Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:23 am
Here is a very alarming report.

Most Arctic sea ice 'gone in decade'

By Tom Lowe, Press Association

Thursday, 15 October 2009

No commercial vessel has ever successfully travelled the North-east Passage, a fabled Arctic Sea route that links the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific far more directly than the usual southerly cargo route.

The Arctic Ocean will be an "open sea" almost entirely free from ice within a decade, the latest data released today indicates.

Ice cover during the summer months will have entirely disappeared within 20 years, but most of the decrease will happen before 2020, leaving the Arctic Ocean clear for marine transport.

The Catlin Arctic Survey, completed earlier this year by a team led by explorer Pen Hadow, is the latest research into the condition of Arctic ice.

Video: Arctic ice cap to vanish
Drilling and observation figures obtained during a 450km route across the northern part of the Beaufort Sea suggest the area is almost entirely made up of young, "first-year" ice, whereas the region traditionally consists of older, thicker "multi-year" ice.

Peter Wadhams, Professor of Ocean Physics and Head of the Polar Physics Group, has spearheaded the team analysing the results.

He said: "The summer ice cover in the Arctic will completely vanish in 20 to 30 years time. There won't be any sea ice there at all

Video: Arctic ice cap to vanish
"In much less time than that, the ice in summer will be shrinking back to this last bastion north of Greenland and Ellesmere Island, so within a decade we will see a largely ice-free Arctic Ocean in summer.

"It won't be very long before we have to start thinking of the Arctic as an open sea. Man has taken the lid off the northern end of his planet and we can't put that lid back on again.

"There will be a small enough area left that you can regard the Arctic Ocean as open as far as transport is concerned for instance

"You'll be able to sail across the Arctic Ocean from Bering Strait to the Atlantic without any hindrance."
--independent.com.UK
ican711nm

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:29 pm
……………………………………………………………
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, more than 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries have voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report
Australian Scientist Jonathan Lowe, who specializes in statistical analysis of climate change and holds masters in science, is currently working on his PhD, expressed climate skepticism. "If CO2 emissions were the major cause of global warming then we would see constant increases in temperature across the day and night as the CO2 blanket keeps the heat inside our atmosphere. Scientific research has shown that this has occurred with both minimum and maximum temperature increasing. We have pointed out time and time again how minimum temperatures are not a good indication of night time warming, especially when it rarely occurs at night," Lowe wrote of Australian temperatures on his Gust of Hot Air blog on November 7, 2007. "If CO2 was the major cause of global warming then we would see no significant difference in rate of change of temperature anomalies, in other words, all temperatures should increase equally. If the sun was a major cause of global warming then we would see no or limited changes at night, an increase in the rate of change approaching the middle of the day, and then a decreasing rate of change of temperature anomalies when the sun starts to lose its daytime strength," he explained. "So what do we find when looking at the data?" he asked. "The data points heavily towards sun induced global warming," he concluded. (LINK)

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:49 pm
@ican711nm,
You people on the right keep marching out those infamous 400 scientists, who are virtually unknown for the most part. Thousands of scientists have signed letters and petitions stating the opposite of them.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:53 pm
@Advocate,
By last count the number of scientists has grown to 460.

But that's merely scientific opinion.

What really counts is the trend in average global temperature. Currently, it is decreasing. See the UPDATED CURRENT graphs I posted.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 01:34 pm
US Special Envoy for Climate Change Todd Stern warns that it is "certainly possible that there won't be a deal" at the Copenhagen climate change summit in December.

Transcript of tv-interview
High Seas

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 02:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

US Special Envoy for Climate Change Todd Stern warns that it is "certainly possible that there won't be a deal" at the Copenhagen climate change summit in December.....

Well Walter, some of us worry less about that possibility than the rest of us Smile
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 03:20 pm
It seems to me that those who are not concerned with the increasing global warming are traitors to the planet.
ican711nm

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 04:01 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
It seems to me that those who are not concerned with the increasing global warming are traitors to the planet.

More correctly, "those who are not concerned with the increasing global warming," are knowledgeable of the fact that the globe hasn't been warming in the last 10 years. In fact the globe has been cooling despite the steady increase of CO2 density in the atmosphere over the same period. Those who refuse to accept and deal rationally with this fact are "traitors" to reason.
Advocate

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:05 am
@ican711nm,
It is too bad that you are oblivious to fact and reason when it goes against your blind adherence to right-wing ideology. Perhaps medical research will come up with a cure for this.
Advocate

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:07 am
Here is some evidence supporting the existence of global warming.

http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g_evd.htm
ican711nm

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:02 am
@Advocate,
Yes, the globe has been warming 1909 - 2001.

Yes, the globe has been cooling 2001 - 2009.

But human caused emissions of CO2 into the atmosphere are not responsible for either.

Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009

The sun is the primary cause of the heating of the globe. By virtue of the fact that the oceans contain a high concentration of CO2, and that heating of the globe causes more rapid evaporation of ocean water, the sun is the primary cause of CO2 in the atmosphere. Human caused emissions of CO2 into the atmosphere are trivial in comparison to the CO2 emitted from ocean evaporation.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 06:57 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
"Here is a very alarming report."

Why is that alarming ? Do you think sea ice has been there forever ? It has melted many times in the past. Once it covered the whole Atlantic. Should we go back to that ?
Ionus

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:05 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
"It seems to me that those who are not concerned with the increasing global warming are traitors to the planet. "

What if I dont like whales because they are fat dumb and stupid..am I a traitor then too ? Or if I think to hell with the white bear, lets save the black child...am I a traitor ? When you say "concerned", do you mean so emotionally biased that it has religious proprortions ? If you want to be concerned about something shouldnt it be real first ? I think anyone who wants to spend money to prevent global warming is a traitor to the poor and is misusing resources better spent on reality.
Ionus

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:08 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
"It is too bad that you are oblivious to fact and reason when it goes against your blind adherence to right-wing ideology. Perhaps medical research will come up with a cure for this."

And we could say it is too bad you are oblivious to fact and reason when it goes against your blind obedience to left-wing ideology. I know medical science wont come up with a cure for it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:26 am
@Ionus,
The higher seas will negatively affect about 25 % of the world's population. Thus, we don't want to accelerate the process, which is what we are currently doing by dissolving untold billions of barrels of oil and tons of coal into the atmosphere.
Advocate

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:29 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
"It seems to me that those who are not concerned with the increasing global warming are traitors to the planet. "

What if I dont like whales because they are fat dumb and stupid..am I a traitor then too ? Or if I think to hell with the white bear, lets save the black child...am I a traitor ? When you say "concerned", do you mean so emotionally biased that it has religious proprortions ? If you want to be concerned about something shouldnt it be real first ? I think anyone who wants to spend money to prevent global warming is a traitor to the poor and is misusing resources better spent on reality.

Your reality is not mine. And my preferences don't match yours. Sorry, but I think you and your ilk are traitors to the earth.
ican711nm

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:50 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
Your reality is not mine. And my preferences don't match yours. Sorry, but I think you and your ilk are traitors to the earth.

"Your reality is not mine. And my preferences don't match yours. Sorry, but I think you and your ilk are traitors to the" HUMAN RACE.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:35 pm
It is 90 % certain that global warming is man-made.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/02/AR2007020200192.html
High Seas

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 03:12 pm
@Advocate,
I know it, Advocate....it's our ancestors the chimps from 30 million years ago and their precursors to early paleolithic SUVs - look at this map, ice sheets hundreds of miles thick used to stretch all the way south of Kansas City, Missouri.....>
http://www.scotese.com/lastice.htm
> but since this has been going on for 30 million years now, what do YOU propose to do different?!
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 03:24 pm
@High Seas,
Increase taxes of course.