Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:20 am
So what you're saying is that if I defy your creative image of the AGW or CC crowd than I'm waffling?

You're a clown, not a scientist.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:25 am

Apparently Walter, the difference is that 2007 did not get as warm in the warmest month, but the other months in spring and fall were warmer than usual, which amounted to the overall average being higher than the graph I posted looked. Still, the average annual temps have not risen in the past 10 years. 2007 is roughly the same as the late 90s.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:35 am
okie wrote:
2007 is roughly the same as the late 90s.

Yes, okay: it's all roughly the same "since this graph began recording in 1978".
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:35 am
Diest TKO wrote:
So what you're saying is that if I defy your creative image of the AGW or CC crowd than I'm waffling?

T
K
O

I have been a regular follower of this thread for a long time, diest, and I attempt to see beyond the hype of this issue. So far, there is mostly hype and little evidence to support all the angst out there. If it matters, I have a degree in science, and practiced the profession for a good number of years, and have seen alot of hypothesis and theories rise and fall flat, so yes, count me a person with a good dose of healthy skepticism. I look at the data and form my own opinions, I am not going to jump on a bandwagon simply because it is popular to do so.

World climate systems are simply too complex and controlled by too many factors that range from poorly understood to totally not understood, to almost unknown, just my opinion. This science is in its infancy, and for all of this computer modeling to be even close to accurate would be miraculous to say the least. A computer only knows what it is told, and garbage in garbage out, that addage is still applicable.

Once science enters the political arena, and the politicians begin running with it, you should begin to be highly suspicious, as there are other motives involved besides sound science.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:37 am
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

I have been a regular follower of this thread for a long time, diest, and I attempt to see beyond the hype of this issue. So far, there is mostly hype and little evidence to support all the angst out there. If it matters, I have a degree in science, and practiced the profession for a good number of years, and have seen alot of hypothesis and theories rise and fall flat, so yes, count me a person with a good dose of healthy skepticism. I look at the data and form my own opinions, I am not going to jump on a bandwagon simply because it is popular to do so.

World climate systems are simply too complex and controlled by too many factors that range from poorly understood to totally not understood, to almost unknown, just my opinion. This science is in its infancy, and for all of this computer modeling to be even close to accurate would be miraculous to say the least. A computer only knows what it is told, and garbage in garbage out, that addage is still applicable.

Once science enters the political arena, and the politicians begin running with it, you should begin to be highly suspicious, as there are other motives involved besides sound science.

I can't understand why one would argue that just b/c we can't fully understand the incredibly complex system that is our environment, that we shouldn't act with caution!

Why should we act with caution in regards to social or political matters - after all, as a Conservative, that's your position - but not with our environment?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:42 am
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

If you believe that there is little evidence, then why reject the most qualified source? The IPCC report is out there for all to see.

Just saying there is little evidence, does not make it true. I believe this is what Set referes to as the argument ad nauseum.

Just keep saying it, over and over.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
okie wrote:
2007 is roughly the same as the late 90s.

Yes, okay: it's all roughly the same "since this graph began recording in 1978".

You win, Walter. I looked at the graph, and based on the peaks and low points, 2007 looks to be coming down. And if you look at about the hottest month, July, 2007 is cooler than every year except for 3 or 4 years since 1978. As I said, apparently the springs and falls were warmer than many of the years, so the overall average is up over the appearance of the graph, but still, the overall average numbers do not show any increase in the last 10 years.

But your point is well taken, you have to look at the numbers, or the annual averages besides eyeballing a graph.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:50 am
Diest TKO wrote:
If you believe that there is little evidence, then why reject the most qualified source? The IPCC report is out there for all to see.

Just saying there is little evidence, does not make it true. I believe this is what Set referes to as the argument ad nauseum.

Just keep saying it, over and over.

T
K
O

I would hope you would look at something besides that report, which is political in and of itself. Repeating something doesn't make it true, you are correct, so I suggest you take a good look at your own biases as well.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:54 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I can't understand why one would argue that just b/c we can't fully understand the incredibly complex system that is our environment, that we shouldn't act with caution!

Why should we act with caution in regards to social or political matters - after all, as a Conservative, that's your position - but not with our environment?

Cycloptichorn

If you can't identify the problem, then you cannot devise a proper solution. It is totally common for politicians to devise solutions that not only do not address a problem, but often make them worse. Actually, I am on the side of acting with caution, continue to study the issue, but do not devise economically damaging energy policies and other policies when they are not at all warranted. This is an argument that requires sound logic, and I don't see liberal politicians using any.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 02:01 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

If you can't identify the problem, then you cannot devise a proper solution. It is totally common for politicians to devise solutions that not only do not address a problem, but often make them worse. Actually, I am on the side of acting with caution, continue to study the issue, but do not devise economically damaging energy policies and other policies when they are not at all warranted. This is an argument that requires sound logic, and I don't see liberal politicians using any.

Economic damage. That's all that really matters at the end to you guys. That it will cost money for companies to do things in a cleaner fashion, and we can't have that.

There are positive side effects, yaknow, that don't need further study. Much of the activities which will cut down on any sort of GW also will cut down on pollution, big time. There's little doubt that this will be a net benefit for everyone. And yes, it will cost some more money. But the benefit for our kids and ourselves will be tremendous.

I think it's important as well to point out that clean technologies are by definition more efficient then most pollutive ones. Internal combustion engines are horribly inefficient as well as pollutive. Everything we can do to help this is a big step for our country.

And it's not just a Liberal/green thing either; I strongly support Nuclear technology, something that many older libs don't. I just want a clean life and a clean world for my kids. And if we take the time to try and get clean, even if it costs some extra money, it will benefit us all in the end.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 05:06 am
okie wrote:
Actually, I am on the side of acting with caution, continue to study the issue, but do not devise economically damaging energy policies and other policies when they are not at all warranted. This is an argument that requires sound logic, and I don't see liberal politicians using any.

So you advocate the continued profligate burning of fossil fuels? That doesnt sound very cautious to me. Even your President has admitted that America is addicted to oil and you have to get off it. IMO he said that primarily from an energy security standpoint rather than the urgent need to reduce CO2 emissions, but its the other side of the same coin. In any case industrial economies will have to reduce their oil and gas consumption if for no other reason that the stuff is becoming scarce. Or we can fight over whats left, which again doesnt sound very cautious to me. (We already are fighting over whats left).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:42 am
Diest TKO wrote:

But seriously, describe to be how global enviromental law is a bad thing.

T
K
O

Because there is no one size fits all law for this sort of thing. I've spent the better part of 10 years here and on Abuzz trying to educate people about the need for private gun ownership rights. The amount of misinformed and truly frightened people with no clue about the implications of their ignorance is reflected in the global warming crowd.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:44 am
Fine. I must have missed that: how does private gun ownership again reduce climate change's negative results and improve the environment?

Becuase killing others reduces the amount of those who use energy and resources?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:46 am
Uh, Walt, you miss a lot, obviously.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:48 am
cjhsa wrote:
Uh, Walt, you miss a lot, obviously.

What exactly? I was repsponding to your above response, which clearly is a response to Diest TKO's question how global enviromental law is a bad thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:49 am
I'm not wasting my time.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:52 am
Good answer for someone with no answer.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
"The amount of misinformed and truly frightened people with no clue about the implications of their ignorance is reflected in the global warming crowd."

What? this is nonsense. Do you mean frightening as opposed to frightened? Have you ever considered the possibility of you being ignorant about earth system science? Its your thinking that is dangerous, limited appreciation of the facts and instant recourse to weapons. You can shoot all the "global warming crowd" tomorrow, it wont solve the problem for your children.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:29 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
"The amount of misinformed and truly frightened people with no clue about the implications of their ignorance is reflected in the global warming crowd."

What? this is nonsense. Do you mean frightening as opposed to frightened? Have you ever considered the possibility of you being ignorant about earth system science? Its your thinking that is dangerous, limited appreciation of the facts and instant recourse to weapons. You can shoot all the "global warming crowd" tomorrow, it wont solve the problem for your children.

You don't get it either. I think you can do better.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:04 am
cjhsa wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

You don't get it either. I think you can do better.
You and others here have been bleating on for years about how the problem is either not "fully" understood, or will cost "too much" to tackle or even that it doesnt really exist. You always have some excuse for doing nothing. Nevertheless its still cowardice.
0 Replies