Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

hamburger

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 01:56 pm
Quote:
I was reading just yesterday I think the opinion of somebody that said it is likely, at the current rate of melt of arctic ice that within 15 years a permanent northwest passage will be open to shipping. The danger of this, so said the writer, is that ships will use the passage. And, because there will also likely be iceburgs in the water, it is likely that the ships will hit the burgs and sink. And that will cause oil spills and other pollution of the arctic ocean. And that will be devastating to the wildlife and ecology of the region.

I suppose the message of this is that we need to stop global warming no matter what is causing it so that ships don't sink in the arctic ocean.

oil spills are not just "devastating to the wildlife and ecology of the region " . oilspills seem to have the nasty habit of sticking around for a long time and polluting just about everything in its way . the oil will likely also find its way into the drinking water - not parcularly good - but what do i know .

but i do know that until about thirty years ago ocean freighters coming up the st. lawrence river and lake ontario regularly flushed their contaminated ballast tanks once they got here .
even now - thirty years later - many of the beaches are contamined with congealed oil sludge and the oil has found its way into the water table .

coast guard vessels and airplanes now control the waterways and slap offenders with heavy fines .
perhaps that's all wrong ; it's costly for the shipping companies to catch the oil sludge and prevent it from being discharged , perhaps we should invite them to continue to dump the stuff right here .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:24 pm
hamburger wrote:
Quote:
I was reading just yesterday I think the opinion of somebody that said it is likely, at the current rate of melt of arctic ice that within 15 years a permanent northwest passage will be open to shipping. The danger of this, so said the writer, is that ships will use the passage. And, because there will also likely be iceburgs in the water, it is likely that the ships will hit the burgs and sink. And that will cause oil spills and other pollution of the arctic ocean. And that will be devastating to the wildlife and ecology of the region.

I suppose the message of this is that we need to stop global warming no matter what is causing it so that ships don't sink in the arctic ocean.

oil spills are not just "devastating to the wildlife and ecology of the region " . oilspills seem to have the nasty habit of sticking around for a long time and polluting just about everything in its way . the oil will likely also find its way into the drinking water - not parcularly good - but what do i know .

but i do know that until about thirty years ago ocean freighters coming up the st. lawrence river and lake ontario regularly flushed their contaminated ballast tanks once they got here .
even now - thirty years later - many of the beaches are contamined with congealed oil sludge and the oil has found its way into the water table .

coast guard vessels and airplanes now control the waterways and slap offenders with heavy fines .
perhaps that's all wrong ; it's costly for the shipping companies to catch the oil sludge and prevent it from being discharged , perhaps we should invite them to continue to dump the stuff right here .
hbg

I wasn't talking about intentional pollution of the water and shorelines, which I think you probably know if you even read what I posted. Nor do I nor have I ever condoned pollution of the water, land, or air. Accidents happen and those responsible should have to clean up their messes. Deliberate pollution should merit quick and severe consequences as well as fines and responsibility to clean up the mess.

But having said that, the thing is Hamburger, human beings are life forms too. They have been around on the this planet now for a very long time, and they presumably have evolved along with all other species. Now we can either accept that humans have either evolved into a superior intelligence and ability to reason or it is God given--your choice--and that it is normal and natural that we use this for our own preservation, pleasure, and to meet whatever goals we set for ourselves, or, we can think that human beings have no right to conduct their lives in any fashion other than that of other creatures on Earth.

I personally think human beings continue to overcome challenges that seemed impossible to prior generations, that they have accomplished as much good for other creatures as they have been detrimental, and humans can be expected to do this for all generations to come. Generally good has eventually triumphed over evil and of all creatures we do have concern for our environment and our effect on it.

I have every confidence that by the time the oil supplies of the Earth have been depleted, we will have long harnessed better and even more environmentally friendly energy sources. Meanwhile, I do not think that any case has been made to show that it is necessary that we diminish our way of life or progress toward a brighter and better world. The Earth probably is in a warming cycle from whatever reason, but historically warmer has been far more beneficial to living creatures on Earth than has been colder.

However, if you genuinely think that humans should be restricted in their lifestyles in favor of all other species, you Canadians are a lot closer to the arctic circle than we are. Why don't you show us the way by turning out all the lights, parking all your vehicles, and reducing your green house emission, other than those emitted by your own breath and vegetation, to zero and see what effect that might have on those ice shelves. If we see an immediate verifiable correlating change in the rate of ice melt, I would consider that important.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:17 pm
Quote:
Meanwhile, I do not think that any case has been made to show that it is necessary that we diminish our way of life or progress toward a brighter and better world.

i would think when all the currently less developed countries with large populations start using energy at the same rate as we do in north-america , we may run into a spot of bother .

perhaps it will be the chinese or indians that will develop means to produce energy in more efficient and less polluting ways .
having watched some of the weekend programs on MSBC from around the world , it seems that india has already developed some plants that are close to pollution free and energy self-sustaining .
they are probably more in tune with nature than we are .
more power to them .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 05:07 pm
hamburger wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, I do not think that any case has been made to show that it is necessary that we diminish our way of life or progress toward a brighter and better world.

i would think when all the currently less developed countries with large populations start using energy at the same rate as we do in north-america , we may run into a spot of bother .

perhaps it will be the chinese or indians that will develop means to produce energy in more efficient and less polluting ways .
having watched some of the weekend programs on MSBC from around the world , it seems that india has already developed some plants that are close to pollution free and energy self-sustaining .
they are probably more in tune with nature than we are .
more power to them .
hbg

I grew up as an oil patch kid and lived in oil and gas producing country along with related fly ash and carbon black plants until I was in my mid 20's. Then the manufacturing plants emitted tons of thick oily black unbreathable smoke that coated the ground, plants, fence rows, and buildings for a mile in every direction. On a clear day, you could see the smoke from 30 miles away. The refineries emitted or burned off noxious fumes from the refining process, but in the dead of night you knew when you had entered oil country because of the smell.

Now the carbon black plants and fly ash plants emit occasional pure steam without a single puff of smoke--the scrubbers, developed courtesy of big oil, remove every single pollutant before it is emitted into the air. There are still a few flares burning off excess gas produced from oil refining processes, but the refineries are clean and pass all requirements for environmentally pure operation. You can drive through towns with pump jacks operating on the courthouse lawn and smell nothing but country air or chicken fried steak at the main street restaurant.

It is my opinion that the more people become affluent, the more likely they are to demand clean air, clean soil, clean water, and a beautiful and safe environment. The poor care more about day to day survival than they care whether their environment is being polluted. Therefore, I think when the poorer of the world develop to the point that they are using energy at the level we do, they will do so using the technology to use it in environmentally friendly ways that others will have already developed and the world will be a cleaner and more environmentally friendly place.

Now I'm waiting for environmental science to catch up with and deal with the cattle feed lots and dairy farms both of which significantly pollute the environment. That gallon of petrol in your truck is likely to be far more environmentally friendly than is the gallon of milk in your refrigerator.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 05:18 pm
The poor care more about day to day to day life.
That is the worst envioronmental pollution
Rama
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:07 pm
parados wrote:
okie..

Maybe you didn't read your source... Let me quote it for you..

In the next 30 days the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) will release a new report giving an accurate resource assessment of the Bakken Oil Formation that covers North Dakota and portions of South Dakota and Montana. With new horizontal drilling technology it is believed that from 175 to 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil are held in this 200,000 square mile reserve that was initially discovered in 1951.

Anwar doesn't come close to the Bakken Oil formation. You can't trust Fox news to get anything right it seems.

Fox News did not get it wrong. It merely reported the current estimate of recoverable oil now. Apparently there is much speculation about what can be recovered using improved technologies, such as horizontal drilling, and apparently futher estimates in future reports are expected to go higher, but alot of it is speculation. I reported this several pages back, Parados, in regard to improved drilling and production techniques. I am happy there is much potential, and it wouldn't surprise me to see this increase in importance as the price stays up and continues up.

But again, I thought you were against drilling for oil? What makes this region fair game while other areas are not? Are you an environmentalist with prejudice against North Dakota, but you somehow care about Alaska more?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:28 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Therefore, I think when the poorer of the world develop to the point that they are using energy at the level we do, they will do so using the technology to use it in environmentally friendly ways that others will have already developed and the world will be a cleaner and more environmentally friendly place.
That's called environmental Kuznets curves: growth & development end up with a better environment and that's a reality which has applied to countless examples.

That's why reducing CO2 emissions is so attractive to anti-capitalists and anti-globalists because they have a superb justification to ditch the Kuzenets curve and attack growth (contrary to pollution, CO2 will increase with growth as long as only toy energies like wind are available).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:43 am
miniTAX wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Therefore, I think when the poorer of the world develop to the point that they are using energy at the level we do, they will do so using the technology to use it in environmentally friendly ways that others will have already developed and the world will be a cleaner and more environmentally friendly place.
That's called environmental Kuznets curves: growth & development end up with a better environment and that's a reality which has applied to countless examples.

That's why reducing CO2 emissions is so attractive to anti-capitalists and anti-globalists because they have a superb justification to ditch the Kuzenets curve and attack growth (contrary to pollution, CO2 will increase with growth as long as only toy energies like wind are available).

Thanks miniTax. I'm always glad to learn that I've conformed to scientific opinion even when I'm shooting from the hip. Smile
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 09:47 am
Still unhappy news... for AGWers.
A prominent promoter of the AGW-hurricane link finally says that after all, there is no link. Rolling Eyes
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/news/5693436.html

Even the poster of hurricane swirling out of a plant's chimney in Al Gore's film is wrong. Shocked
But well, don't be surprised NOT to find this inconvenient truth in the general media. They are still recovering from the Katrina-AGW hysteria.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:57 pm
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/20080414RZ1AP-Energy.jpg
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:15 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, over 400 prominent scientists--not a minority--from more than two dozen countries voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS
Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

6. Glaciologist Nikolai Osokin of the Institute of Geography and member of the Russian Academy of Sciences dismissed alarmist climate fears of all of the world's ice melting in a March 27, 2007 article. "The planet may rest assured," Osokin wrote. "This hypothetical catastrophe could not take place anytime within the next thousand years," he explained. "Today, scientists say that the melting of the permafrost has stalled, which has been proved by data obtained by meteorological stations along Russia's Arctic coast," Olokin added. "The (recent) period of warming was tangible, but now it may be drawing to a close. Most natural processes on the earth are cyclical, having a shorter or longer rhythm. Yet no matter how these sinusoids look, a temperature rise is inevitably followed by a decline, and vice versa."
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:20 pm
Want the price of oil to decrease? Then increase its production, find or develop an adequate supply of an economically competitive substitute, or reduce its consumption.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:01 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Want the price of oil to decrease? Then increase its production, find or develop an adequate supply of an economically competitive substitute, or reduce its consumption.

That only works in a free market without government interference, however. As a result of a prolonged drought in our area (now in its second decade), awhile back the citizens were asked to go the second and third mile to conserve water. We obediently complied.

After awhile we were advised that our water rates would be increased because revenues at the water department had been so much reduced.

The same thing happened with natural gas this past winter. High prices caused many of us to switch to more energy efficient furnaces, install better weather stripping, etc. to conserve energy. The monopolized gas company reported such poor earnings that it was necessary to raise our rates for gas too.

Maybe I'm really getting old, but isn't it reasonable to interpret that as a disincentive to conserve anything?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:46 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

That only works in a free market without government interference, however.

True! So I should have added that freeing the market from government is a necessary step for any one of my three recommendations to work.

As a result of a prolonged drought in our area (now in its second decade), awhile back the citizens were asked to go the second and third mile to conserve water. We obediently complied.

After awhile we were advised that our water rates would be increased because revenues at the water department had been so much reduced.

The same thing happened with natural gas this past winter. High prices caused many of us to switch to more energy efficient furnaces, install better weather stripping, etc. to conserve energy. The monopolized gas company reported such poor earnings that it was necessary to raise our rates for gas too.

Maybe I'm really getting old, but isn't it reasonable to interpret that as a disincentive to conserve anything?

Yes! Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

I was told yesterday by a young woman, that since I'm old, I don't have to worry about the consequences of not solving the government problem. She said: "I'll will have died before our country will completely collapse. So I have zero motivation to try to stop that collapse."

I advised her that I must do something to solve the problem, or else my children and grandchildren will pay the price of my not solving it. So I better do what I can and make the best use of the time I have while doing it.

You too!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 12:00 am
So much for freedom of thought! This guy, Hansen, takes the cake. Is he a little dictator or what?

http://www.foe.org/textbook/Hansen_Letter.pdf

And another article on the "unbiased" media:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8621
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:43 pm
Quote:
Bush prepares global warming initiative
By Stephen Dinan
April 14, 2008
President Bush is poised to change course and announce as early as this week that he wants Congress to pass a bill to combat global warming, and will lay out principles for what that should include.

Specifics of the policy are still being fiercely debated, but Bush administration officials have told Republicans in Congress that they feel pressure to act now because they fear a coming regulatory nightmare. It would be the first time Mr. Bush has called for statutory authority on the subject.

"This is an attempt to move the administration and the party closer to the center on global warming. With these steps, it is hoped that the debate over this is over, and it is time to do something," said an administration source close to the White House who is familiar with the planning and who said to expect an announcement this week.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080414/NATION/676175489/1001
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:49 pm
Less consumption.
Buy what you need.
Show not your artificial affluence.
This will help to make this globe a better one.

In my case this is my way of life.
I smoke cigarets and I have no car.
I eat only the minimum and I have no credit car.
I walk a lot and talk with all people.
Community comradeship convert the country congenial.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:26 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, over 400 prominent scientists--not a minority--from more than two dozen countries voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:36 am
But...but...
Quote:
President Bush is poised to change course and announce as early as this week that he wants Congress to pass a bill to combat global warming, and will lay out principles for what that should include.

Ya just don't know what to think any more. I mean, Bush now...gad, who next?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:44 am
Public Service Announcement
This Owl Gore Global Warming thing is a HOAX !!
0 Replies