Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 01:53 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Rolling Eyes

When you don't have a good argument, resorting to exaggeration and hyperbole alwa.... wait, never works.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Economic damage. That's all that really matters at the end to you guys. That it will cost money for companies to do things in a cleaner fashion, and we can't have that.
Cycloptichorn

QED

If it isn't for the economic damage, why are you Conservatives against being Conservative on this issue? What's the good reason not to play it safe?

I'm interested in you explaining this in depth.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 01:58 pm
hamburger wrote:
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
So preferring unplugging to 'burning up', I presume you guys have pulled the plug on your refrigerators, freezers, kitchen range, furnace, air conditioner, vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, television sets, radios, stereo equipment, and are lighting your homes with candlelight from hand rolled candles made from beeswax melted in a hot spring? You surely have put your automobiles up on blocks, are eating only organically grown vegetables watered with whatever rain that falls and can be consumed raw. You are walking everywhere you go because even a bicycle requires excessive energy to produce. And your community of course tolerates nudity well as clothing also require unacceptable quantities of energy to produce, at least until skills of preparing and lacing together animal hides are redeveloped. I suggest while a few spades and shovels exist, that the people begin digging fresh caves now and learn to use primitive means to start fires before their homes become uninhabitable.

wow , wow , hold your horses , foxfire .
steve spoke of dangers of excessive greenhouse gas emissions.
personally i cannot see any advantage to mankind in ANY KIND OF EXCESS - but perhaps you may want to show us some EXCESSIVE EXCESSES that benefit mankind .
i'm always ready to look at something new .
i don't think i'm a luddite , but simply think that much is to be said for MODERATION in everything - it's just my opinion and likely not shared by everyone .
if you believe that EXCESS is more beneficial to mankind than moderation , i'm here to listen .
hbg

in the meantime ... ... ... >>>

Quote:
presumption
n 1: an assumption that is taken for granted [syn: given, precondition]
2: (law) an inference of the truth of a fact from other facts
proved or admitted or judicially noticed
3: audacious (even arrogant) behavior that you have no right
to; "he despised them for their presumptuousness" [syn: presumptuousness,
effrontery, assumption]
4: a kind of discourtesy in the form of an act of presuming;
"his presumption was intolerable"

My little foray into satire does beg an important question, however. What do you do personally to reduce 'excessive' greenhouse emmissions? What is 'excessive'? Where is the data that shows how much anthropogenic greenhouse emissions must be reduced in order to make a difference? If reducing greenhouse emissions is the goal, then how does the IPCC justify a notion by which countries or industries can continue to emit 'excessive' CO2 by buying or trading carbon credits? What is the rationale for increasing goals for CO2 reduction when nobody has met the previously established goals?

Hybrid automobiles do emit less CO2 and actually given high fuel costs, they can reasonably pay for themselves. But why isn't a profit motive an acceptable reason to produce and/or buy these? How effective woud this initiative have been if gasoline was still 50 cents a gallon?

Is there no reason to suspect that all of this is just whistling in the wind to make some folks feel like they are actually doing something when there is no evidence that they are actually accomplishing anything?

And how far do we have to rewind to our less modern past in order to comply with existing mandates, let alone actually make a difference?

I don't think these are unreasonable questions to be asking.

And I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that our efforts can be better spent helping people adjust to inevitable climate change rather than trying to alter our climate.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
firefox wrote :

Quote:
Hybrid automobiles do emit less CO2 and actually given high fuel costs, they can reasonably pay for themselves. But why isn't a profit motive an acceptable reason to produce and/or buy these? How effective woud this initiative have been if gasoline was still 50 cents a gallon?

- but gasoline is no longer at 50 cents a gallon ; i remember paying 29 cents an IMPERIAL GALLON - that's the large one ; those days seem to have gone ; i think we have to GO WITH THE FLOW .

- from what i read in automotive magazines , HYBRID GASOLINE/ELECTRIC CARS are no longer being considered the best choice to reduce energy consumption and pollution ; a/t automotive writers clean TURBO-DIESEL - possibly diesel-electric - cars are a much better option ; btw that's the way europe has been going already for some years .
we've already discussed that on some other thread .

Is there no reason to suspect that all of this is just whistling in the wind to make some folks feel like they are actually doing something when there is no evidence that they are actually accomplishing anything?

- from what i've read and seen , plenty is already being accomplished - but i don't see any reason to stop now .
recently an AMERICAN carpet producer (the biggest in the U.S. ? can't remember his name) appeared on a CANADIAN TV program ; he explained how his engineers had dragged him screaming and shouting to adopt GREEN TECHNOLOGIES , and as it turned out , his costs decreased and profits increased ;
he stated that many manufacturers simply don't want to try anything new , even if it is better .
i think the BIG THREE auto manufacturers are a good example what can happen if management suffers from calcification and reisting to move FORWARD - perhaps they have been awakened now .

And how far do we have to rewind to our less modern past in order to comply with existing mandates, let alone actually make a difference?

- i see NO reason to rewind but to go FORWARD !
if we had not gone forward , we'd still be living in caves and eat raw meat - certainly not my choice !
but i believe we have to continue to go forward rather than deciding to stop now .
we'll either have to move forward or we'll drift back , that's my opinion .
has mankind ever benefitted from standing still ?

I don't think these are unreasonable questions to be asking.

- NO !
and iv'e tried to give you my "unscientific" opinions ..
not being a scientist , i can't prove them from my own experiments .

And I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that our efforts can be better spent helping people adjust to inevitable climate change rather than trying to alter our climate.

- what i am wondering is : how much climate change - increase in temperature - can humans cope with ?
some studies suggest that an increase in the average temperature of about 3 degrees is the maximum that the human body can adjust to .
if that is correct and if the increase would reach more than that - for whatever reason - we might as well stop worrying . no adjustments one way or the other would make any difference - it's goodbye charlie !.

hbg(seeing a foot of snow on the driveway - can i have some global warming on my driveway , please ?)
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 06:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

If it isn't for the economic damage, why are you Conservatives against being Conservative on this issue? What's the good reason not to play it safe?

Cycloptichorn

Can I answer? Simple concept really, when you place artificial constraints on a product, you skew the free market, which is the most efficient. Requiring us to buy certain kinds of light bulbs for example, that may not be the most cost effective, is akin to breaking windows so that you can stimulate the glass industry. Your vision of all kinds of jobs in the environmental industry is not efficient, and may actually end up producing more pollution. You do create jobs, but to what end? Wasted work is a waste, plain and simple.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 06:18 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Can I answer? Simple concept really, when you place artificial constraints on a product, you skew the free market, which is the most efficient. Requiring us to buy certain kinds of light bulbs for example, that may not be the most cost effective, is akin to breaking windows so that you can stimulate the glass industry. Your vision of all kinds of jobs in the environmental industry is not efficient, and may actually end up producing more pollution. You do create jobs, but to what end? Wasted work is a waste, plain and simple.

You basically just wrote 'economic damage.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 06:24 pm
Economic damage has an energy component. None of this happens in a vacuum. I will get back to you later on this.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 06:37 pm
okie wrote :

Quote:
Requiring us to buy certain kinds of light bulbs for example, that may not be the most cost effective

have you asked an electrical engineer to explain the cost-effectiveness of CFL's ?

we have switched most of our bulbs to CFL's - except the oven bulb and outdoor heat-activated halogen bulbs .
not only uses less energy but last a lot longer and i don't have to climb on the stepladder very often to change bulbs any more .
btw some of our "circlite" fluorescent bulbs have been in use for "15" years !

from a very long article on bulbs (see link) :

Quote:
How much will I save by using CFLs?

An average Canadian home has 30 light fixtures, indoors and out, that consume close to $200 of electricity every year. Replacing just five bulbs with ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs in high-use areas can save up to $30 a year, depending on location and amount of time used. That means you'll pay off the added cost of the bulbs in less than two years, and they last for at least five. Better still, you won't have to change them as often!

in today's paper cfl's are offered at $5.97 for three - and there is often an additional rebate by G.E.

source :
ENERGY EFFICIENT CFL's
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:29 pm
okie wrote:
Unplug the sun, icann, or we are all going to burn up.

Too hot to handle!

I'll try using an umbrella. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
hamburger wrote:
okie wrote :

Quote:
Requiring us to buy certain kinds of light bulbs for example, that may not be the most cost effective

have you asked an electrical engineer to explain the cost-effectiveness of CFL's ?

we have switched most of our bulbs to CFL's - except the oven bulb and outdoor heat-activated halogen bulbs .
not only uses less energy but last a lot longer and i don't have to climb on the stepladder very often to change bulbs any more .
btw some of our "circlite" fluorescent bulbs have been in use for "15" years !

from a very long article on bulbs (see link) :

Quote:
How much will I save by using CFLs?

An average Canadian home has 30 light fixtures, indoors and out, that consume close to $200 of electricity every year. Replacing just five bulbs with ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs in high-use areas can save up to $30 a year, depending on location and amount of time used. That means you'll pay off the added cost of the bulbs in less than two years, and they last for at least five. Better still, you won't have to change them as often!

in today's paper cfl's are offered at $5.97 for three - and there is often an additional rebate by G.E.

source :
ENERGY EFFICIENT CFL's

Granted, the light bulbs might be a good economic choice, but I just don't want somebody to force me to buy them. If they are cheaper in the long run, then people will end up buying them, where appropriate and justified, probably, if they provide equal or better light that is pleasing.

Perhaps a car is a better example. You cannot simply look at the gas mileage of a car to determine if it is the most energy efficient model. You must also consider that the price of the car includes varying amounts of raw materials, which took energy to mine or produce. The plant that produces the car may take more or less energy to have built and operate than for other cars. The components of various cars are different, and for hybrid cars, batteries are required which also require energy to extract the materials and to build them, and some components may become in short supply if used in much larger quantities. The labor force uses energy as part of getting to work. Another factor is the life expectancy of the vehicle, so if a less economical vehicle lasts twice as long, you only have to make half as many, which obviously requires less energy. The point of all of this is the fact that energy is an important component of every facet of manufacturing vehicles, which all feed into the cost of the vehicle in some way, along with other factors.

Then, you must look at the expected usage of a vehicle, perhaps a large SUV or truck is used only on weekends or is driven very short distances, and may carpool a group of kids to the local games, thus saving other parents from driving more cars, which is an energy saver. Each consumer is unique. What may be a huge waste for one consumer is not for another. The only way that all of these efficiencies are best allowed for is to allow the individual consumers make those decisions. It is a mistake for government to contemplate or mandate something across the board, one size fits all.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 10:51 am
okie wrote :

Quote:
Perhaps a car is a better example. You cannot simply look at the gas mileage of a car to determine if it is the most energy efficient model. You must also consider that the price of the car includes varying amounts of raw materials, which took energy to mine or produce. The plant that produces the car may take more or less energy to have built and operate than for other cars. The components of various cars are different, and for hybrid cars, batteries are required which also require energy to extract the materials and to build them, and some components may become in short supply if used in much larger quantities. The labor force uses energy as part of getting to work. Another factor is the life expectancy of the vehicle, so if a less economical vehicle lasts twice as long, you only have to make half as many, which obviously requires less energy. The point of all of this is the fact that energy is an important component of every facet of manufacturing vehicles, which all feed into the cost of the vehicle in some way, along with other factors.

i sure admire you for making all the necessary calculations BEFORE making a car purchase !
we should all be doing that before making any purchases !
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 11:33 am
hamburger wrote:
okie wrote :

Quote:

i sure admire you for making all the necessary calculations BEFORE making a car purchase !
hbg

The point Okie is making though is that it makes sense to buy a bigger, less fuel efficient vehicle, if you're going to be transporting a soccer team or otherwise need the cargo capacity rather than drive two or three more fuel efficient vehicles or make additional trips. We use the flourescent light bulbs throughout the house, especially in the multi-bulb fixtures, but when we need better light to work, we supplement the flourescent with incandescent bulbs in desk lamps. So are we saving much energy? Hard to say. But it is all relative.

My question remains, however. How much energy do we need to save to make a difference? If EVERYBODY started using the most energy efficient lightbulbs, would it reduce CO2 emissions enough to move the thermometer down a measurable fraction? How about if EVERYBODY started driving hybrids? Or simply parked their cars and went on foot? Would we see ANY measurable reduction in average global temperatures? What is it specifically that WILL make a difference? Would it make a significant difference? Would it be worth it?

I think there is something built into the psyche of freedom loving people that prompts them to resist mandates for things they suspect are bogus. Also people resent punative measures to force them to do the government's bidding in such things. They generally respond better to economic incentives however much some here think that shouldn't be a factor in the considerations.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 05:44 pm
hamburger wrote:
okie wrote :

Quote:

hbg

Everybody makes their own decisions based on their dislikes, likes, and priorities, and pocketbook. Maybe you buy stuff without even thinking about how you will use it or what fits your needs best, but I don't. This is the beauty of the free market. I have a question for you. Why just pick on cars? How come houses are not limited per size, and how come there isn't a law saying you have to work less then 20 miles from home, or why not outlaw Christmas lights, or why not simply outlaw the city of Las Vegas, after all it isn't essential. Outlaw cruises and airline travel for leisure. I just resent the government telling me what kind of car I have to choose from. If I want a gas guzzler to drive less than 5 miles to work, vs somebody else that drives a hybrid 50 miles to work, who is being more efficient I ask? Maybe I happen to like my gas guzzler because I can go down to Home Depot and haul all the home improvement materials home that I want. Maybe it is a convenience and it saves me money in other ways besides gas.

I am tired of the nazi like tree huggers out there.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 05:55 pm
okie wrote :

Quote:

here is a message from one of those "nazis" :wink:

Quote:
Get Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs at Wal-Mart

Here's a simple way to save money, save energy and save the environment: Change a light bulb. By replacing one 60-watt incandescent light bulb with an equivalent 13-watt Compact Fluorescent light bulb, you can make a big difference.

source :
WALMART
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 07:28 pm
1976-2007 % Increases:

Global Average Temperature K = 0.23%
USA Life Expectancy Years = 1.4%
Global Atmosphere CO2 ppm = 16%

Which is causing the others?

Confused
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 10:42 pm
hamburger wrote:
okie wrote :

Quote:

here is a message from one of those "nazis" :wink:

Quote:
Get Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs at Wal-Mart

Here's a simple way to save money, save energy and save the environment: Change a light bulb. By replacing one 60-watt incandescent light bulb with an equivalent 13-watt Compact Fluorescent light bulb, you can make a big difference.

Just turn the lights off and you will save alot more. You aren't going to save the environment with your light bulbs, hamburger, so don't get too excited. Besides, the environment is just fine.

As far as light bulbs are concerned, I have a handful of those bulbs where the usage and situation of where they are in my house justifies them. Other bulbs that hardly are ever used, I don't bother replacing them. I have found that what are claimed as equivalent light, I don't agree with, they don't seem as bright to me. But light bulbs are not going to solve the energy problem. There are alot better ways to save, such as efficient furnaces, turning the lights off, and lots of other things, such as not running alot of gadgets in the house. My house isn't that big to start with and my utility usage is a very, very small fraction of Al Gore's, I can assure you of that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 11:34 pm
I am absolutely certain the florescent bulbs do not put out the same level of light that the incandescent bulbs do. That's why I have to supplement them with table lamps in my office which probably wipes out the intended energy savings. The big long bulbs in my kitchen ceiling do put out a fair amount of light but they don't work with our ceiling fan light assembly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:35 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I am absolutely certain the florescent bulbs do not put out the same level of light that the incandescent bulbs do.

You get those bulbs from 2300 K to 7000 k - no difference to traditional bulbs at all.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 09:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I am absolutely certain the florescent bulbs do not put out the same level of light that the incandescent bulbs do.

You get those bulbs from 2300 K to 7000 k - no difference to traditional bulbs at all.

I can put incandescent bulbs into the ceiling light assembly in my office and need no supplement light to work. I replaced with the largest fluorescent bulbs the assembly can take and I do need supplement light to work. You can tell me that there is no difference til the cows come home, but I'm telling you, the fluorescent lights are not as efficient as the incandescent bulbs in that fan/light assembly.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 11:25 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I can put incandescent bulbs into the ceiling light assembly in my office and need no supplement light to work. I replaced with the largest fluorescent bulbs the assembly can take and I do need supplement light to work. You can tell me that there is no difference til the cows come home, but I'm telling you, the fluorescent lights are not as efficient as the incandescent bulbs in that fan/light assembly.

It's called LUMENS Foxfyre. Flourescents can and do produce the amount of lumens that incandescent lights do. Flourescents also produce light in color temperatures that incandescents can't.

Most fixtures are rated by watts. A 75 watt incandescent puts out about 1200 lumens. An 18 watt flourescent puts out about 1100 watts. But in a 75watt fixture you can put a 75 watt flourescent which means you can get a lot more lumens from flourescents with a lot less energy use. If you put a 27 watt flourescent in a 75watt fixture you will get 1750 lumens for about 1/3 of the energy 50% more lumens, 33% of the energy than you would with a 75watt incandescent. Most ceiling fans that I know of are rated for 60watts incandescent max which outputs about 870 lumens. An 18watt fluorescent will put out a lot more lumens but not be any larger in size than a standard 60 watt "A" lamp.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 11:50 am
I think that's fairly common knowledge, parados.

The 'K' I used in my above response id 'Kelvin' (Kelvin is used in the measure of the color temperature of light sources), and I'd thaught that was what Foxfyre was referring at.
0 Replies