Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:48 am
blatham wrote:
But...but...
Quote:
President Bush is poised to change course and announce as early as this week that he wants Congress to pass a bill to combat global warming, and will lay out principles for what that should include.

Ya just don't know what to think any more. I mean, Bush now...gad, who next?

This is not news. He has been an AGW proponent for some years now. I wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't factored into his sinking approval rating.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:53 am
ican711nm wrote:
Want the price of oil to decrease? Then increase its production, find or develop an adequate supply of an economically competitive substitute, or reduce its consumption.
Well they are looking and if you want to make some money suggest you invest here

"Is the Bakken area the new Saudi Arabia?"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
blatham wrote:
But...but...
Quote:
President Bush is poised to change course and announce as early as this week that he wants Congress to pass a bill to combat global warming, and will lay out principles for what that should include.

Ya just don't know what to think any more. I mean, Bush now...gad, who next?

This is not news. He has been an AGW proponent for some years now. I wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't factored into his sinking approval rating.

Good thinking! His poll numbers are down because his position is moving into line with the majority of Americans. That makes sense.
Quote:
Poll from one year ago...like it ain't gonna be worse now?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:07 am
yes but is it the new Saudi Arabia?

not really

Quote:
Assuming all 4.3 billion barrels could be retrieved, it would represent nine months of oil consumption in the United States.

you have to find a new Bakken every 9 months. Or you are living of past finds. Have you been finding equivalent of 1 Brakken every 9 months recently? I dont think so.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:29 pm
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
That only works in a free market without government interference, however. As a result of a prolonged drought in our area (now in its second decade), awhile back the citizens were asked to go the second and third mile to conserve water. We obediently complied.

After awhile we were advised that our water rates would be increased because revenues at the water department had been so much reduced.

The same thing happened with natural gas this past winter. High prices caused many of us to switch to more energy efficient furnaces, install better weather stripping, etc. to conserve energy. The monopolized gas company reported such poor earnings that it was necessary to raise our rates for gas too.

Maybe I'm really getting old, but isn't it reasonable to interpret that as a disincentive to conserve anything?

1) water rates :
you are esentially paying for the fixed costs/assets of the watersupply system .
the variable costs pay for the energy to run the pumps - and even that cost would hardly be reduced by pumping less water - assuming that the cost of energy does not go up and that's not very likely , is it ?
labur costs would not be reduced by pumping less water and long-term labour costs are going up too .

so you are talking about cost recovery here .
the costs might have increased substantially if the water utility would have had to drill more wells , build additional pumping facilities and build more treatment plants .

what you were essentially doing is preserving some of the fresh-water supply - and that is good , is it not ?

i can't see how the utility (private or not) could have operated with lower total revenue , but perhaps i'm missing something somewhere .

2) gas rates :
the utility would generally charge the gas spotprice plus the distribution
cost .
the spotprice for gas has been going up for some time Shocked
in addition you are paying - just like for the water - the cost of the distribution system and cost of pumping and labour costs .

i have difficulty understanding why you think your bill should have remained static or were you perhaps even expecting a lower bill ? :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
unless you can provide your own water and gas directly in some less expensive way - such as drilling your own wells - you will hardly see a drop in the bill from your utility .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there are some homeowners in ontario that by extensive modification to their houses are actually able to get paid by the utility for feeding electrical energy back into the system .
to encourage users to drastically reduce their use of energy from the net and also to feed back into the net , ontario hydro is paying those homeowners well above the spotprice for electricity being fed back into the system .
considering the cost of the modifications , i doubt that older houses could ever benefit from such "feedbacks' , but houses now being built give the owner the option to have their houses designed to make "feedback" a viable option (as long as the feedback electricity is bought back at a premium) .

looking at our own total utility bill for electricity , water and sewage disposal it costs us a little less than $7 a day - that looks like quite a bargain to me .
we still have "old-fashioned" oilheating so we have to add about $3 a day for fuel oil to that for a total of about $10 a day year-round - still not bad imo - considering that it keeps us warm at minus 20-25 C and cool at plus 28-30 C , keeps the lights burning , gives us fresh water and disposes of the sewage .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
hamburger wrote:
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
That only works in a free market without government interference, however. As a result of a prolonged drought in our area (now in its second decade), awhile back the citizens were asked to go the second and third mile to conserve water. We obediently complied.

After awhile we were advised that our water rates would be increased because revenues at the water department had been so much reduced.

The same thing happened with natural gas this past winter. High prices caused many of us to switch to more energy efficient furnaces, install better weather stripping, etc. to conserve energy. The monopolized gas company reported such poor earnings that it was necessary to raise our rates for gas too.

Maybe I'm really getting old, but isn't it reasonable to interpret that as a disincentive to conserve anything?

1) water rates :
you are esentially paying for the fixed costs/assets of the watersupply system .
the variable costs pay for the energy to run the pumps - and even that cost would hardly be reduced by pumping less water - assuming that the cost of energy does not go up and that's not very likely , is it ?
labur costs would not be reduced by pumping less water and long-term labour costs are going up too .

so you are talking about cost recovery here .
the costs might have increased substantially if the water utility would have had to drill more wells , build additional pumping facilities and build more treatment plants .

what you were essentially doing is preserving some of the fresh-water supply - and that is good , is it not ?

i can't see how the utility (private or not) could have operated with lower total revenue , but perhaps i'm missing something somewhere .

2) gas rates :
the utility would generally charge the gas spotprice plus the distribution
cost .
the spotprice for gas has been going up for some time Shocked
in addition you are paying - just like for the water - the cost of the distribution system and cost of pumping and labour costs .

i have difficulty understanding why you think your bill should have remained static or were you perhaps even expecting a lower bill ? :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
unless you can provide your own water and gas directly in some less expensive way - such as drilling your own wells - you will hardly see a drop in the bill from your utility .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there are some homeowners in ontario that by extensive modification to their houses are actually able to get paid by the utility for feeding electrical energy back into the system .
to encourage users to drastically reduce their use of energy from the net and also to feed back into the net , ontario hydro is paying those homeowners well above the spotprice for electricity being fed back into the system .
considering the cost of the modifications , i doubt that older houses could ever benefit from such "feedbacks' , but houses now being built give the owner the option to have their houses designed to make "feedback" a viable option (as long as the feedback electricity is bought back at a premium) .

looking at our own total utility bill for electricity , water and sewage disposal it costs us a little less than $7 a day - that looks like quite a bargain to me .
we still have "old-fashioned" oilheating so we have to add about $3 a day for fuel oil to that for a total of about $10 a day year-round - still not bad imo - considering that it keeps us warm at minus 20-25 C and cool at plus 28-30 C , keeps the lights burning , gives us fresh water and disposes of the sewage .
hbg

Well thanks for the forensic analysis Hamburger and all of it might be true. However what they TOLD us was the reason for the rate increase was that we weren't using enough water.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 05:04 pm
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
However what they TOLD us was the reason for the rate increase was that we weren't using enough water.

i can only agree with you that some of the "official" (and unofficial) announcements coming from all kinds of sources - whether governmental or private industry - make me cringe often .

i have a great book by edwin h. newman (formerly of NBC) called :
"strictly speaking and a civil tongue" . the book was first published in 1974 and skewers all politicians and business leaders , acedemics etc. mercilessly for the misuse of the english language .
(but i should be careful not to throw stones ... ... :wink: )

just reading a few paragraphs in his book makes me smile already !
hbg
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:14 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, over 400 prominent scientists--not a minority--from more than two dozen countries voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS
Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Climate Scientist Dr. Ben Herman, past director of the Institute of Atmospheric Physics and former Head of the Department of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Arizona is a member of both the Institute for the Study of Planet Earth's Executive Committee and the Committee on Global Change. Herman questioned how the UN IPCC could express 90% confidence that humans have warmed the planet. "That conclusion was really surprising to me, it having come from a world wide group of supposedly outstanding climate experts," Herman wrote in an April 6, 2007 article in Climate Science. Herman, who is currently studying several satellite based remote sensing projects to monitor ozone, temperature, water vapor, and aerosols from space, noted that the climate models are not cooperating with predictions of a man-made climate catastrophe. "Now, the models also predict that the mid tropospheric warming should exceed that observed at the ground, but satellite data contradicts this," Herman wrote.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:33 pm
How predictable was this. What a completely immoral putz this man is.

Quote:
President George W. Bush announced Wednesday what the White House calls "realistic long-term and intermediate goals" for stopping the growth of greenhouse gas emissions -- which scientists say are responsible for warming the planet.

President Bush delivered a speech Wednesday in the Rose Garden targeting a goal of reducing the growth of greenhouse gas emissions in the utility sector by 2025.
(AP)"I am announcing a new national goal: to stop the growth of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 2025," Bush said during a speech at the White House Rose Garden Wednesday.

Bush did not, however, propose specific legislation requiring reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. Instead he offered a broad goal of reducing the growth of greenhouse gas emissions by 2025 without specifying how the goal should be reduced.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=4663965&page=1
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:41 pm
I sincerely believe that the Angel Gabriel could come from the heavens, stand behind Bush and pronounce that he was the indeed the next messiah and have Bush cure all the world's ill's in a single hand motion while at the same time freeing every living person from bondage and poverty and starvation that many of you would still call him a putz and criticize him for not doing some small thing...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:42 pm
What was "immoral" about it? He outlined a realistic, coherent and self-consistent plan of action.

I have the impression that, because he expressedly avoided government mandates, clearly preferring an evolutionary process that will encourage new technology and, at the same time, preserve the economic growth required to pay for it, you count that as no action at all.

I find that odd, in that you fail to offer any criticism of Canadian or European governments that loudly proclaim unwavering committments to GHG reductions and offer large subsidies for "renewable" power, but which owing to the great costs involved, utterly fail to come even close to achieving their loudly stated goals. In these cases the active government mandates you evidently so cherish have achieved very little.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:43 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, over 400 prominent scientists--not a minority--from more than two dozen countries voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS
Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Prof. Francis Massen of the Physics Laboratory in Luxemburg and the leader of a meteorological station examined the UN IPCC's Summary for Policymakers (SPM). "The SPM conceals that the methane concentration in the atmosphere has been stable for seven years (and nobody knows exactly why); not one climatic model foresaw this," Massen wrote in a February 2007 article entitled "IPCC 4AR SPM: Gloom and Doom." (translated) Massen noted there is an "unrestrained contest among media, environmental groups and politicians" to paint as dire a picture as possible of future climate conditions following the UN summary. Massen called some of the climate reporting "absolute rubbish." "It seems that in the climatic area a new faith fight has broken out, which has all characteristics of historical Religion," he added.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:33 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I sincerely believe that the Angel Gabriel could come from the heavens, stand behind Bush and pronounce that he was the indeed the next messiah and have Bush cure all the world's ill's in a single hand motion while at the same time freeing every living person from bondage and poverty and starvation that many of you would still call him a putz and criticize him for not doing some small thing...

I'd settle for the immoral putz speaking honestly to the people who elected him. There is a reason that a significant majority of americans do not trust him to be truthful...the reason being that he isn't.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:36 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
What was "immoral" about it?

Bush's setting of goals, even realistic ones, makes him a no-good hippie interventionist, which is immoral. In 2108, our great-grandchildren will look back at the 21st century. They'll find that rising crude oil prices did more to curb global warming than all government programs and government rhetoric put together.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Bush's setting of goals, even realistic ones, makes him a no-good hippie interventionist, which is immoral. In 2108, our great-grandchildren will look back at the 21st century. They'll find that rising crude oil prices did more to curb global warming than all government programs and government rhetoric put together.

The problem is that the high cost of oil is mostly because of INCREASED demand, not lower consumption. I think in 2108, however, the concept of fossil fuels will be as foreign to our great grand children as record players or carbon paper are to my granddaughter now. Personally I think it more likely that they will be amused to read of the great global warming hoax of the 21st century and how many governments fell for it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:40 pm
blatham wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I'd settle for the immoral putz speaking honestly to the people who elected him. There is a reason that a significant majority of americans do not trust him to be truthful...the reason being that he isn't.

I think it far more likely that a significant percentage of Americans do not trust him to be the fiscal and social conservative they wanted to elect; however, anybody who has paid attention knows that he is reliable to tell what he believe to be the truth which is more than we can say for his predecessor. Those of you who accuse him of being untruthful were doing that before the election of 2000 and greatly stepped that up after he took office. However he did not mislead us. We got pretty much the guy he claimed to be. We sometimes probably weren't playing close enough of attention to what he was telling us.

The newest energy policy signed into law however is probably going to make the problem worse for awhile.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:47 pm
Your take on Bush is about right, Foxfyre. He was never a total conservative and we all knew it. But on the war, he said what he meant, and he meant what he said, which is miles ahead of his detractors, including those on this forum. Respect is earned, and no amount of spin will ever take this away from him. And no matter how Bill tries to salvage his legacy, it aint worth a hill of beans, and everybody knows it whether they admit it or not.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:41 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Personally I think it more likely that they will be amused to read of the great global warming hoax of the 21st century and how many governments fell for it.

And I predict this will happen much sooner than year 2018 predicted by Thomas. At least, that's what my GCM model says (GCM=gullible crap munching)
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:48 am
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Thomas,
Look at this graph and please tell us how long will the IPCC and Greenies will be able to perpetrate the AGW hoax (if you think crude oil will stop CO2 from increasing while the world is sitting on hundred years of reserves, you must be seriously disinformed).

http://pichuile.free.fr/images/correlation_t_co2.jpg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:33 pm
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

I do agree with that.

In keeping with this prediction, Bush wisely focused on actions that will (1) preserve the economic feedback signals that will eventually solve the problem; and (2) facilitate the speedy development and deployment of practical alternatives that will minimize the adverse economic consequences.

Unfortunately, those who foolishly look to a paternalistic government to direct their lives, and who deny all alternatives, don't consider this to be a constructive action -- indeed some, like Blatham, call it "immoral". Curious concept of morality there.
0 Replies