Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

ican711nm

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 05:56 pm
The Judeo-Christian religious doctrine of the Ten Commandments.

20 And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of anything
that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under
the earth;
5thou shall not bow down unto them , nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a
jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and
fourth generation of them that hate Me;
6 and showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep
My commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him
guiltless that taketh His name in vain.
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work;
10 but the seventh day is a sabbath unto the Lord thy God, in it thou shalt not do any
manner
of work, nor thy wife, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy man-servant, nor thy
maid- servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates;
11 for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and
rested
on the seventh day; wherefore the Lord blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it.
12 Honour thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the
Lord thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not commit murder.
Thou shalt not commit adultery, nor shalt thou commit fornication.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
14 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife,
nor his man servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything
that is thy neighbour's.

The religious doctrine of the Declaration of Independence is derived from Judeo-Christian religious doctrine.

The Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States of America
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

My religious doctrine is derived from the Declaration of Independence:

I hold these truths to be self-evident, that all people are created equal, in that they are endowed by God with certain rights. Among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. To secure these rights, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the people governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to secure these rights.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience has shown that people are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

To secure for me my rights endowed me by God, I must possess the right to defend myself effectively against those attempting to deny me one or more of my rights. Those people who are attempting to deny me my rights, or are denying me one or more of my rights, thereby forfeit those very rights originally endowed them by God that they seek to deny me.

The endowment of my rights by God obligates me to attempt to help others secure these same rights, whenever anyone attempts to deny them these same rights.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 06:07 pm
ican711nm wrote:

20 And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of anything
that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under
the earth;
5thou shall not bow down unto them , nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a
jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and
fourth generation of them that hate Me;
6 and showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep
My commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him
guiltless that taketh His name in vain.
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work;
10 but the seventh day is a sabbath unto the Lord thy God, in it thou shalt not do any
manner
of work, nor thy wife, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy man-servant, nor thy
maid- servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates;
11 for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and
rested
on the seventh day; wherefore the Lord blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it.
12 Honour thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the
Lord thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not commit murder.
Thou shalt not commit adultery, nor shalt thou commit fornication.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
14 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife,
nor his man servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything
that is thy neighbour's.

Thanks, but this isn't the only time when god commands man to a law. But I dont' blame you for leaving out that we should stone our children publically if they are insolent.
ican711nm wrote:

The religious doctrine of the Declaration of Independence is derived from Judeo-Christian religious doctrine.

The Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States of America
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

Nothing in this specifically cites Judiasm or Christianity. Further, it's reference to a creator references what rights the creator bestows upon man, the commandents illustrate what rights god has to judge man, and the laws men must follow.

Ultimately, your post is pointless.
ican711nm wrote:

I hold these truths to be self-evident, that all people are created equal, in that they are endowed by God with certain rights. Among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. To secure these rights, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the people governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to secure these rights.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience has shown that people are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

To secure for me my rights endowed me by God, I must possess the right to defend myself effectively against those attempting to deny me one or more of my rights. Those people who are attempting to deny me my rights, or are denying me one or more of my rights, thereby forfeit those very rights originally endowed them by God that they seek to deny me.

The endowment of my rights by God obligates me to attempt to help others secure these same rights, whenever anyone attempts to deny them these same rights.

Your personal doctrine is irrelavant and unimpressive.

T
K
O
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
Diest TKO wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

God commands us how to treat God and how to treat each other.
ican711nm wrote:

Man commands us how to treat each other.
ican711nm wrote:

I command me how to treat others and be treated by others.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:20 pm
I agree with you, ican.

I am going to quote from Romney's religion speech as I was totally impressed by it.

"There are some who may feel that religion is not a matter to be seriously considered in the context of the weighty threats that face us. If so, they are at odds with the nation's founders, for they, when our nation faced its greatest peril, sought the blessings of the Creator. And further, they discovered the essential connection between the survival of a free land and the protection of religious freedom. In John Adams' words: 'We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our constitution was made for a moral and religious people.'

"Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone.

http://www.observer.com/2007/romneys-religion-speech
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:48 pm
okie wrote:
I agree with you, ican.

I am going to quote from Romney's religion speech as I was totally impressed by it.

"There are some who may feel that religion is not a matter to be seriously considered in the context of the weighty threats that face us. If so, they are at odds with the nation's founders, for they, when our nation faced its greatest peril, sought the blessings of the Creator. And further, they discovered the essential connection between the survival of a free land and the protection of religious freedom. In John Adams' words: 'We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our constitution was made for a moral and religious people.'

"Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone.

http://www.observer.com/2007/romneys-religion-speech

Amen.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:39 am
ican711nm wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

Really? I said that? Which post? Or did you use some artistic editing? Rolling Eyes

T
K
O
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 05:04 am
Diest TKO wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Actually, when you think about it.....

There actually is one thing which humans can do which could plausibly have an effect on the planet's climate:

Stop sinning.

That has been shown to be efficacious in preventing global floods.....

Being that there has never been a global flood, one ould conclude on exactly the opposite.

T
K
O

How much evidence for global floods would you like to see? Notice also that I used the word floods with an 's' (plural)....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:20 am
Did the flood manage to drown the viruses and bacteria living in the stratosphere and in underground water and in the deep oceans?

{head scratch, head scratch} and one can imagine some last moose slipping terrified below the waves but...um...rainbow trout and tuna and squid?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:51 am
blatham wrote:
Did the flood manage to drown the viruses and bacteria living in the stratosphere and in underground water and in the deep oceans?

{head scratch, head scratch} and one can imagine some last moose slipping terrified below the waves but...um...rainbow trout and tuna and squid?

Being witty and being educated aren't the same things...

The flood was a cosmic event which our planet ran into and you see descriptions of it in pretty much all antique literature and not just the bible.

If you want to discuss literature, we could talk about the versions of the flood story in the bible, in Ovid's Metamorphoses, Hesiod's Works and Days, or Mayan or Chinese versions of the tale if you're so inclined.

Geological evidence, there's Charles Ginenthal's compilation for starters...

Archaeological evidence, we now have ruins of antique cities offshore of India, Japan, and 2000' beneath the waves off Cuba...

Astronomical evidence, you have the missing oceans on Mars and no rational theory as to how they could have either been there in the first place or gone missing. My own GUESS ( I don't really own a time machine to check it) would be that the flood amounted to the oceans of Mars getting dumped onto this planet.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:20 am
gungasnake wrote:
blatham wrote:

The flood was a cosmic event which our planet ran into and you see descriptions of it in pretty much all antique literature and not just the bible.

If you want to discuss literature, we could talk about the versions of the flood story in the bible, in Ovid's Metamorphoses, Hesiod's Works and Days, or Mayan or Chinese versions of the tale if you're so inclined.

Archaeological evidence, we now have ruins of antique cities offshore of India, Japan, and 2000' beneath the waves off Cuba...

Astronomical evidence, you have the missing oceans on Mars and no rational theory as to how they could have either been there in the first place or gone missing. My own GUESS ( I don't really own a time machine to check it) would be that the flood amounted to the oceans of Mars getting dumped onto this planet.

gunga gunga gunga

You aren't really going to try and mount a defence of the biblical account of the flood, are you? Literally? Not a prudent idea.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:13 pm
gungasnake wrote:
blatham wrote:

Cute.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:31 pm
More than cute. It is pointing out the obvious, that perhaps global warmers that want us to believe the status guo is normal still do not understand or they do understand but think the rest of us are naive.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:33 pm
Yes, we all are being betrayed by a small clique of anti-christs.

Thanks God that you, gung, Bush et al are on guard.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
okie wrote:
More than cute. It is pointing out the obvious, that perhaps global warmers that want us to believe the status guo is normal still do not understand or they do understand but think the rest of us are naive.

AGW is pretty far from a claim that the entire earth was covered in water at once for a short period of time.

The crowbar that spreads: evidence.
K
O
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:29 pm
SPECIFIC RATHER THAN IMPLIED ATTRIBUTION TO DIEST TKO ...
Diest TKO wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

ican711nm wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Really? I said that? Which post? Or did you use some artistic editing? Rolling Eyes

T
K
O
Cool
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:47 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:

AGW is pretty far from a claim that the entire earth was covered in water at once for a short period of time.

K
O

Apart from biblical accounts, we can disregard that if you want for this discussion, geology pretty much proves water has covered most of the earth, if not all of it at various times throughout geologic history.

By the way, what evidence do you have that the earth is or would be static in terms of climate, without the impacts of man?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:50 pm
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:

K
O

Apart from biblical accounts, we can disregard that if you want for this discussion, geology pretty much proves water has covered most of the earth, if not all of it at various times throughout geologic history.

Well, what does this mean?

Geology has proven that continental drift exists and that lands rise and fall as a result; but nobody argued that didn't happened. What they argued is that the literal 'flood of the earth' as described in the bible is ridiculous and not based in any sort of science whatsoever. Your statement is tangential to the discussion at best.

And certainly not within the time of man. This is provable. Haven't you guys ever heard of Carbon dating?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:54 pm
There is no denying of periodic floods for eons, apart from the Biblical flood argument, so I don't see the point of arguing over that.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:54 pm
Okie - you're a geologist by training, right? Seems to me that water still covers most of the earth, but even in pangaea/panthalassa days at least some land was to be seen above the waters....

Anyway, this is a wonderful article from the latest Economist:

http://www.economist.com./world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10311405&CFID=784585&CFTOKEN=7416ff72f08dd724-0350E5CF-B27C-BB00-0143559B54AF33DD
Quote:
Molten iron raining down like cowpats; ice floes at New Orleans. The weather of 1783 was an extraordinary case of sudden climate change driven by atmospheric gases ....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:02 pm
High Seas wrote:
Okie - you're a geologist by training, right? Seems to me that water still covers most of the earth, but even in pangaea/panthalassa days at least some land was to be seen above the waters....

Correct. It has been a long time since we covered that in school, and my career did not deal with that issue, so I would need to review the current theories as anyone can, but the short answer is --- you are correct, and I think limestone is found within the geologic formations of virtually all current land masses, and anywhere limestone is found, water once covered.
0 Replies