Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

username

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:42 pm
Nope. For example, you see that strong peak in 1997-98, the strongest el Nino on record? See that strong dip right after it, 1998-99? la Nina year.

Some are stronger, some are weaker, of each, just like most things on earth.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:50 pm
okie, if you ever bother to read the IPCC's assessment reports, you would notice that they always list ALL the factors known (and reasonably suspected) to affect climate, including the ones Parado listed, and further expansions on them. The amount of impact is quantized too. That extends at least as far back as their Second Assessment Report, now at least ten years old. Why does this STILL come as such a surprise to you?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:06 am
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

Other factors in no particular order...

Methane, aerosols, land ice, forrestation/deforrestation, water pollution, volcanic activity, solar radiation, global procession, orbit variance.

I'm sure I've left some out. I'm sure some are yet to be discovered.

T
K
O

Okay, so what percentage or influence is calculated for each of the factors you list, Diest? This should be a piece of cake for you, given that the influence of man produced CO2 has been pinned down so well. Keep in mind here that you brought this up about other factors, so you owe it to all of us to prove that all of those influences have been claimed, and I assume calculated and published, otherwise how would you ever be able to determine the scope of man caused CO2 influence?

I've told you that I will not honor any of your requests until you retract your statement.

T
K
O
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:13 am
sorry, make that Diest in my previous post, not Parados.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:50 am
username wrote:
okie, if you ever bother to read the IPCC's assessment reports, you would notice that they always list ALL the factors known (and reasonably suspected) to affect climate, including the ones Parado listed, and further expansions on them. The amount of impact is quantized too.
I'm nitpicking again but it's untrue.
For example, you won't find NOWHERE in the IPCC report what part manmade CO2 accounts for the 0,7°C warming over the past century. You have forcings (most of them at low and "very low understanding" levels) but nobody knows precisely what their impact on temperature is.
Yes, the climate science is a bad as this. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:04 am
username wrote:
Nope. For example, you see that strong peak in 1997-98, the strongest el Nino on record? See that strong dip right after it, 1998-99? la Nina year.

Some are stronger, some are weaker, of each, just like most things on earth.
There is year to year changes indeed. But ENSO cycles of about 30 years must be taken into account too (this pattern is visible on more than 150 year records). We've had 30 years of El Nino dominated period up until 2000: see graph. Now, La Nina seems to set in more and more frequently. Add to this a major eruption (like Pinatubo in 1991 which cooled the Earth about 0,5°C for 3 years !) and the AGW people would rather have a good PR rescue plan. And I didn't even mention the quiet sun right now (no sunspot and magnetic activity at record lows since early January, which is rather unprecedented).
We live in interesting climate times.

http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/people/klaus.wolter/MEI/ts.gif
source : http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/ENSO/enso.mei_index.html
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 05:08 am
EPA wrote:
The Earth has already warmed 1.3°F over the past century, and it is projected by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to increase by an additional 3.2-7.2°F over the 21st century. These increases may appear minor compared with short-term local temperature changes, such as those from night to day or winter to summer, but they are changes in the Earth's global average temperature. To put this in perspective, global temperatures during the last ice age (about 20,000 years ago) were "only" 9°F cooler than today; however, that was enough to allow massive ice sheets to reach as far south as the Great Lakes and New York City. At the high-end of projected warming, human activities would change Earth's climate by up to 7°F but in the opposite direction.

source: http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_FAQs.pdf

I swear I get tired hearing about global averages...

T
K
O
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:37 am
[quote="Diest TKO].......................
source: http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_FAQs.pdf

I swear I get tired hearing about global averages...
[/quote]

An aeronautical engineer who confuses radiance with radiation and in addition gets tired of hearing about averages should sue the school that gave him a degree on grounds of misrepresentation.

Here are the required equations for George OB's post outlining nonlinearity of weather prediction - sadly for our aeronautical engineer TKO, they require more mathematics than averages.....

Quote:
The Navier-Stokes equations are the fundamental partial differentials equations that describe the flow of incompressible fluids. Using the rate of stress and rate of strain tensors, it can be shown that the components of a viscous force F in a nonrotating frame are given by

[ (1) , (2) shown in link >
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Navier-StokesEquations.html
> as symbols not supported on this site.]

(Tritton 1988, Faber 1995), where is the dynamic viscosity, is the second viscosity coefficient, is the Kronecker delta, is the divergence, is the bulk viscosity, and Einstein summation has been used to sum over j = 1, 2, and 3.

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:41 am
BTW, if anyone here thinks he can solve the above equations proving the existence of a divergence-free vector field of solutions meeting the constraints - there's $1m prize on offer by a mathematical institute!

http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Navier-Stokes_Equations/navierstokes.pdf
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 03:37 pm
High Sea - I told you to piss off. I could have said "sunshine" if I wanted to. Your semantics are just annoying.

As for the NS equations. I am very familiar with them. Fluid mechanics is an area I've spent a fair amount of time on, including CFD study. I can't tell you how much I'd love to be able to solve you problem, along with thousands of others.

I see your attack as a means to avoid the context I've applied to the seemingly small change in global average temp.

Someone tell me the significance of 1.3°F increase over a century, then tell me the significance of 9°F lower average over 20,000yrs ago.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 04:09 pm
this article appeared yeaterday in canada's NATIONAL POST - without a doubt , canada's most conservative and business freindly newspaper (yes , i do actually buy it on occasion for a balanced view . i was a long time subcriber when it was a weekly under the name of FINANCIAL POST , but quit when it became more like all other newspapers ) .

it is no doubt giving fair warning that to stay alive , businesses will have to take global warning into account - like it or not .
hbg

Quote:
Businesses ill-prepared for climate-change costs

UN Investor Summit

Janet Whitman, Financial Post
Published: Friday, February 15, 2008

NEW YORK - Another sub-prime-mortgage-meltdown-sized risk could be looming for investors: global warming.

That alarm was sounded yesterday at an investor summit at the United Nations headquarters, at which 480 investors, pension fund leaders and corporate executives from around the globe were warned that the vast majority of companies are ill-prepared for the Earth's changing climate.

Many oil producers, utilities and manufacturing plants have yet to factor in the added expense if the United States -- as is expected in the next few years -- imposes caps on carbon-dioxide emissions. Similarly, many companies with big real-estate holdings in U.S. coastal regions haven't calculated their exposure to increased tropical storms and rising seas.

Most of the financial institutions that lend to these companies and the insurance companies that protect them also have yet to adequately consider how they might get burned.

"It's like subprime mortgages ... one of longest-kept secrets of uncalculated risk," said Mindy Lubber, president of Ceres, a coalition of investors and environmental groups, which co-hosted yesterday's event. "By not acting on climate change ... we face the same kind of [risks] with what we're seeing in subprime."

Al Gore, the former U.S. vice-president, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last year for bringing attention to the issue of climate change, echoed that theme as keynote speaker, urging investors to dump any assets they hold in businesses that are heavily reliant on carbon-intensive energy -- or risk losing a ton of money down the road.

"You need to really scrub your investment portfolios, because I guarantee you ... that if you really take a fine-tooth comb and go through your portfolios, many of you are going to find them chock-full of 'subprime' carbon assets," he said according to an Associated Press report of the speech, which was closed to the press.

Similar to betting on subprime mortgages given to people with bad credit histories, "the assumption that you can safely invest in assets that come from business models that assume carbon is free is an assumption that is about to go splat," Mr. Gore said.

Wall Street is starting to catch on.

(now , thats' rather interesting imo. hbg)

This month, a group of big U.S. banks said lending for coal-fired power plans would hinge on utilities demonstrating they would be economically viable under a crackdown on emissions.

But many companies remain oblivious to the risks, panelists at the summit said.

A survey of global executives by consultancy McKinsey found 60% see climate change as strategically important, 82% expect to see stricter regulations on greenhouse gas emissions in the next three to five years, and 61% believe climate change could boost their profits. But only 40% of executives polled said their companies considered how climate change might affect their businesses.

Diana Farrell, a director for McKinsey, said companies' failure to act represents an opportunity for investors.

Since the first UN Summit on Climate Risk about five years ago, investors have ratcheted up pressure on companies to disclose how they manage the risk posed by global warming. Since then, proposed shareholder resolutions on environmental concerns have jumped from five to 40 and such resolutions now get an average vote of support of 25%, up from 4%.

As part of yesterday's summit, nearly 50 top U.S. and European institutional investors managing US$1.75-trillion in assets pledged to invest US$10-billion in clean technology opportunities over the next two years and also agreed to cut energy use in their core real estate holdings by 20% over the next three years.

The group also plans to put more pressure on Wall Street analysts, ratings agencies and banks to analyze the potential impact of carbon emissions and to urge the U.S. Congress to introduce a mandatory national policy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

"Our goal is to transform the economy into one that is clean, green and sustainable," said Bill Lockyer, California State Treasurer .

Copyright © 2007 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

***MONEY IS ALWAYS A GOOD MOTIVATOR IMO***

source :
BUSINESSES ILL PREPARED FOR CLIMATE CHANGE
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 04:31 pm
hamburger wrote:

Yes, I agree that businesses are ill prepared for climate changes of the magnitude predicted for the predicted increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. Also they are ill prepared for the probable magnitude of error in those predictions.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/2007/ann/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
Quote:

http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/ees/climate/lectures/radiation/index.html
THE CLIMATE SYSTEM
The greenhouse effect.
The effective temperature of Earth [255 K (or -18 °C)] is much lower than what we experience. Averaged over all seasons and the entire Earth, the surface temperature of our planet is about 288°K (or 15°C). This difference is in the effect of the heat absorbing components of our atmosphere. This effect is known as the greenhouse effect, referring to the farming practice of warming garden plots by covering them with a glass (or plastic) enclosure.

Then assume Normal Average is 15°C, or 273.16°K + 15°C = 288.16°K
Quote:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/ann/global.html
The 1901 to 2000 average combined land and ocean annual temperature is 13.9°C;
13.9°C + 273.16°K = 287.06°K

Assumed Normal Average minus 1901 to 2000 average = 288.16°K - 287.06°K = 1.10°K

Minimum Temperature 1880 to 2007 = 286.56°K
Maximum Temperature 1880 to 2007 = 287.76°K
Maximum Temperature minus Minimum Temperature 1880 to 2007 = 287.76°K - 286.56°K = 1.20°K

Current Maximum Temperature 1880 to 2007 = 287.76°K
Assumed Normal average minus Current Maximum = 288.16°K - 287.76°K = 0.40°K
Then the Current Maximum Temperature is 0.40°K below the Assumed Normal Temperature
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 05:00 pm
Why are all the CO2 emission alarmists alarmed?

By the way, I assumed that the more accurate of the stated 288°K (or 15°C) average surface temperatures of our planet is 15°C.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 05:29 pm
ican711nm wrote:

By the way, I assumed that the more accurate of the stated 288°K (or 15°C) average surface temperatures of our planet is 15°C.

If 20,000yrs ago the Global average temp was only 9 degree lower, then that meant that prior to this century the global average has gone up on average 0.045 degrees per century.

If an increase of 1.3 degrees over the last century is not "alarming" then you've got a screw loose or you simply do not care.

T
K
O
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:03 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

If 20,000yrs ago the Global average temp was only 9 degree lower, then that meant that prior to this century the global average has gone up on average 0.045 degrees per century.

If an increase of 1.3 degrees over the last century is not "alarming" then you've got a screw loose or you simply do not care.

T
K
O

I repeat:
Then assume Normal Average is 15°C, or 273.16°K + 15°C = 288.16°K
Current Maximum Temperature 1880 to 2007 = 287.76°K
Assumed Normal average minus Current Maximum = 288.16°K - 287.76°K = 0.40°K
Then the Current Maximum Temperature is 0.40°K below the Assumed Normal Temperature

The temperatures 20,000 years ago are irrelevant to whether or not human caused emissions of CO2 are the primary cause of global warming in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Again: Why are all the CO2 emission alarmists alarmed?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:09 pm
It is relevant. It gives us a picture of what natural heating and cooling trends are without human factors. It is very relavant.

Save your propoganda terms like "alarmists" for elsewhere BTW.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:25 pm
ican wrote :

Quote:
Yes, I agree that businesses are ill prepared for climate changes of the magnitude predicted for the predicted increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. Also they are ill prepared for the probable magnitude of error in those predictions.

businesses are relatively free to decide if they want to adopt certain new practices are not .

to use a somewhat extreme examples : when transport by railways and automobiles started to become more popular , builders of horse-drawn wagons were free to keep manufacturing those wagons . some switched over to build conveyances that were now more in demand - locomotives , railway-carriages ... ... others kept manufacturing horse-drawn wagons and many of those became extinct quickly .

somewhat similarly , busineses that change production to "greener" methods may become more attractive to investors than those sticking with outdated methods - the future will pobably tell .

i doubt that automobile manufactures are producing more fuel-efficient (and otherwise greener vehicles) just because they want to be nice to the consumer .
they exist to make money , and when they see that their competitors are begining to cut into their market , they'll hustle to try and regain lost territory .

THE BIG THREE (automanufacturers) provide a good example imo .
they have started to realize that more and more consumers are buying japanese cars - for whatever reason .
so they are now beginning to compete with the japanese automobile manufactures - sometimes even selling their competitors cars with their own badge stuck on it . :wink:
they sure aren't doing it to help the japanese , are they ?
kind of telling , isn't it ?
hbg
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:51 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
It is relevant. It gives us a picture of what natural heating and cooling trends are without human factors. It is very relavant.

T
K
O

Unless you have evidence that temperatures between 20,000 years ago and 100 years ago never exceeded 9 degrees above the maximum temperature 20,000 years ago, the temperature 20,000 years ago is irrelevant.

However, if the maximum temperature within the intervening years say 100 to 200 years ago was lower than the maximum temperature within say the last 100 years, then it would be interesting to compare both maximums to determine by how much they differ. That difference could then be divided by the number of intervening years to determine an effective annual rate of maximum temperature change from the previous one to the the current maximum temperature.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:57 pm
hamburger wrote:

they have started to realize that more and more consumers are buying japanese cars - for whatever reason .
so they are now beginning to compete with the japanese automobile manufactures - sometimes even selling their competitors cars with their own badge stuck on it . :wink:
hbg

Long before the human caused CO2 emissions scare became widespread, people were buying Japanese instead of American cars to save on the cost of cars and the cost of fuel. I think that trend will continue regardless of whether the CO2 emissions scare ever materializes into a well supported reality.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:18 pm
ican wrote :

Quote:

Quote:
hamburger wrote:

so they are now beginning to compete with the japanese automobile manufactures - sometimes even selling their competitors cars with their own badge stuck on it .
hbg

Long before the human caused CO2 emissions scare became widespread, people were buying Japanese instead of American cars to save on the cost of cars and the cost of fuel. I think that trend will continue regardless of whether the CO2 emissions scare ever materializes into a well supported reality.

my point was simply that manufacturers will change/adjust when they realize that they are losing marketshare .
i'm sure that if consumers get on the "GW BANDWAGON" , manufacturers will want to make sure that they'll get a share of the pie .
already , general motors is producing several hybrid cars - i'm reasonably sure that they don't want to fall behind the japanese again .
hbg
0 Replies