Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

ican711nm

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:59 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Looks like you let go of your old standards old man. I'm fine with the theory of AGW/CC.
T
K
O

As I already said, I made an hypothesis.
hpothesis=a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical and/or impirical consequences.

Why are you fine with the theory of AGW/CC? Is it because you are drawn to think that what you theorize (or others theorize for you) is law?

Because changing the balance of a closed system has effects. There's no doubt that this is true. It's only debatable how much of an effect actions have.

Cycloptichorn

The globe (i.e., the earth's content, surface and atmosphere) is not a closed system. It is an open system that is significantly affected by that which is inside it (for example, its hot cold, solid gaseous liquid contents, humans, other organisms, volcanoes, earthquakes, its other natural properties) and that which is outside it (for example, the sun, cosmic rays, meteorites, other planets, the natural properties of the rest of the cosmos).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:06 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Looks like you let go of your old standards old man. I'm fine with the theory of AGW/CC.
T
K
O

As I already said, I made an hypothesis.
hpothesis=a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical and/or impirical consequences.

Why are you fine with the theory of AGW/CC? Is it because you are drawn to think that what you theorize (or others theorize for you) is law?

Because changing the balance of a closed system has effects. There's no doubt that this is true. It's only debatable how much of an effect actions have.

Cycloptichorn

The globe (i.e., the earth's content, surface and atmosphere) is not a closed system. It is an open system that is significantly affected by that which is inside it (for example, its hot cold, solid gaseous liquid contents, humans, other organisms, volcanoes, earthquakes, its other natural properties) and that which is outside it (for example, the sun, cosmic rays, meteorites, other planets, the natural properties of the rest of the cosmos).

Barring natural disasters such as the sun going out, or a large meteor strike, the Earth's ecosphere is generally considered a closed system. It is arguable that it is not perfectly closed, but it is for all intents and purposes.

Volcanoes and earthquakes, humans, gases, water - all part of the closed system. Barring a meteor strike, the amount of matter that makes up the earth does not change and the amount of energy entering the system is relatively constant.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:10 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Okie, Is this what you want?

Yes, your graph appears to show an "alarming" rise of 0.4 C since 1880.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:17 pm
okie wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Okie, Is this what you want?

Yes, your graph appears to show an "alarming" rise of 0.4 C since 1880.

So then, what you are saying is that Missouri's climate has only changed 0.4 C since 1880?

What about the climates of areas with land ice? Melting and freezing seasons by time and frequency?

I'll ask again a simple bit of math.

Please take the average of the following sets of numbers

Then I'll ask what the significance of averages is when climate become more irratic not more moderate.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:34 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Barring a meteor strike, the amount of matter that makes up the earth does not change and the amount of energy entering the system is relatively constant.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

And climate is relatively constant also, but not perfectly constant, just as the amount of energy entering the system is not perfectly constant.

You just acknowledge the flaws in your own reasoning.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:37 am
Global meltdown: scientists isolate areas most at risk of climate change
Quote:
Scientists have long agreed that climate change could have a profound impact on the planet; from melting ice sheets and withering rainforests, to flash floods and droughts.

Now a team of climate experts has ranked the most fragile and vulnerable regions on the planet, and warned they are in danger of sudden and catastrophic collapse before the end of the century.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7375/90860868bu1.th.jpg
The Guardian, 05.02.08, page 3

Quote:
Explainer: What could happen next
If greenhouse gas emissions continue unchecked, the global average temperature will reach 2C above pre-industrial levels by 2050, according to the government's 2006 Stern report on climate change.

One of the first impacts will be droughts and floods, as rainfall increases at high latitudes and drops in the tropics. Some glaciers will disappear, though crop yields in some countries could rise, scientists believe.

Last year, a report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, concluded that human activity was "very likely" to be behind most of the warming seen in recent decades. It predicted a rise of between 2.4C and 6.4C by 2100.

The most likely rise, of 4C by the end of the century, would cause droughts across Africa, and a fall in harvests of 15% to 35%. Globally, crop yields would fall 10%.

Sea levels would rise by up to 59cm, with Bangladesh and Vietnam among the worst hit, along with coastal cities such as New York, London, Tokyo, Kolkata and Karachi. In Britain alone, there would be 1.8 million people at risk of flooding. The western Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets would begin to melt irreversibly and Europe would lose 80% of its Alpine glaciers. Across the Arctic, half of the tundra is at risk.

A 4C rise is predicted to drive 20% to 50% of land species to extinction and put 80m more Africans at risk of malaria as mosquitoes thrive.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:41 am
Diest TKO wrote:
[I'll ask again a simple bit of math.

Then I'll ask what the significance of averages is when climate become more irratic not more moderate.

T
K
O

Your question has no practical or fair comparison to the subject we are talking about. Weather or climate has no normal situation, only averages. If anything, your question does illustrate the flaws in your own arguments. You cannot use an average to illustrate that weather or climate is abnormal, if that is what you are attempting to do.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:44 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Barring a meteor strike, the amount of matter that makes up the earth does not change and the amount of energy entering the system is relatively constant.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

And climate is relatively constant also, but not perfectly constant, just as the amount of energy entering the system is not perfectly constant.

You just acknowledge the flaws in your own reasoning.

Well, let me as you: what has changed that could effect our environmental balance, recently, say over the last 500 years or so?

There's no flaw in my reasoning. I've never claimed that the environment was perfectly constant.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:54 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Well, let me as you: what has changed that could effect our environmental balance, recently, say over the last 500 years or so?

There's no flaw in my reasoning. I've never claimed that the environment was perfectly constant.

Cycloptichorn

Not much. And the climate has not changed enough to amount to a hill of beans in my opinion. CO2 is a very minor player compared to water vapor, which we know next to nothing about. We know that CO2 was once much much higher than it is now, without man. And we do know that the sun's intensity has changed, which does correlate with a very small rise in measured temperatures.

Pending doom from rising oceans is not happening, much to the frustration of doomsdayers, and probably never will.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:57 am
Good thing I'm not a doom-sayer, then!

This tho

Quote:
We know that CO2 was once much much higher than it is now, without man.

Not during a time when we could have breathed the air!!

lol

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:03 am
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
[I'll ask again a simple bit of math.

T
K
O

Your question has no practical or fair comparison to the subject we are talking about. Weather or climate has no normal situation, only averages. If anything, your question does illustrate the flaws in your own arguments. You cannot use an average to illustrate that weather or climate is abnormal, if that is what you are attempting to do.

No. That is what you and Ican attempt to do. I wish to illustrate how measuring averages disguises change.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:09 am
You need to do some averaging, otherwise the yoyo of readings would cause daily headlines to say the climate is heating up, the climate is cooling down, day after day. With every storm or warm spell, the science would change. I illustrate your premise to be foolish by taking it to the extreme. Averages are important, they just need to be used logically.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:32 am
I'm not sure what newspapers you read, but everyone I read reports the actual temp, not the average thus far over the year.

That would be useless.
K
O
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:55 am
Diest TKO wrote:
I'm not sure what newspapers you read, but everyone I read reports the actual temp, not the average thus far over the year.

That would be useless.
K
O
You mean global temperature which is the arithmetic mean of Northern and Southern hemispheres as provided by the 5 existing organisations, is useless ?
BTW, I agree with you. Currently, NH is warming, SH is cooling so there isn't much statistical meaning for global T !
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:13 am
In terms of lifestyle and planning ahead say for the drive to work, the average temp would not be very useful.

Think otherwise?
K
O
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:23 am
Diest TKO wrote:
In terms of lifestyle and planning ahead say for the drive to work, the average temp would not be very useful.

Think otherwise?
K
O
In fact, temperature is not very useful. Windiness, cloudiness, precipitations or extreme weather are much more pertinent trends.
In fact, it's not even useful for 99% homo modernicus except for leisure activities.
Think otherwise ?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:28 am
A global average temp of about 15 C might suggest that we should grab our coats everyday. Truth is, a global average is decieving in illustrating the EXTREMELY dynamic tempurature distribution across the globe. An average also says nothing about how the distribution changes over time.

T
K
O
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:57 am
Diest TKO wrote:
A global average temp of about 15 C might suggest that we should grab our coats everyday.
That's a bizarre claim. Maybe you're an exception but people, that is 99% of mankind, don't need a thermometer or weather bulletin to know when to grab a coat or an umbrella.

Diest TKO wrote:

Truth is, a global average is decieving in illustrating the EXTREMELY dynamic tempurature distribution across the globe. An average also says nothing about how the distribution changes over time.
So why all the fuss about a "global" warming of 1°F per century ?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:37 am
miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
A global average temp of about 15 C might suggest that we should grab our coats everyday.
That's a bizarre claim. Maybe you're an exception but people, that is 99% of mankind, don't need a thermometer or weather bulletin to know when to grab a coat or an umbrella.

You're making my point for me. The point is that specific changes in local areas is where the real signs of change are going to appear. You're right, we can certainly tell when our local climate is changing.

miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

Truth is, a global average is decieving in illustrating the EXTREMELY dynamic tempurature distribution across the globe. An average also says nothing about how the distribution changes over time.
So why all the fuss about a "global" warming of 1°F per century ?

You're dense comrade.

It's more than the average, it's the variation. That's why I gave the series of numbers, to show that a large variation can represent itself as a only a small change in the average.

T
K
O
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 04:55 am
Diest TKO wrote:
You're right, we can certainly tell when our local climate is changing.
"Telling" is not science. Mostly it's emotion & and subjectivity. And by definition, telling about the climate concerns a human lifetime, a blip on the climate radar.

Diest TKO wrote:

It's more than the average, it's the variation. That's why I gave the series of numbers, to show that a large variation can represent itself as a only a small change in the average.
What do you mean TKO, that the current climate is more "variable" than in the past ?
Where are your data, please, say eg in the IPCC reports ?
0 Replies