Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:36 pm
Wow, if TKO is an aerospace engineer, we can expect a lot more pertinent data from him than what we have seen so far huh? I'm major impressed. I am really disappointed that he so far hasn't been sharing that with us, but rather seems to focus on trying to pick fights with those who are bringing some serious food for thought to the discussion.

Oh well. Some contribute.
Some nitpick.

Such is life on the internet.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:11 pm
MY SPECULATION BASED ON THE ABOVE ARTICLE POSTED BY HIGH SEAS

Quote:
The greenhouse effect.
The effective temperature of Earth is much lower than what we experience. Averaged over all seasons and the entire Earth, the surface temperature of our planet is about 288°K (or 15°C). This difference is in the effect of the heat absorbing components of our atmosphere. This effect is known as the greenhouse effect, referring to the farming practice of warming garden plots by covering them with a glass (or plastic) enclosure.

If it is true that the normal average (as specified) surface temperature of the earth is 288°K, then the current general average surface temperatures 1880 to 2007 are all lower than normal:
Quote:
Difference 1880 to 2007 = 287.76°K - 286.56°K = 1.20°K

If that were all true, then what the hell would all the hullabaloo about earth warming really be about? The earth's surface temperature is doing nothing more than returning to normal!

But like I said at the begiining, this is merely my speculation based on the above article posted by High Seas.
http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/ees/climate/lectures/radiation/index.html
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:46 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:
Yes, add my name to the confused list of people here. diest now claims that man caused co2 is not the entire blame for global warming, or that the global warmers haven't been claiming that. Perhaps it is only 99% to blame or 80% to blame, or maybe 51% to blame, but anyway we have been led to believe it is the primary blame. If there is another huge cause that has been talked about by your global warming pundits, let us know diest. And can you tell us the percentage of blame? I haven't heard any other ones out of you guys. If its 99%, what is the other 1%?

You idiot.

I nor anybody else has ever said that CO2 is the ONLY cause of CC. I asked you to provide a quote from anybody claiming that CO2 was the exclusive cause of CC.

Okay, I am waiting for you to name the other causes, along with the percentages of influence, and why. If you have models or calculations to prove the CO2 link, and you can also cite the data where other causes have been documented and quantified, just as the CO2 supposedly has, then I will be anxiously awaiting all of this science that is so established.

Quote:
You nor anybody else has been able to provide a single quote establishing that anyone believes this ridiculous idea. You are now back pedaling try to hide behind the "way the media" portrays the issue. I'm not patient enough to deal with your misunderstandings of this topic or explain how your perceptions of the media around this subject are your short-comings.

I'm not the one claiming the other causes have been so accurately reported by your pundits, it is you. So I await the data you claim has been claimed.

Quote:
I believe that CO2 is a primary cause, not the ONLY cause. I have never claimed it to be the exclusive cause, EVER. Every climate scientist in the world independent of their beliefs in AGW or CC will tell you that the climate model is not as simple as being governed by any single factor. that is why I laugh at the claims of solar radiance.

Until you can provide a quote stating that somebody believes that CO2 is the ONLY cause of CC, you are simply full of ****.

Happy Valentines Day,
If it is not now the exclusive cause as you now claim, then is it the primary cause, or are you now going to claim it is only a minor cause? If there are other causes, then cite them. Speaking of back pedaling, I suspect there is now a bit of it going on, diest.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:25 pm
Diest TKO wrote:

I believe that CO2 is a primary cause, not the ONLY cause. I have never claimed it to be the exclusive cause, EVER. Every climate scientist in the world independent of their beliefs in AGW or CC will tell you that the climate model is not as simple as being governed by any single factor. that is why I laugh at the claims of solar radiance.
...T
K
O

I understand you to believe "that CO2 is a primary cause, not the ONLY cause."

Consequently, you do not believe CO2 is the exclusive cause.

Please name what you think are some of the other primary causes, and some of the secondary and/or trivial causes of climate change or of global warming,
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:45 pm
Unless I read the data wrong, it looks like January, 2008 is the coldest January worldwide since January, 1982, which was 26 years ago. This is average surface temperature worldwide at 2.69 C. Last year, it was 4.54, almost 2 degrees C warmer. So all those pictures of snow everywhere apparently meant something.

What happened, did CO2 emissions drop precipitously, or what?

http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/NCDCabsLand.html
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:29 pm
okie wrote:
If it is not now the exclusive cause as you now claim, then is it the primary cause, or are you now going to claim it is only a minor cause? If there are other causes, then cite them. Speaking of back pedaling, I suspect there is now a bit of it going on, diest.

By "now" you are implying that I have changed my stance or recently amended my beliefs. This is absolutely false, and in no way supported. Provide a quote where I have ever stated that CO2 is the EXCLUSIVE/ONLY cause, or promptly retract your false statement. I'll honor no requests from you until then.

ican711nm wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

...T
K
O

I understand you to believe "that CO2 is a primary cause, not the ONLY cause."

Consequently, you do not believe CO2 is the exclusive cause.

Please name what you think are some of the other primary causes, and some of the secondary and/or trivial causes of climate change or of global warming,

Other factors in no particular order...

Methane, aerosols, land ice, forrestation/deforrestation, water pollution, volcanic activity, solar radiation, global procession, orbit variance.

I'm sure I've left some out. I'm sure some are yet to be discovered.

What should be discussed is the method of decoding the smaller black boxes in the understanding of a climate model. While some factors may simply resolve to higher order terms and therefore be considered insignificant in terms of predicting short term changes in climate.

Say what you like about a small average change in temperature over the globe, it won't change the fact that Missouri used to be covered in snow for months as a child, and now we may get three periods of snowfall all winter. The same thing is happenning in many places over the globe.

Skeptics have one thing right: The climate does change naturally. What they seem to fail to grasp is the timescale at which changes are taking place now.

T
K
O
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:12 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
High Seas - You should pause before you post. Radiance is a proper term too, you dimwit, so piss off. I'm well versed in thermodynamics and astromechanics. I'm an Aerospace Engineer. Rolling Eyes

Well, that settles it.Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm trying to recall the apt phrase of Charlie Wilson (former CEO of GM)

"Every Cock has his own dunghill, however small it might be".
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:23 am
If you ever read your own cites completely, you'd know why this year is colder than average, okie. One of them a few pages back told you why, and it was--surprise--just what I've told you too several times. This is a la Nina winter, and spring. The next couple months will be colder than average and then it will revert to the (steadily rising) mean. La Nina years--colder than normal. El Nino years--warmer than normal. That's WEATHER. They're temporary phenomena. Their effects are predictable. They pass. The five year average, which among other things discounts the temporary in order to focus on the long term trends, keeps rising.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:51 am
username wrote:
The five year average, which among other things discounts the temporary in order to focus on the long term trends, keeps rising.
NO it does not ! According to the CRU or satellites, it's even cooling over the past 5 years (see graph).

BTW, you're right that La Nina influences temperatures. But what you may not know is that there are muti-decadal alternances of oceanic phases of about 30 years:
- 1910-1945 was El nino dominated and there was global warming (remember the Dust bowl)
- 1945-1975 was La Nina dominated and the world was cooling (1975 was the heighest of the global cooling scare)
- 1975-2000 was El nino dominated and there was GW
- now the Earth is NOT warming while anthropogenic emissions increase exponentially (+3%/y).

So the IPCC' mantra "Most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations" is more and more unbearable. Reality is cruel to doom prophets.

http://pichuile.free.fr/images/temp_sat_mens3.png
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 04:07 am
Diest TKO wrote:

Skeptics have one thing right: The climate does change naturally. What they seem to fail to grasp is the timescale at which changes are taking place now.
TKO, look at the change rates of past climates, for example in icecores for less than 10.000 years ago, and stop making demonstrably false claims please.
If you are flatly wrong in such simple cases, how can we be sure you may be right in something as complex as climate systems ?
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:33 am
um, mini, I look at your graph and the trend in each measurement seems to be rising. would you care to tell me why you think they're falling?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:20 am
username wrote:
um, mini, I look at your graph and the trend in each measurement seems to be rising. would you care to tell me why you think they're falling?
The prior graph was for the Northern hemisphere, which is (slightly) warming over the past 5 years, while the SH has been cooling (BTW, not really what might be called a "global" warming, is it ?).

If you look at the global temperature from 3 different sources below (curiously, global temperature is the arithmetic mean of SH and NH temperatures, which amount to adding apples to orange but well, it's climate science), the planet is slightly cooling over the past 5 years.
The data are publicly available. But don't worry if the media don't tell you Wink
http://pichuile.free.fr/images/temp_annual.png
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:32 am
miniTAX wrote:

If you look at the global temperature from 3 different sources below (curiously, global temperature is the arithmetic mean of SH and NH temperatures, which amount to adding apples to orange but well, it's climate science), the planet is slightly cooling over the past 5 years.
The data are publicly available. But don't worry if the media don't tell you Wink
[img]http:///images/temp_annual.png[/img]

Besides that I've my doubts that a period of five years proves a lot ...

You quote from a free storing side, without sources ..... besides on a few "www.climat-sceptique.com".

The original publicly available data would have been ... not so irritating.

But that's science, I suppose.

Oh, and since you're just here, minitax: I've asked last week an electrician in Nice about fluolescence bulbs and dimming them: you get in France the very same brands as we do, as long as we do (and profesional businesses had them even earlier). (According to my host, the one in my room was installed more than three years ago.)
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
No problem Walter, re 5 years, I was just responding to username and the graph is generated by an automated script by me.
For the data source, it's well known but here they are again so you can spread the good news. Laughing

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/anomalies/monthly.land_and_ocean.90S.90N.df_1901-2000mean.dat
http://www.remss.com/pub/msu/monthly_time_series/RSS_Monthly_MSU_AMSU_Channel_TLT_Anomalies_Land_and_Ocean_v03_1.txt
http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/t2lt/uahncdc.lt
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/hadcrut3vgl.txt
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:50 am
username wrote:
If you ever read your own cites completely, you'd know why this year is colder than average, okie. One of them a few pages back told you why, and it was--surprise--just what I've told you too several times. This is a la Nina winter, and spring. The next couple months will be colder than average and then it will revert to the (steadily rising) mean. La Nina years--colder than normal. El Nino years--warmer than normal. That's WEATHER. They're temporary phenomena. Their effects are predictable. They pass. The five year average, which among other things discounts the temporary in order to focus on the long term trends, keeps rising.

While the effects of La Ninha are - to a very limited extent - predictable, the occurrence of the shift in Pacific currents that causes them is not. The highly non-linear complexities of the dynamics of oceanic currents, as well as those occurring in the atmosphere, (in short the weather) are such that their future dynamics and states cannot accurately be predicted. The results of numerical modelling of such phenomina may look like currents and weather, but after a fairly short period they bear only a random relationship to what actually occurs. This phenominon is called chaos by mathematicians. The best we can do is produce educated guesses about some future average state, but such things are hardly scientific predictions.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:51 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Oh, and since you're just here, minitax: I've asked last week an electrician in Nice about fluolescence bulbs and dimming them: you get in France the very same brands as we do, as long as we do (and profesional businesses had them even earlier). (According to my host, the one in my room was installed more than three years ago.)

I've asked a store vendor and he says you have both (dimmable and not dimmable), even if it's not so clearly labelled.
Anyway, I have none which works reliably with my presence detector: too much electromagnetic interference. Well, just a matter of time I presume.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:14 pm
Thanks.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 04:27 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
username wrote:

While the effects of La Ninha are - to a very limited extent - predictable, the occurrence of the shift in Pacific currents that causes them is not. The highly non-linear complexities of the dynamics of oceanic currents, as well as those occurring in the atmosphere, (in short the weather) are such that their future dynamics and states cannot accurately be predicted. The results of numerical modelling of such phenomina may look like currents and weather, but after a fairly short period they bear only a random relationship to what actually occurs. This phenominon is called chaos by mathematicians. The best we can do is produce educated guesses about some future average state, but such things are hardly scientific predictions.

New Mexico is a classic example. A La Nina year is supposed to signal much warmer and drier than normal winter conditions here. This year, in a relatively strong La Nina year, we have been colder than a witch's elbow for much of the winter and we're buried in snow like we haven't seen in the last decade or so.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
Diest TKO wrote:

Other factors in no particular order...

Methane, aerosols, land ice, forrestation/deforrestation, water pollution, volcanic activity, solar radiation, global procession, orbit variance.

I'm sure I've left some out. I'm sure some are yet to be discovered.

T
K
O

Okay, so what percentage or influence is calculated for each of the factors you list, Diest? This should be a piece of cake for you, given that the influence of man produced CO2 has been pinned down so well. Keep in mind here that you brought this up about other factors, so you owe it to all of us to prove that all of those influences have been claimed, and I assume calculated and published, otherwise how would you ever be able to determine the scope of man caused CO2 influence?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:43 pm
username wrote:

So, was the last la Nina 26 years ago? Remember, this January was the coldest since 1982, 26 years ago.
0 Replies