Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

miniTAX

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:31 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Theyve both gone strongly nuclear.
They've gone nuclear at the first oil shock, ages before this AGW scam. And now they use it not out of desire to "protect the climate" but to sell nuclear plants and to "establish a first global governance" (copyrights Chirac).
And don't say communists haven't taken strong measure to comply with the AGW rhetorics. They have taken 3 strong measures : tax, tax and tax.
I know it, I'm French Wink
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:33 pm
parados wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:
So, we should do something about retreating glaciers since it will affect water supplies?

You can't expect glaciers NOT to melt and to supply water. Either suck or blow but you can't have both. :wink:

You do know that there are seasons on earth, don't you?

Yes I know. But the nonsense I denounced is still a nonsense.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:06 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Theyve both gone strongly nuclear.
They've gone nuclear at the first oil shock, ages before this AGW scam. And now they use it not out of desire to "protect the climate" but to sell nuclear plants and to "establish a first global governance" (copyrights Chirac).
And don't say communists haven't taken strong measure to comply with the AGW rhetorics. They have taken 3 strong measures : tax, tax and tax.

Point well taken. Laughing
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:56 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Okay Laughing

But I'm going to recaption it: "Omg, McCain is a DEMOCRAT!!!"

(Disqualifier: I can't pin this one all on the Democrats though since there are plenty of AGW religionists on the right side of the aisle too.)

I think it is a big handicap of McCain in terms of being able to win in November, as global warming and advocating drilling in ANWR, etc. could be a big advantage if McCain could use it, but unfortunately he can't because he has been in bed with the Democrats on this issue.

There are several issues McCain could use to win by pointing out how wrong the Democrats are, but unfortunately McCain can't use them.

Fuel prices would be a big one, by pointing out that we should have been drilling offshore, ANWR, and other places long ago. After all, who would be dumb enough to expect wheat prices to go down if you quit growing as much wheat? Only a Democrat would, and McCain could have used this as a huge talking point, but unfortunately he can't because he has voted like a Democrat on this issue, as well as others.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:01 pm
miniTAX wrote:

So you are originally from behind the "iron curtain"? But didn't they have extremely low taxes there? :wink:

(Actually, even Vincent Auriol's Section française de l'Internationale ouvrière [SFIO] was a strong anti-communist party.)
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:12 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
So you are originally from behind the "iron curtain"? But didn't they have extremely low taxes there? :wink:
No no, I was born on the "right" side of the Berlin wall, in a communist country called France Wink
And it's not new Walter, read this from Tocqueville :
"Le goût des fonctions publiques et le désir de vivre de l'impôt n'est point chez nous une maladie particulière à un parti, c'est la grande et permanente infirmité de la nation elle-même"

Joke apart, the education system and the public sector here (which employs 1/4 of all French workers, the highest rate of all developped countries) is in the hands of a vast majority of leftists, some declared communists. So communism here is not just a "vue d'esprit".
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:15 am
okie wrote:
There are several issues McCain could use to win by pointing out how wrong the Democrats are, but unfortunately McCain can't use them.
With good spin doctors (Tony Blair must have some left), McCain can use anything.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 05:33 am
miniTAX wrote:

Joke apart, the education system and the public sector here (which employs 1/4 of all French workers, the highest rate of all developped countries) is in the hands of a vast majority of leftists, some declared communists. So communism here is not just a "vue d'esprit".

Those ¼ of all workers - that number seems only to be so high ... because it includes (traditonally) government employees, as well as employees of public corporations.

In Germany, 1/5 of all in non-self employed work relationships are civil servants or employees with civil servant-like employment contracts (tariffs similar to those of civil servants without the benefits of those).
Add to this number the others ...
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 11:57 am
miniTAX wrote:

.........from Tocqueville :

"Le goût des fonctions publiques et le désir de vivre de l'impôt n'est point chez nous une maladie particulière à un parti, c'est la grande et permanente infirmité de la nation elle-même".........

Before anyone shows up to bash you over the head for not posting in English....

Quote:
"The preference for public employment and the desire to live off taxation isn't limited, with us, to a particular party, it is the great and permanent infirmity of the nation itself."

Hey, we are fans of Tocqueville around here - most of us even read his book on Democracy in America Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:56 pm
Stendhal called it being on the budget.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:03 pm
My eldest son is named after Alexis de Tocqueville.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:50 pm
Clary wrote:
My eldest son is named after Alexis de Tocqueville.

Please tell us that his name is Alex and not Tocqueville.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:53 pm
the whole lot, but he only uses Alexis... but he loves it and is finally reading Dem in Am!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 09:21 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb

As of December 20, 2007, over 400 prominent scientists--not a minority of those scientists who have published their views on global warming--from more than two dozen countries voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Paleoclimatologist Dr. Ian D. Clark, professor of the Department of Earth Sciences at University of Ottawa, who has been involved with the International Atomic Energy Agency and co-authored the book Environmental Isotopes in Hydrogeology, which won the Choice Magazine "Outstanding Textbook" award in 1998, reversed his views on man-made climate change after further examining the evidence. "I used to agree with these dramatic warnings of climate disaster. I taught my students that most of the increase in temperature of the past century was due to human contribution of CO2. The association seemed so clear and simple. Increases of greenhouse gases were driving us towards a climate catastrophe," Clark said in a 2005 documentary Climate Catastrophe Cancelled: What You're Not Being Told About the Science of Climate Change. "However, a few years ago, I decided to look more closely at the science and it astonished me. In fact there is no evidence of humans being the cause. There is, however, overwhelming evidence of natural causes such as changes in the output of the sun. This has completely reversed my views on the Kyoto protocol," Clark explained. "Actually, many other leading climate researchers also have serious concerns about the science underlying the [Kyoto] Protocol," he added.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 11:28 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 11:43 am
The link for above: Jim Manzi on Conservatives & Science on National Review Online
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 01:36 pm

Quote:

Prominent scientist Professor Dr. Nils-Axel Morner, a leading world authority on sea levels and coastal erosion who headed the Department of Paleogeophysics & Geodynamics at Stockholm University, declared in 2007 "the rapid rise in sea levels predicted by computer models simply cannot happen." Morner called a September 23, 2007 AP article predicting dire sea level rise "propaganda." "The AP article must be regarded as an untenable horror scenario not based in observational facts," Morner wrote to EPW. "Sea level will not rise by 1 m in 100 years. This is not even possible. Storm surges are in no way intensified at a sea level rise. Sea level was not at all rising 'a third of a meter in the last century': only some 10 cm from 1850 to 1940," he wrote. Morner previously noted on August 6, 2007, "When we were coming out of the last ice age, huge ice sheets were melting rapidly and the sea level rose at an average of one meter per century. If the Greenland ice sheet stated to melt at the same rate - which is unlikely - sea level would rise by less than 100 mm - 4 inches per century." Morner, who was president of the INQUA Commission on Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution from 1999 to 2003, has published a new booklet entitled "The Greatest Lie Ever Told," to refute claims of catastrophic sea level rise.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 01:42 pm
ican711nm wrote:

Quote:

Prominent scientist Professor Dr. Nils-Axel Morner, a leading world authority on sea levels and coastal erosion who headed the Department of Paleogeophysics & Geodynamics at Stockholm University, declared in 2007 "the rapid rise in sea levels predicted by computer models simply cannot happen." Morner called a September 23, 2007 AP article predicting dire sea level rise "propaganda." "The AP article must be regarded as an untenable horror scenario not based in observational facts," Morner wrote to EPW. "Sea level will not rise by 1 m in 100 years. This is not even possible. Storm surges are in no way intensified at a sea level rise. Sea level was not at all rising 'a third of a meter in the last century': only some 10 cm from 1850 to 1940," he wrote. Morner previously noted on August 6, 2007, "When we were coming out of the last ice age, huge ice sheets were melting rapidly and the sea level rose at an average of one meter per century. If the Greenland ice sheet stated to melt at the same rate - which is unlikely - sea level would rise by less than 100 mm - 4 inches per century." Morner, who was president of the INQUA Commission on Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution from 1999 to 2003, has published a new booklet entitled "The Greatest Lie Ever Told," to refute claims of catastrophic sea level rise.

You know, I've wondered and maybe our resident geologists or equivalent experts might know.

We see frequent reports of land that is being lost to the sea due to sea level rise. Is it at all possible that the land is actually sinking as we know land has been known to do from time to time? Or has that theory ever been tested--I know there are accurate means of checking altitude. Does anybody know?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 04:45 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
You know, I've wondered and maybe our resident geologists or equivalent experts might know.
That's not a sentence Fox.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 04:48 pm
Are you seriously suggesting sea levels are rising because the earth is shrinking? That's theory from desperation.
0 Replies