Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:22 pm
@okie,
Quote:
My guess is that it may not be worth sampling the temperature curve more than we do now, but obviously more data points provide a more accurate average, that was the debate here I thought. And if one station is off by maybe a half degree, how can multiplying that by all the stations cure the inaccuracy.

I thought you understood statistics.

The error in measuring may be in one direction but the error in trend can not be. Global warming only looks at the trend.

Let's assume all the measurement stations are off by some degree. Now we use the data from them over a period of time. Unless the error specifically trends one way, the error itself won't matter because the average over time will correct that error.

Look at it this way okie. Roll a pair of dice and record the number. Now do this 10 times. Add the numbers together and divide by the total number of chances. In 10 chances, the odds are good that the average will be about 7 and most likely between 6 and 8. Now roll the dice 100 times. The odds are even better that the average will be 7. The more times you roll the dice the more likely it is that the average from all the rolls will be 7. Eventually there comes a point that no matter how many more times you roll the dice you won't get closer to or farther from 7 because the sheer amount of data reduces the effect rolling a 2 or a 12 will have on the overall data. If you were to graph all your rolls, you would see that there is no trend in the data.

But let's introduce an error into the dice. Let's add 6 to the total. That means if you roll a 2 you record it as 8. If you roll a 12 you record it as 18. Roll the dice 100 times and graph the trend. Even though the dice totals are always wrong compared to what the dice actually were you still get the same trend line as if you didn't add 6.

Now if you want to, you can introduce a random error to your dice. Roll 2 dice then roll a third die and add the number from that die. Roll them enough times and you will see that the trend is the same as just rolling 2 dice.

Now.. get 30 pairs of dice.
Roll each pair 30 times and record their average. They won't all be exactly the same with only 30 rolls but if you were to add them together you have 90 rolls so the likelihood of it equaling 7 would be pretty good.
Now using the average you just produced for each pair of dice continue to roll each pair another 10 times. Now graph each pair against the the average. Some will show a trend going higher than the average, some will show it going lower but if you add them all up, the odds are pretty good they will show little to no trend.

Now get 500 pairs of dice (weather stations). Roll them 100 times (100 years of data for one day). Now, repeat rolling 100 times 365 more times (for each day of the year) for a total of 36,500 rolls for each pair of dice. For each 100 times you roll the dice use 30 consecutive rolls to figure what the average roll should be. Now instead of recording the number from the rolls, only record how far it is from the average. It doesn't matter how many spots on the dice or even if you use different numbers of spots for each pair, (A winter day would be -20 to 5 and a summer day would be 10-45) the likelihood of seeing a trend from random numbers goes down. You will only see a trend if you change the dice in a given pair.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:26 pm
@parados,
Since you think I misrepresented your statement ican, let's take them one at a time.

ican711nm wrote:
Based on known physics, this is not significant enough to account for more than a small percentage of the CO2 in the atmosphere

parados wrote:
1. Please show how "physics" as you proclaim to know it can only account for a small percentage of CO2. in the atmosphere. Chemistry shows that it is more than a small percentage.

So.. show us how you used "physics" to calculate the percent of CO2 in the atmosphere produced by humans and tell us that percentage.
Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:10 am
@parados,
Where do you get this fantasy world where you make up bullshit and ask someone else to explain it ? You made it up, you explain it. You are the one who thinks the midpoint must be the average. Clearly it is not the average. The true average temperature is not available. This means it could be getter hotter, it could be getting colder, or it could be staying the same. The midpoint between the min and max tells you nothing factual except it is the mid point. Why not just use the max temp ? That would make as much sense as calling the mid point the average.Meanwhile lets guess the temp over the ioceans..how much of the earth's surface is that ? And lets place land base instruments in obviously poor locations. Lets duouble up on some places and not put them in others. Lets have large areas of land appear in the data whilst other large areas disappear from the data. Then lets adjust the data so it indicates Global Warming. All this whilst ignoring any cooling trends or explaining where the earth is in its natural cycle. Global Warming Thuggees would have to be mentally deficient to not admit there is no proof.
Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I went back and found the ref. Now get off your fat arse and do the same. I am too busy to educate you. I provided the ref, you may live in denial if you so wish.

You were the first to insult me on this thread now try to be a grown up and accept the consequences.
Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:33 am
@okie,
If you have the inclination, okie, you need to stay up all night. Measure one 24 hr period with a thermometer (carefully placed, not like weather stations) every hour or half hour if you can. I think you will find Spring and Autumn fluctuate wildly as does winter. Summer tends to be more stable but rain can seriously change that. It all depends on where you are and what time of year it is.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:22 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I went back and found the ref. Now get off your fat arse and do the same. I am too busy to educate you. I provided the ref, you may live in denial if you so wish.

You were the first to insult me on this thread now try to be a grown up and accept the consequences.

No. It is your responsibility to provide a link to evidence that YOU are presenting. Otherwise, it cannot be considered valid evidence.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:00 am
@parados,
PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:
Human caused variable CO2 emissions? Part of the reason

ICAN POSTED:
Quote:
Based on known physics, this is not significant enough to account for more than a small percentage of the CO2 in the atmosphere.

PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:
Nature caused variable CO2 emissions? - Only if you want to pretend that humans haven't contributed CO2 above what nature can absorb.

ICAN POSTED:
Quote:
That's silly! CO2 emissions not caused by humans are known to now and for thousands of years to be far greater than that caused by humans--e.g., volcanoes and earth quakes. They along with the relatively small amount of CO2 caused to be emitted by humans circulates between surface water H2o and CO2 mixtures and atmospheric H2o and CO2 mixtures. As the globe warms more surface water evaporates at a greater rate into the atmosphere. As the globe cools a greater amount of the atmospheric mixture condenses and precipitates into surface water.

PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:
The sun's variable irradiations? - Also part of the current heating but not enough to account for all of it based on known physics.

ICAN POSTED:
Quote:
There is a preponderance of evidence to show that the sun's variable irradiance over its 11, 23, and 2300 year irradiance cycles is a principal cause of global temperature cycles.

PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:
Earth's orbit variations? - Not shown to exist other than in a desperate attempt to deflect any way deniers can.

ICAN POSTED:
Quote:
That too is silly. The earth's orbit about the sun is elliptical. The result is that the earth's distance from the sun varies enough to cause variation in the amount of irradiance reaching the earth. Furthermore, the earth's rotation is about a wobbling axis which also affects the intensity of the sun's radiation reaching the earth.

PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:
Cosmic rays? .... -Proposed, but the science doesn't support it.

ICAN POSTED:
Quote:
I agree that the rate of cosmic rays reaching the earth has not been shown by adequate evidence to vary enough to account in any significant way for variations in the earth's temperature. However, to date science has not shown by adequate evidence that cosmic ray variability has not contributed significantly to variations in the earth's temperatures.

PARADOS POSTED
Quote:
1. Please show how "physics" as you proclaim to know it can only account for a small percentage of CO2. in the atmosphere. Chemistry shows that it is more than a small percentage.
2. If CO2 was condensing from the atmosphere, you and I wouldn't be living on this planet.
3. Yes, over the cycles. There is also a preponderance of evidence to show that the current warming can not be accounted for by irradiance.
4. The earth's orbit is elliptical and cyclical. The distance from the sun in January may differ from the difference in June but the perigee and apogee don't change enough from one trip around the sun to the next to cause what you claim. Secondly, even if the earth wobbles, the disk it presents to the sun doesn't change enough to drastically change the energy that reaches the surface.
5. So, we can assume then that your stupidity is driving the increase in temperature since science doesn't have any evidence showing that your stupidity isn't causing warming?

PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:
Human caused variable CO2 emissions? Part of the reason

ICAN POSTED:
Quote:
Based on known physics, this is not significant enough to account for more than a small percentage of the CO2 in the atmosphere.

SUBSEQUENTLY PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:

Parados, to not corrupt what I posted, should have posted:
1. Please show how "physics" as you proclaim to know it can only account for a small percentage of Human caused CO2 in the atmosphere.

NEXT PARADOS POSTED:
Quote:
show us how you used "physics" to calculate the percent of CO2 in the atmosphere produced by humans and tell us that percentage.

This is a modification of what you previously claimed I posted. This has been answered by others as well as me in this thread many times. I for one, quoted physicists who pointed out the obvious: far more CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere from the evaporation of the surface water in which the CO2 has been mixed for eons, than from human emissions over the previoust 100 years.

STRIKE TWO! One more,Parados, and you are OUT.

parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:41 am
@Ionus,
I didn't make up this statement Ionus. You said it.

Ionus wrote:
Thats right. An increase in a high and a low does not indicate a rise in temp.

You also said this....

Quote:
Where do you get this fantasy world where you make up bullshit and ask someone else to explain it

Now,.. be so kind to explain why you think an increase in high/low doesn't indicate a rise in temperature in the example I gave.

You don't seem to be able to answer the simple question. You attack me. You accuse me of making stuff up but it is YOUR statement. I only asked about a simple example that clearly contradicts your statement.
parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:08 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:

This is a modification of what you previously claimed I posted. This has been answered by others as well as me in this thread many times. I for one, quoted physicists who pointed out the obvious: far more CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere from the evaporation of the surface water in which the CO2 has been mixed for eons, than from human emissions over the previoust 100 years.

That is meaningless ican since you ignore a couple of things.
1. It wasn't "physicists" that told you that.
2. You are ignoring the CO2 absorbed by the oceans.

This would be like arguing that the amount of CO2 in the air is mostly the result of trees. It ignores the fact that trees not only respire but they also photosynthesize.

Repeating your arguments doesn't make them stronger ican. It only shows you can't respond to any logical criticism since you are pretending that my post doesn't exist that answered everything you just reposted.

So.. one at a time.
What percent of the CO2 in the atmosphere is directly attributable to humans?
ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:33 pm
@parados,
Parados asked: What percent of the CO2 in the atmosphere is directly attributable to humans?
Quote:

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/nowarm.htm
Robert Essenhigh, E.G. Bailey Professor of Energy Conservation in Ohio State's Department of Mechanical Engineering.
For his hypothesis, Essenhigh examined data from various other sources, including measurements of ocean evaporation rates, man-made sources of carbon dioxide, and global temperature data for the last one million years.

He cites a 1995 report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a panel formed by the World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environment Programme in 1988 to assess the risk of human-induced climate change. In the report, the IPCC wrote that some 90 billion tons of carbon as carbon dioxide annually circulate between the earth's ocean and the atmosphere, and another 60 billion tons exchange between the vegetation and the atmosphere.

Compared to man-made sources' emission of about 5 to 6 billion tons per year, the natural sources would then account for more than 95 percent of all atmospheric carbon dioxide Essenhigh said.

"At 6 billion tons, humans are then responsible for a comparatively small amount - less than 5 percent - of atmospheric carbon dioxide," he said. "And if nature is the source of the rest of the carbon dioxide, then it is difficult to see that man-made carbon dioxide can be driving the rising temperatures. In fact, I don't believe it does."

Some scientists believe that the human contribution to carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, however small, is of a critical amount that could nonetheless upset Earth's environmental balance. But Essenhigh feels that, mathematically, that hypothesis hasn't been adequately substantiated.

Here's how Essenhigh sees the global temperature system working: As temperatures rise, the carbon dioxide equilibrium in the water changes, and this releases more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. According to this scenario, atmospheric carbon dioxide is then an indicator of rising temperatures -- not the driving force behind it.

Essenhigh attributes the current reported rise in global temperatures to a natural cycle of warming and cooling.

parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:53 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
He cites a 1995 report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)

Your information is only 15 years old ican. Rolling Eyes
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 01:09 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
He cites a 1995 report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)

Your information is only 15 years old ican. Rolling Eyes

Not only that, but he ignores the fact that adding 5% more on to a balanced and periodic system can throw things out of alignment. 5% is not a trivial number when it comes to screwing with the life-support system.

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 01:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not only that but Essenhigh starts with a flawed premise of "if and only if" which leads him to the conclusion that CO2 can't drive temperature. Since then the science all agrees that CO2 is NOT an "if and only if" follower but is actually a feedback in previous temperature increases.

http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/archive/ci/31/i05/html/05vp.html

To top it off, it is nothing more than an opinion piece in a short lived journal.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:03 pm
Parados and Cycloptichorn, your opinions regarding the article by Robert Essenhigh, E.G. Bailey Professor of Energy Conservation in Ohio State's Department of Mechanical Engineering, are just that, your opinions unsupported byrational evidence. You have failed to show that "LESS THAN 5% OF THE ATMOSPHERE'S CO2 IS LARGE ENOUGH TO HAVE CAUSED THE AVERAGE ANNUAL TEMPERATURE OF THE EARTH TO HAVE INCREASED BY ONE DEGREE CELSIUS OVER THE LAST 100 YEARS.

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, more than 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries have voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.
Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report
Nobel Prize-winning Economist Gary S. Becker, who is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and University Professor of Economics and Sociology at the University of Chicago, debunked the notion that acting now to reduce greenhouse gases will save in the long run. "Future generations would be better off if the present generation, instead of investing the $800 billion in greenhouse gas-reducing technologies, invested the same amount in capital that would be available to future generations," Becker wrote on February 4, 2007. "One criticism of this argument is that if the resources were not invested in reducing greenhouse gases, they would not be invested in other capital that would accrue to future generations. Perhaps not. But bear in mind that during the past 150 years, more recent generations in the United States and other developed and developing nations have been much better off than earlier generations when measured by income, health, education, and virtually all other important criteria," Becker explained. "This rising standard of living across generations has been achieved mainly through advances in technology, and generous savings and investments for children and grandchildren by parents and their elected representatives. Why should this fundamental aspect of family and public behavior change as a result of the accumulation of the harmful greenhouse gases in the atmosphere?" he wrote. "Discounting is sensible behavior. Common sense also suggests that technologies will be much improved in the future, including those that can improve health, income, and the environment. Put differently, later generations have benefited from large and continuing advances in technologies of all kinds in the past 150 years, including those related to the environment," he added. (LINK)

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
Jan-Dec Global Mean Temperature over Land & Ocean
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
For the n time, I did provide the reference. Your argument is to ignore it as you dont like it. If you show up after the link has been given then you read it. If I provide it again, what will be your excuse then ? I didnt read it for you ?
How do you think weather stations get an average temp ? Radio relay every second ?
As for providing the link, make it worth my while to cater for your laziness.
Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:13 pm
@parados,
It has been your policy in the past to plead stupidity. try to understand this, or at least find someone who can explain it. I feel I am wasting my time with someone who can not believe anything but Global Warming despite it being unproven.

An increase in a high and a low does not indicate a rise in temp. A 24 hr period where the temps were 10 and 30 deg can have less or more heat in it then a period where the temps were 0 and 40. Yet by the standards of Global Warming mis-science, they are both the same because their mid-point is 20 deg. Similarly, if the second dat was 11 and 40, we still can not say which day had more heat in it because we havent found the heat by measuring the extremes. We need to find the average temp and no-one is doing that. No-one bothered with the true average temp because they were using weather stations, not climate change stations.

Do you understand ?
Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:16 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Your information is only 15 years old ican.
When do you think Global Warming started ? Rolling Eyes
Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Where is your reference that the climate is a "balanced AND periodic system" ? Where is your reference that it is a life support system because parody is on record as saying it wont be the end of the world if we have Global Warming ?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:10 pm
@Ionus,
I understand perfectly, however your argument is flawed because you are ignoring where the heat would have come from.

The sun only provides so much energy. If one day has a 20 degree swing and another day has a 40 degree swing, the difference in energy to drive up the temperature came from somewhere. Where do you think it came from?
parados

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:22 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Your information is only 15 years old ican.
When do you think Global Warming started ? Rolling Eyes

the 15 year old information is disputed by the following -
Bousquet et al. (2000), Regional changes of CO2 fluxes over land and oceans since 1980, Science, Vol 290, 1342-1346.
Ciais et al. (1995), A Large Northern Hemisphere Terrestrial CO2 Sink Indicated by the 13C/12C Ratio of atmospheric CO2, Science, Vol 269, pp. 1098-1102.
Keeling, Piper and Heimann (1996), Global and hemispheric CO2 sinks deduced from changes in atmospheric O2 concentration, Nature, Vol 381, 218-221.
McNeil et al. (2003), Anthropogenic CO2 uptake by the ocean based on the global chlorofluorocarbon data set, Science, Vol 299, 235-239.
Takahashi et al. (2002), Global sea-air CO2 flux based on climatological surface ocean pCO2, and seasonal biological and temperature effects, Deep Sea Research, Vol 49, 1601-1622.

I realize it is much easier to just roll your eyes than look at any actual science, so roll away.