Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

ican711nm

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:13 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's amazing the gambles some are willing to take in the long run with the enviorment, but never on other issues, such as social ones.
The gamblers are those who want to risk billions $ in a ressource scarce world for unknown results to "stabilize the climate", a trade war with the Chinese or the Indian, the energy policy decisions dictated by corrupt UN's non-elected bureaucrats for a global gouvernance to comply with a central planning protocol which has PROVED to be an utter failure.
Talk about the precautionnary principle Shocked

Same people will risk billions EVERY MONTH on war with hardly a second thought. That's exactly what I mean.

Billions is nothing in world terms. 100 billion dollars isn't even 1/30th of our proposed budget next year. To claim that it's not worth spending money on the future to try and hedge our bets against catastrophe is ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn

Terrorists are a far greater risk to the welfare of the civilized world than is human caused excessively warm climate conditions. Hell, it's far more risky to drive down an interstate highway during a rush hour than it is to worry about a 31 year global temperature increase of less than two-thirds of a degree Celsius. Prior to 1976 for a 100 years there was even less significant temperature rises and falls. But we and a great many in the rest of the world have already experienced the consequences of merely watching terrorists satisfy their insane lusts and appetites for mass murder of the rest of us.

It appears from your terrified reckoning that we must curtail human efforts for more energy production ... correction ... curtail human efforts for even maintaining human efforts for current energy production. That is ridiculous!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:20 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's amazing the gambles some are willing to take in the long run with the enviorment, but never on other issues, such as social ones.
The gamblers are those who want to risk billions $ in a ressource scarce world for unknown results to "stabilize the climate", a trade war with the Chinese or the Indian, the energy policy decisions dictated by corrupt UN's non-elected bureaucrats for a global gouvernance to comply with a central planning protocol which has PROVED to be an utter failure.
Talk about the precautionnary principle Shocked

Same people will risk billions EVERY MONTH on war with hardly a second thought. That's exactly what I mean.

Billions is nothing in world terms. 100 billion dollars isn't even 1/30th of our proposed budget next year. To claim that it's not worth spending money on the future to try and hedge our bets against catastrophe is ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn

Terrorists are a far greater risk to the welfare of the civilized world than is human caused excessively warm climate conditions. Hell, it's far more risky to drive down an interstate highway during a rush hour than it is to worry about a 31 year global temperature increase of less than two-thirds of a degree Celsius. Prior to 1976 for a 100 years there was even less significant temperature rises and falls. But we and a great many in the rest of the world have already experienced the consequences of merely watching terrorists satisfy their insane lusts and appetites for mass murder of the rest of us.

Terrible analogy. It's far more risky to drive down the highway then to worry about terrorism as well. I disagree with you that terrorism is more dangerous then excessive warming, as terrorism will never anything more then an annoyance to the human race. There is a chance that climate change will be far worse. I don't know what the odds of that are, or if it would happen in 20 years, 200 years, or not at all. But it's worth spending money on trying to keep from happening.

This part is dreck -

Quote:
It appears from your terrified reckoning that we must curtail human efforts for more energy production ... correction ... curtail human efforts for even maintaining human efforts for current energy production. That is ridiculous!

I never said anything of the sort. Please confine your speculation to your own reckonings, as you are pretty bad at projecting others'.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:32 pm
ican711nm wrote:
[
However, I cannot prove any of that, and no one thus far has proven any differently.

No, you mean you refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary even if it is supported by over 100 years of science.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:34 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

There is a chance that climate change will be far worse. I don't know what the odds of that are, or if it would happen in 20 years, 200 years, or not at all. But it's worth spending money on trying to keep from happening.

You don't even know if spending money on keeping it from happening by switching to alternate energy sources will actually keep it from happening.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
This part is dreck -

Quote:

I never said anything of the sort. Please confine your speculation to your own reckonings, as you are pretty bad at projecting others'.

Cycloptichorn

Right, you never said it. But what you just said nevertheless implies exactly that consequence. Spending money on keeping it from happening when you are ignorant of what is really causing the warming will result in curtailing energy production and/or raising its cost by using more expensive substitutes for producing it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:39 pm
Cyclops and I aren't agreeing much right now, but I agree with him here. Terrorism is not anything for the average American to worry about. The people who should be worried are people are the rich folk. Terrorism is horrible for the Dow Jones.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:57 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
[
However, I cannot prove any of that, and no one thus far has proven any differently.

No, you mean you refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary even if it is supported by over 100 years of science.

What exactly about global climate change do you believe is supported by 100 years of science?

Please begin here:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/2007/ann/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
I have many more graphs on the subject should you want them.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 10:58 pm
Driving down a highway is an acceptable risk, due to accidents. Terrorists are not behind accidents. It is instead calculated mayhem, and why we should sit here and accept it as another risk is silly. And just because it isn't a great risk now means nothing. If they get a hold of the wrong weapons, we are talking about the destruction of entire cities or regions. That is not the risk that I think is wise to accept.

Comparing all of this to climate change is silly, worse than silly.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:12 am
maporsche wrote:
The people who should be worried are people are the rich folk. Terrorism is horrible for the Dow Jones.

Einstein relativity law strikes: it's horrible to become 50x richer than Joe Average rather than 100x in good old times. Laughing
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:18 am
But because such a pattern leads to warmer than normal conditions in areas where the greatest centers of human induced global warming information comes out of, western Europe and the eastern part of North America, no attention is being called to the fact that the winter this year does have outstandingly large areas of colder than normal temperatures and in areas, the vast expanses of the tropical Pacific, and the vast expanse of the air above us."

http://pichuile.free.fr/images/temp_sat_mens.png
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:45 am
That is interesting minitax, only if you can provide the MSU readings for 1949-1950 so we can see the comparison.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:59 am
ican...

Your argument is invalid because you refuse to include other factors that are KNOWN to cause temperature to fluctuate.

Let's apply your argument to something you claim to know..
Assume that elevation affects air density.

But I can show that on certain days the air density at a higher elevation is NOT lower than it is at a lower elevation. Following YOUR logic that would show that elevation has no effect on air density.

Heck - I will even make up an algebraic formula that even you can understand.
E = elevation above sea level
D = air density (in Pascals)

E=44.3308-4.94654*D^.234969 (You might even recognize my equation as the real thing.)

But for some reason that equation doesn't work for all altitudes on all days. I guess that shows that elevation doesn't effect air density. There is no cause and effect. All I have to do to make sure the equation doesn't work is not include humidity and temperature when calculating the air densities. This is the same thing you are doing in your silly made up equation by not including the factors KNOWN to affect global temperature like solar radiation.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:04 am
parados wrote:
That is interesting minitax, only if you can provide the MSU readings for 1949-1950 so we can see the comparison.

What for parados? You would then say it's just another Exxon's plot to deny AGW :wink:
BTW, what the weatherman from Acuweather told about is the PDO, whose changes are consistent with MSU observations and whose data exist for the 49-50 period. But I presume it's a too inconvenient story for you.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:23 am
miniTAX wrote:
maporsche wrote:
The people who should be worried are people are the rich folk. Terrorism is horrible for the Dow Jones.

Einstein relativity law strikes: it's horrible to become 50x richer than Joe Average rather than 100x in good old times. Laughing

Are you saying that rich people AREN'T worried about losing half of their investments?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:28 pm
looking for thermal heat extraction information , i came across a website of the dept. of mech. engineering at the university of strathclyde .

not having any kind of formal science or engineering background , i am not able to properly evaluate the usefulness of the information .

i found it interesting enough however , to give a link here for anyone who might want to review their findings .

go to the website and click on "energy projects" in bottom panel .
hbg

ENERGY PROJECTS
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:06 pm
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:

What for parados? You would then say it's just another Exxon's plot to deny AGW :wink:
BTW, what the weatherman from Acuweather told about is the PDO, whose changes are consistent with MSU observations and whose data exist for the 49-50 period. But I presume it's a too inconvenient story for you.

Really minTAX. Interesting. Why didn't you post a graph of their data? I would love to see the comparison to the MSU graph you posted.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:43 pm
parados wrote:
ican...

Your argument is invalid because you refuse to include other factors that are KNOWN to cause temperature to fluctuate.

Let's apply your argument to something you claim to know..
Assume that elevation affects air density.

But I can show that on certain days the air density at a higher elevation is NOT lower than it is at a lower elevation. Following YOUR logic that would show that elevation has no effect on air density.

Heck - I will even make up an algebraic formula that even you can understand.
E = elevation above sea level
D = air density (in Pascals)

E=44.3308-4.94654*D^.234969 (You might even recognize my equation as the real thing.)

But for some reason that equation doesn't work for all altitudes on all days. I guess that shows that elevation doesn't effect air density. There is no cause and effect. All I have to do to make sure the equation doesn't work is not include humidity and temperature when calculating the air densities. This is the same thing you are doing in your silly made up equation by not including the factors KNOWN to affect global temperature like solar radiation.

Thank you! You have made my point better than I did. Yes, we can accurately presume and express a relationship among any variables we choose, as long as we do not take into account the full range of all the valid significant cause and effect factors. That kind of presumption stuff is exactly what you are doing when you presume human emissions of CO2 are the primary or even partial cause of global warming and other climate changes.

Here's another presumed relationship analogous to the one you presume. It presumes that CO2 ppm increases are causing life expectancy increases in the USA. This presumed relationship matches the actual data only for the years !976 and 2007.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html
Life Expectancy at Birth for all USA races and both sexes, 1976-2004
1976=72.9 years; 2004=77.9+0.57=78.47 years; 78.47-72.9 = 5.57 years.
C76 = 330.0 ppm
L76 = 72.9 years

C = C76 + Y x 55/31 = 330.0 + 1.774Y.
Y = (C-330)/1.774
L = L76 + Y x 5.57/31 = 72.9 + 0.1797Y.
Y = (L - 72.9)/0.1797
(C-330)/1.774 = (L - 72.9)/0.1797
L = (0.1797(C-330)/1.774) +72.9
L= 0.101297(C-330) + 72.9
L = 0.101297C -33.42801 +72.9

L = 0.101297C + 39.47199

L = 33.42801 + 39.47199 = 72.9 @ C76 = 330
L = 38.999345 + 39.47199= 78.47 @ C07 = 385

In otherwords, the fact that one can express a particular relationship that is valid for some of the significant data, does not mean that relationship is valid for all the significant data.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:02 pm
Which goes back to my earlier statement.

You are completely ignorant about statistics Ican.

You CAN figure out if something is affecting something else if you account for all known variables in your statistical analysis.

Your idiotic claim that you have repeated more than once that there is no evidence of humans causing warming is still just that. Idiotic. You have not responded when you were given the information. You instead have continued to pretend you know something about science and statistics when it is obvious you don't.

Your claim about "life expectency" ignores all other variables so is invalid. It is bull **** which seems to be the only thing you can fling around.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:06 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Thank you! You have made my point better than I did.

My point, which you seemed to not understand, is if we apply your logic then there is no reason to figure air density before taking off since elevation has no bearing on air density. I am sure anyone considering flying with you would question your ability to pilot anything based on your arguments on this thread.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:09 pm
Quote:
That kind of presumption stuff is exactly what you are doing when you presume human emissions of CO2 are the primary or even partial cause of global warming and other climate changes.

This statement of yours MIGHT have some validity if you can name the factors NOT included in the warming calculations. I look forward to your science. It is YOU that is NOT including factors. I can name several of them in the case of your statements. Name the factors NOT included in the IPCC reports conclusion on human being a significant contributor to warming.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:18 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:
That kind of presumption stuff is exactly what you are doing when you presume human emissions of CO2 are the primary or even partial cause of global warming and other climate changes.

This statement of yours MIGHT have some validity if you can name the factors NOT included in the warming calculations. I look forward to your science. It is YOU that is NOT including factors. I can name several of them in the case of your statements. Name the factors NOT included in the IPCC reports conclusion on human being a significant contributor to warming.

NO! It's your turn now. You have too long delayed naming the factors that ARE included in the IPCC reports conclusion on humans being a significant contributor to warming.
0 Replies