Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:15 pm
okie wrote:
High Seas wrote:
Okie - you're a geologist by training, right? Seems to me that water still covers most of the earth, but even in pangaea/panthalassa days at least some land was to be seen above the waters....

Correct. It has been a long time since we covered that in school, and my career did not deal with that issue, so I would need to review the current theories as anyone can, but the short answer is --- you are correct, and I think limestone is found within the geologic formations of virtually all current land masses, and anywhere limestone is found, water once covered.

At the top of Sandia Crest, 10,600+ feet above sea level, which forms a lot of the eastern boundary of the northern part of Albuquerque, you find clearly identifiable sea fossils in the ancient rock dating back to the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. Before the teutonic plates shifted pushing the land up to its present elevation(s), I would imagine if anybody had lived in those parts during that time, they would have told tales of the time of the 'great flood' and how whatever God they prayed to brought it about and then made it go away.

But except for maybe Dinosaur farts, there were no greenhouse emissions during all that time that this country was covered by sea water and then rain forest that eventually gave way to the high desert plus alpine climates that we now have.

It looks very much to me like stuff happens whether we have anything to do with it whatsoever. If that is case with any global warming that has been happening over the last several decades, I think it highly foolish for us to spend precious resources, time, and energy in trying to stop that from happening rather than in improving the quality of life for the humans who have been adapting to changing climates since there have been people on Earth.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:17 pm
High Seas wrote:
Okie - you're a geologist by training, right? Seems to me that water still covers most of the earth, but even in pangaea/panthalassa days at least some land was to be seen above the waters....

Anyway, this is a wonderful article from the latest Economist:

http://www.economist.com./world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10311405&CFID=784585&CFTOKEN=7416ff72f08dd724-0350E5CF-B27C-BB00-0143559B54AF33DD
Quote:
Molten iron raining down like cowpats; ice floes at New Orleans. The weather of 1783 was an extraordinary case of sudden climate change driven by atmospheric gases ....

Quote:

http://www.economist.com./world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10311405&CFID=784585&CFTOKEN=7416ff72f08dd724-0350E5CF-B27C-BB00-0143559B54AF33DD
"AROUND mid-morning on Pentecost, June 8th of 1783, in clear and calm weather, a black haze of sand appeared to the north of the mountains. The cloud was so extensive that in a short time it had spread over the entire area and so thick that it caused darkness indoors. That night, strong earthquakes and tremors occurred."

Thus begins the eyewitness account of one of the most remarkable episodes of climate change ever seen. It was written by a Lutheran priest, Jon Steingrimsson, in the Sida district of southern Iceland. At nine o'clock that morning, the earth split open along a 16-mile fissure called the Laki volcano

UH OH!
Quote:

http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/D/1776-1800/war/peace.htm
The Paris Peace Treaty (1783)
…
Article 1:
His Brittanic Majesty acknowledges the said United States, viz., New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, to be free sovereign and independent states, that he treats with them as such, and for himself, his heirs, and successors, relinquishes all claims to the government, propriety, and territorial rights of the same and every part thereof.
…
Article 10:
The solemn ratifications of the present treaty expedited in good and due form shall be exchanged between the contracting parties in the space of six months or sooner, if possible, to be computed from the day of the signatures of the present treaty. In witness whereof we the undersigned, their ministers plenipotentiary, have in their name and in virtue of our full powers, signed with our hands the present definitive treaty and caused the seals of our arms to be affixed thereto.

Done at Paris, this third day of September in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and eighty-three.

Did the USA's negotiations with Britain leading up to the signing of that treaty cause the Laki volcano to erupt and mess up the earth's climate? Shocked

After all, those negotiations were concurrent with that eruption. :wink:
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:21 pm
Foxfyre, to expand the subject of history to CO2, it has been several times higher in geologic history than current levels. And a graph in this site seems to indicate levels over 470 ppm from co2 measurements during the 1940's, which is something new that I had not seen before. Is this credible? One would need to extend the graph to current levels of around 380 ppm. It would seem the curves would follow warmer temperature swings. Anyway, current levels are low when compared to prehistoric times.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1806245/posts
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:33 pm
okie wrote:
Foxfyre, to expand the subject of history to CO2, it has been several times higher in geologic history than current levels. And a graph in this site seems to indicate levels over 470 ppm from ice cores of ice formed during the 1940's, which is something new that I had not seen before. Is this credible? One would need to extend the graph to current levels of around 380 ppm. It would seem the curves would follow warmer temperature swings. Anyway, current levels are low when compared to prehistoric times.

I don't know if it is the case with all of them, Okie, but of those 400+ scientific AGW skeptics mentioned in the last few days, I know at least some have concluded that CO2 levels increase some time AFTER global warming has occurred rather than CO2 levels apparently preceding/causing global warming. And yes, more than a few have written notations of much higher CO2 levels in the ancient past. This certainly factors into their skepticism. On the grand scale of things, "record temperatures since we have been keeping records" isn't even a blink by which to judge long range forecasts of climate change.

I was reading yesterday that a large asteroid is on a possible collision course with Mars. It isn't the size of a 'global killer' but what if it was and was aimed at the Earth? Now that is a very real potential threat that occurs naturally, but which is something we might actually have a shot to do something about if we have our brightest and best working on it. I'd rather see our science dollars and manpower going into things like that.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
Agreed.

As this issue trucks along, I from time to time look into different aspects of this subject, and now I think I will look into the latest and greatest on the credibility of ice core data. I know this has been discussed alot at times, but I want to understand it better. The chief point is whether ice retains the CO2 to produce accurate measurements, or do gases escape, etc.? It seems to be of utmost importance to understand this, as we are now making huge policies and spending a ton of money as if this as if CO2 is a catastrophic problem, but I am highly skeptical that it is.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:40 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
okie wrote:
Foxfyre, to expand the subject of history to CO2, it has been several times higher in geologic history than current levels. And a graph in this site seems to indicate levels over 470 ppm from ice cores of ice formed during the 1940's, which is something new that I had not seen before. Is this credible? One would need to extend the graph to current levels of around 380 ppm. It would seem the curves would follow warmer temperature swings. Anyway, current levels are low when compared to prehistoric times.

I don't know if it is the case with all of them, Okie, but of those 400+ scientific AGW skeptics mentioned in the last few days, I know at least some have concluded that CO2 levels increase some time AFTER global warming has occurred rather than CO2 levels apparently preceding/causing global warming. And yes, more than a few have written notations of much higher CO2 levels in the ancient past. This certainly factors into their skepticism. On the grand scale of things, "record temperatures since we have been keeping records" isn't even a blink by which to judge long range forecasts of climate change.

I was reading yesterday that a large asteroid is on a possible collision course with Mars. It isn't the size of a 'global killer' but what if it was and was aimed at the Earth? Now that is a very real potential threat that occurs naturally, but which is something we might actually have a shot to do something about if we have our brightest and best working on it. I'd rather see our science dollars and manpower going into things like that.

I would suggest that instead of investing money into trying to stop a cosmic collision we instead organize large "prayer groups" and instil a theocracy in the USA. If an asteroid were to his earth it would obviously be because God was pissed at us. We should take whatever steps will put us on God good side again.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:42 pm
If an asteroid was about to hit, I guarantee you, maporsche, alot of people would be praying, and alot of them that were not even religious up to that point.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:43 pm
maporsche wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
okie wrote:

I would suggest that instead of investing money into trying to stop a cosmic collision we instead organize large "prayer groups" and instil a theocracy in the USA. If an asteroid were to his earth it would obviously be because God was pissed at us. We should take whatever steps will put us on God good side again.

Well be that as it may--I am never one to discourage prayer--I think God gives us a brain and ability and sufficient wisdom so that we can choose to us all three wisely. I am sort of the opinion that if you pray for a good corn crop, you need to sharpen your hoe anyway.

It might be helpful if you would pray for all those folks at Bali to develop informed common sense and recommend the best useful policies, however.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 04:48 pm
I agree with Fox and Okie that space research and exploration are a far, far better way to spend our money then on thing like Bali.

I probably don't agree with them, in that I think that space research is a far, far better way to spend our money then in silly wars. With the amount of money we've spent on Iraq, we could have beefed up our space defense forces (or gone and grabbed an asteroid) and won all possible wars by default.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:34 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:
More than cute. It is pointing out the obvious, that perhaps global warmers that want us to believe the status guo is normal still do not understand or they do understand but think the rest of us are naive.

AGW is pretty far from a claim that the entire earth was covered in water at once for a short period of time.

The crowbar that spreads: evidence.
K
O

How about, the entire INHABITED part of the Earth?

Man originally lived in water (do your own searches on Elaine Morgan) and is still a quasi aquatic creature which likes to bathe daily and mainly still lives, by preference at least, near water.

They say that 80% of the military targets in the world are within range of the guns of those Iowa class ships if they ever refit them, and that's without even talking about sabot rounds.

The inhabited part would have been the part that anybody knew anything about 4000 years ago. Moreover, for the most part, the water didn't go anywhere; it's still there. We're simply living for the most part on areas which would have been viewed as plateaus before the flood and would have been sparsely if at all inhabited.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:34 pm
Why don't they shorten the working day, reduce the number of working days in a week and have longer holidays.

That would reduce emissions wouldn't it?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:37 pm
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:
More than cute. It is pointing out the obvious, that perhaps global warmers that want us to believe the status guo is normal still do not understand or they do understand but think the rest of us are naive.

AGW is pretty far from a claim that the entire earth was covered in water at once for a short period of time.

K
O

Apart from biblical accounts, we can disregard that if you want for this discussion, geology pretty much proves water has covered most of the earth, if not all of it at various times throughout geologic history.

By the way, what evidence do you have that the earth is or would be static in terms of climate, without the impacts of man?

Dynamically stable, but never statically stable. I dont' believe any climate model has the earth ever being statically stable.

The claim of people like me is that human factors over a long period of time are having a dynamic effect on global climate. That effect, which is no more than a natural responce, causes many natural events which can have a extremely negitive effect on the many species (including humans) that inhabit the earth.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:40 pm
okie wrote:
If an asteroid was about to hit, I guarantee you, maporsche, alot of people would be praying, and alot of them that were not even religious up to that point.

I'll also garantee you that many people who have lived religious lives would break free of religious law and speand their last remaining days living as they wanted, not as they were instructed.

In short, many "believers" would find their time in prayer to be a futile and worse a waste of the remainder of their time alive.

T
K
O
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:57 pm
spendius wrote:
Why don't they shorten the working day, reduce the number of working days in a week and have longer holidays.

That would reduce emissions wouldn't it?

NO!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:31 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:

K
O

How about, the entire INHABITED part of the Earth?

Man originally lived in water (do your own searches on Elaine Morgan) and is still a quasi aquatic creature which likes to bathe daily and mainly still lives, by preference at least, near water.

They say that 80% of the military targets in the world are within range of the guns of those Iowa class ships if they ever refit them, and that's without even talking about sabot rounds.

The inhabited part would have been the part that anybody knew anything about 4000 years ago. Moreover, for the most part, the water didn't go anywhere; it's still there. We're simply living for the most part on areas which would have been viewed as plateaus before the flood and would have been sparsely if at all inhabited.

I'm not seeing a point in this post. What on earth are you trying to say?

T
K
O
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:57 pm
Diest TKO wrote:

That the story of the Noachean flood is a true story of a cosmic/solar-system-wide disaster and that the people who wrote the story down wrote it down the way THEY understood it and not the way YOU would understand such a thing, 4000 years later.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:01 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:

I'll also garantee you that many people who have lived religious lives would break free of religious law and speand their last remaining days living as they wanted, not as they were instructed.

In short, many "believers" would find their time in prayer to be a futile and worse a waste of the remainder of their time alive.

T
K
O

I doubt it very seriously, Diest. What were the folks doing on those planes before they crashed on 911? I don't think they were living it up.

And many an atheist have become religious in foxholes too, Diest.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:01 pm
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
okie wrote:

T
K
O

I doubt it very seriously, Diest. What were the folks doing on those planes before they crashed on 911? I don't think they were living it up.

And many an atheist have become religious in foxholes too, Diest.

I predicted such a responce.

In the face of doom, it's reasonable for people to become religious, but not the other way around. If you don't like my claim, know first that it comes with the same credibility that yours does. To attack mine is to destroy the validity of yours.

Remember, I didn't say you were wrong, I only added that the opposite would happen as well.

As for the people on the planes on 9/11, we don't know much about what happened before they tragically died, so your assumption means pretty much nothing. What little we know about flight 92, is that they weren't looking to god for help, they looked to each other and were planning to try and stop the terrorist plans.

But perhaps they should have not done that. Perhaps they should have stayed in their seat and prayed. Rolling Eyes

By the way, language such as "living it up" is different from "living as they wanted, not as they were instructed." Your's suggests that their remaining life would be spent on frivolous and trivial acts centered on themselves. Mine does not.

T
K
O

Post script - People are heating the earth.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:03 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

That the story of the Noachean flood is a true story of a cosmic/solar-system-wide disaster and that the people who wrote the story down wrote it down the way THEY understood it and not the way YOU would understand such a thing, 4000 years later.

Oh, I see. So the previous post was your evidence then? You didn't provide any evidence.

T
K
O
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:27 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

Oh, I see. So the previous post was your evidence then? You didn't provide any evidence.

T
K
O

I'm not in the habit of rising to bait. If anybody wants to actually learn something about the flood, feel free to ask.
0 Replies