Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:07 am
BS. Have the courage to do nothing.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:16 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Economic damage. That's all that really matters at the end to you guys. That it will cost money for companies to do things in a cleaner fashion, and we can't have that.

Obviously that isn't the only factor, but what do we hear right now, we are suffering economically, and many here, notably cicerone imposter, cry the blues over jobs going overseas, manufacturing suffering, etc. Romney rightly points out that if we unilaterally agree to regulations that China or India or other nations do not, we will continue to lose jobs and business, and overall the world will be worse off environmentally. And bad economics is alot more than economics, it involves health and well being of millions of citizens, so I would say it is pretty important. Some of the regulations that we have instituted here have already driven industry offshore.

Quote:
There are positive side effects, yaknow, that don't need further study. Much of the activities which will cut down on any sort of GW also will cut down on pollution, big time. There's little doubt that this will be a net benefit for everyone. And yes, it will cost some more money. But the benefit for our kids and ourselves will be tremendous.

I think it's important as well to point out that clean technologies are by definition more efficient then most pollutive ones. Internal combustion engines are horribly inefficient as well as pollutive. Everything we can do to help this is a big step for our country.
I have never been against positive improvements and advancement of technology to clean things up, but it needs to be balanced and sensible, not driven by hype. And there is alot of political hype built into this, which needs to be analyzed a bit deeper than what is being done.

Quote:
And it's not just a Liberal/green thing either; I strongly support Nuclear technology, something that many older libs don't. I just want a clean life and a clean world for my kids. And if we take the time to try and get clean, even if it costs some extra money, it will benefit us all in the end.

Cycloptichorn

I'm glad you support nuclear, but I believe that if the same political atmosphere existed now as back in the 70's, you may have been opposed. I was for nuclear then and I still am, for alot of the same reasons. I saw the handwriting on the wall in terms of fossil fuels then. The same type of political mindset tends to make the same mistakes over and over. It was the conservative base of the political spectrum that saw the wisdom of nuclear 20 to 30 years ago and we fought the same liberal insanity then as we are doing now. The only difference is the liberal end of the spectrum has danced around into a different position offering different trendy solutions to the problems of today. We don't need more pop science and politics, we need more logically based science and politics.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:25 am
okie wrote:

Obviously that isn't the only factor, but what do we hear right now, we are suffering economically, and many here, notably cicerone imposter, cry the blues over jobs going overseas, manufacturing suffering, etc. Romney rightly points out that if we unilaterally agree to regulations that China or India or other nations do not, we will continue to lose jobs and business, and overall the world will be worse off environmentally. And bad economics is alot more than economics, it involves health and well being of millions of citizens, so I would say it is pretty important. Some of the regulations that we have instituted here have already driven industry offshore.

So why is it, do you think, that other nations can handle these "problems" at least a bit better .... and have e.g. everyone health insured as well?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
okie wrote:

Apparently Walter, the difference is that 2007 did not get as warm in the warmest month, but the other months in spring and fall were warmer than usual, which amounted to the overall average being higher than the graph I posted looked. Still, the average annual temps have not risen in the past 10 years. 2007 is roughly the same as the late 90s.

Seems like you've identified a problem with barking on and on about averages.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:33 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

So why is it, do you think, that other nations can handle these "problems" at least a bit better .... and have e.g. everyone health insured as well?

They don't handle these problems better, Walter. Have you breathed the air in Shanghai?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1015139.stm

"A survey of 46 major Chinese cities found only eight meet government standards for water and air pollution.

Many rivers are also said to be dying and about a third of the country suffers from acid rain. "
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
okie wrote:
Have you breathed the air in Shanghai?

No, have you?

But actually - sorry for not making that clear - I was referring to e.g. European countries. Or any other country with stronger environmental laws than the USA.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:00 pm
cjhsa wrote:
BS. Have the courage to do nothing.

You define "coward."

T
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:09 pm
Hey Okie, do me a favor.

Quote:

I'm glad you support nuclear, but I believe that if the same political atmosphere existed now as back in the 70's, you may have been opposed. I was for nuclear then and I still am, for alot of the same reasons. I saw the handwriting on the wall in terms of fossil fuels then. The same type of political mindset tends to make the same mistakes over and over. It was the conservative base of the political spectrum that saw the wisdom of nuclear 20 to 30 years ago and we fought the same liberal insanity then as we are doing now. The only difference is the liberal end of the spectrum has danced around into a different position offering different trendy solutions to the problems of today. We don't need more pop science and politics, we need more logically based science and politics.

I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from implying that my scientific opinions are built around political trends. First of all, as a scientific guy, it's purely untrue. And second, it's f*cking insulting.

Cleaner living and lower emissions and higher efficiencies aren't pop science, they are proven science and proven things which will make all of our lives better.

It's plainly obvious that you are against these proven things for political or money reasons and not b/c the science is bad. But you don't like to hear me say that any more then I like to hear you say the opposite about me, so why don't we try and rein it in a bit, hmm?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:26 pm
ppm = average global parts per million of the atmosphere.
temperature = average global temperature on land & ocean.

2005 CO2ppm / 1976 CO2ppm = 380 / 330 = 1.1515; or a 0.1515% increase.

2005 temperature / 1976 temperature = 287.6645K / 286.6792K = 1.003437; or a 0.3437% increase.

Ratio % increase in CO2ppm 2005 / 1976 to % increase in temperature 2005 / 1976 = 0.1515 / 0.003437 = 44.0791

In the period 1976 thru 2005, CO2 increased more than 44 times faster than did temperature.
Shocked
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Hey Okie, do me a favor.

I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from implying that my scientific opinions are built around political trends. First of all, as a scientific guy, it's purely untrue. And second, it's f*cking insulting.

Cleaner living and lower emissions and higher efficiencies aren't pop science, they are proven science and proven things which will make all of our lives better.

It's plainly obvious that you are against these proven things for political or money reasons and not b/c the science is bad. But you don't like to hear me say that any more then I like to hear you say the opposite about me, so why don't we try and rein it in a bit, hmm?

Cycloptichorn

Okay, fair enough. But using nuclear as an example, and apparently you personally favor nuclear, but one of the reasons we are not better off than we could have been was the environmental movement, essentially the same movement that now condemns the conservatives for not acknowledging the problems. If we had been running things, we would be alot better off now in regard to the big problem everybody is decrying, CO2, which I think is also another mistake to concentrate on this single issue. And if we had been running things, we would also be better off in terms of energy independence, not all the way, but at least marginally better.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:47 pm
cyclo's response to okie :

Quote:

as one of the older guys in the crowd , let me make a suggestion .
i have noticed - particular in older canadians - a general fear or at least mis-understanding of CHANGE - even if it is for the better .
i often enough hear people say : "why do have to change all the time ? this is just working fine for ME - leave it alone ! " .

i also have to say that many warnings/changes in the past have turned out to be wrong .
take the many suggestions about dangers of certain foods , diet fads that didn't work etc. etc.
to some extent there has been an INFORMATION OVERLOAD .
people will process only a certain amount of change and at some point they'll just give up .

i'll cite a very trivial local example : RECYCLING .
we have a BLUE BOX and GREY BOX recycling program .
because the city is trying to run the program at the lowest cost , the program is changed depending on the RECOVERY REVENUE generated .
just recently we were informed NOT to put certain CLEAR plastic items - such as egg cartons and vegetable boxes - into the blue box but put it into the garbage pail .
the reason is that it costs the city more to have it recycled than having it put into the landfill .
so if we have egg-cartons we have to decide :
- cardboard carton > grey box ,
- foam carton > blue box ,
- clear plastic > garbage .

and i'm sure the collection criteria will change again .
imo the use of non-cecyclable egg cartons - and others - should be BANNED ; or at least the producers of those items should be made to pay for it .

what now happens is that people simply give up : more-and-more items are thrown into the garbage !
so what started out as a good program is now being seen as just a nuisance .
(the slogan for recycing should be : KEEP IT SIMPLE , STUPID !
and i'd suggest the same slogan should be adopted for all GREEN POLICIES - or people simply give up : INFORMATION OVERLOAD !) .
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:20 pm
Hamburger - yes, but revenue is important to municipalities, so perhaps some market pricing research in advance of the original rules would have avoided that problem?!

Anyway, more news from Canada:
Quote:
But far from the palms and yucca plants on the shore of English Bay, in Uranium City, 1,340 kilometres north of Saskatoon, the temperature dropped to 59 C below zero this week, making it the coldest place on earth. ...........It was so cold that Syncrude Canada suspended all production activities at its 315,000-barrel-a-day facility in Alberta, a feat armies of environmentalists have tried and failed to achieve.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=0c9779a0-1b5b-4c19-85a7-01c696ae9aaa

At 60 below zero centigrade, can anything stay alive? Polar bears are supposed to be hibernating, but what about wolves, or even living plants - do you know?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:27 pm
High Seas wrote:
Hamburger - yes, but revenue is important to municipalities, so perhaps some market pricing research in advance of the original rules would have avoided that problem?!

Anyway, more news from Canada:
Quote:
But far from the palms and yucca plants on the shore of English Bay, in Uranium City, 1,340 kilometres north of Saskatoon, the temperature dropped to 59 C below zero this week, making it the coldest place on earth. ...........It was so cold that Syncrude Canada suspended all production activities at its 315,000-barrel-a-day facility in Alberta, a feat armies of environmentalists have tried and failed to achieve.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=0c9779a0-1b5b-4c19-85a7-01c696ae9aaa

At 60 below zero centigrade, can anything stay alive? Polar bears are supposed to be hibernating, but what about wolves, or even living plants - do you know?

Bacteria and viruses, moss and lichen. There are some who live in Antartica year round for christ' sake.

And hey, the penguins do it - or close, and for months, anyways - so I guess it's possible!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:43 pm
Tks, Cycl, but that's -76 degrees Fahrenheit (degree F = degree C x 1.8 + 32) as you know, before allowing for wind chill, lack of humidity and whatever other variables are involved.

I'm not sure about temperatures in Antarctica - somehow doubt those darling penguins can live through that, though. Bacteria and lichen I can understand.

PS - sorry Cycl, I just looked it up:

Quote:
The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was -89.2°C at the Russian station Vostok in 1983.

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_antarctica/geography/weather/temperatures.php

God. Almighty.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:52 pm
High Seas wrote:
PS - sorry Cycl, I just looked it up:

Quote:
The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was -89.2°C at the Russian station Vostok in 1983.

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_antarctica/geography/weather/temperatures.php

God. Almighty.

Sheit. Here in Michigan that's t-shirt weather. Laughing
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:54 pm
LOL CJ - are you competing for the Darwin awards this year?!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:55 pm
One can hope!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:59 pm
Meet Darwin.

http://www.lewis-clark.org/media/NewImages/DEER/an_muledeer.jpg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 02:09 pm
Cycl - not nice! For anyone who doesn't know those awards, here's a sample:
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1993-10.html

Quote:
21 December 1992, North Carolina
Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death
in December in Newton, when, awakening to the sound of
a ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone
but grabbed instead a Smith & Wesson .38 Special,
which discharged when he drew it to his ear.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 02:16 pm
Yup, survival of the fittest....
0 Replies