instance, the inversion of the Earth's magnetic field," Zeleny warns. "It is gradually changing its polarity; the poles are crawling to the equator at increasing speed. There were whole epochs in the Earth's history when the magnetic field all but disappeared. Such oscillations have taken place throughout almost its entire geological history," he concluded. (LINK)

Quote:
CNN Meteorologist Rob Marciano compared Gore's film to "fiction" in an on air broadcast on October 4, 2007. When a British judge ordered schools that show Gore's An Inconvenient Truth to include a disclaimer noting multiple errors in the film, Marciano applauded the judge saying, "Finally, finally." Marciano then added, "The Oscars, they give out awards for fictional films as well." Marciano specifically critiqued Gore for claiming hurricanes and global warming were linked. (LINK)

ican711nm

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 02:14 pm
@ican711nm,
You who argue human emissions of CO2 into the atmosphere caused global warming, are obligated, as the proponents of that argument, to perform your duty to provide evidence to support your argument . If you want to withdraw your argument due to YOUR laziness, that's fine with me. I have no obligation to refute your argument until you provide that argument.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:16 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I have no idea why you introduce the "internal heat source".
I know you have no idea. You have no idea of most things, especially Global Warming. Your inability to read is only exceeded by your ability to not see the obvious. As I said :
Quote:
Because the earth has a internal heat source and an atmosphere it retains heat from the sun.
Both are important factors in the retention of heat by our planet, but they are not the only ones, they are certainly the main ones. What do you think would be the temp of our planet without an internal heat source ? Do you have any idea now ?
Quote:
what happened to the part of the globe that the heat came from?
It got cooler. As I said
Quote:
Temp swings are largely due to weather, not climate. Climate is a result of very long term trends. Weather is a result of heat distribution.
You really should try to understand before asking questions..try reading what I write first.
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Start searching at around page 700, you lazy incompetent.
Quote:
I don't know for sure how they work. But I do know for sure that I don't trust the unsourced allegations that you are putting forward, and apparently nobody else here does either.
You mean you dont know. As for your ESP as to what everybody else thinks, you are on dangerous ground with your opinion. Dont drag them into failure to do the simplest research.
Quote:
No. You are obligated to perform this duty as the proponent of an argument.
I did provide the link. You are too stupid or lazy to find it. Have trouble wiping your own arse ? Let me guess...you got through High school by having homosexual relations with the teachers...you never did qualify, did you ? I am not repeating myself because you are incompetent.
Quote:
But no obligation rests with me to do anything at all.
Not even read apparently. You are full of **** if you think you are the final word on what is acceotable.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:28 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Start searching at around page 700, you lazy incompetent.

No. You are making the argument, you provide the evidence. It isn't my job to do it for you.

Quote:
Quote:
You mean you dont know.

I just said I don't know. Can't be any clearer then that.

Quote:
As for your ESP as to what everybody else thinks, you are on dangerous ground with your opinion. Dont drag them into failure to do the simplest research.

The failure is on your part.

Quote:
Quote:
No. You are obligated to perform this duty as the proponent of an argument.
I did provide the link. You are too stupid or lazy to find it. Have trouble wiping your own arse ? Let me guess...you got through High school by having homosexual relations with the teachers...you never did qualify, did you ? I am not repeating myself because you are incompetent.

You're a foulmouthed bigot, Ionus. And probably engaging in a great deal of projection to boot. You also are unfamiliar with the rules of debate, which puts the burden of evidence upon you.

Quote:
Quote:
But no obligation rests with me to do anything at all.
Not even read apparently. You are full of **** if you think you are the final word on what is acceotable.
[/quote]

I'm the final word on what's acceptable to me. You can think whatever you want about what's acceptable to you. I am following internationally recognized debate standards - I didn't make your burden up.

You have now spent about 30 times the effort on defending your need to not find the information then it would have to actually link to it. This is usually the sign of someone who is full of ****. I've grown bored of this, and if you can't provide the link, I have nothing further to say, except to repeat that you don't know what you are talking about and like to make stuff up and introduce it as fact.

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Both are important factors in the retention of heat by our planet, but they are not the only ones, they are certainly the main ones. What do you think would be the temp of our planet without an internal heat source ? Do you have any idea now ?

Let's see. -
The sun provides an average of about 236w/m^2 based on insolation and reflection
The earth's core provides .075w/m^2
Even if we consider the sun only shines on 1/2 the earth at a time compared to the core always providing it's energy everywhere. That means we would be .06% cooler or considerably less than the warming we have seen during the last 100 years.

Quote:
It got cooler. As I said

Now for some simple math. What happens when you average one area that got cooler with an area that got warmer. We know the energy wasn't destroyed.

Quote:
You really should try to understand before asking questions..try reading what I write first.
Oh, I understand you just fine. The problem is you have dug yourself a hole.

The earth gets a certain amount of energy every day. That energy is not equally distributed. When you take samples of high/low for the entire earth it will reflect the total energy received per day even though individual areas will not represent the average.
parados

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 06:12 pm
@parados,
Quote:
That means we would be .06% cooler or considerably less than the warming we have seen during the last 100 years.

Let me clarify this -
The energy from the core provides less temperature increase than the .8 degree warming we have seen in the last 100 years. One source listed global warming as 200 times what the core provides. I haven't checked it with other sources.
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
No. You are making the argument, you provide the evidence. It isn't my job to do it for you.
I did provide the link. It is your job to read it. It isn't my job to do it for you.
Quote:
I just said I don't know. Can't be any clearer then that.
Incorrect. You said you dont know for sure. What does that mean ? You have a feeling ? A guess ? You know the subject but have no reference ? How do the weather stations collect temp ?
Quote:
You're a foulmouthed bigot,
You were the first to draw a comparison between me and **** but you object to a reference that **** should be cleaned up ? Double standards ? Or were you happy to be a foul mouthed bigot but you dont like it in return ?
Quote:
I am following internationally recognized debate standards
WOW!!! Will the internationally recognised debate standards police be knocking on my door soon ?

Quote:
You have now spent about 30 times the effort on defending your need to not find the information then it would have to actually link to it.
To which I wish to reply with : You have now spent about 30 times the effort on defending your need to not read the link then it would have to actually find it.

Quote:
This is usually the sign of someone who is full of ****.
May I reply with the wise words of you : You're a foulmouthed bigot.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:11 pm
@Ionus,
You can forward whatever opinion of myself that you like, Bigot; but your argument has failed due to a lack of supporting evidence.

Unless you are willing to present said evidence, there's nothing more to discuss. Do so, and we could move forward.

Cycloptichorn
Ionus

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
http://www.appinsys.com/GlobalWarming/GW_Part2_GlobalTempMeasure.htm
I have never seen someone so determined to be lazy. Was it that hard to find or did your incompetence and laziness present huge obstacles ?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 08:02 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

http://www.appinsys.com/GlobalWarming/GW_Part2_GlobalTempMeasure.htm
I have never seen someone so determined to be lazy. Was it that hard to find or did your incompetence and laziness present huge obstacles ?

Took you long enough, but nice to see that you are willing to do your duty as the proponent of an argument.

Appinsys.com is a skeptic's website, not an impartial source, to begin with. I mean, just look at their front page:

Quote:

Jesus Supported Separation of Church and State: "render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's" [Matthew 22:21]

United Nations No Longer Supports Separation of Church and State: According to Article 18 of the U.N. Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) "everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion"

But On Dec. 18, 2009 the U.N. General Assembly adopted yet another resolution condemning "defamation of religions" to suppress freedom of speech and calling for what amounts to a global blasphemy law.

Complete with a flaming picture of Al Gore on the front.

But nevertheless. Let us examine the link you just gave me.

Do you recall my original question to you, found here:

http://able2know.org/topic/44061-765#post-3888485

?

We were talking about how they recorded temperatures at sensor stations and how one event one day wouldn't screw it up - they used averages. You claimed that I was wrong and that they used Midpoints.

Here's the post.
Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Ionus wrote:

Quote:
No more so on a parking lot than anywhere else.
Do you have any knowledge of how heat is absorbed, retained and radiated ?

More then you, sir. That much is plainly obvious.

Quote:
Quote:
What matters is averages.
Wrong. The total amount of heat is what matters. Temperature has not been averaged, the mid point between maximum and minimum temp is used for conveniance sake. The argument is that the earth is getting hotter, not that the average mid point temperature is getting higher. If you cant see the difference then ask someone to explain it.

Are you quite sure about this? I just want to ask before we move on where you get your data from, to make that assertion. I also wonder if you realize that average temperatures - taken daily - from monitoring stations were the topic under discussion, not the average temp. of the Earth's atmosphere as a whole.

Cycloptichorn

You then proceeded to spend about 15 posts stating that you had already provided that info and didn't have to again. Now that you've posted your source, one is forced to wonder: did you even read it?

I only ask, because it says the opposite of what you stated:

Quote:
The Measurement of Global Temperatures

[last update: 2009/07/05]

The term “global warming” is based on an increasing trend in global average temperature over time. The IPCC reported in 2007 that “Global mean surface temperatures have risen by 0.74°C ± 0.18°C when estimated by a linear trend over the last 100 years (1906"2005).” [4AR, Chapter 3, 2007]. However, the measurement of a “global” temperature is not as simple as it may seem. Historical instrumentally recorded temperatures exist only for 100 to 150 years in small areas of the world. During the 1950s to 1980s temperatures were measured in many more locations, but many stations are no longer active in the database. Satellite measurements of atmospheric temperature were begun in 1979.

The main global surface temperature data set is managed by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) at the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC). This is the Global Historical Climate Network (GHCN) [http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/ghcn-monthly/index.php]: “The period of record varies from station to station, with several thousand extending back to 1950 and several hundred being updated monthly”. This is the main source of data for global studies, including the data reported by the IPCC.

Average surface air temperatures are calculated at a given station location based on the following procedure: record the minimum and maximum temperature for each day; calculate the average of the minimum and maximum. Calculate the averages for the month from the daily data.
Calculate the annual averages by averaging the monthly data. (Various adjustments are also made, so it is not actually that simple, as discussed later in this document.)

Right at the top, I didn't even have to scroll down.

Do you see the word 'midpoint' anywhere in there? They average the data on a daily, monthly and yearly basis. This is exactly and entirely the argument that I was making to Okie and exactly the argument that you couldn't ******* keep straight.

Now, let me ask you: do you have any other data you'd like to enter into the record in support of my argument? Laughing

Cycloptichorn