O
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:24 pm
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I am absolutely certain the florescent bulbs do not put out the same level of light that the incandescent bulbs do.

You get those bulbs from 2300 K to 7000 k - no difference to traditional bulbs at all.

I can put incandescent bulbs into the ceiling light assembly in my office and need no supplement light to work. I replaced with the largest fluorescent bulbs the assembly can take and I do need supplement light to work. You can tell me that there is no difference til the cows come home, but I'm telling you, the fluorescent lights are not as efficient as the incandescent bulbs in that fan/light assembly.

It's called LUMENS Foxfyre. Flourescents can and do produce the amount of lumens that incandescent lights do. Flourescents also produce light in color temperatures that incandescents can't.

Most fixtures are rated by watts. A 75 watt incandescent puts out about 1200 lumens. An 18 watt flourescent puts out about 1100 watts. But in a 75watt fixture you can put a 75 watt flourescent which means you can get a lot more lumens from flourescents with a lot less energy use. If you put a 27 watt flourescent in a 75watt fixture you will get 1750 lumens for about 1/3 of the energy 50% more lumens, 33% of the energy than you would with a 75watt incandescent. Most ceiling fans that I know of are rated for 60watts incandescent max which outputs about 870 lumens. An 18watt fluorescent will put out a lot more lumens but not be any larger in size than a standard 60 watt "A" lamp.

I'm sure you are correct. All I know is I need supplemental light with those flourescent bulbs in there and I don't when there are incandescent bulbs in there. I don't evaluate it by any scientific principle. I evaluate it by whether I need to turn on the desk lamp to see well enough to do my work. That doesn't mean I intend to replace the flourescent bulbs. They are more costly but they last a lot longer which might be something for the math crunchers to evaluate as making a light bulb requires energy too. Does it take more energy to make a flourescent bulb than it does to make an incandescent bulb.? If so at what point does the energy savings overcome the extra energy consumed in production?

On a purely personal level, I still wonder if use of fluorescent bulbs in the light/fan assembly PLUS using supplement light on my desk is in fact saving any significant amount of energy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I'm sure you are correct. All I know is I need supplemental light with those flourescent bulbs in there and I don't when there are incandescent bulbs in there. I don't evaluate it by any scientific principle. I evaluate it by whether I need to turn on the desk lamp to see well enough to do my work. That doesn't mean I intend to replace the flourescent bulbs. They are more costly but they last a lot longer which might be something for the math crunchers to evaluate as making a light bulb requires energy too. Does it take more energy to make a flourescent bulb than it does to make an incandescent bulb.? If so at what point does the energy savings overcome the extra energy consumed in production?
I can't help you if you are going to just make **** up. Lumens are lumens whether you want to believe in them or not. Your argument about "energy needed for production" is just BS. The price of the bulb shows it costs less to create than it uses in energy over time. If they sell the bulb for $4, you know damn well they used less than $4 in energy to produce it and get it to your store. The energy cost to produce it is small compared to the cost to ship it around and that cost doesn't change whether it is an incandescent or a flourescent. Any additional energy costs required in the bulb are saved long before you recover the price of the bulb for the simple fact that bulbs are NOT made up entirely of energy.
Changing from a 60 watt incandescent to a 20 watt flourescent will save you 2/3 of the electricty. Assume you pay $7.50 per kwhr, that means in just 16 hours of usage you will save $5 in electrical costs. That means you only need to use the bulb for about 16 hours to recoup any energy used to make it and any extra cost for the flourescent vs an incandescent. That means you save $5 for every 16 hours it lasts after that time.

Quote:

On a purely personal level, I still wonder if use of fluorescent bulbs in the light/fan assembly PLUS using supplement light on my desk is in fact saving any significant amount of energy.
So put in larger bulbs and stop using a light on your desk. This isn't rocket science. It is a simple as changing a light bulb.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:12 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I think that's fairly common knowledge, parados.

The 'K' I used in my above response id 'Kelvin' (Kelvin is used in the measure of the color temperature of light sources), and I'd thaught that was what Foxfyre was referring at.

I know Walter.

Kelvin makes a big difference in LED lighting because the warmer (redder) colors require more energy per lumen.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
out of curiosity checked our CF-bubs in our living room - about 220 sqare feet .
we have 3 table lamps : 1 - 13 w , 1 - 23 w , 1 - 28 w = 64 w .
previously we had 2 - 100 w and 1 - 6o w bulbs = 260 w .
we are certaily getting better lighting now .
(we started out with 3 - 13 w CF-bulbs , but were not satisfied with light level .)

the 64 w we are using now bring us back to how we started out 52 years ago when we arrived in canada : ONE NAKED 60 w bulb hanging from the ceiling Shocked - we were living in a flat at that time .
nine months later we moved into our own appartment : ONE 60 w ceiling bulb with a shade(!) and a double gooseneck lamp with TWO (!) 60 w bulbs = 180 w . were we ever proud ! Laughing

btw i always pencil the date i install a CF-bulb on the side of the socket .
one bulb was installed febr 2003 , the other two in 2004 .

last year we had our kitchen updated and also had the "neon" Laughing tube light over the kitchen sink replaced with a new fitting and tube . the original was installed when we had the house built in 1963 - it was 44 years old - it sometimes hissed a bit :wink: but still provided good light .

our first CF-bulbs were the "circlites" - quite expensive at about $15 each but they lasted for well over TEN years before they needed replacement .

we are certainly very satisfied with CF-bulbs and wouldn't want to go back - but to each his/her own .

we find that we do prefer a bit more light than the tables usually suggest . i'm sure we'll replace the 23 w with a 28 w CF-bulb - those extra 5 w make quite a difference , at little extra energy .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:35 pm
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I can't help you if you are going to just make **** up. Lumens are lumens whether you want to believe in them or not. Your argument about "energy needed for production" is just BS. The price of the bulb shows it costs less to create than it uses in energy over time. If they sell the bulb for $4, you know damn well they used less than $4 in energy to produce it and get it to your store. The energy cost to produce it is small compared to the cost to ship it around and that cost doesn't change whether it is an incandescent or a flourescent. Any additional energy costs required in the bulb are saved long before you recover the price of the bulb for the simple fact that bulbs are NOT made up entirely of energy.
Changing from a 60 watt incandescent to a 20 watt flourescent will save you 2/3 of the electricty. Assume you pay $7.50 per kwhr, that means in just 16 hours of usage you will save $5 in electrical costs. That means you only need to use the bulb for about 16 hours to recoup any energy used to make it and any extra cost for the flourescent vs an incandescent. That means you save $5 for every 16 hours it lasts after that time.

Quote:

So put in larger bulbs and stop using a light on your desk. This isn't rocket science. It is a simple as changing a light bulb.

Excuse me? When you have never been in my office and have no personal knowledge of what I do, where I do it, or under what conditions I do it, your 'making **** up' comment is just stupid. You are welcome to come see me any time and see what I'm talking about. Until then, I suggest a more civil tone would go a long way to giving ANYTHING you say more credibility. I am using the largest bulbs they make for the fixture in the ceiling.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:38 pm
parados wrote:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:39 pm
Not that there's any validity to the idea that CFL lumens are somehow inferior... Laughing

I have over 15 CFL's that I bought 5 years ago in my house. Not a single one has burned out. The money savings are clear for me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:40 pm
parados wrote:
parados wrote:

Quote:
I am using the largest bulbs they make or at least that we could find for the fixture in the ceiling.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:46 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
parados wrote:
parados wrote:

Quote:
I am using the largest bulbs they make or at least that we could find for the fixture in the ceiling.

The largest CF bulbs that fit in a standard light fixture are more than double the lumens of the incandescent rating of ordinary household fixtures. Give me the make and wattage rating of the fixture and I will be happy to send you the information for larger bulbs. You are obviously NOT using the largest bulbs they make since as I have already explained such bulbs would put out 2 or 3 times the lumens of incandescents. I can find these bulbs at Target or Home Depot.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:10 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

If it isn't for the economic damage, why are you Conservatives against being Conservative on this issue? What's the good reason not to play it safe?

I'm interested in you explaining this in depth.

Cycloptichorn

We conservatives are interested in doing things in a truly cleaner fashion. However, we do not want to do things that are alleged to be cleaner when they actually are not. For example, florescent bulbs contain mercury. When broken or otherwise disposed of they cause things to be done in not only a dirtier fashion, but also in a deadly toxic fashion.

The burning of ethanol emits CO2 into the atmosphere, while limiting the supply of plants available for production of other things we want. The construction, transportation, installation, and maintenance of an adequate supply of windmills and radiation panels causes significant CO2 to be emitted into the atmosphere. And, both these alleged solutions raise the cost of providing food, clothing, shelter, transportation, and recreation to such an extent that many of the poorer among us will be deprived of the quality they currently obtain of the same.

So we conservatives want to truly "play it safe" and not merely appear to some alleged scientific consensus that we are playing it safe. In other words, we want to "play it safeR" by making what we think are rational choices and not dictated or ignorant mob pleasing choices.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:18 pm
Quote:

We conservatives are interested in doing things in a truly cleaner fashion. However, we do not want to do things that are alleged to be cleaner when they actually are not. For example, florescent bulbs contain mercury. When broken or otherwise disposed of they cause things to be done in not only a dirtier fashion, but also in a deadly toxic fashion.

This is actually untrue - the amount of mercury in a CFL is not dangerous.

Quote:
Question: I have been in the process of converting to an all CFL household only to find out by trial and error (and some googling) that CFL's fail very quickly in track lighting and recessed fixtures. In my online searches I have stumbled upon some real horror stories about people who have broken the bulbs in their homes which has resulted in thousands of dollars worth of cleanup to remove the mercury.

I did read in the past the post about the quality of various manufacturers, but do you have any information on "best practices" for use and safety/disposal/mercury contamination topics? As far as the mercury information goes - I am not looking for a debate about how much mercury ends up in the environment from other sources.... I just want to know if my kids are going to get mercury poisoning if a bulb breaks in their rooms. Real scientific responses only please.

Response: There has recently been some concern over the possibility that broken CFLs can be an important source of exposures to mercury, a toxic metal and a key component of compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs). Although mercury is a toxic pollutant, mercury exposures from broken CFLs are not likely to harm you and your family. This is due to several factors, including the amount and duration of your exposures and the specific type of mercury that you are exposed to.

Mercury in CFLs are present as elemental (or metallic) mercury. Once spilled, you can be exposed to elemental mercury by touching it, after which it can be eaten and/or absorbed through your skin. More importantly for health, you can also be exposed to mercury through the air, as elemental mercury vaporizes readily (essentially becomes a gas) and can thus be inhaled into your lungs. Breathing elemental mercury into your lungs is generally more dangerous than if you ate the mercury or absorbed it through your skin. Once inhaled, the mercury vapor can damage the central nervous system, kidneys, and liver.

These toxic effects are why any mercury spill should be handled carefully, including one that results from a CFL breaking. Having said this, careful handling does not mean that expensive or complicated clean-up of the spill is needed or that you should be worried about you or your family's health, if a CFL were to break in your home.

This is because CFLs contain relatively small amounts of mercury -- EPA estimates this amount to be 4-5 milligrams (mg) in a typical CFL. A spill of this amount of mercury is not likely to present any excess risk to you or your family. A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows why. [Note: This example is meant only as a quick and dirty example. It is not intended to represent every case nor every situation.] For example, we could imagine the following scenario:

A CFL containing 5 mg of mercury breaks in your child's bedroom that has a volume of about 25 m3 (which corresponds to a medium sized bedroom). The entire 5 mg of mercury vaporizes immediately (an unlikely occurrence), resulting in an airborne mercury concentration in this room of 0.2 mg/m3. This concentration will decrease with time, as air in the room leaves and is replaced by air from outside or from a different room. As a result, concentrations of mercury in the room will likely approach zero after about an hour or so.

Under these relatively conservative assumptions, this level and duration of mercury exposure is not likely to be dangerous, as it is lower than the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standard of 0.05 mg/m3 of metallic mercury vapor averaged over eight hours. [To equate these values, we could estimate the average indoor airborne mercury concentration for 8 hours, beginning post-spill at an estimated starting value of 0.2 mg/m3 and decreasing from there. If one assumes the the air exchanges completely in one hour (a fairly standard assumption), then the 8-hour average concentration would be 0.025 mg/m3.]

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05/ask_treehugger_14.php

There's more mercury in old-style thermometers then CFL's, but you don't see those being hated on by anyone.

Your house is full of dangerous and toxic chemicals, which can be harmful if you use them incorrectly. The fact that you have to take a small amount of care with CFLs is not a valid reason to not use them.

Also, mercury is released into the environment by burning coal. The amount of mercury released into the environment by burning coal, over the lifetime of a conventional bulb vs. a CFL, dwarfs the amount that could be released by a broken one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:38 pm
Has anyone tried the LED light bulbs? I've been curious about the performance of those. If those are good, they'll outlast my children.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:41 pm
ican wrote :

Quote:

IF we have any burned out or broken CF-bulbs we take them to one of the home building stores that have special boxes for recycling them - no need to throw them into the garbage .
similarly i take any old batteries (flashlight etc.) in for re-cycling - that's easily done .
even remainders of paints left in the can , cleaning fluids .., ... can all easily be taken in for re-cycling .
we have a small paint factory in our city that "remanufactures" old paints . those paints are as good as name brands at half the price .

REDUCE-REUSE-RECYCLE ! easy to remember and practice imo .
hbg
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 06:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

There's more mercury in old-style thermometers then CFL's, but you don't see those being hated on by anyone.

Your house is full of dangerous and toxic chemicals, which can be harmful if you use them incorrectly. The fact that you have to take a small amount of care with CFLs is not a valid reason to not use them.

Also, mercury is released into the environment by burning coal. The amount of mercury released into the environment by burning coal, over the lifetime of a conventional bulb vs. a CFL, dwarfs the amount that could be released by a broken one.

Cycloptichorn

Let's get rid of the old style thermometers too, because that will reduce our chances of exposure to mercury.

I was in a grocery store when a box containing 6 to 12, 4 foot florescent light bulbs dropped and broke in one of the store's isles. Customers were quickly ushered out of the store by the store's employees and manager, and not allowed back in until a protected waste disposal crew could be assembled to clean up that toxic mess.

As for the screw-in florescent bulbs, they do not provide the same light intensity (i.e., lumens) in my house as do the cheaper 60 watt incandescent light bulbs.

Yes there are other sources of mercury in our environment, but we are stupid if we add to it by our choice of light bulbs.

Yes there are other sources of toxic substances in my household that require care not to expose us to them. I neither want nor need any more such sources.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 06:11 pm
hamburger wrote:
ican wrote :

Quote:

IF we have any burned out or broken CF-bulbs we take them to one of the home building stores that have special boxes for recycling them - no need to throw them into the garbage .
similarly i take any old batteries (flashlight etc.) in for re-cycling - that's easily done .
even remainders of paints left in the can , cleaning fluids .., ... can all easily be taken in for re-cycling .
we have a small paint factory in our city that "remanufactures" old paints . those paints are as good as name brands at half the price .

REDUCE-REUSE-RECYCLE ! easy to remember and practice imo .
hbg

We do the same in our household. I don't want any more such potentially toxic stuff in my house than I already have. I prefer less, and occasionallly I also find ways to achieve that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 06:24 pm
Quote:
Dealing with toxic computer waste
By Yo Takatsuki
Business reporter, BBC World Service

An unfortunate by-product of today's fast-moving digital age is the obsolescent equipment that gets discarded in its wake.

One estimate suggests that by 2010, 100m phones and 300m personal computers will be thrown on the rubbish tip.

Most of these contain toxic cocktail of substances including lead, mercury and arsenic.

At the moment a lot of this waste ends up, often illegally, in dumping sites around the globe, especially in the developing world.

The European Union is working on new laws to encourage the safe disposal of what is called e-waste.

It is drafting a Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) directive that will ensure that more of the responsibility for dealing with old computers and mobiles will be placed on their manufacturers.

Deadly poison

HAZARDOUS WASTE
1: Lead in cathode ray tube and solder
2: Arsenic in older cathode ray tubes
5: Antimony trioxide as flame retardant
4: Polybrominated flame retardants in plastic casings, cables and circuit boards
3: Selenium in circuit boards as power supply rectifier
6: Cadmium in circuit boards and semiconductors
7: Chromium in steel as corrosion protection
8: Cobalt in steel for structure and magnetism
9: Mercury in switches and housing

in full :
TOXIC COMPUTER WASTE
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 07:10 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Has anyone tried the LED light bulbs? I've been curious about the performance of those. If those are good, they'll outlast my children.

T
K
O

LEDs aren't quite there yet. The lumens per watt are about the same as fluorescent but they can't get the wattage to get decent lumens.

Most LED lights are speciality lights. I have a couple of LED spot lights designed to replace R20 and R30 spot lights. A very blue white light and the lumens are about the equivelant of a 30 or 40 watt light bulb. To get a warm light similar to an incandescent they have even less lumens. They are getting better but may never achieve a replacement light for an already installed fixture.

I would expect to see new fixtures that use LED's coming into use in the home in next 5 years. Las Vegas has banned the use of neon signage so most of the new signs there are LED. LED color washers for buildings and theatrical use are becoming common because they can mix and change colors.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 07:13 pm
ican711nm wrote:

As for the screw-in florescent bulbs, they do not provide the same light intensity (i.e., lumens) in my house as do the cheaper 60 watt incandescent light bulbs.

Let me repeat this for those that don't seem to understand how light works. If you use a fluorescent rated to replace a given incandescent you may not get quite as many lumens.

This is EASILY overcome by upsizing your fluorescent to the next size which will give you MORE lumens than that 60 watt.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 07:22 pm
parados wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

LEDs aren't quite there yet. The lumens per watt are about the same as fluorescent but they can't get the wattage to get decent lumens.

Most LED lights are speciality lights. I have a couple of LED spot lights designed to replace R20 and R30 spot lights. A very blue white light and the lumens are about the equivelant of a 30 or 40 watt light bulb. To get a warm light similar to an incandescent they have even less lumens. They are getting better but may never achieve a replacement light for an already installed fixture.

I would expect to see new fixtures that use LED's coming into use in the home in next 5 years. Las Vegas has banned the use of neon signage so most of the new signs there are LED. LED color washers for buildings and theatrical use are becoming common because they can mix and change colors.

Thanks. I'll chat more with my Ceramic Engineer and Electrical Engineer friends to see if any research is being done on my campus.

T
K
O
0 Replies