Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 02:02 pm
Yippee!!!! Maybe, just maybe, they have figured out a new world crisis to focus on as the AGW caper seems to be fizzling out. And, living in the desert Southwest where availability of water is always a serious issue, this is one I could actually get in the spirit to support where or not it is a serious problem. Imagine if all that scientific research and the vast amounts of monies being spent on AGW was diverted to finding practical and affordable ways to convert sea water to potable water? That would not only help solve the problem of rising seas but could make the desert bloom and help allieve the worldwide food crisis.

Water crisis to be biggest world risk
By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
Last Updated: 7:49pm BST 05/06/2008

A catastrophic water shortage could prove an even bigger threat to mankind this century than soaring food prices and the relentless exhaustion of energy reserves, according to a panel of global experts at the Goldman Sachs "Top Five Risks" conference.

The melting of Himalayan glaciers threatens the water supply to the world's rivers

Nicholas (Lord) Stern, author of the Government's Stern Review on the economics of climate change, warned that underground aquifers could run dry at the same time as melting glaciers play havoc with fresh supplies of usable water.

"The glaciers on the Himalayas are retreating, and they are the sponge that holds the water back in the rainy season. We're facing the risk of extreme run-off, with water running straight into the Bay of Bengal and taking a lot of topsoil with it," he said.

"A few hundred square miles of the Himalayas are the source for all the major rivers of Asia - the Ganges, the Yellow River, the Yangtze - where 3bn people live. That's almost half the world's population," he said.

MORE HERE
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 02:19 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Yippee!!!! ...Water crisis to be biggest world risk ...

I'm not sure if you are serious, since possible or actual 'wars about water' are a topic for quite some time. (The UN runs the action: Water For Life - International Decade For Action 2005 - 2015 since three years now, with the US as one the biggest sponsor.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 02:26 pm
I think you missed the point I thought I was making Walter. Please try again.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 02:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Yippee!!!! Maybe, just maybe, they have figured out a new world crisis to focus on as the AGW caper seems to be fizzling out. And, living in the desert Southwest where availability of water is always a serious issue, this is one I could actually get in the spirit to support where or not it is a serious problem. Imagine if all that scientific research and the vast amounts of monies being spent on AGW was diverted to finding practical and affordable ways to convert sea water to potable water? That would not only help solve the problem of rising seas but could make the desert bloom and help allieve the worldwide food crisis.
i've decided you are not serious.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 02:44 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
i've decided you are not serious.

I'm not serious that it would be more profitable to utilize resources to combating water shortages instead of devoting that same enormous energy and resources to solve what is probable bogus AGW? Surely you jest.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 03:33 pm
So, we should do something about retreating glaciers since it will affect water supplies?

We just shouldn't think that the retreating glaciers are the result of any warming.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 03:57 pm
Of course retreating glaciers are a result of warming. I believe careful analysis will show that all glaciers have retreated during warmer periods, and most likely all have advanced during cooler periods. But if global warming is a result of a natural cyclical pattern, as it more and more appears to be, we're pretty much stuck with whatever the glaciers are doing and are unlikely to be able to do much about it.

But if the Himalayan glaciers are retreating into oblivion--the latest data I could find that suggests such is early 2007--then it is all the more imperative that we figure out a way to replace all that water needed for sustaining necessary life don't you think?

On the other hand, devising economical and practical ways to desalinate huge quantities of sea water could produce enormous benefits whether or not we are in any kind of environmental world crisis.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 02:58 pm
Germany and France compromise on car emissions:
Quote:
Germany and France on Monday smoothed over a dispute about European Union targets for car emissions, calling for a "substantial" period to introduce limits and some leeway on fines for automakers who miss the restrictions.

Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany said she and President Nicolas Sarkozy of France had achieved "an important breakthrough" on a plan that has divided the countries in recent months.

The announcement came as Sarkozy, whose country takes over the EU presidency next month, said during his visit to southern Germany that he would need Berlin's help as he pushes for a common EU defense policy and other goals.

Sarkozy credited Merkel with "unblocking" Europe during Germany's turn in control of the EU presidency last year. "We will need Germany," he said during brief remarks upon his arrival.

Germany, whose luxury automakers likely would be hit hard by tougher emissions standards, has argued that large and small vehicles both must contribute to cuts. France, which makes less-polluting vehicles, has disagreed.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 04:52 pm
parados wrote:
So, we should do something about retreating glaciers since it will affect water supplies?

You can't expect glaciers NOT to melt and to supply water. Either suck or blow but you can't have both. :wink:
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 05:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
But if the Himalayan glaciers are retreating into oblivion--the latest data I could find that suggests such is early 2007--then it is all the more imperative that we figure out a way to replace all that water needed for sustaining necessary life don't you think?
There are 9575 glaciers just in the Indian Himalaya and only a dozen scientists who study them. And studies have been conducted on only 50 glaciers whose 200 years of data have shown no significant change. That's what is said by Dr WK Raina, a leading Indian glaciologist and former head of the Indian Geological Society (sorry excerpts from a French link, google to find details).

But Al Gore & co knows that the region's glaciers are retreating.
Hey that's climate "science".
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 09:53 pm
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:

You can't expect glaciers NOT to melt and to supply water. Either suck or blow but you can't have both. :wink:

You do know that there are seasons on earth, don't you?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:50 am
Mid June skiing at Aspen, Colorado: due to global warming.

http://blog.stayaspensnowmass.com/
http://www.thereddawn.com/uploaded_images/Miles-H.-&-Chris-L.-at-Urban-rail-session-787266.jpg
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:17 am

From the first piece okie...
Quote:
"It's your typical early summer conditions,"

Of course summer doesn't officially start until June 20th.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:24 am
So its typical to ski in Mid June, Parados?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 01:32 pm
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/6/9/2/gop-base-tmdho080515.gif
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 01:45 pm
High Seas wrote:
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/6/9/2/gop-base-tmdho080515.gif

Problem is, whoever wrote the cartoon isn't much up on the realities. Neither Russia nor France nor any communist countries have been strong proponents of measures to combat global warming despite some impressive measures to increase energy efficiency.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:00 pm
True, Foxfyre, but first I thought it was funny and then I loved the look on that darling doggie Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:12 pm
Okay Laughing

But I'm going to recaption it: "Omg, McCain is a DEMOCRAT!!!"

(Disqualifier: I can't pin this one all on the Democrats though since there are plenty of AGW religionists on the right side of the aisle too.)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:28 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Neither Russia nor France nor any communist countries have been strong proponents of measures to combat global warming despite some impressive measures to increase energy efficiency.
Such as? What have Russia or France or any "communist" country done to increase energy efficiency?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:36 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Neither Russia nor France nor any communist countries have been strong proponents of measures to combat global warming despite some impressive measures to increase energy efficiency.
Such as? What have Russia or France or any "communist" country done to increase energy efficiency?

Theyve both gone strongly nuclear.

Next question?
0 Replies